(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1871 Lane change and EOS positioning. Posted by GRUMPY (6 years ago)

Post #2703 Original flipper wiring photos. Posted by Pin-Pilot (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-Pilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

267 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Pin-Pilot. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2649 4 years ago

I just picked up a #high Speed pin the other day. Overall it is in decent shape. Just been sitting for some years. Did the Nvram mod on the CPU. Need to rebuild the flippers and do a thorough cleaning. Also will need to buy one of those stoplights mentioned earlier.

One thing that appears to be very scarce are the 7 digit Alpha-Numberic displays. One of my displays is not working. another Pinsider pointed me to one on eBay however it has a rather large nipple on the back side and am afraid that I will have to modify the board to install it and there may be traces on the board.

Does anyone know of any sources for these Alpha-Numberic display tubes?

Thanks

#2651 4 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

TNT Amusements has some seven digit displays that were passable for sale a while back, wouldn’t hurt to email them and see if they have any. Might have an burn on them or some other imperfections but it would work.
Alternatively, order a new led set from XPin. Expensive up front, but then you can play the game and in the mean time look for a replacement.

Thanks, I will try TNT. I still have some work to do on the pin. Not in a super rush but am excited to get her up to running while I do touch ups.

#2653 4 years ago

Thanks for the response Todd. Gonna keep looking for the Alpha-Numberic displays. They seem to turn up now and then when someone converts to LED displays.

#2657 4 years ago

I am going through my High Speed I picked up last week. The game was missing a knocker in the head cabinet (wires still there so easy to bring back to original). I just purchased a new knocker however there is no diode on the coil. I assume there should be one however I could not find the coil in the schematics in the instruction manual. Could someone verify that the knocker coil has a diode. Thanks much.

And if you can locate the knocker coil in the schematics please point me to the page. I found the Police Light Motor diagram and thought this would be the logical location for the schematic, but not there.

#2659 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

A early system 11 game like this will always have a diode on the coils. There should be a red and a brown/violet wire for this coil. The red wire is the power wire and should go to the silver band of the diode.[quoted image]

Thanks grumpy, was pretty sure it would need one. Wanted to make sure. And Cathode to red wires.

1 month later
#2694 4 years ago

You are in luck, I just replaced my rubbers on my High Speed and in the process of rebuilding. The size is 5" (part # 23-63-10) http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php

Here are a couple pics

IMG_3036 (resized).jpgIMG_3036 (resized).jpgIMG_3037 (resized).JPGIMG_3037 (resized).JPG
#2697 4 years ago

This place is such a great resource for sure. Found another thread on this very topic from a year ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-rear-high-speed-5-rubbers

1 week later
#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Sorry, I don't like asking for help and tried searching this one in the search area and scouring this thread. Also these coils are slightly confusing to me with only a single diode. I see earlier that some are wound in serries and some in parrallel. I was fairly sure my previous statements were correct, but the last time I was sure I was correct, I fried some things. Taking what you said, I will go forward. Was not trying to take advantage of help, but was also afraid as I have done more damage than good in the past.

Always good to try to work through things and try to solve with schematics and such. (I always take pics when removing anything).

Here are 2 pics from my High Speed

IMG_3066 (resized).JPGIMG_3066 (resized).JPGIMG_3069 (resized).JPGIMG_3069 (resized).JPG
#2707 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I didn't mean to sound like I was uspset either. It's just this machine has me flustered and looking back through the thread I noticed how much I have been asking for help. You have helped me with many issues up till now and I don't want to seem ungrateful. Looking at my posts it seems like I ask for too much help. Your advice on this does help and will help going forward. I am frustrated that in diagnosing the match/ credit display on my pinbot and swapping parts, I seem to have fried the same display on this one. I have also done everthing I know how, and still my right flipper is weak. Eos is new and gapped, flipper moves freely by hand, and did a complete rebuild. I am ordering a new cabinet switch and will patiently work through these issues, but I admit that I am frustrated. On a good note, I reflowed some of my board work and it looks like my sounds are finally working properly. Just hope that holds up.

To resolve wether the cabinet switch is bad take a jumper wire with Aligator clips and clip one end to one soldered terminal of the cabinet switch and touch the other end of the jumper to the other solder terminal of the cabinet switch. If the solenoid fires the same it is not the cabinet switch. However if it fires strong the cabinet switch needs replacing. You may have done this already but if not it will save you from buying a part that may not fix the problem. what condition are the contacts on the cabinet switch?

#2728 4 years ago

That is definitely a unique issue. Do the Solenoids look OK? Not discolored/brown/burnt? A couple options are: go through the Solenoid test and operate the hideout solenoids 20-30 times each and see if this blows the fuse. You may have a solenoid that is shorting. As you mentioned you may want to test the ohms on the solenoid.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Relays should not be causing the fuse to blow. I would think the Solenoids (most likely just one) would be more the culprit here. The power draw items on that 2.5ASB fuse are the Kicker Solenoids. Relays take very little power to operate.

I believe this is the Circuit you are having the problem with, correct?

IMG_3077 (resized).jpgIMG_3077 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2736 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Playfields are now up for sale on CPR....Get em while they're hot!

Ordering is the easy part. Doing the play field swap will be the challenge for sure.

#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I did my High Speed. Wasn't too bad. Just don't trust some of the dimpling on the bottom as being ideal. Most notably, for the nine standup targets.....best to align those carefully, manually.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

#2750 4 years ago

This must be what you are talking about. I bet each machine has its own tolerances. Mine does show some contact however is not cutting into the rubber at all. If it is cutting into your flipper rubber you could take the ball guide off and grind some off of the end to prevent it from cutting your flipper rubber. You may want to check the travel of your flipper as well. It may be traveling too far.

IMG_3113 (resized).JPGIMG_3113 (resized).JPGIMG_3114 (resized).jpgIMG_3114 (resized).jpg
#2752 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Coil stops and or plungers are wearing out. Or the incorrect coil stops were installed.

Absolutely, I assumed that he had installed new parts. Could also need new flipper bushing. Check that your flipper bushing is mounted solid as well, no loose screws.

#2760 4 years ago

Quick Note:

If you are interested in purchasing a new playfield from Classic Playfields for your High Speed or know someone that wants one. CPR is showing only 3 left on their web page!

[EDIT] --- 1 Left!

#2762 4 years ago

[EDIT] I originally said coin door pic. what I really need is a pic of the front cabinet so I can print the "HIGH SPEED" and trace it for a stencil it so I can paint the front cabinet.

Need a favor from my High Speed community. My High Speed front cabinet is very weathered and I need to do a cabinet paint job. The sides are in decent shape but the front needs serious help.

If I could get one of you to take a high res picture straight on of the front CABINET so I can create a stencil I would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here is an example of my cabinet.

you can email it to me at 757drivr@gmail(DOT)com
IMG_3143 (resized).JPGIMG_3143 (resized).JPG

#2768 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

...and so it begins...these playfields are way better than the original[quoted image][quoted image]

Hey @monkfe, is that a CPR play field? I ordered one and waiting impatiently for it to arrive.

#2770 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

The CPR playfields came too late for me.
I will be putting the final clearcoat on my playfield Sunday......

Definitely a much cheaper way to go.

#2773 4 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Wow - it looks that bad and it is only the front?
Just get decals instead of a stencil and just redo the whole thing. That looks tough. I don’t have art for you since I am in a mod restore myself.
I put decals on my cabinet. I know it is not original but it is easier and in my opinion looks better.

Yea, the sides are remarkably in good shape thus why I just want to paint the front and leave the sides as is. Should be easy to paint the front. just need a good pic. Actually looking at the side of my cabinet I might be able to snap a photo of the HIGH SPEED and scale it to correct size in photoshop then make a stencil.

#2775 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

The Pinball Pimp folks sold me just the backbox stencils. Might wanna see if they will sell you just the front.

Ok, if that is an option I will try that. thanks

#2777 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I can take a pic of mine if you don't need everything taken off. I only have the camera from my samsung s9+ , will that work?

That would be perfect. The red and yellow square is easy to duplicate. I need a pic that shows the HIGH SPEED graphics. Thanks

#2780 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I probably would have bought one anyway.
I believe the touch-up/clear coat labor is probably equal to the playfield swap labor depending on how worn the playfield actually is.

Nice to start fresh with new PF but either way there are challenges.

#2784 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Pics sent. Lmk if you don't get them.

Got them! Thanks

#2786 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Man, I was wondering how my Gmail knew your name when I was putting in the address and just figured it out. I sent you pool sharks pics a while back for that diverter. I was so mad at myself from that. I ended up breaking a plastic getting to that game and those are impossible to find! Lol. Did you get a diverter made for that?

Oh, NO. Sorry to hear that. Yes, I was able to get my diverter working. Had to make a piece from scratch then order a dozen plastic diverter pieces from a 3D printer company. Would have cost the same had I ordered 1 or 12. Has been working great since.

Sorry about the broken plastic and thanks for the help. Again.

#2788 4 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I need some pictures (and maybe some parts) for the locking portion of the coin door. My coin door did not have a lock on it when I bought it. I bought an 7/8 that Marco's recommenced and said that would fit. After install of the lock, the door will not securely close and hangs opens about a 1/4. Any picture (parts) or suggestions would be great.

My door does that as well. There are a couple ways to fix this. I just bent an angle in the lock arm and that took out the slop. you can also find a pre bent lock arm like the one in the pic. This pre bent arm example is technically bent the wrong way, the dimple should match up with the door frame and this one would make more slack than less if installed correctly. You could install it flipped if desired.

IMG_3146 (resized).JPGIMG_3146 (resized).JPGIMG_3147 (resized).JPGIMG_3147 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2792 4 years ago

I inquired also as I have a Playfield on order for High Speed. They were caught off guard by the demand of the high speed playfield. It seems they put the cart in front of the horse. Did not plan on so many orders along with orders still being accepted even though they did not have any more play fields.

Not sure I believe 100% of what they are claiming but they did say the play fields should ship next week. They told me that september 4th as well soooo......

#2795 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Anyone replace their factory speaker with two speakers?...I reached out to pinsound...said they are working on the early system 11 games and this game specifically, but "a work in progress "...my machine was down so I was filling my down time with replacing them...I removed the fabric and speaker screen, which pretty much destroys it as the glue sticks to it pretty good, I found replacement screen from pinball life. Two 4x6 speakers from Amazon some #8 T nuts...found new fabric on ebay...... Don't forget your thin blue line
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I need to do this as well. My speaker board needs replacing along with the faded fabric cover. Looks nice!

1 month later
#2814 4 years ago

Hey Woody,

Since your right lower flipper is working, If you have not done so yet, I would check continuity between the cabinet flipper switch BLK/YEL wire to the Coil Lug BLK/YEL wire on your upper right flipper. (see pic below) Possibly a molex terminal has slipped out of one of the dark brown connectors in the lower back cabinet. There are TWO connectors you need to check. See Pics.
Check Continuity at red arrowsCheck Continuity at red arrowsIMG_3484 (resized).JPGIMG_3484 (resized).JPGIMG_3485 (resized).JPGIMG_3485 (resized).JPG

#2817 4 years ago

I am not sure if a bad cap Would cause that to not fire. Have you shorted the switch itself at the switch solder connections where the cap is soldered? There could be a problem with the switch blades. How are the switch contacts?

