Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Shredso
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I decided to rebuild the flippers on my High Speed project. I wanted to change out the conical spring to the newer WPC style. The first coil I did I put the sleeve in the way the new games are. The bracket that holds the coil in place opposite of the stop didn't have the notch to mount it correctly. I ruined the coil trying to get the sleeve out again. The coil was toast anyway if it didn't come out easily. No big deal. Now I need a new coil. I see some people putting in the 11630 instead. I have a few of these on hand. I do not have the 23-600. My bracket also has the short EOS mount, not tall enough to drill for the return spring.

Should I just buy the proper bracket with the tall EOS bracket or is there an easy mod?

Should I replace the 23-600 with an original coil ir go with the newer 23=600?

#2 9 years ago

The 23-600 is a series wound coil. The 11630 is parallel so you would need to add a capacitor to it. If you are converting to WPC don't cheap out. Use the parallel coil and get all the proper parts. See this guide by Vid;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#3 9 years ago

Basically, you need all the same parts as used on a FH or a BoP

#4 9 years ago

Unfortunately the mounting plate doesn't have the capacitor bracket. As I said earlier it also won't allow me to drill a spot for the spring. I could have easily rigged something up for the spring, but I don't think the capacitor would be that easy. I'm wondering if all this is worth the hassle for a game I probably won't keep.

Is it a big difference between the series and parallel coils?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Unfortunately the mounting plate doesn't have the capacitor bracket. As I said earlier it also won't allow me to drill a spot for the spring. I could have easily rigged something up for the spring, but I don't think the capacitor would be that easy. I'm wondering if all this is worth the hassle for a game I probably won't keep.
Is it a big difference between the series and parallel coils?

Mount the spring in the PF with a hex screw. Don't need a bracket.
-mof

#6 9 years ago

I had a couple solutions for the spring. I guess the question is, do I buy a new 23-600 coil, or go for the full upgrade?

#7 9 years ago

I complected the flipper rebuild. I got impatient and didn't want to wait for parts so i used what I had. For the lower flippers I stuck with the original coils. I added the newer style return spring and reversed the coil. I needed to modify the bracket to accept the nub of the coil for proper mounting. I could have cut it off the coil but a drill and a file and about 20 minutes and it was perfect.

The upper flipper was the main reason for rebuilding and I was down one coil so I went with the Funhouse style with the cap and the 11630 (?). I had some spare used parts for this, but not enough for all 3.

Flippers feel great. I was told I wouldn't notice a power difference between the 2, just less arc because of the cap. It's tough for me to say which is better, old parts were all pretty worn. It's a totally different game being able to make the upper ramp. Thanks for the suggestions.

#8 9 years ago

If you want a "new game" feel -- put a new clear ramp on there. It's life-changing.
-mof

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for reminding me. I had an email in to get one then went on vacation and totally spaced on it. That was a couple weeks ago. Oops....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-flipper-rebuild-disaster-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.