(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1871 Lane change and EOS positioning. Posted by GRUMPY (6 years ago)

Post #2703 Original flipper wiring photos. Posted by Pin-Pilot (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1573 7 years ago

I just got one last weekend. It's a project for sure, but I want to make sure it's running well and play it before it gets restored. With the ROMs I have, will there be anything major missing or wrong?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1577 7 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Everything seems to be there. Are you going to paint and clear that playfield or sand and overlay? Super fun game, welcome to the club. Will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sand and overlay. I already have the overlay and will practice that method soon on my 69 Joust that is finished aside from the PF overlay/clear and cabinet decals.

Quoted from rwarren28806:

I believe there should be 2 rubbers along the back.

All of the rubbers will have to be replaced. I rolled the ball around, hit a yellow post and half of it chunked off. :p

Are there cabinet decals for HS? I'm just seeing stencils and I'm not sure which way I want to go with this. Just looking for a very nice player restore, not a CQ one because I intend to play this a lot.

#1579 7 years ago

Checked as much as I know to do on my newest project, so it was time to put everything together and see what happens. Here's the list:

Cabinet/playfield... Already knew that part
The transistor that I replaced that was split into 3 pieces had an overheating coil, but it wasn't locked on. This is mystery priority #1.
Plunger spring is not proper, and weak.
Music, sound FX work, but zero voice callouts. Lots of buzz. Noticable at all times, but in attract mode, buzz is synced with insert lighting moving around.
Upper ramp diverters didn't divert when light was red.

The thing about that transistor is the coil was getting hot, but never locked on. I wiggled the transistor until it broke off and then tested it (since I assumed it was dead) and it was giving .5xx V, so not dead after all. Hovered over the coil that was very hot after 2 games earlier today, room temp without the transistor. This is a new one for me, any guesses?

1 month later
#1597 7 years ago

Got my rebuild kits in and did all 3 flippers last night. Would have gone a lot faster if coil sleeves were better toleranced. Some are smooth as silk coming out and others get to be ripped apart with pliers. I can say that having rev 1 and 2 roms (pictured in here somewhere) makes this game buggy as all getup. Multiball is possible, but it is very goofy trying to get it to admit that I can try to getaway. I had the red lights lit for a while and was looping the ramp a few times in a row, nothing. Goes into the kickback lane, boom, does the mulitball queue when it sends the ball back.

Oh, and the voice callouts that I thought weren't there, are there. Took a really long game to get one to happen, but I think it's just the old code. Will have some new ROMs coming at some point, but I want to record this game with the current ROMS to show the difference when I get the new ones.

This game is so fun.

1 week later
#1609 7 years ago

I was getting some terrible speaker buzz. When I got my game, the CPU was in the cab and I only had 2 bolts to hold it up in the head. The buzz was so bad that it was the same level as the actual sounds. I got the rest of the hardware to bolt the board in and the buzz seems to be 100% gone. Now, if nothing is happening, there is what sounds like a car idling that you can hear during lulls (as opposed to lolz) in the music. Even if it's not supposed to be like that, I'm super happy with the way things sound.

#1611 7 years ago
Quoted from sneakerpin:

Hello,
New issue with machine. When I power on, everything OK in attract mode, however, flippers activate when you hit the respective flipper button. This happens before a credit is inserted or game is started...
If the issue is related to the CPU board, also let me know, as I just had most of the board repaired, and want to know where to look!
Thanks

There is a relay that activates the flippers. Sounds like yours is either locked shut, or is grounded so it's always activated.

1 week later
#1615 7 years ago
Quoted from Fourbyracer:

I have a brand new set of CPR plastics that I could probably be convinced to break up. All the plastics are new with the backing still on them.
I also have 2 CPR toppers, 1 installed but in excellent condition and comes with brackets, the other not installed, with protective covers still on, no brackets.
Finally a custom keychain made out of a broken plastic "Drive 55 and Stay Alive". Pretty cool on the keys I leave in the front of the machine.
Here are the pics of what I have.
** PM me with offers on any pieces you are looking for. ** Shipping $5 (or less if it costs less). $10 for the toppers

How much for the whole thing? I will need all of them for my restoration.

1 month later
#1647 7 years ago
Quoted from CharlieFriday:

Hey all! Snagged my first pin, a high speed that needs a little love. Picking it up sometime in the next couple of weeks.
The colors look great but the PF does have some wear here and there. What's the general consensus on that? Leave it?
Thanks!

Get it and then post some pictures here. I would suggest cleaning and waxing the playfield. That will get the dirt off and keep it reasonably protected so you can play the heck out of it. Check the batteries for leaks and just replace them anyway. If there is acid damage, we can help deal with that.

Outside of that, it might be a matter of if you notice things (switches/coils) not working. Everything can be fixed, but the main board is hard to find, so be nice to it and handle it only if you need to.

2 weeks later
#1668 7 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

That's fine if you *can* catch it. I'm pretty sure Ritchie didn't intend for it to shoot the ball through the flippers after successfully completing the ramp shot, though...

Can you post a video? And the way I play it is if it comes out of the left or right side kickout, put the flipper up and let it run into it and it will come to rest.