#2819 4 years ago

When you

Quoted from woody76:

10-4, I was just about to do that. Coil is getting power, I shorted it and it fires, so it has to be something with that black/yellow wire or the cabinet switch. A bad cap on the cabinet switch would not cause this would it??
I wanted to get the rest of the game put back together before my daughters halloween party today.
Thanks for your help

What did you short to get the coil to fire?

#2821 4 years ago

This is very basic but Did you check the flipper switch for continuity? place the DMM probes on the solder tabs fo the switch at the BLK/YEL and ORG/VIO then press the flipper button. I am at a loss here and thinking it is going to be a very odd failure.

#2823 4 years ago

I am out of ideas on this one. I do not believe the cap would be a culprit but stranger things have happened.

#2828 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You need to check for continuity from the other wire on the cabinet switch to the connector on the CPU board.

Woody said the lower flipper operates, it is just the upper flipper that is not operating via the flipper cabinet switch. The lower and the upper flipper use the same wire ORG/VIO to the CPU board 1J19-1 so the continuity should show good. Wouldn't you agree?

#2829 4 years ago

Your solenoid wiring is correct. No cap needed. Here is a pic of my upper flipper.

IMG_3487 (resized).jpgIMG_3487 (resized).jpg
#2837 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

can you explain how to do this? want to make sure I do it correctly.

use a jumper wire to the ORG/VIO & BLK/YEL on the solder lugs of the switch. This will only work if you have an active game or in diagnostic mode such as switch edges or switch levels. If the solenoid operates your switch is suspect.
IMG_3488 (resized).jpgIMG_3488 (resized).jpg

#2840 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

What is the most likely cause if none of my special solenoids are firing (slings, pops, rear flasher). All other coils are working fine, including flippers. New rottendog board.

Did the problem start after you installed the rottendog board or did you install the rottendog board trying to fix the problem?

#2846 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

just did this and started game and upper flipper fired and held until I took jumper off. Ordered a new switch.
Thanks monkfe, grumpy, and pin-pilot

Great! I always replace flipper switches. Its easy and they usually need to be replaced when you get a used game.

3 weeks later
#2887 4 years ago

Either file down the top of the screw just a little, take the screw off and use a grinder to file the top of the screw a little or you can file the end of the wire on the spinner into a cone shape or cut the wire 1/16". You could also find a replacement screw that might have a screw head that is not as high. There is some room on the spinner bracket to move it over keeping the spinner wire away from the screw head, looks like there is some room on the other side of the spinner to take up the slack.

3 weeks later
#2922 4 years ago

OH BOY! It is time, Complete High Speed restore. This is gonna be fun! A bit intimidating. Replacing most playfield parts, targets, plastics, CPR playfield, etc. installing molex connectors, the works. Cabinet repaint. You name it. Gonna look like new when done. Have taken a SH*T load of pics and movies for a smooth re-assembly. High_End_Pins has been quite the resource. Wish me luck, I am gonna need it! The Before imageThe Before imageProgress picProgress picSlowly adding Molex connectorsSlowly adding Molex connectorsreplacing all the targets. Want to start new with anything I canreplacing all the targets. Want to start new with anything I canFully testing all diodes and switches as I assemble new setsFully testing all diodes and switches as I assemble new sets

#2935 4 years ago

Here is a front pic if you need it.

PF_Diverter_pic (resized).JPGPF_Diverter_pic (resized).JPG
4 weeks later
#2994 4 years ago

Well, that is a start!

#2996 4 years ago

Been making progress on my High Speed restoration. At some point this game was in a very damp environment. Every screw is corroded, every screw that screws into the wood is rusty. I am replacing all hardware. Finding #5 hardware is one of the biggest challenges. Completed the GI wiring on the new playfield. Made a couple wiring mods to clean up redundant/extra wire runs. Also found a couple wire colors that were incorrect color. I assume that during initial assemble they ran out of correct wire colors and just used what they had on hand. I also replaced all the fake wood rails with real Oak wood. Got lots of work to do but it is getting there.
Jan20_2 (resized).JPGJan20_2 (resized).JPGStapling and wiring GI lightsJan21_6 (resized).JPGJan21_6 (resized).JPGInstalled standup targets todayjan25-5 (resized).JPGjan25-5 (resized).JPGProgress from a couple days agoJan21 (resized).JPGJan21 (resized).JPGTodays progressJan25-3 (resized).JPGJan25-3 (resized).JPGJan25_1 (resized).JPGJan25_1 (resized).JPGPF_L_Freeway (resized).JPGPF_L_Freeway (resized).JPGPF_R_Drain_andwire (resized).JPGPF_R_Drain_andwire (resized).JPGNew hardware
New_hdwr (resized).JPGNew_hdwr (resized).JPGOld Rusty hardware. Every screw & bolt I have taken off is this bad. Taking lots of extra time finding, ordering new hardwareOld_rusty_hdwr (resized).JPGOld_rusty_hdwr (resized).JPG

#2999 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Looks good man, keep up the hard work! Been there myself and know what a challenge it is. Be meticulous with your wiring and it will all pay off!

Thanks, It is definitely a LOT of work. Measure twice cut once, it's a good motto. Anything that is old or worn is being replaced. So far everything has gone without any snafus. My big challenge will be painting the cabinet. I am good with electrical and mechanical aspect. Reading DANGERTERROR posts above about issues after assembly sure adds some anxiety into the process.

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sooo shiny!!!

Love getting rid of all the old rust and replacing with fresh clean metal.

#3002 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

One of the things I did when I restored mine was to not use those original low profile GI sockets with the running stapled wire. Turned out pretty good. I believe I had to use just one original sockets to clear a rollover switch arm. I also had to replace one of the light bars with individual sockets as one of the small springs that keep tension on one of the bulbs was missing. But I feel ya...lots of work and almost everything needs to be soldered.

There is not a lot of the GI sockets that need the bare wire run. It was not too bad. The only thing is the sockets I ordered from Pinball life were not great quality. The metal wall is very thin and does not hold the bulb in place on both sides. Discovered this after I installed them. I may have to swap them out.

#3007 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Same here. Full LED and I have the hum.

My High Speed Had the hum also. I was not intentionally trying to fix the hum but I needed a new power supply. I ordered a 3rd party Powersupply (don't recall the brand right now) instated it and the hum went away. food for thought. re-capping stock power supply may help as well.

#3008 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Joined the High Speed club yesterday with a players machine. Machine plays 100%, but playfield is a little rough and there are a couple of small issues. I had a few questions for you guys.
1. The volume knob on mine is a little wonky. I've lowered the volume all the way and it is still too loud. I am debating just throwing in a potentiometer to cut down the volume more, but didn't know if there was an issue with the board causing it. It seems like the sound effects are way louder than the music.
2. There is a loud humming noise that goes in concert with the lighting on the playfield. It's not all switched over to LEDs. I may just switch it over and see if it helps with the sound.
3. For those of you that have done a playfield swap or hardtop. How many hours of work do you guys think it is on this game? I will probably leave it as is. I figure that a working high speed with playfield mostly in tact would fetch $1800-$2000 at a show. This will have to move to make room for Rick and Morty down the road anyways. If it's a 20 hour or less job though, I might just go for it for the fun of it.[quoted image]

I am currently in the middle of a complete restore. The playfield is a big job. However I am doing a lot of extras like Molex connectors on all switches and solenoids. I am probably 30+ hours into it and maybe 1/2 way done with the Playfield. I am cleaning all the brackets as I go as well so that is taking a lot of time. All the hardware is rusty so I am replacing 99% of the screws and bolts on the playfield.

Take a look at my post #2996 on the previous page. I posted a few pictures of the progress.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to go.

#3011 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Thanks but I also have a new 3rd party power supply.

Another source is boards not properly grounded. Have you checked to make sure everything is grounded very well!

#3021 4 years ago

1. So after opening up my High Speed and really looking at the Power Control board... I am scared of my pinball machine. I just ordered a reconditioned board off of Ebay that looks brand new for $60 and a set of 200 molex connectors off of amazon for $15 to fix this mess. Hopefully this will fix the loud humming noises on my machine and will make comfortable enough to sleep at night without worrying about the house burning down. This board was one of the last original boards in the machine. I'm sure someone will want a System 11 board to tinker with.

You should also add the fuses to the rectifies just below the PS board. Important modification in the event one of the rectifiers goes tits-up. That can prevent the game from going up in flames as well. You can see the 2 fuses between the BR's in the picture monkfe posted.

Here is the post>>>>> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-945745

#3025 4 years ago

I found the issue that was causing a loud buzzing while in attract mode. It is a grounding issue with the potentiometer (volume knob) itself. I was in the process of switching out the potentiometer (which I did but used too small of one so now it's even louder) when I ran out of butane for my soldering iron. The red and black wires were left unplugged so no sound should be coming through the machine right? Wrong! I have sound at a reasonable level. I'd like to turn it up a little, but it is just fine for my house for now and I will leave it as be until I can get the correct part in.
As a side effect THE HUMMING NOISE WENT AWAY!!! I also discovered that if I touch the black wire to the grounding plate the potentiometer is on, the humming noise comes back. So, if you have issues with a loud humming noise going in concert with your lighting, it is most likely a grounding issue with the speaker wire with a prime suspect being an older poteniometer bent into the grounding plate.
Below is an extremely low quality video describing the buzz and how to possibly fix it.
Thanks guys!

Good to see you found the issue!

#3041 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

pin-pilot question.
Where did you get the color wires for the Switch Strobes/GI ?
I am having trouble finding those kind of things for restorations.
regards, vec-tor.
Excellent job on the High Speed.

I ordered it from Bay Area Amusements (bayareaamusements.com), which has just merged with PPS. They sell it in 22 and 18 gauge. I used to Search "wire" on Bay Area web page but it does not work as well on PPS site. ( I was inspired by High_End_Pins when I saw his wire collection) It was a MUST to keep the wiring color correct on my High Speed restoration. I am installing all molex connectors on Solenoids, switches and targets for easy maintenance and repairs.

I have collected quite a bit of wire now both in 18 and 22 gauge in many color combinations (not cheap but worth it to me). I use 18 for solenoids, relays, etc and 22 gauge for switches.

Here is a pic of the mechanical buildup as of today. I am almost ready to transfer the wire harness over, just a couple more switches to move.

IMG_4853 (resized).jpgIMG_4853 (resized).jpg
#3044 4 years ago

I am in the middle of my High Speed restoration. I am looking to replace the Playfield mounting brackets. I was able to find the part that attaches directly to the playfield but cannot find anyone that sells the other half that is attached to the inside cabinet. (see picture). Anyone know where I can find 2 of these brackets? Thanks. I have searched but cannot find any.

TIA

IMG_4891 (resized).JPGIMG_4891 (resized).JPG
#3046 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Call TNT Amusements, see if they have any.

Ok, Thanks, I will do that.

#3050 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I am.shocked that the vendors don't have this part. If all else, it can be made. I have my high speed torn down, I would be happy to provide measurements.

