Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Zenomorp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zenomorp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So with both the original MPU (had too many issues with it so I replaced it with a Rottendog), and after the new Rottendog was installed, at random times during attract mode the game will 'freeze' where all 4 displays go blank, the inserts shut off, and only the GI and backbox are lit. The game is in kind of a 'limbo' mode like it's waiting to boot. It's just like when you first turn it on and only the GI/backbox light up and after a few seconds the game boots, but nothing ever happens. I have to reset the game and then it works perfectly again. If I let it sit in attract mode, it will eventually happen again but it's at random times. Not an MPU issue since it happens with both the original and the replacement. I imagine it's a voltage issue but it's never happened during actual game play. Only in attract mode. Anyone encounter this before? I don't believe it's a watchdog or resetting issue since it never actually reboots after the issue occurs. It's like it tries to, but hangs up. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

#3 4 years ago

Power supply is all original and in good shape. I did a full refurb on the machine. Connectors not burned up and in good condition, but what I thought was odd is that it's only happening during attract mode. I won't be able to get access to the machine to do further testing until later today. I'll take some measurements and report back.

#6 4 years ago

Yes, the motor works fine. However, the previous owner converted it to 110vac when the original motor went out. He installed a 110vac motor and bulb. Works fine in attract mode and gameplay. Never seen the exact instant the issue occurs, so I can't say if it's related to the beacon or not, but that's really good idea/point.

#10 4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I installed a new power supply and it hasn't reset since. That solved the issue. Can't explain why, but it did.

However...the left hideout randomly fires twice, like the rollover switch is getting pressed. This happens intermittently but does not affect the gameplay. It's happened when just holding the ball in the right flipper, when the ball is moving around the playfield, not hitting any switches, etc. I first thought it was tied to a certain switch getting registered but I hit/activated every switch/target on the game manually and it never fired. It only happens during an active game too. I've never seen or heard it fire in attract mode. This happened with the original MPU, it's happening with the new MPU and with the new power supply. I removed the wires from the rollover switch completely and it still happened. So SOMETHING is telling the left hideout coil that the rollover switch is being activated even when the wires for the switch are completely disconnected from the switch. It shouldn't be possible. I'm thinking it's a diode somewhere on some switch, but like I said, it's not a vibration issue or switch issue that I can tell. I also verified the switch the registers the ball resting in the hideout is good. It's adjusted properly, functions properly, and clicks/unclicks properly when the ball is in/out of the hideout. And the game plays perfectly and multiball works perfectly. Again, it doesn't seem to affect anything gameplay wise. Just randomly fires twice like the rollover switch is being pressed. Does this make sense? Anyone ever experience this? I can play 3 or 4 games without it occurring, then it will happen twice in one game. I have no answer.

On another side note, what exactly are the hideout rollover switches for? Having them disconnected doesn't seem to change anything? Multiball still works fine and I can't see any difference from when they are hooked up.

#11 4 years ago

Further troubleshooting has revealed that the hideout rollover switches are there in case there is a ball resting in the hideout during multiball waiting for a ball to go into the other hideout, and a ball makes it's way into the hideout that already has a ball, the rollover switch will register a second ball in the hideout and it will kick the first one out. It's a safety measure, so to speak. Figured that out at least, but I'm still stuck with the issue of the left hideout firing twice randomly like it thinks there are two balls in there. It does it even if I remove the rollover switch from the hide out and remove the wires from the switch. I've tested and re-flowed the connections, diode, and resistor on the terminal block for the relay that controls the coil, and I've cleaned and re-seated the spade connections for the relay itself. Only think I haven't done is replace the relay but it seems to be working as advertised because multiball works perfectly and the hideout only fires at random times but it's never malfunctioned when a ball is actually in the hideout. It's very frustrating.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zenomorp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-freezing-during-attract?tu=zenomorp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.