#1670 7 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Will do. I tried holding the flipper up, and it works some of the time, while other times it just wings off wildly (slingshot, outlane, go cry yourself to sleep "Speeder 1"...)

Is the wire form tight? Sounds like it's rattling a little and so you are getting random feeds from it.

1 month later
#1704 7 years ago

My speaker grill was coming off when I got mine. I pulled it the rest of the way off, took off the fabric, and have it sitting in the sun under a sheet of glass to try and flatten it out a little. Do I have any options for what fabric to put on there? Anyone seen anything cool that I might look into for mine?

Also, One of my pops was blowing a transistor. I put a new one in and it killed that too. Any suggestions as to what to inspect? I don't think the coil was getting locked on, but it was hot, so who knows. I think the game played a little while before I noticed the smell.

#1706 7 years ago

That speaker section looks pretty sweet.

#1708 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If the coil was hot, it was locked on at some point. If the coil locks on when you hit the power switch, the driver, predriver and coil diode are bad. If the coil locks when you start a game then you have a logic chip problem. The problem is that if a coil locks on for one second the current that flows thru the coil is more than the TIPs and diodes can handle and they need to be replaced, period. If you could smell the coil burning then the coil and sleeve are shot and need to be replaced. The first thing you need to check is the skirt and switch for the pop bumper. If the skirt doesn't move freely or sticks then the switch will stay closed and melt another coil. Make sure the switch is gaped properly. Then replace the coil, diode and sleeve, but leave one wire off. Replace the TIP 122 with a TIP102 as they are stronger and replace the predriver. Reinstall the CPU and power on the pin. Touch the wire to the coil lug, nothing should happen. Start a game and retest the coil again, still nothing should happen. Turn off power and resolder the wire on the coil.

Have not checked the coil diode yet, but I have the board in hand. Q77 is what is toast, and Q76 is the predriver according to the manual. Q76 checks out ok compared to the transistors next to it. Will check the coil diode in a bit and see what that is like. When I could smell stuff it was like a hairdryer cooking dust, so I think it was a very dusty coil heating up dust, and not melting plastic, but I will check the coil as well.

#1710 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You need to replace it anyway and the coil diode too.

The coil is toast for sure. The 2 good ones measure 3.9ohms and the bad one is .4ohms.

While under there I found a resistor pack (the cement resistors) with the small one missing and the big one with one lead broken off. Orange wire coming in and what looks like either black and blue or black and purple feeding out. Trying to find that one in the schematic now.

EDIT: Found it. Schematics look like they say Q85, special solenoid 6, but the solenoid chart/table says special #6 is Q79. Either way, looks like it's the upper playfield flashers. Will fix that too.

Last thing I remember from before I tore it apart is the ramp divert switches would pretty much never work. Was hoping that and my snapped leads would match up, but switches don't need resistors...

2 months later
#1740 6 years ago
Quoted from porkbone:

Here is a photo of a plastic piece broken on the corner... ball knocks it free. I would like to find a replacement plastic but for now I just put it back and tighten it back down. Anyone have an extra one of these?
Thanks!

That PF looks great!

7 months later
#1918 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Correction: looked back at that thread, and the Hardtop guys have not actually committed to High Speed.
But lots of requests, and I can't imagine that they won't make it.

Last time I asked (a while ago) they said it was on the list, but not in the next 5 to be done. Hopefully it’s moving up and almost time. I’m dying to get my HS put back together with a hardtop. My play field has been stripped for a few months at this point.

4 weeks later
#1923 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

So, the High Speed pictured above was put on location that day. I figured it would do alright, but it has really surpassed my expectations. It's kicking major ass! This pin has still got it!

When I bring a game home (new to me or just taking a break from the route) with a few things to work on it almost never fails to have something come up the first week or two after it goes back out. I've gone through the game, play tested as I repair and something always waits until it's out of the shop to rise to the surface.

Hopefully you don't have the same experience.

#1927 6 years ago

I can’t decide if I want to wait out the Hardtop. I took everything off the topside and was going to go the overlay route when I discovered the Hardtop. Now I’m thinking I want to put everything back together and put the game on route so it can be played as the Hardtop is not coming as quick as I’d hoped.

3 months later
#2028 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Holy shit, There must be something to this game! a club with 2000+ posts, I'm impressed.
I am attaching a link for all of you HS lovers. I am currently prototyping a "Hardtop" for High Speed. Within 2-3 months anyone with a roached playfield will have the option to make their game POP, shine and play like a MF.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototyping-a-hardtop-high-speed
Stop over and share your thoughts.

2-3 months is a very encouraging timeline. I was going to start putting mine back together since this seemed to be a very late 2018 release. Now I'll have to hold off to save myself a duplicate effort. I'm a day 1 buyer for this game.

2 months later
#2101 5 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Hi All,
Can some one please help me and tell me what size the Pan head screws with locking washers are the hold all the boards to the metal back plate (MPU Power Sound) in the back box are, as here in Europe we use metric so I can't use anything to see what thread they are to order them as most are missing.
Thank you for any help

Pretty sure they are 8-32 and are 1/2" in length.