I am replacing both pieces on each side. I was a little surprised I could not find them either.

#3051 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I bought replacements for my restoration (still waiting on the cabinet to be finished). The part number is 01-8250. I got them from Pinball Resource.

That is strange, I spoke with steve the other day and he said he did not have any. Maybe I will call with the part number.

#3052 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Are your pieces actual damaged? Few minutes on a buffer and they would shine like new.

Not damaged, just worn. The part that is mounted to the playfield is worn quite a bit. It is difficult to tell on the U shaped piece but I assume there is wear and I would rather replace them both.

#3053 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I bought replacements for my restoration (still waiting on the cabinet to be finished). The part number is 01-8250. I got them from Pinball Resource.

Thanks Bellagio I used the part number and got 2 coming from PBR.

#3056 4 years ago

It attaches to the post under the ramp and to the rear screw on the stop light bracket attached to the ramp.

IMG_4995 (resized).jpgIMG_4995 (resized).jpg
#3057 4 years ago

Here is my old playfield with a pic of the stoplight attachment point.

PF_Left_spinner_area (resized).JPGPF_Left_spinner_area (resized).JPG
#3059 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Anybody seen a High Speed more blown out than mine? Hardtop is on its way![quoted image]

That is definitely in need of a re-do!

#3061 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I’m glad you brought that up, my game is totally missing that. I’ll have to try to track down the part number. If I can’t find it I’ll try to make one.

Marco has them, But would be easy to make as well.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6683

3 weeks later
#3086 4 years ago

Anyone have recent paint codes/numbers for the red and yellow colors on the cabinet? Dunn-Edwards, Behr, Sherwin-Williams. I found a couple references to colors in previous posts in this thread but nothing within a couple years (Posts 1933- 2 years old and 71- 6 years old).

#3088 4 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

My buddy used the #1933 colors last summer and it came out great.

Ok, thanks. Figured I’d ask here before I get the paint

#3090 4 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Just grabbed High Speed today.
Needs a little clean up work on PF and Cabinet... But got a pretty good deal i think.
Will be back here for advice no doubt.[quoted image]

Congrats... Looks pretty clean. One of my favorite games. Mine is currently in about 200 different pieces in the middle of a full restore.

1 week later
#3132 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Anyone interested in anything off this? I'm about ready to tear into it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nos-f-14-tomcat-playfield-400-obo

I am restoring my High Speed and would be interested in all the lamp groups. My lamp gropup connecting metal is all rusted and trashed. How is the metal on those?

Would also be interested in the diverter mechanism, spinner switches, and pivot brackets if they are not worn.

#3137 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I should have things cleaned up tomorrow and will have pics.

ok, thanks

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Can anyone confirm the wiring on this? My picture sucks.
Looks like white/gray screwed to the playfield but are both green wires soldered to the center post?[quoted image]

Here is a pic...

Hideout_wire_detail (resized).JPGHideout_wire_detail (resized).JPG
#3140 4 years ago

Hey Jordan,

I purchased a whole new set. I looked for the receipt but cannot find where I bought them from.

Marco sells a whole set... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/TS1357

Not sure but this might be where I bought them from.

You may want to check with PBR also.

It was quite a bit of work swapping them out but I figured it was worth the work. I Molexed them all as well.

The 1-6 targets have rear mount brackets and the 3 sets of stoplight targets are all front mount brackets. I forget which ones but I did have to do some minor fanagling to mount 3 targets (I believe it was) as the mounting brackets were slightly different. (think landscape versus portrait or horizontal bracket versus vertical) The new ones were all horizontal type mount bracket and a few of the original had a mount bracket that was vertical. I may not be explaining it very well but that is the gist.

Hope this helps you out
IMG_4771 (resized).JPGIMG_4771 (resized).JPG

#3142 4 years ago

With the whole playfield swap it makes sense to replace as much as possible to get the game up to better than new standards. The mechanics will be HEP quality. The paint... yea, not HEP quality but I will get it as close as my paint talent will take me. I am mostly waiting on the new cabinet to arrive then I will be off to the races. Mostly everything is done and ready to be assembled in the cabinet.

The one thing that I am trying to figure out is the playfield pivot mount alignment. It has to be "dead on" in all dimensions. Just a little bit off and it will not be level, will pivot crooked in the cabinet or will not line up with the playfield hangers and lock bar mechanism. This will be a case of measure 100 times and drill once.

I am sure there is a system out there but as yet have not run across someone that has the solution.

#3151 4 years ago

Yea, That back flasher is a gotcha for sure. I am sure most end up doing that.

#3152 4 years ago

I should be able to just plug in the ramp and make sure all the switches and the eject solenoid work as intended during a normal game.. Right?[quoted image][quoted image]

I would think so as long as you have all the connectors plugged in.

Looking good!

#3162 4 years ago

That does not look like a board for High Speed. Why do you say that GI plug is causing boot problems?

Here is a picture from my High Speed PS board

hs_PS (resized).jpghs_PS (resized).jpg
#3185 4 years ago

Red was the correct answer. Moved it over and it works perfectly now. I was actually looking at a past post you had replied on that said the same thing lol
Sweet deal, looks like all I have left is to figure out the flashers. Well and to install pops / star rollovers when they get here.
You're my hero grumpy.

GRUMPY knows his shit!!!

#3188 4 years ago

100%.
Man I'm feeling good about finishing this thing.
I really need to figure out how to change the launch angle on the shooter lane at some point. It's smacking right into the lower targets.. Not even close to the ramp. It seems like it's that damn post sleeve, but from all I can tell, it's supposed to be like that.. Bleh

There is an adjustment you can make on the ball guide rail that exits the shooter lane. There are 2 screws and a slotted mount that you can change the exit angle of the rail. I am not sure which targets the ball is hitting but it sounds like yours needs to be adjusted "looser" so the ball travels higher on the playfield out of the launch lane. Is this correct? Or is the ball hitting the targets higher on the playfield? In that case the lane should be adjusted "Tighter". Here is a pic of the slotted mount.
IMG_4090 (resized).JPGIMG_4090 (resized).JPG

#3189 4 years ago

here is another closer angle

PF_Launch_Guide_adj (resized).JPGPF_Launch_Guide_adj (resized).JPG
#3191 4 years ago

Yep, makes sense--on both suggestions. Also reading that a post sleeve can cause it to deflect (what's happening on mine, I'm almost certain of it).

Is it hitting the post sleeve just out of the shooter lane? If that is the case then the lane guide should be adjusted to make a harder turn or tighter turn to avoid the post rubber.

#3192 4 years ago

Can you take a slow motion video of the ball launch?

#3195 4 years ago

Going to not worry about it for now since I know the ramp has to come off at least once more. I understand the mechanics in play, I just need to fiddle with it until it's right. I might have to revise how I'm approaching securing the screw there. It doesn't seem to want to screw in terribly tightly and that's allowing it to flex. May just say hell with it and use a 6-32 bolt with a locknut under the PF. I need that to hold strong when I do finally get it set right.

Sorry, did not mean to imply anything about not understanding the workings of the lane.

That is an option. however... Better option and a little more work...but. With stripped out wood screws you can drill the hole a little bigger, find a wood dowel beforehand for size you want then drill into the playfield do not go through the playfield to the other side. Pre-fit the dowel. should be a snug fit, then insert wood glue into the hole, do not need a lot, then insert dowel into the hole. Let dry, sand flat. Then drill new hole for screw and voila! This makes for original look and much easier to adjust ball guide angle. Another reason to do it this way is there may me mechanics underneath the playfield that will not allow for space for a nut.

#3198 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Put some wood glue in the hole and then take a wooden toothpick and break it in half and put both pointed ends in the hole. Then give them a wack from a hammer and let it dry over night. Cut off excess with Xacto knife. Replace screw and tighten as normal.

That is probably a better route with the Hardtop installed.

#3202 4 years ago

It's coming along! You know that there should be 2 of the 5" bands around the back diverter unit right.

#3203 4 years ago

A little pinball porn for y'all while we try to avoid COVID-19.

Started sanding my cabinet the other day and came to the conclusion rather quickly that it would be way too much work and maybe not even possible to restore this cabinet back to top notch quality. Cab_rot1 (resized).jpgCab_rot1 (resized).jpgThe top laminate is separating from the lower layer, not good.cab_rot3 (resized).JPGcab_rot3 (resized).JPGCab_rot2 (resized).jpgCab_rot2 (resized).jpgThe water rot has taken a big toll on the wood structure.

While I wait for the cabinet to arrive, hopefully within the next couple weeks, I am exercising my OCD by replacing and labeling the 34 year old yellowed Molex connectors.IMG_5352 (resized).JPGIMG_5352 (resized).JPGIMG_5353 (resized).JPGIMG_5353 (resized).JPGIMG_5362 (resized).JPGIMG_5362 (resized).JPGLabeling will make for quick troubleshooting and diagnostics down the line.IMG_5350 (resized).jpgIMG_5350 (resized).jpgIMG_5351 (resized).JPGIMG_5351 (resized).JPGIMG_5363 (resized).JPGIMG_5363 (resized).JPGI replaced as many connectors as I could. I was unable find 15 pin or larger connectors. DigiKey had them listed on their web site however they were marked "obsolete". I will keep looking and replace them later if I can find themIMG_5368 (resized).JPGIMG_5368 (resized).JPG
Also tore the coin door down to get it powder coated. It was in rough shape. The powder coating did a fair job at covering up the rustCoin_door_B4 (resized).jpgCoin_door_B4 (resized).jpgI will continue looking for a replacement door. Until then this one will have to do. It will be an easy swap down the road.Coin_door_between (resized).JPGCoin_door_between (resized).JPGCoin_Door_After (resized).jpgCoin_Door_After (resized).jpg
This Wednesday I will get my 54 pieces back from the metal plater.

#3207 4 years ago

That's what the kit said but there's only one groove, where's the second band supposed to go?!
Your cabinet, oh man... That makes me sad. The rest though.. Wow! Beautiful!
I need to pull my coin door on this and my world cup soccer for powder at some point. Just seems like a lot of hassle

It is a bummer about my cabinet. The wood is just too damaged to bring back to high quality restore I am aiming for. It was an extra expense I was not counting on but it would be wrong to not replace it.

The coin door has a lot of pieces to it but mine really needed a full teardown and restore. I will post a pic when I get it back to gather.

You have it routed correctly around the back of the metal diverter bracket. PF_Diverter_pic (resized).JPGPF_Diverter_pic (resized).JPGHere is a pic of the rubber placement, one goes in the groove and the other goes above the groove (EDIT: actually I am not sure about the second rubber. It may go below the groove. I just matched a ball against the rubber and it appears that it might match up better if it is below the groove. I see an issue with this though, the band could, over time, slide down the post and rest on the playfield. So I still think it should go above the grooved rubber. Grumpy? want to chime in here?) IMG_5372 (resized).jpgIMG_5372 (resized).jpgHere is a pic of my old PF diagram.

#3209 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Try Great Plains Electronics, he has a lot of the older connectors.

