(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1871 Lane change and EOS positioning. Posted by GRUMPY (6 years ago)

Post #2703 Original flipper wiring photos. Posted by Pin-Pilot (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjchand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2378 5 years ago

Apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere in the 48 pages of posts, but I'm looking at a HS later this weekend and wanted to know if there's any gotcha's to look for specific to this pin? Seen vids of it and looks like it plays pretty well, though there is definite mylar peeling/missing on the playfield.

Thanks in advance!

#2382 5 years ago

Thanks for all the advice!

I know going in that the Mylar is a mess in spots. Community seems torn in general on whether to leave it be or pull it up. Any thoughts specific to this table?

Since this will be my first table, I’m inclined to leave it. Plan is to fix up some of the minor cosmetics (e.g.: broken beacon light), enjoy it for a while, then sell/trade for the next.

#2384 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I removed my Mylar with compressed air in a can turned upside down to freeze the Mylar. Came out nice.

That’s encouraging. Not expecting perfection, but presume you didn’t suffer too much paint loss in the process?

Also, did you clear coat it after or just re-Mylar?

#2392 5 years ago

Guess I’m now the ranking FNG. Picked up a HS with some updates (LEDs, Freeplay40’s clear ramp, Pinscores) and clean looking boards. The PF is about what you would expect given its age (Mylar issues, wear in the standard places) and the back box is a mess. But, plays well and has a nearly perfect back glass.

Now to clean it up and level it!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2411 5 years ago

With apologies in advance for any stupid questions...

Having an intermittent issue with my HS where it has blown fuse F4 a couple of times. I looked on the CPU board and saw that Q73 has a leg scorched (see attached pic). It tests OK with a DMM, but I get that how it tests without power doesn’t mean it’s good when powered on.

Obviously I’ll replace that transistor, but wanted to figure out what lives downstream of that transistor so I don’t end up frying the next one. If I’m reading the schematics correctly (very likely not ), this connects to IJI9-3, which leads to special solenoid 3.

If this is all correct, what is SS 3?

Also, beyond checking the coil (plan on following these steps: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_a_coil), anything else I should verify before replacing the transistor?

Thanks in advance!

BCBC4632-7F85-435B-8FD8-72D56B93CAA4 (resized).jpegBCBC4632-7F85-435B-8FD8-72D56B93CAA4 (resized).jpeg
#2413 5 years ago

Thanks Grumpy! Glad to know I was close.

I was thinking the transistor hadn’t been replaced post-scorching as the solder on that leg is also scorched. Is that a bad assumption on my part?

Again, truly appreciate the help!

#2422 5 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Having an intermittent issue with my HS where it has blown fuse F4 a couple of times.

Good news: Haven't gotten it to fail again.
Bad news: Haven't gotten it to fail again.

But, a couple of mystery screws to fell out of the PF while doing some other work. They look like the screws to hold the cover to a pop bumper (I didn't touch the covers, for what that's worth). Odd thing is these mystery screws are silver; ones in the pop covers currently are black. I couldn't find any other sources of those kinds of small screws.

Anyway, given that the suspect circuit is the right pop, having rando hardware lying somewhere around the pops might explain why it was intermittent.

Fingers crossed...

#2424 5 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Not sure if you have the old ramp or the clear one, but if it’s the old one, check the small screws holding the clear plastic cover over the ramp. I have had those screws work their way out before
[quoted image]

Thanks for the callout. I've got Feeplay40's clear ramp on it with no cover.

Just looked for them, but didn't find in my random parts bin. Not sure what I did with them, but they look like the left screw in this image:
https://www.pinballlife.com/bumper-cap-screws.html

#2426 5 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Just looked for them, but didn't find in my random parts bin. Not sure what I did with them, but they look like the left screw in this image:
https://www.pinballlife.com/bumper-cap-screws.html

Found them. Here's what one looks like. Gotta think this is from the pop cover, but open to other suggestions.

IMG_5664 (resized).JPGIMG_5664 (resized).JPG

Perhaps it's this guy, minus the lock washer: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4004-01003-08

Description says it was also used on the rod and ring assembly, so will take a peek there later tonight.

#2434 5 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Having an intermittent issue with my HS where it has blown fuse F4 a couple of times. I looked on the CPU board and saw that Q73 has a leg scorched (see attached pic). It tests OK with a DMM, but I get that how it tests without power doesn’t mean it’s good when powered on.
[quoted image]

Just an update for posterity. Took nearly 300 games for the issue to come back, but think I might have the root cause. After this recent failure, I popped a fuse back in and played, videoing as I played.

In this case, it went when I hit the right flipper, which made no sense. The fuse blowing is for the special solenoids. But, it did hit the left sling just before I flipped. I found that the left sling was mechanically bound up. It would only go halfway through it’s stroke. I took everything apart, but didn’t find anything obvious.

I guess it would make sense that if it never hit its EOS, that would pop the fuse.

So, don’t know exactly why the sling bound up, but will order new hardware for both. Luckily, the left coil seems to be in good shape (no scorching, sleeve came right out).

Also, seems that the burning on the tranny for Q73 might be a red herring. Plan on replacing it, and the other bits in the chain soon.

Will update if anything new transpires.

3 weeks later
#2475 5 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

High Speed is the first game I've owned so this is probably more of a general question and not High Speed specific... But what would cause a mid-game reset? On occasion, mid-game, the flippers will die and scores will reset. Basically brings you back to attract mode waiting for somebody to hit the start button for a new game.

That sounds like the behavior of the slam tilt, so maybe it happens during more "enthusiastic" play? Or at least that's how my HS acts if I test the slam tilt; just a reset back to attract mode, no tilt message.