1 week later
#2105 5 years ago

Everyone is having fun playing High Speed and I'm just sitting here waiting for the Hardtop announcement.

#2109 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I will try to get an update on the prototype s ETA

Mostly said in jest, but I would appreciate an updated ETA. Jonesing really hard since the teaser.

#2116 5 years ago

I guess I didn’t know about this. At this point I think I want a Hardtop still as it’s more appropriate for my game. If I got a $1k playfield that would be more than I paid for the game and would probably force me to make a new cab, stencil it, and replace everything visible with new parts. Not what I want to do on a game going on route.

377FB595-30D3-4A6F-AFCB-DF9FD422CA97 (resized).jpeg377FB595-30D3-4A6F-AFCB-DF9FD422CA97 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#2145 5 years ago

My second of two High Speeds is on location. The first one has a terrible playfield that will need a hardtop before it goes out as well. The second one came to me a few weeks ago with the topside mostly torn apart. I was delighted to find that nothing was missing once I was out of parts to put back on.

#2146 5 years ago

The High Speed that I recently put on route is locking up at least 10-20% of the games that get played on it. I played quite a lot before it went out and never locked up on me. The sounds are quite interesting though. Everything is very drawing out.
The first thing I found online was that a coil diode was likely bad, but wouldn’t that lock it up every game that it is fired? We saw no pattern and I went into coil test mode and had them cycle through several times without it locking up.

Also, came in today and it wouldn’t take a coin. Clicked on a credit, hit start, and music but no kick out. I’m wondering if it froze with a coil on and blew the coil fuse. Didn’t have time to check today.

#2148 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you checked the output of the power supply?

The 32 volt F-2 fuse is burnt, this fuse powers the coin lockout coils and some play field coils.

I did not, but I would bet the power supply caps are original. I’ll order a kit and can swap parts by the time it gets here.

#2150 5 years ago

Can you manually actuate it and see if anything is off? It all looks attached from the picture.

1 week later
#2167 5 years ago

Are people really looping it over and over like the ST warp ramp? I was actually surprised recently when I found that the right saucer will award a light as well. It's nice to know that there are settings for this in case something becomes too dominant in events that I run, but the game only recently went out, and promptly went down in spite of a lot of play testing at home. Seems to always happen though. After a few weeks of testing/repairs it should be solid.

4 weeks later
#2193 5 years ago

I rebuilt the high voltage section because the game was freezing. Now it is booting fine at times and other times is goofy. When it boots fine it will start with zero credits, cool. If I put in a coin it will go to the return slot. More on that later. If I manually click the switch twice to add a credit it will add 55 credits! If I press start it will start a game, but none of the inserts will light, and it won't kick out a ball. I'm assuming there is a setup like classic Bally games where you need coil voltage for it to accept a coin. The only voltage (aside from the flippers) is 12VDC which is what is getting to the 5V and allowing the game to boot. The sound is working too. Fuses are all good, but voltage(s) are just not there. I'm trying to work my way backwards to see where things stop but am struggling. If anyone has suggestions I'll take them.

The frustrating part is this game worked fine at home after I put it back together, about 100 plays. I bring it to my location and then it starts locking up and blew F4(?), the 2.5A giving non-flipper coils their voltage. Rebuilt the power supply and it boots, but now coils don't work. Can't wait to find out what else was taken out when the fuse blew...

One more thing is normally it is booting with a "0" on the MPU, so all is good (so it thinks) and one time it booted with an "8". This is what pinwiki says about that: An eight displayed during memory chip test (using the CPU board switch SW2) indicates that the blanking circuit is functioning properly. I did not press the switch, but since it happened the first time I powered it on in 2-3 weeks, maybe it was just shaking off the cobwebs.

#2195 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have 3J4 or 3J2 on the power supply connected?

Ah ha! 3J4 was not plugged in, that solved the insert issue, and likely other things as well. Now it will start a game, play the lights and sounds, flippers and most other coils work, but still issues.

First, everything but the trough kickout worked and at some point the inserts went out as did the display. Switches stopped working and the game has basically crashed aside from the GI still being on.

Power cycled it and it boots fine, and the kickout even worked. Nice. Plunge a ball, play for a little while. It goes out the left outlane and it crashes again. I don't know if it was the switch or the game trying to fire the coil, but I hit other switches and slings and it seemed fine. So a little progress, and seemingly almost there.

I just walked over to it and the sound is still playing as well. Not sure if that helps at all, but it's a thing.

#2204 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

weird. mine do not register. The left sling activates the kicker so kind of odd. Need to see if my column/row has a wire off

The slings have 2 switch sets. One that is behind the band that fires them, and the other is under the playfield. They are like an end of stroke switch. I have 1 on my F14 that isn't registering that is on my list of things to troubleshoot.

#2206 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx...so it does not register but it still fires coil?

On mine, yeah. The switch behind the sling rubber is tied to the coil (special solenoid section maybe) but doesn't tell the MPU that it fired. That's the job of the second switch under the playfield.