I checked Great Plains electronics and got the dreaded "Obsolete" on the connectors I was looking for. Maybe Grumpy will have some available he is willing to part with. FingersCrossed...

#3210 4 years ago

Interesting. I'll add it when I get home!
I'm a little pissed at myself, I placed my big orders with Marco and pinball-mods and managed to forget three important things: a crimping tool, a I pin removal tool, and a pop spoon. I robbed the lower spoon off High Speed to fix my F14. Forgot a couple of sockets to shoot some light into these clear star rollovers, too. Stupid stupid stupid!
Oh well, follow-up order it is.

Don't beat yourself up. We have ALL forgot to include something in an order then had to pay another shipping fee to get the missing parts. FYI: I have placed several orders because I have forgotten to include or did not realize I needed. So you are not by yourself here.

#3212 4 years ago

Haha, I know! But I toiled over these orders for weeks before committing, thinking for sure I had it all. Whifffff! I hope the mail service doesn't shut down!

In the big scheme of things. paying $8-10 in shipping is not a huge setback. 2 cups of Starbucks coffee to put it into perspective!

#3215 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Yeah it seems like a lot of those larger molex connectors were only used on older games and are no longer produced. Unfortunately a lot of them are in fairly bad burnt/yellowed condition and are tough to replace.

Mine are not burned just yellowed and I am sure brittle. Replacing what I can. Want to keep it as stock as possible. Do not want to change to a different connector making it non-interchangeable with other High Speed games.

I will just leave them if I cannot find replacements.

#3220 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I believe marco has one of the 15 pin connectors, but not the mating one to match it...

I will go check it out. Thanks.

EDIT: I searched, did not find it. Could you post a link if you are able to find it. I am looking for the square 5X3 jack and plug.

#3223 4 years ago

Not super thrilled with my execution on these but it is what it is. I should have slowed the Dremel down when I got close [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did not realize the roll-overs had to be installed like that. Honestly I am not a fan of the hard tops, although they seem to be VERY popular. I am sure it is less labor intense than a play field swap.

I chose the playfield swap route because I wanted to replace the playfield since all the screws were rusty on the bottom and it was evident that the game had been in a damp environment for a period of time. The cabinet also showed that making it necessary to replace that as well.

Take your time and I am sure it will all be fine in the end.

#3224 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I have a 15 pin female housing but no male. What type of others did you need?[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, that is one of the ones I am looking for.

The other 2 come off the power transformer. See pics.

IMG_5376 (resized).JPGIMG_5376 (resized).JPGIMG_5377 (resized).JPGIMG_5377 (resized).JPGIMG_5379 (resized).JPGIMG_5379 (resized).JPG
#3229 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You need a male 12 pin. And a 4 pin. My 4 pins are different then yours.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, I can use the 12 pin male. I have the 4 pin ones but not the one from the transformer.

you have a PayPal I can send you $ for the 12 pin male? That is if you are willing to part ways with it.

#3230 4 years ago

Can anyone confirm the wiring for the upper pop? As per usual, my pictures are less than useless.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

looks like you are looking for GI wiring connections for the Pop bumper correct? I did a little re-configuring when I did the pop bumpers but here are some pics. Let me know if they help.

I may have pics of the original, before I disassembled the old playfield. Let me know if you need more pics.

IMG_5384 (resized).JPGIMG_5384 (resized).JPGIMG_5385 (resized).JPGIMG_5385 (resized).JPGIMG_5386 (resized).JPGIMG_5386 (resized).JPGIMG_5387 (resized).JPGIMG_5387 (resized).JPG
#3232 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

The one I was referring to was the .062 you want the .093...not sure on that size.

Actually I AM looking for .62 size in the 15 and 24 pin version. Grumpy was gracious enough to offer the female side of the 15 pin .62 so I am good there just need the Male side now.

I think I will be SOL on the 24 pin connector.

#3234 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

This is the one marco has ...[quoted image]

Hey Monk,

Thanks for the link. That is the connector I am searching for. I must have overlooked it when searching before. It does look like the Male side is not available, still looking through the pages of connectors.

This forum is such a wealth of information. I was hoping it would lead to finding the parts I was looking for.

Your link led me to find the 24 pin connector at Marco as well both Male and female! I find it so difficult to find parts unless you have a part number. They are not cheap but it is exactly what I am looking for. Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 7.36.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-17 at 7.36.51 PM (resized).png

Thanks!

#3236 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I thought you were looking for the .093 size. Most of my connectors are .093 size. I rechecked my stash and didn't have the 15 pin in the small size. Sorry.

OK, thanks. I am seriously going cross-eyed from searching connectors online now.

My posts were a bit confusing and not very precise. My bad.

The 15 pin connector (male and female) .63 I need connects the playfield switch harness to back box MPU harness. Marco seems to have the female but not the male as monkfe posted above. The 15 pin you posted looks like .63. If that is the case I will order a couple from Marco and you can hold on to yours.

I was shocked to find the 24 pin connector available on Marcos site. Gonna order a few of those as well.

searching for parts for pinball machines is like a treasure hunt across the world continents!

Thanks again GRUMPY

#3237 4 years ago

It is amazing what resources are out there for pinball restoration help. Peter at www.inkochnito.nl has created many great PDF files for printing labels for almost every pinball need out there. I downloaded his file for the Diagnostic switch set on the inside of the coin door and had my local Kinkos print it up on glossy paper. Came out great I think. He does this for free. I made a nice donation for his cause.

BeforeCoin_door_reset_Sws (resized).JPGCoin_door_reset_Sws (resized).JPGAfter Coin_door_reset_sw_new (resized).jpgCoin_door_reset_sw_new (resized).jpg

#3238 4 years ago

Hey @ksuwildcatfan, here is another "before" image of the area I think you are working on with the GI wiring.
GI_Wiring_detail (resized).JPGGI_Wiring_detail (resized).JPG

#3240 4 years ago

Thanks! I downloaded all of those for reference.
I'm going to order straight leads before I start on these. These flexible leads are a joke. No sense in starting down a path that I know for a fact is just going to piss me off!
Glad you're finding most of your connectors. I 100% agree finding a lot of this stuff without part numbers is a real chore a lot of the time, unfortunately.

I ordered the wired lead pop bumper light sockets as well. When I test fit the socket I realized that they will not work. The worst part is the socket does not stay in place and the bulb would lean up against the pop bumper body.

#3244 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Try Actionpinball.com they are another great vendor

Have ordered many parts from Action. Looks like they have the last connector I am searching for... the 15 pin male ( I refer to it as male, but site says female) connector .63 Thanks eyeamred2u It is the match to the connector in post #3233 above even though they are both labeled as "Female". Maybe that is why I did not find it in earlier searches.
Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 8.44.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-18 at 8.44.13 AM (resized).png

If there was an APP that would search all the pinball retail sites for parts, that would make life so much easier. It seems the parts are spread out amongst all the pinball retail sites. 1 part from this site, another part from another site. LOL The shipping costs add up after a while.

#3245 4 years ago

Good link. Did not realize those existed! That looks like a real good option.

#3249 4 years ago

parts are back from the plating company.

IMG_5411 (resized).JPGIMG_5411 (resized).JPG
HS_Plating_parts (resized).jpgHS_Plating_parts (resized).jpg

I'd say a big improvement! Built up the coin door.

Coin_Door_reassemble2 (resized).JPGCoin_Door_reassemble2 (resized).JPG

IMG_5418 (resized).jpgIMG_5418 (resized).jpgCoin_door (resized).JPGCoin_door (resized).JPG

Lots of rust

IMG_5002 (resized).JPGIMG_5002 (resized).JPG
IMG_5415 (resized).JPGIMG_5415 (resized).JPG

#3251 4 years ago

Did you see @high_end_pins is starting a #high-speed restore? Just starting.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/130#post-5536228

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Hey Grumpy . I noticed the connector you circled is burnt at bottom right pin. Do you have a connector I could get from you or a part number? What size pins? Thanks.

MJW:

I am up to my eyebrows in molex connector research. This is the connector you are looking for:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0003091126/WM1337-ND/61336

#3257 4 years ago

Lower pop bumper (in pic) doesn't fire... So previous owner drilled wood screws to keep it getting stuck there. Left sling also doesnt fire.
Any ideas what would cause that??[quoted image]

With that kind of fix, There could be a multitude of reasons for those not to work. Have you run a solenoid test in the diagnostic menu? I would start there. If the solenoids fire in the diagnostic menu that eliminates solenoid issues. Could be a switch issue. You can test the switches in the "switch edges" diagnostic test menu.

Start with that and let us know.

GRUMPY may have some ideas as well.

#3266 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Both are special solenoids so switch test is no help. But run coil test and let us know the outcome.

Wouldn’t he want to check the bumper skirt switch and the slingshot switches to make sure they are registering? If a switch is not activating how would the solenoid fire?

These two solenoids do not have any common activation matrix wiring that I could see in the schematics and matrix so each would have a problem unique to its own circuit correct?

#3272 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What you are seeing in the matrix are the score switches not the activation switches. The activation switches go directly to the logic chip to turn on the predrivers.

Ah, Thanks for that. So much to learn! Wish you were my neighbor. Could learn so much from you.

#3277 4 years ago
Quoted from Civil:

Dang. Just typed a very distinctive post about this HS, clicked on the pictures, hit back on my phone, deleting my post. Lesson learned. Haha.
Anyways, finished this for a friend today. Had a full pf mylar that wasn't in the greatest shape.
Cheers.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice clean High Speed

#3282 4 years ago

Restoration is always exciting.

#3288 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Can someone send me a shot of the pivot point on the playfield, specifically the part that mounts to the cabinet. I can't recall how the bracket mounts to the sidewall. I'm looking at replacing my data east pivot assy and thought about the one used on my old high speed might be a good candidate.(but I got rid of all my pics)

Here ya go...

IMG_4891 (resized).JPGIMG_4891 (resized).JPGPFB_Hing-R (resized).JPGPFB_Hing-R (resized).JPGPFB_Playfield_hinge (resized).JPGPFB_Playfield_hinge (resized).JPG
#3296 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

Been trying to keep busy while at home.

Made a rotisserie playfield clamp that does not need C-Clamps. Check it out. What do you guys think? Any input welcome.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotisserie-without-c-clamps#post-5545449

#3312 4 years ago

Hahaha so bright. I need to dim them slightly and then turn on the interactive pop. Swapping flippers too, and still need to tweak pop skirt/spoon alignment[quoted image][quoted image]

Those look pretty cool! I may have to check into them.

1 week later
#3332 4 years ago

Congrats! My High Speed restore is in "Need-New-Cabinet" indefinite wait mode. Everything else is ready to 99% ready to go.

#3336 4 years ago

I thought you had a new cab coming?!

Me TOO! Then the guy (Paul from Virtuapin.net) stopped all cabinet production and is only shipping his virtual pinball customers due to Covid-19. So I am dead in the water.

#3337 4 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I'll likely replace the spoon on my 'green' pop because it's still got the one it had before I started (that thin piece of crap I replaced because I couldn't get the top of the 'red' pop to register at all).
That ramp really needs a nice touch at some point. Stock black looks bleh... :/[quoted image]
Translucent red was my choice![quoted image][quoted image]

I opted for Red as well. Looks great.

