Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s6coil2.jpg
hsflip.jpg
hsswitch.jpg
hsfuses.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Once every three or four games (or so), F2 is blowing on my High Speed. Every single time it has happened, it has been at the moment of pressing the right flipper button.

This has only become a problem recently, and might coincide with replacing the flipper button double leaf switch on the right side.

Any suggestions?

#2 10 years ago

Check to make sure your switches are gapped properly on the right side that you replaced to start. Also verify the eos is gapped properly at the flipper.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Check to make sure your switches are gapped properly on the right side that you replaced to start. Also verify the eos is gapped properly at the flipper.

Thanks, didn't even realize improperly gapped switches would cause that. I know it's an 1/8th of an inch for EOS...is it the same for the flipper button switches?

#4 10 years ago

Check your EOS also on the right flipper(s) (remember there are two right flippers).

Check also all the wires to the lugs, make sure nothing is loose or frayed and shorting. This happened to me on a High Speed recently.

Flipper cab button probably isn't the cause but as it's a double switch - and you replaced it - check it carefully for loose wires, shorts etc.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Check your EOS also on the right flipper(s) (remember there are two right flippers).
Check also all the wires to the lugs, make sure nothing is loose or frayed and shorting. This happened to me on a High Speed recently.
Flipper cab button probably isn't the cause but as it's a double switch - and you replaced it - check it carefully for loose wires, shorts etc.

I widened the gaps a bit on the flipper button switch, and I bent the switch lugs away from each other on the EOS switches on both right flippers. Just played for 45 minutes and the fuse never blew.

Huzzah (for now)! Thanks all.

#6 10 years ago

...and...not actually fixed. Blew on my first game tonight.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

...and...not actually fixed. Blew on my first game tonight.

Just for a memory refresh....F2 is the fuse for the right flippers, or both? (I have a HS, and I honestly cannot remember!

#8 10 years ago

I'm not in front of the machine right now, but it's the lowest of the four fuses on the power supply (it's offset a bit to the right of the others). I think it's actually for all solenoids. When it's blown, you don't get anything: no flippers, ball doesn't launch into the shooter lane, etc.

Manual simply says: 2.5A, 250v, S-B...though I have a vague notion that there is a card inside the backbox that gives a little more info.

#9 10 years ago

Some things I would check in addition to both the EOS:

>.1 uf 500V cap on the right flipper button
> All four coil diodes on the lower and upper right flipper coils.
> All four coil windings (high and low) on the right flipper coils.

F2 5A S.B. on the flipper supply board protects both left and right flippers.
F2 2.5A S.B. on the power supply board protects all the +34VDC coils.

There is another 2.5A S.B. just for the hideout relays. I think this is under the playfield, but I no longer have my HS.

#10 10 years ago

After widening the gaps on the flipper switch so that I could more easily flip just the lower flipper without triggering the upper one, I noticed that the fuse blowing was only happening on really hard button presses. So I investigated the upper flipper.

Turns out, the coil diode had a bad solder joint on one side. Touched that up - no more problems! (Granted I only played 10 games, but that's by far the longest it has lasted in quite some time)

3 weeks later
#11 10 years ago

This is actually still an ongoing issue for me. (It's the fuse on the power supply board we're talking about).

I thought maybe I had it wired incorrectly and found a pic here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-guy-i-need-help-with-williams-high-speed-flipper-coil-wiring that shows that I did have it wired wrong. I still have the issue after rewiring to look like the one in the photo.

Will start going through the things mentioned by wayout. (The diode on the upper right is new).

Also when people say "check the eos"...mine its closed at rest, and opens when the flipper is extended. What would be wrong about the EOS that would cause a fuse to blow?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

This is actually still an ongoing issue for me. (It's the fuse on the power supply board we're talking about).

The fuse F2 on the main power supply board is for all the 34VDC solenoids and has absolutely nothing to do with the flippers at all.

F2 on the flipper power supply board is the one that is for the flippers. So to be certain, which is the one that is blowing?

hsfuses.jpghsfuses.jpg

#13 10 years ago

It's definitely the "other solenoids" fuse, on the main power supply board. When it blows, most solenoids no longer work...you can't even launch a ball because the trough won't feed them into the shooter lane.

I'm fixated on the flippers here because this fuse blows when the right flipper button is pressed (not every time...and I think the lower right flipper might be fine but it's the upper that causes it...again, sometimes).

