(Topic ID: 145219)

High Speed Flipper Assembly Part numbers?

By defiant1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151214_212136-1.jpg
14500418894791073727498.jpg
1450041826410-782438867.jpg
1450041766114-1782253644.jpg
Flipper_Assembly_page.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 8 years ago

So, I looked in the HS manual and gives a Flipper assembly part number of C-9952-R.
1st Question: Is this part number the same to replace the HS right side flipper and the upper flipper assembly?

The manual also gives a flipper assembly part number of C-9953-L, but doesn't identify for sure if this is the left flipper. I searched online and could not find a reference/vendor that lists a C-9953.
2nd Question: What is the correct part number for the HS left side flipper assembly?

d1

#2 8 years ago

I attached the page from the manual for clarification. Any insight would be appreciated.

Flipper_Assembly_page.pdfFlipper_Assembly_page.pdf

#3 8 years ago

Are you in need of the entire assembly? If I needed the entire assembly I would use a newer WPC assembly. You would be correct in that the upper and lower right assemblies are the same. Secondly C-9953-L is the left assembly. Where the manual notes the 2 unique parts, these are the only parts that differ from the right assembly.

#4 8 years ago

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Are there any connection differences with the newer WPC assembly vs. the original?

Thanks again.

d1

#5 8 years ago

That depends on weather you are going to replace the existing coils or not. HS coils are series wound and WPC coils are parallel wound.

#6 8 years ago

GRUMPY is 100% correct on the coils if you choose to go with newer style ones.

You also would have to swap out the EOS switches as WPC assemblies use low voltage switches that close when you flip, and older (Sys 11) machines have high voltage switches that open when you flip. High Speed also has lane-change switches on the lower EOS flipper switch stack that would need to be transplanted if you want to keep the engine revving sound when the ball is in the shooter lane. I don't believe think there's one on the upper flipper as there is really no need for it, but I cant recall.

The coil stops will also be different, positioning the flippers slightly different at the end of travel. They can be changed of course. For the upper flipper this won't be a concern.

It sounds like alot but it's pretty easy to use a WPC assembly in any game for the most part; The real question is why do you want a whole flipper assembly? You should be able to upgrade any worn parts easily without needing a whole flipper mech and the headache that comes with that.

#7 8 years ago

It's worth it to replace the old mechs just to get rid of the crappy compression springs.

You can move the old coils to the new WPC mechs if you want to.

Step by step:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's worth it to replace the old mechs just to get rid of the crappy compression springs.
You can move the old coils to the new WPC mechs if you want to.
Step by step:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

I am a little confused on what parts I need for the upgrade, especially coil type and if there is anything different I have to accoint for with the 3rd upper flipper assembly the HS has. Are the parts below what I need:

ockquote cite="#1019065">Here's the complete set of links to UPGRADE your flippers to WPC Fliptronics-era flippers. (note: If you have a system 11A or earlier, you will likely be missing the capacitor bracket in your flipper bracket assembly, and you'll need new brackets as well (#6.)
1) these are required x1 ($21.50)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=983&parent=172
2) these are required x2 ($0.85)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=270&parent=60
3) these are required x2 (2x$2.50)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=262&parent=0
4) you "MAY" need these depending on which coil brackets you have x2 (2x $1.50)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=368
5) you "MAY" need these depending on whether your old ones are reusable/missing x2 (2x $1.30)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=276
6) you "MAY" need these depending on whether you have the capacitor brackets built into your flipper assembly brackets. Get L and R, one each. 2x ($9.25)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=259
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=260
Total Min cost:
$28.20
Total Max cost:
$43.05
OR, you can have an entire kit sent out $40: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=172
Hope that helps!
-mof

#9 8 years ago

1st. Are you going to upgrade?
2nd. Are you going to reuse your old coils?
3rd. If you get new coils are you staying with stock or upgrading to parallel?
What you need will depend on how you anwser these questions.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

1st. Are you going to upgrade?
2nd. Are you going to reuse your old coils?
3rd. If you get new coils are you staying with stock or upgrading to parallel?
What you need will depend on how you anwser these questions.

Yes, upgrading seems like the best option and seems to be the advice given of those held in high regard.

I will use new coils. And do not have an issue using parallel coils as long as it doesnt cause any second order effects to the HS System 11 electronics.