1 month later
#2250 5 years ago

Here is the current state of my little Cracker Jack box. Shirt back store is I got it all disassembled. I put it back together, fixed a few minor things, then took it to one of my locations after ~50 test plays. It gets through about 20 plays or so and starts locking up, and drawing out whatever sound effect was playing over a long period of time. The audio part was actually pretty interesting and at times sounded cool. Anyway, rebuilt the power supply and now this is what I get. It started with 55 or so credits that it put up on its own early into it freaking out.

#2252 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You need to install a voltmeter on the 5 volt test points on the CPU. Retest and note the voltage for DC and AC.

4.93 DC

0.00 AC

#2254 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Does it fluctuate when you start a game.

If I could I would let you know, but now all it wants to do is give me a “0” on the MPU, but not audio, insert lighting, or displays.

#2256 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Terry from Pinball life sent me an update. The stoplight is not looking like a good candidate for the type of 3D printer they have access to. I’ll post if I hear anything further.

So I have an injection molding machine and have been starting to look for smaller things to make to get a little more experience with it. This part seems right up my alley, but I don't think I'd be able to sell enough at $31 to make it worth the effort to have the mold made, knowing what previous molds have cost.

Reference: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-10999

#2258 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

It's a tough one for sure. Need 100's if not 1000's to make it worth while. Not sure what folks would pay but there is certainly a need. Do it as a labor of love for the community!

If I had my own CNC mill and would be able to make the molds myself it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm wondering if there is even a chance at getting to break-even on that. I design my own molds, so it's not nearly as expensive as you typically read about. When you get to that stage, it's no different than any other job to the machine shop that makes the parts.

Consider it on the table. You are actually the exact person I thought of when debating pros/cons of taking on the task. Can you make any ramp you want as long as you don't add decals? Just wondering how many hoops there are to jump through.

#2262 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

Well, it was worth a shot! The search continues.

How many people need one of those?

Also, anyone got any ideas in my issue above? MPU shows a “0” (RAM passes) but won’t continue the boot process all the way.

#2268 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

A zero is booted.

I would start with checking voltages. 5,12,-12,100,-100,18 and 32. If you don't how or where to check let me know.

If you don’t mind, I’d happily accept that offer.

#2270 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

First off I normally remove all connectors from the power supply except the two lower rectangle ones in the box in pic #1.
Going to list average readings that you should see from these TP (test point)
TP1 5.062V Pic #2.
TP3 14.60V Pic #4.
TP4 -14.94V Pic #3.
Fuse 2 42.49V both sides Pic #5.
Fuse 3 19.66V both sides Pic #5.
Fuse 4 42.46V both sides Pic #5.
J5 Pin 3 -103.5 Pic #6.
J5 Pin 4 104.6 Pic #6.
J5 pin 6 5.062V Pic #6.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you sir. Can I confirm your suggested location for the negative lead on the DMM? Ground braid? Ground plane of the power supply board? Elsewhere?

#2272 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

First off I normally remove all connectors from the power supply except the two lower rectangle ones in the box in pic #1.
Going to list average readings that you should see from these TP (test point)
TP1 5.062V Pic #2.
TP3 14.60V Pic #4.
TP4 -14.94V Pic #3.
Fuse 2 42.49V both sides Pic #5.
Fuse 3 19.66V both sides Pic #5.
Fuse 4 42.46V both sides Pic #5.
J5 Pin 3 -103.5 Pic #6.
J5 Pin 4 104.6 Pic #6.
J5 pin 6 5.062V Pic #6.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Everything listed above checks out on my end.

#2274 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I see that - thirty bucks just for the WALLS of Donut heaven? That's high. If I could find the STL I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a buck to print those three walls. I just picked up a Getaway - and it needs some love. Maybe that will be my motivation to make the design cheaper or even put it on Thingverse.

There’s a big difference between a professional company printing laser sintered parts on $40-$80k machines and a hobbiest printing parts on a $400 extrusion printer. I’ve printed stuff the size of a cupped hand in a pretty common material and they were $150 a pop. Amazing surface finish, which is what I wanted, but the good stuff isn’t cheap.

#2276 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Reconnect all the connectors on the power supply. Turn on the game.
Now check the blanking signal with your voltmeter set to DC volts, black lead to ground and red lead to a silver spot on the CPU board that says BLANKING It's written upside down just above U-20 pin 2. What do you read?

I have 4.04 VDC

#2287 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I have 4.04 VDC

I don't want to get too buried. Is this an acceptable voltage on the blanking signal?

#2289 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes, 2-5 volts from where you measured it is fine. I betting that you have a poor connection somewhere on the CPU board. This could be a bad socket or a loose chip. I would start by carefully reseating U-15, U-26 and U-27. I normally pull out the board that I want to reseat chips on. Then I place the board on hard flat surface and then gently pry up each end of the chip with a very small screwdriver, Not to remove but to just lift a bit. Then press the chip straight back down with firm even pressure until it doesn't move anymore. A good pic of the board set could help by getting a bunch more eyes on the situation. When troubleshooting I find 70% of my problems with my eyes.

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

#2290 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

I pulled the board, reseated those chips, put everything back in, confirmed everything was plugged in. I get a zero on the MPU, GI is on, but nothing more.

#2292 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Next thing to try is replacing the CPU chip U-15.