#14 10 years ago

Have you tried leaving the game in solenoid test mode and letting it loop through it, say around a half dozen times, while watching to make sure every coil and flash lamp works and that none of these kill the fuse?

You should be able to operate the flippers with F2 blown, you should also be able to pull the solenoid connector 3J3 off the power supply in mid-game and still operate the flippers.

#15 10 years ago

Here's what I've done since: re-soldered the wires to the right flipper button switches (trying to put it back a little more cleanly than it previously was), checked the caps (which were good), and adjusted the upper right flipper EOS to be just a smidge wider when open.

Then I played about 10 games, trying desperately not to use the upper right flipper (pushing the button in only enough to activate the lower flipper, though I'd hit it hard enough to activate both about one in 10 or 20 flips) and had no problems.

Then I went full throttle and played for about 30 minutes, using the upper flipper whenever it was called for. No issues. So...maybe it was the wiring to the right flipper button switches?

Those are good suggestions wayout - I really appreciate the help. Not 100% sure this is resolved yet, but the last 30 minutes was a good sign.

I think the reason it seemed like the flippers weren't working after blowing the fuse is that you couldn't start a game, so it wouldn't let you flip.

2 weeks later
#16 9 years ago

Still having trouble with this. So, the upper right EOS doesn't activate in the switch tests. Even if I open it manually (not by flipping). Shouldn't it? I thought perhaps there was a bad connection, but there is continuity to the coil lugs when closed, and not when open. And I just replaced it with a brand new coil. Same thing...opening the switch manually doesn't trigger anything in the switch test.

I'm stumped.

#17 9 years ago

Yes, manually making the EOS contact/break contact should make a sound or show something on display while in switch edge test. If left & lower right are testing good, then it stands to reason problem lies on upper right's adjustments (especially if this was the one you were just working on). That being said, if all are within limits, perhaps something else power related is going on.

To answer your question "What would be wrong about the EOS that would cause a fuse to blow?". My simple-minded (me, not you) explanation would be that normally no power is going through except for minimal instances (pushing button), but if the leafs are touching when they shouldn't be (or vice versa) all the time, it's getting juiced more than was intended & blowing the fuse is a precautionary measure to avoid frying further components. Good luck.

#18 9 years ago

I see it's been mentioned that perhaps something is grounding out, I'd double check that and also ensure wires were soldered to correct terminals on the coil.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Still having trouble with this. So, the upper right EOS doesn't activate in the switch tests. Even if I open it manually (not by flipping). Shouldn't it? I thought perhaps there was a bad connection, but there is continuity to the coil lugs when closed, and not when open. And I just replaced it with a brand new coil. Same thing...opening the switch manually doesn't trigger anything in the switch test.
I'm stumped.

ozuba is correct....* LOWER flipper * EOS switches are #37 and #38 in the switch test, and yes they should trigger the switch test when the flipper is operated manually.

#20 9 years ago

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. What would be the best way to test if/where it's grounding out?

I have it wired just like in the pic here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-guy-i-need-help-with-williams-high-speed-flipper-coil-wiring#post-122671

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

So, the upper right EOS doesn't activate in the switch tests. Even if I open it manually

I think you are a little confused about these switches:
The upper right EOS won't activate in the switch tests, the entire upper right flipper circuit is in parallel with the right lower flipper circuit. Only the lower right and lower left flippers will activate switch tests, the secondary switch on the EOS should be green/black wire on both the left and right with a white/green wire on the left flipper switch and a white/blue wire on the right switch. These switches are used to give you the "engine revving" sound when operating the flippers.

hsswitch.jpghsswitch.jpg

#22 9 years ago

If you are having a problem with the upper flipper not working, but the lower flipper is working perfectly, then your problem is something in the yellow area in this schematichsflip.jpghsflip.jpg. Everything outside this yellow area would be good.

hsflip.jpghsflip.jpg

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

ozuba is correct....EOS switches are #37 and #38 in the switch test, and yes they should trigger the switch test when the flipper is operated manually.

Redacted. Just now seeing your previous posts.

#24 9 years ago

Upper flipper EOS is used for the sole purpose of cutting out the high power side of the coil, so that the hold winding keeps the flipper up, that's it.

