(Topic ID: 259718)

High Speed flipper wiring, wrong on 2 machines?

By PghPinballRescue

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Capture (resized).PNG
    #1 4 years ago

I've got 2 High Speeds, side by side, both getting flipper kits.

Either they were all wired wrong from the factory, or the schematic is wrong?

Existing Upper Right Wiring:
    BLU-YEL to banded side of the diode
    BLK-YEL to non banded side of the diode
    EOS from center lug to non banded side with BLK-YEL

Existing Lower Right Wiring
    BLU-YEL to banded side of the diode
    BLU-VIO to non banded side of the diode
    EOS from center lug to non banded side with BLU-VIO

Existing Left Flipper Wiring
    GRY-YEL to banded side of the diode
    BLU-GRY to non banded side of the diode
    EOS from center lug to non banded side with BLU-GRY

According to the manual, the EOS should be wired from center lug to the banded side of the diode.

How is it possible that 2 machines from 2 different homes have functioned fine with the wiring wrong?

What am I missing here?

Here is a snip from the manual.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #2 4 years ago

To clarify, it appears to me that the EOS is cutting power to the hold winding rather than the power winding when the flipper is at full stroke.

#3 4 years ago

High speed shipped with Series wound flipper coils, so the wiring is different vs. Parallel wound coils (which came out around the time of BK2k).

I'd say the schematic is correct for series wound, the EOS is implying that it's shorting out most of the coil when it's at rest, which is correct.

Depending on which coils you ordered will determine how to proceed.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

To clarify, it appears to me that the EOS is cutting power to the hold winding rather than the power winding when the flipper is at full stroke.

You are correct, the manual is wrong. Williams corrected this in the Pinbot manual.

#5 4 years ago

Isn't what they printed correct for series wound coils, the EOS bypasses most of the coil for the power stroke then lets it there for the hold?

Attached is the pinbot one, I guess the error is the EOS should be on the non-banded side of the diode?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #7 4 years ago

No, there's only one winding on the coil. Parallel wound coils on williams came later. Bally/stern were already using them way back when so I'm not sure what Williams thought they were inventing there when they did.

#8 4 years ago

Manual is incorrect (riddled with many errors). A supplement was issued with the many corrections needed:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1176/Williams_1986_High_Speed_Amendments_and_Additions_to_the_Instruction_Manual_probable_date_Apr_2_1986.pdf

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

You are correct, the manual is wrong. Williams corrected this in the Pinbot manual.

That's right. The wiring schematic is wrong. It did get corrected starting with the Pinbot manual.

#10 4 years ago

Both highspeeds have NC EOS switches.

Correct, the EOS switch are NC as are all high current EOS switches.

#11 4 years ago

Thank you everyone.

With this new found info we should be able to get both back up and running in no time.

I think I would've been a lot further along if IPDB had the addendums posted on their site.

#12 4 years ago

There are other mistakes that are not in this addendum too.

#14 4 years ago

Off the top of my head, the beacon relay wiring.

#15 4 years ago

I think I would've been a lot further along if IPDB had the addendums posted on their site.

IPDB has had this info in the High Speed listing since 2015, as well as in their other two System 11 listings:

'High Speed' is the first of three Williams games that went into production using System 11. All three games have incorrect schematics showing the same error by depicting placement of the flipper end-of-stroke switch on the wrong side of the coil. As far as we know, all games left the factory correctly wired for EOS. Only the schematics were incorrect. No Manual Amendments or Service Bulletins have been found that acknowledge or correct this error. For a correct drawing of EOSS placement, consult the schematic for Williams' 1986 'PIN·BOT' or subsequent Williams games.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

IPDB has had this info in the High Speed listing since 2015, as well as in their other two System 11 listings:
    'High Speed' is the first of three Williams games that went into production using System 11. All three games have incorrect schematics showing the same error by depicting placement of the flipper end-of-stroke switch on the wrong side of the coil. As far as we know, all games left the factory correctly wired for EOS. Only the schematics were incorrect. No Manual Amendments or Service Bulletins have been found that acknowledge or correct this error. For a correct drawing of EOSS placement, consult the schematic for Williams' 1986 'PIN·BOT' or subsequent Williams games.

That's crazy, I completely missed it!

I don't normally read the specifics of each machine in the details unless I'm bored.

Thank you.

I'll be sure to update my shop manual with the correct info.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-flipper-wiring-wrong-on-2-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.