Bummer. I have a second High Speed that is in storage and worked when I put it away (waiting on hardtop) so I will try to pull the MPU off that and see what happens. I have to put a parts order in for various stuff, so I’ll add U15
To the list.

#2293 5 years ago

I swapped the CPU with the one in my other HS. The one I’m troubleshooting didn’t boot. For fun, I put the pulled CPU in the other HS. It booted. I think I might swap MPUs just for a short term functioning HS, assuming the issue is the MPU.

I was thinking. I was having rare booting issues on my Diner and somebody awesome suggested replacing C30. That has resolved the booting issues. It was similar to what HS is doing. GI would come on but no inserts, audio, or display. The difference being that was rarely happening with Diner and this came up all of a sudden. I bought spares, but they are in the cab of one of my location games. I get some sort of readings on C30 but they are a little bit all over the place. I get similar results with another new cap, so it might just me being a novice with this new DMM. C30 May be good for all I know.

#2302 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

About to join, I think. Trading a working Rescue 911 for a High Speed with a locked coil. Playfield looks real nice though. Pinside shows value in their favor, but I prefer sys 11's mostly. Never played High Speed. Anyone have any thoughts on this trade? Also pins are limited in AK so hard to find specific games. Not like I can wait for the next HS.

I’d say do it and get the best deal you can in the trade.

#2308 5 years ago

I got the “adjust failure” message so I replaced the batteries. Now I just powered it up again and get the same message. What might be causing this with fresh batteries?

#2314 5 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

After changing batteries you have to go back in and scroll though adjustments to reset everything. Free Play will need to be set again. After this if it still happens you are not getting voltage to the RAM and losing settings again.

I changed batteries with the game on, and then played a few times and powered off. Turned it back on a little later without issues to play a few more times. That was yesterday. Today, loaded it up and took it to my location.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

First check D-2 for an open. If D-2 is ok then replace the battery holder.

Not sure I’m following in what an open ad D-2 means. Can you dumb it down just a touch for me.

#2317 5 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Ok - then i’d say the others have you on the right path with the diode check. Diode is on the mpu (or added to a remote battery pack) which prevents the batteries from being charged when the game is on. If this has failed open the game will be charging the alkaline batteries which will kill them quickly. If the new batteries are dead or putting out low voltage already then quite likely this is your issue.

Ok, I actually didn't know that there is a diode on the board to prevent batteries from being charged. Considering it's got AA's on there, never crossed my mind.

Grumpy, I tried quoting you as well, but looks like the browser I'm on is not having it. As noted above, I hadn't even considered there being a diode to keep the batteries from getting charged, because why? I would have assumed that it would have been a separate circuit and charging isn't possible. So literally, D2, check it. Got it.

1 month later
#2448 5 years ago

Based off the light reflection, I'm guessing this is clear coated. I bet that was "fun" to try and find. Better than those of us who are waiting for a Hardtop. Best of luck on the swap.

#2457 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

First check D-2 for an open. If D-2 is ok then replace the battery holder.

Revisiting this since I have finished some other repair projects. I tested the diode, and it passes. Open one way, .633 the other.

I measure 4.8XX VDC at the battery pack. Same numbers going into D2. However, 4.498 VDC coming out of D2. Is the diode bad because of this? I think I’ve read that less that 4.5 will give the “dead battery” failure. If I do need to replace it, can I use the 1N400X type that I have plenty of? This diode looks like the clear/orange variety but I don’t know if that matters.

#2459 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

No, the P/N junction of the diode will cause a voltage drop.

Not true, some people run coin style batteries which are only 3 volts when new and they will last for years.
Check pin 24 on U-25 with the power off for voltage, Should be @ the same as it is coming out of D-2.

Pin 24 on U25 is the same as what is coming out of D2.

#2461 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It maybe time for a new ram chip or NV ram.

Ok, I can live with that. I have a few System 11’s I want to do anyway. Thanks

4 months later
#2633 4 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

I was surfing Pinball Life for other products and came across this
[quoted image]
I thought this project was dead, but here it is
https://www.pinballlife.com/high-speed-traffic-light-housing.html

Has anyone ordered one of these? I’m curious if it’s molded or printed and painted.

1 month later
#2746 4 years ago

The rubber on my upper flipper is slowly getting cut by the metal ball guide. It’s aligned as it seemingly should be, and might even be a touch low. Is this normal?

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Haven’t seen that on mine in the ~6 months I’ve had it. Got any pics?

Not at the moment. I rotated the band so the cut is on the back side for now. Will look a little closer when I get to my location later and see if there are any clues as to what might be off.

#2753 4 years ago

I have 2 High Speeds and I did rebuild kits on one of them, but can't remember which one. I'm guessing at this point that this game is not the one I had done.

#2763 4 years ago

A friend was playing my HS on location and said when he rolled over a lit special it tilted on him. I don’t even know how to light special, let alone test why this specific situation might have happened.

#2766 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Was it the left or right?

Friend says it was the right side.

2 months later
#2867 4 years ago

My switches (or maybe just one) on the ramp are being very flakey. They are mounted under everything. Is there a good way to get to them to clean without taking the whole ramp off?

