(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1871 Lane change and EOS positioning. Posted by GRUMPY (6 years ago)

Post #2703 Original flipper wiring photos. Posted by Pin-Pilot (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waveform.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5078 2 years ago

I technically joined the club at the end of October, but have just been lurking and using some of the background info to get my High Speed (also my first machine) into the best shape I can. So, hey eveybody, thanks!

Has been a fun process from learning to re-connect the backbox on day one (picked it up off a friend who had it in two pieces in storage) through to tearing down and reassembling the whole playfield for cleaning, new plastics/rubbers, LEDs for all the lighting, fuses for the bridge rectifiers, two new full flipper assemblies, fixing a cracked standup target; various switch adjustments and things so far. Throughout, the machine has been good fun to play, and it's exciting to see it slowly getting even better.

Been letting one issue linger - all the music works as expected from the background sound board, but I get nothing for sound effects or voice samples from the main board (this was a known issue when I picked it up and had started during the time my friend owned the game). So, next I plan to investigate that to decide if I am up to doing my own troubleshooting on the board or need to send it off to a pro. I'm pretty comfortable with a meter/soldering iron/schematics, but there's always some self-doubt as this would be a fair bit deeper than I've taken that experience before.

After that, I guess I'll be facing down whether I want to do the work for a hardtop or a full replacement playfield

Annnd, I think that's enough of a wall of text to say hello, thanks, glad to be here!

#5082 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

One more thing. I asked someone with a lot of experience about an overlay for my High Speed. Answer: Do not do it. Almost impossible to get it to align perfectly and over time dust and dirt will get underneath the overlay. As for a full playfield replacement...I have an incredible amount of respect and admiration for anyone that can do it. I am an engineer and think i can do just about anything with a little work and research - I would never try to do a playfield replacement...Once you start there is no turning back.

I appreciate you sharing your experience and cautionary notes - I have heard elsewhere about the concern over doing damage to traces and other issues with learning to work on these old boards, so put up another point leaning me toward sending it out to a pro after doing a little testing to see if I can't understand at least where the root cause may be.

As for the overlay, it seemed in my reading of threads on these forums that the hardtops from Outside Edge were generally better liked than other overlays. Do you know if your reference was speaking specifically to that product or another one? My playfield has a fair amount of wear, and soon it'll probably be the "worst" part of my instance of the table (though not so bad as to have much impact on the playing), so improving on it is definitely appealing if possible for some "reasonable" cost/effort. So far, I have relatively little cost into the machine and all my effort has been a fun learning experience.

Definitely looking forward to adding another game or two to the collection in the not too distant future, but had it in mind to get closer to "finished" with changes to this one before adding another. I also do have a Williams Phoenix (my friend was happy to get it out of his storage for free when I bought the HS off him), but that may likely be more of a project than I am motivated to take on for a machine I probably would end up just giving away or selling at very low cost. High Speed is probably mine to keep.

HS_Playfield (resized).jpegHS_Playfield (resized).jpeg
#5084 2 years ago

The problem is - It is real hard to diagnose the one actual problem that is happening with these machines. Unless it is an obvious burnt transistor or something like that. As for damaging the traces - It is done by experts and beginners - Just happens with old circuit boards. And fixing bad traces - though it looks easy - Is not. And sometimes hard to know which board to send out to be fixed. Working on these games is just hard work. Many times trying to fix one problem means creating 2 other problems. My suggestion - and again I make many bad decisions....Try to fix the sound problem yourself. Read some things....Take the board out and look at it. Find out which part of the board does the sound and start there. I must say I had a problem with the sound and just moved a few wires around and pressed some connectors and got it to work. Am I an expert and fixed it and know what was wrong. No.
My friend did not specifically say which overlay she was talking about. Looking at your machine....Yeah I would definitely look to do something to the playfield. But again - I make a lot of mistakes and bad decisions. I know there are some overlays/hardtops that just use gravity and friction to lay flat instead of sticking. I would probably try one of those. Need to take everything off the playfield - which is doable just takes time - get some good magnetized screwdrivers and socket wrenches. If it does not work you are only out money and you have gained experience - So not a bad tradeoff. One thing I have done is put in some double "spotlight" lights under the trees near the back to help light up the corners. And if you are really into it - Go get some of the mods offered by RobTune. They are all pretty good.

Actually just ordered the robtune stoplight and tree spacers yesterday. Been eyeing those freeplay40 ramps, too. Of course, those things being nice and shiny new also help to draw attention to the state of the playfield, but at some point, the playfield will probably be improved one way or another.

#5088 2 years ago

Is the backglass for sale on Marco a resale of the CPR or a different take on it? It also notes having proper mirrored sections instead of a flat print like I have seen on at least one other product. My glass is rough, but looks pretty much fine when illuminated, so it is low on my list considering the cost - nice to have other’s perspectives on the quality of the options, though.

#5090 2 years ago

Pretty sure as in Real sure the Marco back glass is made by CPR.

Cool, yea I’m not yet familiar with how all that stuff is produced/sourced and didn’t know if cpr is the only one making decent backglass.

Yours does have an interesting pattern going Mine has pretty significant bubbling, but it doesn’t standout too terribly when lit - luckily not much cracking. One day when everything else is finished, I’ll probably grab a new one, since I’m sure even if it isn’t quite as good as the best condition originals, it is a lot better than mine .

image.jpgimage.jpg
#5092 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryancaseystudio:

Hey guys. I've had my HS for about a year now and the only thing that is driving me crazy is the significant humming I get from both speakers during attract mode. It matches the light show and I'm assuming it's a grounding issue somewhere but I don't know where to start. Plus I don't know what I would do to figure it out. Any direction or ideas would be appreciated. It drives me insane.