The lower flippers have the additional switches that feedback button presses to the CPU switch matrix, used in HS to activate revving engine sound.

#25 9 years ago

Just wanted to follow up with this in case anyone else stumbles across it.

I put a little hat (of sorts) on the part of right flipper leaf switch that controls the upper right flipper (to disable the flipper). The fuse did blow while playing, so now I knew it was the lower right flipper. Not sure why I had been fixated on the upper right all along - but perhaps because it always seemed to happen while hitting hard to make the ramp shot.

I then started messing with both right EOS switches, wondering maybe they weren't opening enough at full extension of the flipper. My very next game, the upper right flipper was weak, really weak, and then it started getting stronger with each flip, until finally the fuse blew (and it happened pretty quick, maybe in 20 flips total...which was much quicker than normal). I look at it again, the EOS was not closed at rest (and it should have been, this is a normally closed switch).

So...now I realize that the problem all along has been EOS switches not closed when at rest. I adjusted both right side EOS to ensure they are tightly closed at rest, and no more problems.

Though it was frustrating to spend weeks troubleshooting something that turned out to be a tool-less 20 second fix, it was a good lesson to learn. I just wasn't aware that an open EOS could cause this. And, the fuse that was blowing isn't the one I would have expected, given that it seemed to be a flipper issue.

The lesson came in handy when after finally getting the right side working, I almost immediately blew the same fuse flipping the left flipper (it had never happened from that before). I changed out the old pitted, charred EOS, made sure it was adjusted correctly, and back to playing in no time.

Thanks all!

1 week later
#26 9 years ago

Okay, so this actually still isn't fixed. I'm going to go investigate right now.

Things I've done recently:

- Replaced the upper right coil. Still had issues.
- Moved the old upper right coil to the lower right flipper. I did this because it wasn't going to be easy to test the diode on the lower right coil, and I knew the one on the old upper right was good. Still had issues.
- Replaced the (brand new 1 month ago EOS) on the lower right flipper. This EOS had become a bit charred, and looked like it might not have always been making contact when at rest (even when I tried to push it back together). Still having issues.

Does it mean something that this EOS became a bit charred, after only being in for a few dozen games? Other than perhaps it was not gapped correctly?

One other thing that seems to be happening more frequently now - I'll get a "warning". Hit the right flipper button while playing and the flippers die, ball drains, and I hear the beep - that sound it makes when the game has all the balls in the trough and is ready. Then I can start a new game, and the fuse will eventually blow in the next few games.

I've never had the "warning" happen more than once. It's always closely followed by the fuse blowing.

The resistance on all three coils seems consistent with one another (remember, one of them is brand new). The one thing I haven't done yet is tested the coil windings. How do I do that specifically?

#27 9 years ago

One other thing I tried - I bent #38 (the lower right engine revving EOS) in such a way that it would always stay open). Still blew the fuse.

And now I'm out of fuses.

#28 9 years ago

I gotta admit, my heads a little spinning. Maybe it's that I have not finished my second cup of coffee yet.

Ryan roll back up: Didn't you confirm it was the "other solenoids fuse" 2.5A SB that was blowing, and is this the same one that is blowing now?

Not sure about this warning beep thing: Do you mean the power up confirmation tone/beep, the one that starts (should start) every time you power on the game?

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I gotta admit, my heads a little spinning. Maybe it's that I have not finished my second cup of coffee yet.
Ryan roll back up: Didn't you confirm it was the "other solenoids fuse" 2.5A SB that was blowing, and is this the same one that is blowing now?
Not sure about this warning beep thing: Do you mean the power up confirmation tone/beep, the one that starts (should start) every time you power on the game?

Yes, it's the other solenoids fuse (the 2.5A SB). It has always been that same fuse. And yes, I do mean the power up confirmation tone/beep.

Thanks for still helping me on this.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The fuse F2 on the main power supply board is for all the 34VDC solenoids and has absolutely nothing to do with the flippers at all.
F2 on the flipper power supply board is the one that is for the flippers. So to be certain, which is the one that is blowing?

hsfuses.jpg 89 KB

From what I am reading in this thread, I would follow what wayout440 said.

"The fuse F2 on the main power supply board is for all the 34VDC solenoids and has absolutely nothing to do with the flippers at all."

I would stop looking at the flippers as the cause.