6 months later
#3665 3 years ago

I’m almost done putting things back together after installing a hardtop. I have this metal piece and can’t see from my pictures exactly where it goes. These are the only holes that line up from what I can find, but wanted to confirm. Yea or nea?

7D00DF80-1142-43EA-941C-2BE265B8D55B (resized).jpeg7D00DF80-1142-43EA-941C-2BE265B8D55B (resized).jpeg
#3667 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

That's a yea. I don't have that red post there though. Mine has a slender metal post.

Thanks. Wouldn’t be shocked if I swapped a star post with a metal one. Had an area that I wasn’t certain about. This playfield had a bonus star post that shouldn’t have been there, so a few fun things went into this puzzle.

2 months later
#3764 3 years ago

I’m on the tail end of reviving a High Speed. It played a few years ago when I set it aside waiting for the HS hardtop to come out, and then for time to put it in. That’s all done, and now it’s the electronics.

With things plugged in and a new cap kit on the power supply board I’m getting 5V on the MPU test point, but this funky digit on the display. There is a little bit of glow, but it’s those 3 segments that make a U shape. No clue what it’s trying to say.

8AEB0DDE-486F-4FD1-B818-C9FFF4D11DDE (resized).jpeg8AEB0DDE-486F-4FD1-B818-C9FFF4D11DDE (resized).jpeg
#3771 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I’m on the tail end of reviving a High Speed. It played a few years ago when I set it aside waiting for the HS hardtop to come out, and then for time to put it in. That’s all done, and now it’s the electronics.
With things plugged in and a new cap kit on the power supply board I’m getting 5V on the MPU test point, but this funky digit on the display. There is a little bit of glow, but it’s those 3 segments that make a U shape. No clue what it’s trying to say.
[quoted image]

If I DMM the reset test point and the gnd test point on the MPU, what value should I get? I was reading that the reset circuit needs 12v do reset and I'm getting 5V. Seems like a pretty convenient value to be wrong.

1 month later
#3848 3 years ago

My C30 was giving a reading of about 800mfd instead of 22mfd so I replaced it. The game booted and I was able to play a few games and was seeing that a lot of switches and even some coils were not firing. Took a break for a few days and went to power it on again today. It's not booting again. C30 is reading almost 900mfd, so I'm guessing it's dead again. I just replaced it though, so what would have killed it?

#3850 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

I wouldn't trust those readings or the meter you're using. Are you measuring in circuit or out of circuit? Out of circuit is usually best. Out of curiosity, what did the new 22uf cap measure (out of circuit) using that meter?

I always buy extra of these small components. Here is a fresh one. When I installed the one that’s in there before it died it measured pretty much the same value. I can put a new one in just as easily, but not sure I like that the one I just put in dies in 30 minutes of use.

For what it’s worth, with the black lead touching the metal plate in the head I get 2.8v on the pos side of the (likely) dead cap, and 0v on the neg side. This is with the game powered on but not booting.

F2421EEF-9FE1-43A5-A0F7-71EDE5F863AB (resized).jpegF2421EEF-9FE1-43A5-A0F7-71EDE5F863AB (resized).jpeg
#3853 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Are the 800 readings with the bad cap installed on the board or removed from the board?

I just cut it off and checked and the one on the board reads 24mfd as well.

So maybe it was ok after all. Problem is that the cap was the last thing I replaced before it started working again.

#3855 3 years ago

Put a new C30 in and it’s still showing garbled display info on the MPU. Sooooo, seems like something else is keeping it from booting. Is there a list of components I can check? Thought I found one recently, but can’t find it again now.

2 weeks later
#3883 3 years ago

What would cause the 7-segment display on the MPU to not light up at all? I was going through the 5V checks listed below and everything was good. Turned it off and went away for a little bit for lunch and now when I power it up the display is blank instead of garbled. I had replaced C30 and it started working and then after playing it for a few hours turned it off for the day. Next time I turned it back on the display was garbled again (leading me to think maybe C30 was fine). Now I have no display, but still have the 5v at the points below:

Test for Proper voltage on the boards.
Your game will never run if you don't have +5 volts on the CPU board. But first you must test for ground on the CPU board. To test for ground, turn the game off and set your DMM to "ohms". Make sure you get zero ohms from the ground test point TP1 (to the left of the batteries) on the CPU board, to the metal shield or ground strap in the backbox.

Next set your DMM to DC volts. Turn the game on, and test for +5 volts at TP2 on the CPU board (TP2 is to the right of chip U21). Make sure the black lead of your DMM on ground (backbox grounding strap). Now test for +5 volts right at the chips themselves. For example, test for +5 volts at U15 (the 6808 CPU) at pin 8. The 2764 EPROM at U26 and the 27256 EPROM at U27 will have +5 volts at pin 28. The 6821 PIA's at U10, U38, U41, U42, U51, U54 will have +5 volts at pin 20. Remember, pin 1 of all chips is by the "notch" in the chip. Also there is usually a white "dot" printed on the circuit board to show pin 1.

-----------------------------

Actually, I just did a test and I have 12 ohms between the GND test point and the metal back panel. That doesn't seem right at all. I touched the top center bolt, the one the ties the board to the stud to the metal back panel, and I got 9.8 ohms!?! What on earth is going on here?