For what it's worth, I verified via switch edge test that I can invoke the slam tilt by closing the coin door sufficiently quickly (but nowhere close to a slam). So, doesn't take much.

Just tossing these out there in case it's applicable.

2 months later
#2561 4 years ago

Presume you’ve gone through the steps on pinwiki.com? Here’s the Sys9/11 troubleshooting section: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#MPU_Boot_Error_Codes

1 month later
#2640 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I'll start my own thread if needed

Yes, please do keep us posted. This looks awesome!

4 weeks later
#2682 4 years ago

Crud. If the price were low enough, that might make me regret going the Hardtop route. But, the PF is all sanded down, so I'm committed at this point

3 weeks later
#2733 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Playfields are now up for sale on CPR....Get em while they're hot!

Having recently just installed a Hardtop, I have to say I’m happy with the result.

A $300 solution seems more appropriate for a $1500-2000 pin, but I can definitely understand that $800+ is worth it for some people - especially a proper collector’s quality machine.

#2747 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

The rubber on my upper flipper is slowly getting cut by the metal ball guide. It’s aligned as it seemingly should be, and might even be a touch low. Is this normal?

Haven’t seen that on mine in the ~6 months I’ve had it. Got any pics?

#2755 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Coil stops and or plungers are wearing out. Or the incorrect coil stops were installed.

Ah, fair point. I did a full rebuild, plus I have Titans on my machine which might be less susceptible to this issue.

#2756 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Ah, fair point. I did a full rebuild, plus I have Titans on my machine which might be less susceptible to this issue.

Looking at mine, I definitely see a groove in the rubber at that spot, but it’s just a dent. No cut.

Guess that’s a proof point of the durability of the Titans

#2761 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Quick Note:
If you are interested in purchasing a new playfield from Classic Playfields for your High Speed or know someone that wants one. CPR is showing only 3 left on their web page!

Or alternatively, there's a few new - fixed - Hardtops available: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototyping-a-hardtop-high-speed/page/7#post-5192271

#2764 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

A friend was playing my HS on location and said when he rolled over a lit special it tilted on him. I don’t even know how to light special, let alone test why this specific situation might have happened.

Special is lit when you "run the red light" a 2nd time.

#2774 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Yea, the sides are remarkably in good shape thus why I just want to paint the front and leave the sides as is. Should be easy to paint the front. just need a good pic. Actually looking at the side of my cabinet I might be able to snap a photo of the HIGH SPEED and scale it to correct size in photoshop then make a stencil.

The Pinball Pimp folks sold me just the backbox stencils. Might wanna see if they will sell you just the front.

1 week later
#2794 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Anyone replace their factory speaker with two speakers?...I reached out to pinsound...said they are working on the early system 11 games and this game specifically, but "a work in progress "...my machine was down so I was filling my down time with replacing them...I removed the fabric and speaker screen, which pretty much destroys it as the glue sticks to it pretty good, I found replacement screen from pinball life. Two 4x6 speakers from Amazon some #8 T nuts...found new fabric on ebay...... Don't forget your thin blue line
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Curious on whether I makes much of an improvement in the sound. I replaced the stock speaker with more modern tech and it didn’t make much of a difference. Granted, it wasn’t a co-ax speaker, but expected a bit more of an improvement over a the stock paper cone POS

1 week later
#2808 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I second this, the Cliffy lane guide replacements are excellent.

I'll triple it. I had a significant bounce, especially on my right inlane. Cliffy's made them buttery smooth! Well worth the money, especially given how much it improves gameplay.

1 month later
#2857 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

My latest cheap pinball pickup is also the worst condition pin I have ever bought!! The playfield on this poor high speed, feels like it has been outside for a while. The boards have alkaline damage, the head of the cab need a new bottom. But the plastics, backglass and bottom of the cab are great! So, I bought it for $200. I have to go pick it up this week or next. Given where it is, on the third floor of a log cabin, on the side of a Mountain, it’s taking some planning.
I went onsite to diagnose this machine, but obviously they decided to sell it instead. As bad as it is, I plan to refurb the boards, order a hardtop and make it new again![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You won't regret the Hardtop. I installed one on my HS and it plays *awesomely*! Here's a link to my install, which has a link to a photo gallery in the 2nd post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-on-a-high-speed

Good luck with the restore!

1 month later
#2912 4 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Looking to join the High Speed club, but I've run into an unrealistic seller.... My question is; how much would you pay for this high speed? The owner doesn't have the cabinet key, which he failed to disclose before I drove an hour to check out, playfield is shot, cab has heavy flaking, backglass has a pretty good amount of cracking, the is an "adjust failure" fault, and it's obviously not been cleaned in years as he's never opened it.. on the plus side; the plastic looks good, and the boards looked good without any battery damage... What do the experts on here think is a fair price???[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you put a Hardtop on it, it’s salvageable. But, that’s $300 + a lot of labor, presuming you’re up for that.

Having put a Hardtop on mine, I will say that it was well worth the effort. Not a project for the timid, though.

Given the condition of the playfield, I’d presume you’d want to do full rebuilds on all three flippers and who knows what the underside looks like. Might be hacks galore under there. He should be willing to drill the lock out so you can see. Someone will have to do it eventually.

With all of that, it would be hard to go over $750 given what you can - and can’t - see here. If it ends up being clean underneath, maybe a grand, bit only if you want to Hardtop or can find an inexpensive playfield to swap.

Note: I am likely more forgiving with my pricing than most.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjchand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over?tu=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.