#3342 4 years ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

That's not entirely accurate. After everyone went home for the stay at home order, I was focused on getting the "smalls" caught up, before getting back to cab building. I'm building cabs 6 days a week. It's just going to take longer, as I'm working by myself until this is all over.

Ok, Sorry, Thought that is what you told me when we spoke. Can you estimate a finish time for the HS cabinet?

#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Hi all,
Some help needed please....
On the P/Supply board, socket 3J6 Logic power, the 15pin one I have a extra wire on pin 14. Which in the manual states is not used. This wire goes to the playfield socket pictured. the wire is top of the socket as you look at the picture in the middle, on the left next to it is the hole without a wire. Look at the pics. ( yes I know, I only had a 14pin socket and 3J6 is 15)
I noticed this when I was running through checking all the wiring in the back box after changing all the sockets for all the boards.
Should it be there, if so whats it for?
Thank you for any help..[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There is no wire on the 3J6 as you suspect and the Schematic depicts. Here is a pic for you.

IMG_5739 (resized).jpgIMG_5739 (resized).jpg
#3364 4 years ago

That motor looks like it could be retired. I did buy a new one for my High Speed as well. It would intermittently work. My pin is still apart so cannot confirm if it was the motor but for $30 it is worth replacing.

#3366 4 years ago

Oh, I agree. I'm just being a cheap bastard lol. Plus, I'm bored so I guess it's a challenge to see if I can fix it. If not, into the trash with it.
The plastic cover polished up pretty nicely.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WOW! Nice Job! That looks great. SH*T... Now I am going to have to do mine as well. What did you use to polish it? Novus 1?

#3370 4 years ago

You just need to play it more and keep the motor warm and exercised!

#3372 4 years ago

You like playing with those ramp switches don't you. Exactly what is the issue. I think you may have mentioned it but I am being lazy and letting you explain it again. LOL

#3374 4 years ago

Right now I think the worst symptom is that it's registering ramps when I hit the ramp hard with the ball--regardless of whether I actually make the ramp or not. The first switch is gapped too closely I'm assuming. Annoying. Taking that apart this weekend, then begging for a primer on researching the lamp matrix issues

That sounds about right. Mine have always registered correctly so have not had to adjust them. The switch arm does have a decent travel so I would imagine it does not have to be super narrow gap.

And what's the deal with your lamp matrix?

#3400 4 years ago

To install the road decal you will have to remove the rivets that hold the switch assembly to the underside of the ramp, is this correct? Then rivet it back.

#3403 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Yeah, That was me that worked with Mr Tantrum on this project...if you want to do it "right" , yes you'll have to remove the rivets. But if you want to do it sort of half assed, you could just cut it short of the switch area as the decal seam is in the center of the two switches, and the same on the other side of the switch to the end of the ramp. The one GI light under the ramp was driving me nuts, this decal blocks it nicely.

"Do It Right" is my first name. I have rivet skills so that is not a problem, just an extra step I guess. I have a red ramp, I wonder how good it will look on the Red translucent ramp?

#3405 4 years ago

Funny, "hold my beer and watch this shit" is mine

Yea, "Do It Right" is what I want it to be but "Hold my beer and watch this shit" is probably a better match. LOL

#3408 4 years ago

Looking nice!

#3411 4 years ago

Looking good!!

#3418 4 years ago

What color ramp did you get?

#3422 4 years ago

I think the red is the way to go.

#3429 4 years ago

Big improvement over the OEM black for sure.

#3436 4 years ago

Here ya go...PPS has them for $2.50
02-318002-3180

1 month later
#3570 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Picking up a project HS on Monday. It will take all day driving to get there and back so fingers crossed its worth the drive

good luck and... Welcome.

#3574 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Buy a new playfield from classic playfied instead of that hardtop

Yes, Definitely the better way to go.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/highspeed-kit/#playfield

You can get one right now!

#3578 3 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Have you considered going with the red ramp from Freeplay? IMPO, goes better with the overall color scheme of HS.

I think the red is the way to go as well. Just adds a little more personality than the clear.

Quoted from Freeplay40:

Rob's stop light is AWESOME!

Love the Vertical stop light. Makes it less cluttery.

#3583 3 years ago
Quoted from bobkasprzyk:

Where do you get the metal bracket for the stop light

No metal bracket needed for vertical stoplight. It screws right on top of the bumper post.

#3604 3 years ago

HIGH SPEED!!!!

#3613 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Oh, here is the game btw
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking nice. Make sure you do the SYS 11 Bullet Proofing. Especially the Lamp and Solenoid Bridge Rectifier fuse install!! This is an absolute first and must do!

#3618 3 years ago
Quoted from bobkasprzyk:

Please, can you reference this comment with details. I am unfamiliar with what the issues are as I am new to the pinball maintenance issues. Thanks in advance.

My apologies, I meant to include the link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-945742

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-bullet-proofing-thread#post-1211580

#3624 3 years ago

Hey @grumpy,

Got an electrical question for you.

A couple things:

first: My sling shots solenoids don't seem to be making a full strong cycle. The leaf switches have a capacitor and a resistor parallel with the switches. I believe the capacitor is there to keep the circuit "closed" to make the solenoid fire fully and not cut out as soon as the kicker arm pushes the rubber opening the leaf switch. Is this assumption correct.

It seems to me that the power to the solenoid is cut before the solenoid gets a full cycle making a weak sling.

Second: I am getting 26 volts at all the regular solenoids under the playfield (this might be my problem). I get 34 volts when I pull the 3J3 IDC connector from the Power supply and measure terminals 6,7, & 8. Should this be dropping to 26 volts when the circuit is connected or should there be 34 volts at the solenoid terminals?

I am not getting a drop with the flipper and special solenoid voltages. It stays at 63VDC. The schematic shows 50VDC Should it be reading 63VDC?

Thanks

#3626 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I bought my High Speed on Monday and it totally crapped out on me after a couple hours of ownership. I did a little digging and found this beauty of a fire hazard in the fuse socket of the auxiliary power supply box. Wow. Just wow. Looks to be a cigarette wrapper.
What fuse do I need to buy? Cheers

Yea, that is no good.

I could not find reference in the Manual but I have a 8A fuse.

IMG_0235 (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (resized).JPG
#3630 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes.

There should be no drop. You have a poor connection somewhere. Your bridge rectifier could be on the way out.
Yes 50 volts unregulated circuit comes out at @ 65 volts. No problems there.

Ok, Time to dig a little deeper.

Would a poor connection cause that? Voltage drop when circuit is complete versus no drop when the connector is disconnected.

And you are referencing the BR on the power supply?

I have an aftermarket PS from Marco
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-8345

Would a bad diode in the circuit (on one of the solenoids) cause this?

#3632 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

When you connect that connector, you energized the flasher warming resistors. This small load should not have a effect if everything is correct. The power does not start at the power supply, just the fuse. The bridge rectifier is in the lower right corner of the back box. A bad cool diode will not cause this. This is a poor connection at the fuse, power supply connector, a dieing bridge rectifier, bad connector at the transformer or a poor solder joint.

Ok, I'll start doing some troubleshooting.

lots of Molex connectors so should be able to isolate fairly easily.

#3634 3 years ago

Ok, replaced BR with KBPC3504.

input 27.7VAC

Output 27.3VDC

Tried another BR got same results. Both of these BR's are new.

With connector 3P1 on PS unplugged output BR voltage went to 28.39VDC

I am a little baffled now.

Input AC voltage is good but output BR DC voltage is not rising to 34VDC

#3636 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I'm sure you added the fuse on the AC input to the bridge during the rebuild. Check to make sure there is good contact with the fuse to the fuse holder. Also there is two molex connectors before the bridge, make sure both are seated well. I have seen a molex pin come free from the plastic and be pushed out of the connector a bit making a poor connection.

Yes, did the fireproof fuse for both BR's.

I checked the molex connectors as well.

I measured the input to top BR get 26VAC
Measure output get 26VDC ???

Measure the input to bottom BR get 14VAC
Measure output get 17VDC

I measured straight off the top BR with output connections off and do not get a rise in voltage. Why is there no rise?
IMG_0238 (resized).JPGIMG_0238 (resized).JPGIMG_0239 (resized).JPGIMG_0239 (resized).JPGIMG_0240 (resized).JPGIMG_0240 (resized).JPGIMG_0241 (resized).JPGIMG_0241 (resized).JPG

#3637 3 years ago

Not sure what I did but I am getting 37VDC off the BR now. I did play with the wiring to the police light and relay. This is in the circuit with the BR I am having voltage issues with.

However when I plug the IDC connector 3P3 on the PS the voltage on the BR drops to 28VDC.

So something downline from here is causing my issue.

breaking out the magnifying glass.

#3638 3 years ago

Might be getting closer to resolving this issue.

I am getting a short (168 Ohms) reading on one of the red wire pins on 3P3 IDC connector.

I am suspecting it might be a flasher issue/short.

IMG_0242 (resized).JPGIMG_0242 (resized).JPGIMG_0244 (resized).JPGIMG_0244 (resized).JPG
#3642 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Those connections on the bridge rectifier need to be soldered not just crimped. Once you slide the spade connector onto the bridge terminal lug you need to solder it too.

Ok, I will do that.

Still working on this issue. My problem is I do not know the readings I should be getting.

When the solenoid BR is isolated (no connections on output) I get 37VDC on the output.

When the BR is placed in its circuit (3P3 IDC connected) the output voltage drops to 26VDC. I do not know if this is the Norm or not.

The reason I am questioning this is because the Lamp BR does not change when loaded or unloaded - 17VDC.

What started me down this troubleshooting road is the voltage I was getting at the Playfield Solenoid terminals is 26 volts and it should be closer to 34 correct?

Lastly, Could there be an issue with a warming resistor?

#3644 3 years ago

I should still see 37VDC at each solenoid correct? That is what I am getting on the BR when not connected in the circuit.

The 26VDC I am getting when I measure at the RED/Cathode solenoid terminal is not what it should be? It should be 37VDC right?

#3646 3 years ago

To find poor connection would checking resistance with ohm meter find the problem area? You answered this in the above post. Need a load for drop to show up.

EDIT: However, there is no load unless a solenoid is being actuated correct? The circuit is idle and only loaded when a solenoid is activated/grounded.

#3647 3 years ago

I get 67.2VDC at the special solenoid Cathode terminals.

One observation I see is the voltage leaks down on the special solenoids from 67 to 0 in about 5 seconds when power is turned off to the game. The voltage on the other solenoids immediately drops to 0. This makes me think there is a short somewhere.

I may be over thinking this.

#3649 3 years ago

Bridge and fuse holder all soldered up.

Getting 26.6 volts at coils still.

What should I do next? 37VDC (or close to this voltage) is what I should be reading at the coils and at the BR out, right?

Here are my solder joints just so that you know I can make a good solder joint.

IMG_0250 (resized).JPGIMG_0250 (resized).JPG
#3655 3 years ago
Quoted from rickyrooroo:

Total noob question, but my general illumination lights don't work. (The green ones that light up the back part of the playfield.(LEDs installed))
Where should I start. All fuses are checked outside of boards and test good.
thanks.