I’m sure some deeper experts will have some additional thoughts, but I had noticed mine doing the same - for me it got a lot better when I replaced one particular bulb in my swap from incandescent to LED (under hideout jackpot - based on the timing of the noise paired with the lighting pattern, it also matched when this one was lit).

Also, I had the 1/4A fuse populated on my power supply, even though I didn’t need it, because my machine has pinscore displays - removing that to disable the highest voltage circuit further reduced the noise my machine makes. There is still some hum, but is acceptable now - perhaps a couple things that might spark ideas for things to test.

#5095 2 years ago

The pattern on my backglass is so interesting it almost looks like it belongs - except it is only on one side.
Your backglass looks a lot brighter than mine....What bulbs are you using behind the backglass?
As for the speaker humming....I had a speaker humming problem and I replaced both speakers. Also looked at all the wiring for the speakers and for that cheap volume turning switch and moved them around a little and got rid of most of the humming. No idea what the problem really was.

I used 44/47 Frosted Premium-Non Ghosting warm white bulbs ordered from cointaker on a recommendation from a friend for all the 44s behind the backglass and above the playfield. Used other premium/nonghosting bare bulbs or flex versions of them for certain tricky inserts to get more even alignment, #63 replacement in all the flashers (clipped the warming resistors), and these 2LED bulbs with clear tops in the pop bumpers.

Pretty happy overall - I personally like a somewhat natural look and don’t often love complex colored LED arrangements, myself. My flashers have a very slight momentary glow (nothing close to a flash) along with all the GI getting very slightly less bright for a split second if I flip wildly. Have seen thoughts on how to possibly deal with this (current reversing through some diodes possibly as the voltage sags?). But, it reaaally doesn’t bother me - have seen lots of other games of this era blink worse on flipper flips.

As for hum, I feel like it could be so many things from power supply noise, aging filter capacitors, grounding, etc - definitely a lot to track through. It doesn’t feel like these machines were designed to have clean audio, and adding years of aged components, broken grounds, etc doesn’t help.

But, I love that they put an early FM synth chip in there along with the sample playback stuff, so I will excuse them the noise. It’d be fun to try to get it really really clean, but also could be fun to just blast it out with a fuzz distortion circuit and a noise gate (says musician and electronics tinkering brain).

edit to note: i think my phone cam is also doing some low light trickery, because the bulbs are not blindingly bright in GI or washing out the decals on the inserts the way it appears in the photo

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#5123 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Hi there. Not sure if you sorted out the sound issue. Reminds me of an issue I had long ago. In my case it was one of the opamp chips on the main board. The circuit is separate between the background sound and the effects.. So it's worth following that path, can't recall if this was all clear in the schematics or if I read it elsewhere. The sound is amazing in this game.. So Def something to sort out.

Hey koji, thanks for the thoughts! I've been distracted from much more work on the High Speed the past couple weeks while working on not-pinball-related things. BUT, this was a hunch of mine too on a really surface level understanding of the MPU layout that I've got so far. I had done some basic meter tests to make sure power at various points around MPU sound components was correct, and had confirmed the sound selector pins on one of the chips were correctly cycling through during sound test (both because these were quick easy tests to do). Need to make my way a little further along that path when I have more time again soon.

Also, KSUWildcatFan, thanks a bunch for sharing your experience with the hardtop. I've got a Wonka incoming that will ease the pressure on the High Speed as my only playable pin. If I can get the sound fx working (or when I decide to send it off to a pro), I likely am also going to get a translucent red ramp on order along with the hardtop. Then, just need to set aside a bunch more weekend time into making this thing the best version of itself I can. The fact I'm still loving playing it, even sans sound fx, months after I picked it up gives me some confidence the effort will be worthwhile and I'll be keeping this thing a very long time

3 months later
#5355 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Hi guys. I have noticed that the Drive Again light down by the flippers isn't illuminating during games. I've replaced the bulb and wiggled the socket around some. All seems ok with that and the wire connections.
I also did the lamp test on the diagnostics and the Drive Again light does not illuminate. Is it supposed to light up then? I also noticed the outlane lights did not illuminate during the lamp test. I haven't broken out the schematics yet. Any tips for what I should dig into first?
Thanks,
Tom

According to the lamp matrix table in the manual, the outlane special lights and drive again light are all on column 1, along with some others (Game Over, Match, Ball in Play, and the 1000 Arrows at left/right spinners). If they're all not functioning during testing, that connector/wire is a good place to start (Connector 1J7-1). I know the wire landed on the connector for column 7 is touchy on my machine - if it gets pulled, I lose the whole column of connected lamps, but I can reseat it into the connector and it'll work again for a long while (need to get around to a more permanent fix eventually).

1 month later
#5392 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballboy:

I need some help, my high speed is having issues with switches, everything works except, the 3 red yellow green targets on the middle and upper left, the left ball kick out and the 20,000 light kickback switch on both sides, there could be more issues but I haven’t found them yet, let me know what might fix that.

By not working, do you mean not registering at all or multiple switches registering when a single one is activated, or something else?

Those are all in one column of the switch matrix - 1J8-3. So, you may want to start by checking that wire is well seated into its connector on the board. If that doesn't resolve it, then look closely at each switch for loose wires, diode problems, etc. A problem with any of those things could take out the whole column, as I understand it. If all of that looks good, maybe someone with deeper knowledge can chime in where they'd go next (not sure if specific board components or what).

HSSwitchMatrix.jpegHSSwitchMatrix.jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waveform.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over?tu=waveform and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.