Have you followed the other advice from wayout440,

"Have you tried leaving the game in solenoid test mode and letting it loop through it, say around a half dozen times, while watching to make sure every coil and flash lamp works and that none of these kill the fuse?"

That is where I would be looking, not the flippers.

8 months later
#31 9 years ago

I am having the same problem on my game and was reading all the suggestions and updates hoping for answers then the thread just stopped. Did you ever find a solution to the problem discussed in this thread?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from dchomin:

I am having the same problem on my game and was reading all the suggestions and updates hoping for answers then the thread just stopped. Did you ever find a solution to the problem discussed in this thread?

Unfortunately this is still an issue - but it's so infrequent that I've just been replacing the fuse every few weeks instead of trying to resolve it. I'm interested in figuring it out though, so hopefully I'll have an update eventually.

1 month later
#33 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Unfortunately this is still an issue - but it's so infrequent that I've just been replacing the fuse every few weeks instead of trying to resolve it. I'm interested in figuring it out though, so hopefully I'll have an update eventually.

Those intermittent problems can be buggers. I often hope something will just plain DIE to make it easier to find.

...my spidey senses tell me some coil is borderline or staying on just a little too long, maybe getting stuck when you don't realize it. Good luck, post when you find it!

#34 9 years ago

Here is the latest on this...

Talked to the local repair pro, who immediately asked if I had the capacitor on the EOS. I didn't. I had actually done a rebuild with new EOS switches, but did not put the capacitors on because, hey, they weren't there previously and it was working fine.

When asked why a non flipper fuse would blow because of that, he said that one of the other fuse values was probably wrong.

So...I discovered that the one single fuse (the one in the lower right of the backbox, not mounted on any board with "2.5a slow-blow" label) was a 5A fast blow. I added a capacitor to the EOS, changed the fuse to the correct value, and have played a few games with no issues.

However, the problem was so intermittent, that I can't say for sure this is fixed. I need to put capacitors on the other two EOS switches, and then play for a few hours and see what happens.

I really have no idea if this accomplished anything yet.

#35 9 years ago

The EOS capacitor wouldn't be the fix...it is there to reduce sparking which prematurely wears out the EOS switch contacts. However, the fuse being wrong can be a problem. Slow blow fuses allow large brief surges of current well above their rated value to pass without opening up, where the standard fast blow does not.

3 weeks later
#36 9 years ago

Just wanted to give a little update and ask for a clarification.

The main flippers each have two leaf switches. The first one that gets triggered is closed at rest, and the second one is open at rest.

I nearly rolled the score a week or two ago, and got to enter my initials for the first time in a long time. The right flipper button wouldn't cycle through the letters, but the left would.

So, I went into test mode to check that out, and discovered that the left EOS was triggering when flipping, but the right was not. I looked at it, and visually, the first switch is opening, and the second switch *looks* like it is closing, but it actually wasn't. I adjusted it, and now it closes. (And re-reading my posts above, I can see that I may have adjusted it to not close intentionally).

It's that second switch that triggers the EOS switch message in switch test. Is that correct? Looking at the matrix it doesn't seem like both switches are listed there.

TL;DR Which switch is *actually* the EOS switch, and which one is for the revving? And which of those two should trigger the message in switch test?

#37 9 years ago

The switch matrix switch is the one that triggers the message and the revving. The EOS switch only controls when the high and low power coils are active. Be careful if working on these with power applied, you'll fry the CPU switch matrix is you accidentally short the EOS to the switch matrix switch.

s6coil2.jpgs6coil2.jpg

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The switch matrix switch is the one that triggers the message and the revving. The EOS switch only controls when the high and low power coils are active. Be careful if working on these with power applied, you'll fry the CPU switch matrix is you accidentally short the EOS to the switch matrix switch.
s6coil2.jpg

Cool, thanks for your help wayout.

One of the right side flipper coils had one of its wires (to a lug) stretched tightly and passing across one of the other lugs. Adjusting that so it wasn't touching the other lug anymore was the last thing I did (a few weeks ago) and I haven't had any issues since then.

Hoping it's fixed, but I've done so many small things and it happened so infrequently, that I don't think I'm going to be quite sure what the actual fix was.

#39 9 years ago

Sometimes its the the tiniest things....have you tried working on EMs ? . Playing the crap out of it is usually a pretty good indication of problem resolution.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-f2-blowing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.