Sounds like just the back playfield GI lights are not working, Is this correct?

Here is the diagram. Make sure you check the fuses out of the fuse holder with a DMM. There are 3 GI circuits on the Playfield. Check the molex connectors to make sure one of the pins has not worked its way out.
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 9.45.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 9.45.27 PM (resized).png

#3674 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I’m almost done putting things back together after installing a hardtop. I have this metal piece and can’t see from my pictures exactly where it goes. These are the only holes that line up from what I can find, but wanted to confirm. Yea or nea?[quoted image]

That would be a YEA - Looking at this pic.

IMG_3882 (resized).JPGIMG_3882 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3680 3 years ago

You will need to remove the playfield from the cabinet to get at the diverter assembly.

The back board on the playfield needs to be removed.

Nice organization there.

#3682 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

has anyone hooked up a sub to their high speed? I picked up a polk psw50 at a garage sale for $5 bucks. Tried to hook it up yesterday and didn't get any sound. I need to test the speaker but wondering if anyone has done that to their high speed and how they hooked it up.

Is the power light on the PSW50 coming on when you plug it in?

Connect speaker level output straight to the lower cabinet speaker terminals.

IMG_0389 (resized).JPGIMG_0389 (resized).JPG
#3685 3 years ago
Quoted from bobkasprzyk:

Would someone take a photo of their high speed flipper mechanisms and post. I was doing a flipper maintenance and replacement and as I look at it it seems that the switches aren’t right. I bought the package from Marco pinball but it seems they provided the wrong switch styles -open vs closed. ( I am sure it was my error in purchase) And the new mechanisms don’t reach the switch!!
So I want to see what others have.
Thank you

Let me know if this helps...
R_Flipper_detail (resized).JPGR_Flipper_detail (resized).JPG

Upper_Flipper_detail (resized).JPGUpper_Flipper_detail (resized).JPG
#3687 3 years ago

I did switch over to newer style spring from the conical spring around the plunger to the spring that connects to the arm. You can take it a step further and switch to Parallel wound coils from Serial wound coils. There is a procedure for this as well in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/2#post-453690

#3691 3 years ago

Found a pic of OEM flipper solenoid before I changed over to newer style spring.
IMG_2455 (resized).JPGIMG_2455 (resized).JPG

#3692 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I could have a couple days ago but.....
[quoted image]

Any progress on getting ramp and diverter off?

#3694 3 years ago

Glad to be done with my #hs restore. The meth lab/paint booth is all gone now. Enjoying playing my #hs now.

Grrr, hate when packages are not left.

#3695 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

yes the power light comes on. I did have it hooked up to the right side and tried left on the input side. I just hooked it up to a stereo and it was quiet and crackling. might be the speaker. no wonder why it was 5 bucks.

I had a couple sub woofers for sale at a garage sale a while back, had zero interest in them. Was a bit shocked. I just kept them.

#3697 3 years ago

Brew,

My #HS also never goes to the left ramp unless I "escaped from the police" and you launch the other 2 balls to start Multi ball after both Hideouts each have a ball in them the ball from the right side kicks out as the ball I just launched goes into the right wire cage.

It may be normal, however I seem to remember before I restored my #HS I seem to remember the left hideout being used more than just for multi ball sequence.

Lets see what everyone else has to say about how their #HS work.

#3702 3 years ago

The diverter operates both arms at the same time. I think if 1 is not working neither would the other.

#3709 3 years ago

Been playing my recently fully restored High Speed. Several minor adjustments I have had to make, but nothing major.

However I have had 1 issue that I have not been able to resolve until today.

The Left outline kickback was launching balls into the air hitting the wire ball cage about 65% of the time. I thought it was the solenoid plunger alignment so I have been trying to make minor adjustments over the last couple weeks. Nothing I did fixed the problem.

Today I finally had enough. This needed to be fixed!

After fiddling with the solenoid some more I ran the ball up the outline by hand and noticed the playfield cutout for the wire switch would raise the ball just ever so slightly as I moved it up the outlane. This has to be it.

The ball sometimes lines up with the cutout and then catches the slight rise and launches ever so slightly as it travels back up the outline. I went in with 600 grit sandpaper and sanded down the rise.

IMG_0454 (resized).JPGIMG_0454 (resized).JPG

BINGO! That fixed it. Such a simple fix but so hard to detect.

Thought I would post this here to help anyone else that may have this problem or encounter it after a Playfield restore. This was a CPR playfield.

#3711 3 years ago

I do not know of any tutorial for the ramp assembly.

Best thing to do is take tons of pictures before, during, and more during!

I have lots of pics and can help if you get in a jam.

It is not as difficult as you may feel.

I did a complete play field swap. have never done a hardtop.

#3715 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I would have lowered the switch arm first before sanding and from the video it appears the plunger hits the ball too low. I would bend the bracket to raise the coil angle

Oh Believe me, I Thought it was plunger alignment as well. I adjusted the alignment up and down, side to side and the problem never went away. If you watch closely the ball launches at the end of the playfield switch cutout not before.

After all my changes to the alignment it never got better. I thought about moving the switch and changing the timing on when the ball was hit.

The strange part was the ball was only launching in the air about 65% of the time. It was not happening every time. That is what lead me to believe it was not the alignment. I discovered this was because if the ball went back up the lane and did not line up with the playfield switch cutout it would not launch into the air since it would miss the bump at the end of the cutout.

By slightly sanding the end of the playfield cutout to create a more gradual rise so the ball no longer jumps up.

This is why I posted this unusual issue. It took me a while to diagnose and thought others would benefit from knowing about this.

If there was not a Kickback in this lane this bump would not be an issue since the ball would never be shot back hitting the cutout bump.
It was not the playfield. It was from the clear coat buildup around the cutout. When you spray clear on a playfield it tends to "build" and gather around openings. This is what happened here. As soon as that "extra" clear coat was removed, so was the ball launch problem.

After sanding the bump just ever so slightly I have not had one air ball. The problem was the clear coat bump.

#3717 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Wow, I shocked that the clearcoat made that much of a difference. I could see the wireform switch being too high and it launching the ball. This is just my opinion on what I see in the video, the plunger is striking the ball at a downward angle causing that ball to launch into to the slot. Now you have the better angles and I hope you solved it and I don't run into this same issue on my restoration.

The Switch wire does not have enough resistance to launch the ball. The ball is just too heavy to be affected by the wire. Looking close at the slow motion the ball does not even get past the wire. As soon as the wire it presses the kickback solenoid fires.

Yea, this issue stumped me for a while. I messed with the solenoid bracket a bunch and it never got better. It was very frustrating. I inserted spacers below the bracket, checked and rechecked the alignment, you name it. Nothing changed. 65% airballs.

I then thought what changed to make this start doing this? The playfield is the only thing that is new. Every other part is the same. I moved the ball by hand up the lane and noticed quite a lift in the ball as it passed over the end of the playfield switch cutout. I looked closer and sure enough there was clear coat buildup. I checked the old play field and it did not do this. That is when I decided to lightly sand down the clear coat.

Like I said, it would not be a problem if there was no kickback here.

I find it hard to imagine I am the first to have this issue. Next time I do a restore with a kickback this will get extra attention from me before assembly.

#3719 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Solid find on your end in troubleshooting for a solution. I am sure I will have the same issue, I never get lucky on restorations.

Take a pinball and roll it up the playfield switch cutout and if it rises abruptly from the clear coat you may run into the same issue.

Much easier to take care of it before assembly.

#3722 3 years ago

If you’re doing a hard top it may not matter.

#3724 3 years ago

You are in luck my friend. I just happen to have one of those. You can also bend one from some wire from the Hardware store but I would be happy to send you this one.

PPS also has them. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MX-12-6468

Even have the right side. LOL

message me your address. $5 and I'll ship it off to you.

I am enjoying my CPR #HS restore.

IMG_0539 (resized).jpgIMG_0539 (resized).jpg

#3726 3 years ago

All Packaged up and ready to send. I sent a couple feet or fabric wire and it took about 2 weeks+ to arrive to Canada. Let me know when it arrives.

Be sure to leave a credit card size space between the rebound wire and the playfield when you install. But with 35 games I am sure you know that.

1 week later
#3733 3 years ago
Quoted from Abloch:

Greetings all of my new Pinside friends. This is my first post to the site AND my first visit to the High Speed club. I finally bought my first machine after being deprived of my avocation for too long. Thank you pandemic!
Being my first machine I figured I would buy one of my all time favorites. Top five. I jumped on craigslist and here was A beautiful High Speed, local and within my price range. Must have meant to be!
I look forward to all your help in maintaining my new game!
Andrew
[quoted image]

Welcome to the insanity @abloch! I just finished a FULL high end restore of my #HS. It is a great pin. Lots of fun to play. There is tons of knowledgable folks here to help with any questions.

Now, lets see how long it will take for you to acquire #2 pin! LOL

#3738 3 years ago

Not sure if you need the whole set. CPR sells a set for High Speed

2 weeks later
#3753 3 years ago

I guess it would be up to you. Is your pin all original? Are there any mods? If you are keeping it all 100% original then you should stick with original I imagine. In the end I don't think it is that big of a deal.

#3758 3 years ago

There are several restore threads you can go through on Pinside. Lots of good info.

#3760 3 years ago
Quoted from johninjax:

I'm looking to add lights under my star rollovers for HS. Anyone have suggestions? I'm installing new play field and now is the time to do it. Also I need 2 new blue hot dogs. I believe the heat of the bulbs melted them a little over time. I am willing to go with opaque hot dogs but would want to install blue LED flashers. I can't find #63 colored LED. Anyone have any leads?

Adding lights to the Star rollovers is very easy. I just completed my #hs full restore and did exactly that. I have included a picture for you to see. I also added lighting to the kickout. Just wire it into the existing GI wiring next to the rollovers.Roll-over_LED (resized).JPGRoll-over_LED (resized).JPG

I purchased a new CPR playfield for my restore so did not have to deal with inserts. However I believe you can find them. Try PBR. I know I have seen them for sale on one of the pinball sites.

#3762 3 years ago

I'm sure this has been hashed out a zillion times, but on my beacon if I position the wire juuuuuuuuuuuuuust right it'll work fine. If it moves, at all really, it stops turning. Is there any way to actually fix this motor, or is it something that I should just give in and replace? I had it working for a bit, but now it's back to not spinning. Driving me absolutely bonkers.

That sounds like a loose connection in a wire or connector. The wire you are moving, is it right next to the motor where you are moving it? If it is the wire going into the motor you may be out of luck as far as repairing it. If it is not right next to the motor you can cut out the part of the wire that is causing the issue.

Can you upload a picture of the area you are talking about.

1 week later
#3772 3 years ago

There is a thread that shows strange places you have seen balls stuck but I cannot find it. So I am posting this one here in the High Speed forum.

IMG_0814 (resized).jpgIMG_0814 (resized).jpg
#3774 3 years ago

I just had to replace Q43 on the switch matrix (Left hideout switches, all 3 pop bumpers, both Flipper switches, and the ball shooter switch). Not sure why it blew but all of a sudden it was not working. Easy fix really. All working great now.