EDIT: Did the test with the game off and I get 0.7 ohms. So now I'm just back to why the 7-segment is out. But also, why would that GND TP and back panel read 12 ohms with the game on?

#3888 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

No 5 volts at pins 3 and 14 of U-46.
No ground inputs at pins 1,2,7,8,10 11 and 13 of U-46.
A bad U-46 chip.

I have a power supply hooked up to J117 and nothing else is connected to the MPU. The MPU is out and on a towel. If I have the black probe on pin 1 of J117 and I use the red probe to go around U46 I get 5V at each pin I touch. Might this be something wrong upstream, or is U46 toast?

#3898 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This can mean the cpu has not booted or that a chip upstream is bad.

You can apply a low (ground) to one or more of these pins and segments of the 7 segment display should light. Each pin is one segment of the display.

If I touch one of the segment pins and ground the other side the segment goes on for just a moment and then goes off. Touched one of the ground pins (pin 3) on accident and it arced just a tiny bit. Obviously didn’t mean to, but tried a little harder to avoid doing that again.

EDIT: U47 is orange on my board. It's an MDP1603 271G. Found the data sheet saying it's a resistor pack, 271 ohms @ 2%. It measured 271.1 across each resistor, so that seems good. Onto the next thing upstream, U48. Looks like I'll be doing some diode tests on U48 once I find the sheet. More to come...

EDIT 2: U48 is a 7447 7-segment driver. I have no idea how to test this. Searching online, but if anyone is in the know, I'm all ears.

#3901 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The 7447 chip is a BCD to seven segment driver chip. BCD is the way computers can count with just highs and lows. The 7447 chip converts the 4 BCD inputs to the seven segment outputs.
[quoted image]

I found a video on YT of this chip being demonstrated with a 7-segment display with a computer program. I found it interesting. The video showed that you can actually get outputs higher than 9 with these “c” shaped patterns. That’s exactly what I was getting before the display died completely. I don’t know if it was trying to show me a 10, or a 12, or what, but it now seems to be a legit output instead of random characters. Now that the display isn’t showing anything, I’m wondering if the 7447 is bad, and the “c” was it on the way out, or if something even further upstream from that is bad.

Here is the video. If you go to 6:24 he scrolls down to a second chart and backwards "c" is supposed to represent an 11. My MPU has been Spinal Tapped.

71EC95FC-FAC8-48D5-8ABD-DFCDC05FA55B (resized).jpeg71EC95FC-FAC8-48D5-8ABD-DFCDC05FA55B (resized).jpeg

#3908 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Dispatch-I'm having an issue with the diverter. Please advise
so lately the diverter has not been working. The ball just flys on by. I'm sure it is in this thread but 79 pages is a lot to dig through

Make sure (with a ball, not your finger) that the switches are registering in switch test mode.

#3911 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Forgot to mention that I think the switches are registering due to getting the ramp award

Other thing would be to see if the diverter is working in coil test.

#3922 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That's what I'm thinking.

New 7447 came in today. No luck. The 7-segment is still out on the MPU.

#3927 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you install a socket for the 7447 chip? Is the cpu booting?

I did install a socket. I don’t know if the CPU is booting, is there a way to know without the 7-segment showing anything?

1 month later
#4061 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You could check the voltage of the blanking signal.

Do you know where I can find the process to test the blanking signal/circuit? I don't see anything in pinwiki, Google isn't pulling up anything specific, and this is the only info I can find on the other troubleshooting site I typically use:

The Blanking Circuit.
The blanking circuit is a protection circuit. If it senses there is a problem with the CPU board, it will shut down many functions on the board (including the score display strobes, so the display glass isn't damaged). The blanking circuit must be inactive for the CPU board to boot and function. The blanking circuit is reset by the display strobes. Blanking problems can also be caused by a short in any connecting logic chips.

#4063 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes.

Or random coils and lamps would lock on and melt down TIPs. Once the CPU has booted the blanking signal is active. This active blanking signal also goes to the decoding circuit for the seven segment display on the CPU.
[quoted image]

If I'm reading this correctly U48 pin 6 should get 5V? I am getting that, and on SR19-6, and if it says SR13-5 I am getting 5V there too.

#4065 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

After booting correctly this should be a low.

Is the CPU controlling that? Don’t think I’ve replaced that quite yet.

#4067 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

U-43 555 chip makes the blanking signal. U-51 PIA chip pin 4 resets U-43 chip by way of U-36 and Q-50. If U-43 doesn't get reset at the correct intervals it will stay low disabling solenoids, displays and lamps. If U-43 is reset correctly the output will be high on pin 3.

U43-3 is low. U51-4 is 4.75V. U55-1 is low, U55-2 is 5V. SR20-4 is low, the rest are all 5V.

#4069 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you tested the reset circuit?

Is that at simple as seeing 4.96V on the reset test point and saying it’s good?