#11 8 years ago

Order 1 left and 2 rights with the correct parallel coils, all coils need to be the same on HS.
The EOS switch that comes with is not correct so order 3 of #03-7811 and replace when installing.
The coil stops are not correct for HS so order 3 #A-10280 coil stops from marco's. Couldn't find the right ones at PBL.
Since you are upgrading to parallel coils you will also need 3 of 2.2uf 250v Axial capacitors from PBL.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Order 1 left and 2 rights with the correct parallel coils, all coils need to be the same on HS.
The EOS switch that comes with is not correct so order 3 of #03-7811 and replace when installing.
The coil stops are not correct for HS so order 3 #A-10280 coil stops from marco's. Couldn't find the right ones at PBL.
Since you are upgrading to parallel coils you will also need 3 of 2.2uf 250v Axial capacitors from PBL.

Just to verify. I have read a couple different articles indicating to change the upper flipper to a different "strength" coil. Is this premise just for certain games or operator preference? Thank you for the assistance.

#13 8 years ago

I myself tend to keep things the way they were. They gave you a certain feel for each brand and system. I still have linear mechs in my older Bally's because I grew up with that feel. Yes they may be prone to more problems, but I'm not tring to make a living off of them. Now this is me, not you. Its your game and you should do what you think is right and nobody can tell you how you feel it should play. I hope I don't stir anyones pot.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from defiant1:

I have read a couple different articles indicating to change the upper flipper to a different "strength" coil.

Never change the flipper strength.

Just use the coils listed in the manual, or the equivalent parallel coil.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

High Speed also has lane-change switches on the lower EOS flipper switch stack that would need to be transplanted if you want to keep the engine revving sound when the ball is in the shooter lane. I don't believe think there's one on the upper flipper as there is really no need for it,

Also, what do I need to do to address the issue above?

#16 8 years ago

Are you saying that the lane change switches are missing on the bottom flippers. Also there isn't one on the top flipper.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Are you saying that the lane change switches are missing on the bottom flippers. Also there isn't one on the top flipper.

No, I was just inquiring if there was any issue incorporating the current lane change switch with the new EOS switch and/or flipper assembly?

#18 8 years ago

No problems with that, they should move over to the new flipper base using the old screws. Read Vids guide on rebuilding flippers, lots of info and great pics.

#19 8 years ago

Copy that.

#20 8 years ago

From the pictures on PBL, I noticed the coil lugs on the new assembly face the other direction vs. the original coil setup (which has the lugs next to coil stop). Will there be enough slack in the current wires to make the connection? Or am I going to have to splice in a length of wire to make up the difference?

Parts on order btw... This is becoming an expensive hobby...

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from defiant1:

From the pictures on PBL, I noticed the coil lugs on the new assembly face the other direction vs. the original coil setup (which has the lugs next to coil stop). Will there be enough slack in the current wires to make the connection? Or am I going to have to splice in a length of wire to make up the difference?

I just changed mine over last weekend and had the same issue (wires a bit too short) when I oriented the lugs away from the stop. You should be able to get enough slack by snipping one or more wire ties. You may have to reroute some wires (and then add wire ties to tidy things back up).

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballYeti:

I just changed mine over last weekend and had the same issue (wires a bit too short) when I oriented the lugs away from the stop. You should be able to get enough slack by snipping one or more wire ties. You may have to reroute some wires (and then add wire ties to tidy things back up).

Good to know. Thank you for the feedback.

1 week later
#23 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Coil stops. This is the assembly that I got to do the upgrade. It has the same coil stop that is currently in the game. Why do I need to swap out the coil stop with the A-10280? 1450041826410-782438867.jpg1450041826410-782438867.jpg
14500418894791073727498.jpg14500418894791073727498.jpg

1450041766114-1782253644.jpg1450041766114-1782253644.jpg

#24 8 years ago

I installed the new coil stop and it does not fit square against end of coil. Now what do I do?

20151214_212136-1.jpg20151214_212136-1.jpg

#25 8 years ago

Oval the holes of the coil stops so that the bottom moves closer to the coil. Then replace that switch and use your old lane change and a new high current EOS switch. Temporary install a bat in the bushing and put crank on, so you can adjust both switches easy before installing on the playfield. Then solder in the cap and EOS wires. Then your ready to mount to the P/F and add the last wires.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-flipper-assembly-part-numbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.