Its a bummer you are having issues still with your High Speed. I would love to help you out. diagnosing that via thread messages is difficult. I replaced both ramp switches. The gap has to be very precise. too sensitive and it goes off with vibration, not sensitive enough and it will not have time to actuate the solenoid in time to send the ball down the first wire cage.

2 weeks later
#3779 3 years ago
Quoted from jk:

I’m putting back together my High Speed and rebuilding the slingshot, kicker arm and ball eject assemblies. I have four 2” length plungers and two 2.25” plungers. My question is which assemblies do the two longer 2.25” plungers belong to? The manual shows 2” plungers for the ball eject and kicker arm assemblies. So do the longer ones go on the 2 slingshots? Not sure if the manual is correct. Thanks

I do not have my game apart however I am guessing that the 2.25" longer plungers match up with the Hideout solenoids. They use different coils and it would be my guess they go to those coils. To launch the ball out of the hideout takes some good force.

GRUMPY may be able to chime in on this one. If I get time to measure my Hideout plungers I will let you know what I find out.

The Kickback solenoid is also a "900" however it is a completely different plunger so not much help there.

The manual does not depict the slingshot assembly for some reason. Only the Hideout Kicker arm and Eject assemblies. But shows the same plunger number. There are numbers errors in the High Speed manual so for this to be an error is possible. Must have put the new guy in charge of the High Speed documentation LOL.

IMG_0969 (resized).jpgIMG_0969 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3785 3 years ago
Quoted from LanceCT:

Hi there, just got a High Speed, my first machine ever. Everything works well but after two weeks, the kickback is totally dead, doesn't do anything. Everything else works, no other issues with the machine.
What should I do?
thank you so much for any advice you can give me, especially as a first time owner and newcomer to opening a machine
Lance

First of all, Welcome to the club.

High Speed is a classic pin.

Did the pinball game come with an instruction manual? If not I would HIGHLY recommend you get one. They are an invaluable source of information and will will cover the Test and Diagnosis procedures KSUWildcatFan was referring to. You can download a PDF copy of the manual here.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=high+speed&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1176

click on ENGLISH MANUAL just above the pictures

The Game Adjustment/Diagnosis switches are on the coin door near the hinge.

follow the instructions in the manual page 23.

Go through the test menus to test the "coil test" and the "Switch Edges" test.

Let us know what results you get from there.

#3787 3 years ago
Quoted from LanceCT:

Thank you for the advice
I checked the fuse and it doesn't appear to be the problem, that would have been an easy fix
So I printed out the manual and ran the solenoid test but I don't understand where to find the results, it went through a bunch of things and went it got to the kickback nothing happened, am I supposed to do something else at that point
thank you for the link to the manual and I am blown away at all the different tweaks I could make to the game
What am I missing with the solenoid test
thank you
Lance

Hi Lance,

The Coil test triggers the solenoid at the board level and bypasses any physical switches.

You should hear each solenoid fire as it cycles through all the solenoids. There are flashers on the test too, you will SEE them light. The Kicker is #14. If the solenoid is not firing when the test gets to the Kicker then there is a problem with wiring to the Solenoid, or a transistor that controls the solenoid.

Coil and solenoid are the same thing.

Since you said it did nothing when it got to the kicker test #14 there are a few more things you can check.

This coil has a relay in the circuit. See picture. With the game turned on there should be about 65 Volts DC at the coil. The coil is under the apron but you can get at the coil wire under the playfield. If you have a Volt Meter measure the voltage at the relay terminal blue wire. see picture.
IMG_1052 (resized).JPGIMG_1052 (resized).JPG

#3789 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Did the wire fall off the coil?

That would be a nice easy fix.

#3792 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you hear the relay clicking during the coil test?

Grumpy to the Rescue! Grumpy knows his shit! Especially about High Speed.

#3800 3 years ago

Hey Grumpy. I tried finding this relay and resistor/diode set on the High Speed Instruction Manual schematics. I found Q7 but could not locate where this Kickback wiring diagram is. Is it depicted anywhere?

#3802 3 years ago

Ok, perfect. Thanks

Is the design theory to take the load of the 65VDC coils off the Transistor and put it through a relay?

#3806 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You see where the mistake is in the diagram for this circuit.

Is it the missing 150uF capacitor in the ground and 34V brown wire?

#3810 3 years ago
Quoted from LanceCT:

New problem, not registering that the ball is done with it's turn, so no new ball is coming out. I don't see any loose wires, thank you for any help, didn't think I would be reaching out so soon after fixing the other problems last night

Do a switch edge test on the trough switch.

#3815 3 years ago
Quoted from LanceCT:

Now the test is flashing continuously Right trough, center trough, left trough with corresponding numbers

There are 2 different switch tests:

SWITCH LEVELS

and

SWITCH EDGES

Switch levels signal any switch that is closed So the 3 switches you mentioned should be shown as long as you have 3 balls installed

The test you want is EDGES. That test will chime each time a switch id depressed or released.

Use the EDGES test and cycle any switch to make sure it is registering.

1 week later
#3838 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Switch matrix question! #19 Outhole Switch does not register, even after putting in a new switch, making sure the diode is correct direction, etc. It looks like the tilt is in this same column so I replaced the diode. Still not registering anything on the outhole switch though. All other switches are registering in the column.

#19 is Green Target - upper left stoplight target bank.

#9 is the Outhole

Check any molex connectors wires, etc. Check Column 2 switches.

2 weeks later
#3860 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

Couple more things have come up that might or might not be associated with these problems.
I did not use the game for about a month and when I started up a game. All 3 of the Pop Bumpers would not fire. The ball would hit the bumpers but nothing would happen. After playing the game for a couple balls - All of the bumpers started working and worked the rest of the game. Any idea what would cause all 3 Pop Bumpers to not work?

I would start with checking power to the pop bumpers. That is the common with all 3 pop bumpers. That power daisy chains to other solenoids and flashers. Were the pop bumpers the only affected areas? Could be a bad connection in a Molex (if Molex connectors have been installed) or solder connection.

#3866 3 years ago

While I am at it and abusing your knowledge of my HS game - I have this "thing" under my Playfield. It is located next to the Coil for the upper right flipper. It appears to have been added at some point since it has the heat shrink around the wires. it is connected to the coil for the flipper and is covered in this white rubbery substance that I assume holds it in place. I have never had a problem with this right upper flipper so I am reluctant to touch it. Does anyone know what this is and does it look like it is correct? Thanks.

That is a capacitor to eliminate the spark created at the switch contacts. The capacitor absorbs the energy from the coil to reduce spark so the switches last longer.

Also Someone has upgraded the solenoids on your #hs. OEM are series coils (FL23/600-30/2600) and this one is a parallel wound coil (FL-11630). With the new coil is also installed a capacitor. So yes that is suppose to be there. Not the cleanest install but effective.

Are the lower playfield flippers the same as the upper one in your picture?

Go to this thread to read more about upgrading coils to Parallel.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/3#post-636726

And as for the pop bumpers. In this photo of the underside of the Playfield - Can someone point out to me which is the power wire that might be having trouble that connects all the pop bumpers together. Thanks.
[quoted image]

The power lead to the coils should be RED with WHITE stripe. This wire is ALWAYS powered when the game is on. The other wire is the "trigger" wire. It is grounded through the CPU board when a playfield switch is closed. In this case the bumper skirt switch.

If you have a DMM and attach the black lead to the cabinet ground strap on the inside of the cabinet. Attach the red lead to the Red/White stripe wire. Set the DMM to DC. You should read about 37 volts.

Another Note: The DIODE on the coil should be positioned with the white band closest to the Red/White stripe wire.

Thanks for the pictures, that helps a lot.

#3869 3 years ago

Is there a chance that the bumper problem is similar to the sound problem and one of those wires from the 14-15 pin connector on the Power Supply Board goes to the bumpers. Maybe the pins are loose on the Power Supply Board and that is causing a problem with the bumpers.

Definitely, if there is one loose head pin solder I am sure there are more. You can use a magnifying glass to see the cracked solder. I would definitely remove the power supply board and re-solder ALL the head pins. That is a very common issue! There is lots of good info on this on Pinside.

You will want to look at replacing all the capacitors on the Power Supply. There are kits that come with all the parts to do a rebuild of the Power Supply.

Lower flippers have the same coils as the upper flipper and it looks like whoever made the change also added those capacitors to the lower flipper coils as well. I assume this is ok.[quoted image]

Yes, This is a good upgrade. reduces the need to replace switches.

For the bumpers - Is there something or some wire that would make all 3 of the bumpers go dead at the same time and then restart at the same time. Seems to me like there must be a wire that goes to one of the bumpers and then is passed along to the other two bumpers. Or is it set up so that when one bumper fires they all fire? Going to each bumper coil there are 2 red wires - each with white stripe - on one connector and then a white wire - with an orange, green, yellow stripe - on the other connector. The diodes have a grey band which is closest to the red wire connector.
[quoted image]

Since the power is the common to many of your playfield solenoids I would suspect this as a first area to investigate. A loose connection can cause lots of odd behavior.

There are several solenoids (Left Outland Kickback, both hideout solenoids) with a Violet/Yellow wire that should be about 65volts +-

#3872 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Outhole Switch is driving me bonkers. I check continuity and the switch registers open/closed, but during the switch test it will not register. Put in a new switch and diode, same result. I checked continuity to the switches before and after it, and there is continuity. Checked diode polarity and it is correct. All other switches work during the switch test.

Sounds like you have checked everything. Since all the other switches work in the switch matrix and you checked continuity between switches I am at a loss as to what to check next.

Which switch is downline from the Outhole switch daisy-chain?

#3878 3 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Just joined today!
[quoted image]

Congrats, Looks like you found a nice one!

#3895 3 years ago

Grumpy Knows his shit!

#3913 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Ok so how do you get at those back switches

If you have an OEM ramp with the clear cover you will need to remove that cover to easily access the switches with a ball.

First do an easy check of the molex connector for the ramp. It is located far back under the playfield. make sure it is connected together.

#3920 3 years ago

Pulling the ramp is the only way I know to adjust the switches. Since they need precise adjustment you need to have unobstructed access to them.

Did you hook up a multi meter to the problem switch when the ramp was out to see if it is registering good without any resistance?

2 weeks later
#3969 3 years ago

My High Speed has been running pretty good lately. The only problem is the top playfield flashers were not working. Put in all new bulbs - Still not working. Went under the playfield and found these 2 resistors? under the ramp entrance. The resistor on the left had its top connection loose so I soldered it back on. Can not start game - kids sleeping. Does this picture look right and could this fix my flashers problem? Thanks.
[quoted image]

Yes, That is the resistor set for the upper playfield flasher bulbs. Bulbs are in series so if one goes out neither will work. You replaced both so that possibility should be eliminated.

#3988 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Thank You Pinflip and Vec-tor! Will put in an order tonight.
Another question-For anyone illuminating the star roll overs, saucer, and flipper buttons-which lamp sockets are you using? I see many different types and not sure what style I should get. Diodes or no diodes? Planning on using LEDS.

Here is how I did the Stars and Saucer.