3 weeks later
#4126 3 years ago

These are LED Pinscore displays that have been on and fine for a little more than a month. I reseated both sides of the ribbon cable coming out of the MPU with no change. The board has a test button on it and when I press that it changes what is displayed, but it’s still not clear. Because the test button would just be sending info to the displays and not getting data from the MPU I have a feeling it’s the board that all of the displays plugged in. Any thoughts?

#4149 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Has the cpu board had acid damage?

Not that I can see and I have had NVRAM in there for a while. I flipped the ribbon from the MPU and that didn't change anything. I reversed it so the red on both sides was opposite from what it normally is and that cleared it up. So I'll order a new ribbon cable so the red wire is pointing to the correct pin.

3 months later
#4582 2 years ago

Has there ever been an alternate backglass/translite for High Speed?

#4584 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Nothing official, but I'm sure people have done various things over time. I don't really understand why people don't like the original design..I think it's great. To each their own I suppose.

I don’t dislike it, but it’s two different artists between the backglass and the playfield and I don’t like when that happens. I have one on location and one in work. I think with a “prettier” backglass it would attract more play. The alternate options for Getaway have some pretty cool designs.

#4586 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

My bad, I just assumed lol. There's been a fair amount of chatter on this thread about it. I love the zombie cops
I played mine up big-time with colored lights and I think it looks great but I'm sure I'd get a real finger shaking from the old guy purists... But they'd hate my hardtop too, and the candy red powdercoated wireforms, and the soon to be candy red rails, lock bar, legs, feet, and bolts... Basically, everyone has their own taste.. Even on the backglass that I love.

My project is the one that I did my first hardtop on. Have a bare MPU that Dumbass made and I still have to populate it. Really looking forward to having it flipping again to see how the hardtop feels.

1 week later
#4608 2 years ago

I wouldn’t redo all of the connectors at this point. Bally games need that, on System 11’s I’ve only ever needed to redo the GI connector.

#4615 2 years ago

If there is a pre-driver transistor that is likely gone too. It’s shaped like a “D” when you look at it from above. I had a shorted pop coil and it killed the transistor and the pre-driver.

7 months later
#5026 2 years ago

If I can get one ball on each flipper but have to let the 3rd ball drain, I’d take that every time.

1 year later
#5689 10 months ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Anyone running Comet 2SMD LED's in their game? Leaning towards 2SMD sunlight white for all GI and inserts and 1SMD behind the backglass. I've been happy with the sunlight white as a happy medium between cool/warm white on past games. If so, please post some pics! Thanks

I use Comet cool white 2SMD bulbs on every game that doesn’t have factory LEDs. With the frosted dome they are exactly what I want. I hobby operate and everything pre-2013 (or whenever stern moved to factory LED) gets these in the GI and inserts. EMs just get them for GI and then I use non-ghosting bulbs for inserts. Haven’t bought those in so long that I can’t remember exactly which ones.

3 months later
#5776 6 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

My right upper flipper is getting stuck open sometimes and it seems mechanical. I've replaced the flipper bushing, inserted a new coil sleeve, and cleaned things, but it gets stuck up sometimes. The return spring thing is just the type that is squished over the plunger. Do you guys have any ideas for replacement parts or a better return spring setup?
Thanks!

Make sure the EOS isn’t snagging the pawl when the flipper is activated.

#5781 6 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Hey folks,
I know this is ultimately going to turn out pretty simple but I'm clearly using the wrong search terms to find the answer. Sorry for the newb question:
I have a new to me high speed, recently shopped by someone else. It's having trouble kicking a ball into the shooter lane. The coil is firing and it's alllllmost making it over the hump, but then it falls back into the trough. This happens intermittently after a little bit with the machine on.
The wires don't appear damaged, the coil is clearly firing, and the plunger is running freely in the cool sleeve without binding up.
I'm not sure where to look next, weak transistor maybe? Any ideas?
As I said, I'm clearly not using the right search terms to find similar issues!

The pivot point of that kickout is likely gummed up just enough to give you this issue. Take things apart, clean the metal surfaces of the pivot point with 70%+ rubbing alcohol (I get 90%+ at Walmart or the grocery store) and see if that helps.

1 month later
#5914 5 months ago
Quoted from pevo:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-upgrade-speakers-on-williams-f-14-questions-#post-7627144 this is what I did with my Ff-14. Only difference with HS is one 4×10 up top...vs 2 5.5in up top. Its the 6.5 sub and mono amp is what makes any difference. I can't see spending more than what I did for upgrade

Did you do anything for the factory cab speaker being 4 ohms and the new speaker being 8?

#5916 4 months ago
Quoted from pevo:

Typically running 8ohms in place of 4ohms will cut your amp output...so you may have to turn volume up a bit more to compensate. However your amp will run a bit cooler. Your biggest improvement will be from the additional amp for the sub. And the ability to use both the factory volume and the amp volume to tweak your overall desired volume...ie more base cabinet sound vs. Voice and other effects from the backbox speaker. The efficiency rating of the speakers is more what I looked for. That is the speaker being able to produce desired output without requiring a huge amount of wattage to drive it.
Thats why on car systems simply replacing toasted factory speakers with high wattage rated aftermarket speakers will sound crappy...unless you add an additional amp.

Good info, thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Trade
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 72.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over?tu=desertT1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.