IMG_9769 (resized).JPGIMG_9769 (resized).JPGPF_Bottom_18Mar (resized).jpgPF_Bottom_18Mar (resized).jpgRoll-over_LED (resized).JPGRoll-over_LED (resized).JPG
#3992 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Those look good.
What are they and where did you get them? I assume they are white/clear?
And your game looks disgustingly clean!
Found the bulbs and sockets. Just deciding if I should get red or white....

I think I installed white but red would work as well. More of personal choice

#4005 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Hoping someone in the club can help. I'm swapping out a playfield and found this wire nut and an associated wire. Believing it's a flasher but not finding any pics. Does anyone know or can verify?
Or is it a wire break that was pulled through the playfield and through a hole in the plastic? That seems pretty unlikely.
[quoted image]

Yes a flasher socket goes there.

PG_TopLeft (resized).JPGPG_TopLeft (resized).JPG
1 month later
#4095 3 years ago

One of those Black wires goes to the Kickback solenoid relay. See if there is a brown wire on your relay.

There seemed to be a lot of wire substitution at Williams. While restoring my HS I ran across at least 5 instances where wire color was substituted.

1 week later
#4109 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

So had something weird over the weekend. Left side of back box gi was cutting in and out. Probably cold solder joint on the chain?

There are 2 circuits for the Lights on the back panel. Most likely its a bad wire or a bad connection in the 6 pin molex connector. Check the Green and White/Green wires.

#4116 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

Hey everyone, I just picked up a HS from a local guy who has had it in his house for 20 years. Man was this thing neglected. They thought it was broken but had never replaced the batteries.... Bought it for a cool $725 not knowing if it played. Got it home and cleaned up and everything but the player 4 display worked. Replaced all the flipper hardware and eject mech on the back, got lucky and a buddy had a display. Ordered a new piece of glass today as the old one looks like it got hit by a weed eater. I think after the LED upgrade I will have about $1250 in it so I think I came out ahead. Have a few chips in the cabinet to fill and going to let my daughter do some touch up paint. The left front corner of the cabinet split during the move so had to glue it back and upgraded the hardware for the legs. Here are a few pics after I cleaned her up. Anything I should take a look at, I have started reading through this forum and have made it to about the 15th page. There is a lot of info in this..... Thanks for any input.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats. Great find. There are some must do items with System 11.

First is to install fuses to protect the Bridge Rectifiers in the back box. There are a couple ways to do this. The least expensive is to install 2 fuses inline. See this post here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/82#post-6012108
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/73#post-5675677

The other way is: (this also eliminates the bulky Capacitor in the back box.
https://home.kpn.nl/p.koch3/bridge_board.htm

replace the capacitors on your Power Supply

resolder head pins on all the boards in the backbox

remove the batteries and holder and replace with NVRAM to prevent battery acid damage.

1 week later
#4200 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Anyone have a left side outlane plastic - mine is cracked.
Maybe someone bought the whole plastic kit and can sell me just this piece?
I don't need the metal piece just the plastic.
[quoted image]

I probably have that piece. I did replace my whole set. I am out of town until Next sunday but will check when I get home.

#4234 3 years ago

That is a good question. Mine is similar. It does not come to a complete stop but it does not continue at its ramp speed. I believe it may be a function of how it hits the spinner. If it hits the middle of the spinner it will slow down considerably. If the ball is on the playfield as it passes through the spinner is should not slow a lot.

And Congrats on the acquisition! Very fun game! And a classic.

#4262 3 years ago

Rather ingenious I kinda thought. A bit caveman but it worked I suppose. I actually had a good Laugh when I was that!

#4264 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yeah the gold screw isn't really necessary.

LOL other than to hold the wire tie that holds the wires.

I love the + - red and black felt tip labeling. And whoever did it had to sand down the pegs to the correct size. A lot of work was put into this.

...AND... did not even cut the wire tie end but neatly wrapped it around. JUST LOL

#4297 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Has anyone here done a CPR playfield swap on a High Speed? Looking at my new PF it does not have any registration marks to place the pivot point hardware. It seems a bit odd for such an important piece that has to be in the right place.

I finished a complete #HS restore a few months ago. I had to replace my cabinet as well.

This was my first full restore and CPR playfield swap. Placing the pivots on the PF was not an easy task. I did not have my cabinet when I started the PF swap. The best time to install the pivots is when there are no mechanics on the playfield.

I measured and remeasured many times before finally drilling pilot holes and mounting the pivots. It came out perfect and I was very happy with the results. When lowering the playfield the hangers line up without any extra force to get it aligned.

Just make sure you measure precisely from the old playfield and transfer those measurements to the new one.

IMPORTANT: If yo are measuring from the edge of the new playfield to the hinge point be sure you match up your old PF to the new PF. ANY difference will make your measurements off. Pay particular attention to the shooter lane area. My new CPR playfield was a little different from my old one.

#4299 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I planned to it almost first once the old one gets pulled out. Just to check, when you said edge, you meant from the side or from the bottom end?

Sorry, I was not very specific.

The cutout on my CPR shooter lane was different than the original PF. Pay close attention to the shooter lane area if you use a tape measure from the end of the playfield (on the shooter side) to where you will be mounting the hinge.

Line up both playfields together and note any difference in the shooter lane areas.

You can measure from either end of the playfield to place the hinge bracket. If the CPR playfield is longer or shorter than the OEM PF you will need to be very careful with your measurements.

1 month later
#4509 3 years ago
Quoted from daly124:

Looking for this ball deflector. Part number is 01-8217. Anyone have one for sale?
[quoted image]

I do. Make me an offer...

01-821701-8217

4 weeks later
#4581 2 years ago

As RCA1 stated above. Diagnose your current problem before you do anything. It could be a broken wire, a switch that should have been replaced years ago, Flipper switches, EOS switches. (Start with looking at your switches, You can bypass your COIL EOS switch by shorting it out with a jumper wire with alligator clips) If you are not sure what to do, search the forums on how to bypass your EOS switch. CAUTION: just do not hold your flipper activated for more than a few seconds as you are bypassing an important function of your coil protection. But this will tell you if your EOS switches are bad, A common problem with Series coil flipper setup.

On that note: I highly recommend switching over to the Parallel coils. (it will take a hit on your pocket book but if you intend on keeping your #HS it is so worth it) This will make your switches last 20X longer. Go to the link below for the info:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/2#post-453690

1 week later
#4593 2 years ago

As Lovef2k said above.

Here are pics of the areas to look at.

I would start with the fuse that has the White/Green wire. Just replace it if you do not have a way to test it.

IMG_2594 (resized).JPGIMG_2594 (resized).JPG

Check the Green and White/Green wire on the back of the light board.

IMG_2590 (resized).JPGIMG_2590 (resized).JPG

Check this connector on your Power supply 3J8

IMG_2592 (resized).JPGIMG_2592 (resized).JPG

#4595 2 years ago

yes, that is a lot of heat build up. That is called an IDC connector. Factory used them due to quickness of assembly, no crimping needed. However as time wears on they will become worn out and fail due to loose connection. Best thing to do is replace the whole connector with:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0009508091/172020

Trifucon crimp connector:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0008520113/172057

#4597 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Thank You! Just put an order in for a bunch of the 9 pin connectors. Think I counted 18 in there so I guess I can start replacing them all over time.

Yes, Best to replace them all. You will need the crimper tool as well. As you can see in the picture I need to do mine as well.

I have replaced a couple that were bad but need to get the rest done. There are several pins that have 2 wires running to 1 connector. You cannot crimp both in the same connector. You will need to get creative. There are several thread posts that address this issue.

#4600 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

They work with a standard crimper no?

No, you need a molex crimp tool. There are many different kinds, Here is a basic one from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Harness-Crimping-Computer-Automotive/dp/B01M1YK5FM/ref=sr_1_3_sspa

#4602 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Of course. I own 5 crimpers and can't find #5. None of them are molex crimpers. Thought my spark plug wire crimpers would work as they have changeable jaws, but noth8ng for molex. Ordered one from Amazon.

Yea, it is amazing how many different crimper tools you accumulate over the years when you dabble in electronics.

#4605 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Wow, Digikey is in no damn hurry to ship my order.

is it not shipped yet? they have shipped relatively fast with my past orders.

#4632 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That resistor is fried, I would replace that diode with it. The colors are orange, green, brown and gold. From what I found online, I'm thinking this is a 350 ohm resistor +/- 5%. I'm guess at least a 3 watt heat rating? Can someone concur?

That looks about right. Here is a pic from my High Speed - The green band is a bit faded. I would replace both sides, right and left kicker resistor, Diode and Cap while you are there.

IMG_2634 (resized).JPGIMG_2634 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#4653 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm sure this will take a while. The nice thing is that I have a NOS PF and the dimpling looks to be spot on. I have been thinking of getting an ultra sonic cleaner and dunking the harness in for a bath. My worry is that the high frequency of the vibrations may do damage to the diodes. I am planning to change the switch diodes but not all of those diodes on the lamps.

Put it through a cycle in your dish washer. Works Great!

#4656 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I tried that years back with EBD but the switches turned black. Not sure why, maybe the detergent? Should I not use detergent this time?

Try it without detergent. The hot water should do just fine to clean the dirt off the harness.

#4661 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Nice, I read about the fires these games have caused and was also wondering about the fix. It looks like this board will fix both at once. And I almost spent 40 bucks for a new cap! What is his home page where I can see prices?
Also what's with the WMS parts manual for Sys11 games, no part numbers or diagram for the sling shots, nor in the HS manual. Can someone please post the part numbers for the slings?

Here is a link to the board:

http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/ProductPages/BridgeBoard.html

what part of the Sling shot are you looking for? Coil, Arm, Switches, Rubber?

1 month later
#4675 2 years ago

Welcome, HS is a fun pin.

1 week later
#4687 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

I’m redoing the sides of the topper side art and I need a dimension of the circular Williams logo as mine was completely gone. Can someone give me a measurement of the diameter of the yellow portion edge to edge?
[quoted image]

6" exactly outside edge to outside edge.

#4692 2 years ago

That is too bad. Cannot imagine why someone would do that?

#4695 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm working on 2 HS at the moment. CPR did the plastics years back and I bought a set then. I just noticed the green for the trees is very light compared to originals. Have they corrected this later on? Also does anyone know the rivet size for the flasher lenses? I see they added a back up washer.

I also bought plastics from CPR around Nov 2019. The CPR plastics I got were brighter and greener (less faded).

I am not sure of the rivet size. I believe I used 1/8 X 1/4

I would highly recommend this upgrade to the rear flashers:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restoration-in-low-speed-jan-2020/page/3#post-5765251

#4699 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Your game is frigin sweet. I need that tool, please tell me where to get it. I have benchtop wire bending tools but not this. It's funny though, tonight I thought of doing the same exact thing with the upper left plastic and flasher setup. Did you leave the right upper flasher uncovered with standard lamp?
For the ball gate on the lower right where ball exits the shooter lane, I had to remove mine in order to put it in the tumbler and re-grain the ball guides. I went by the chart on Hanson's page to figure the length of the rivet. So length= work piece thickness + clinch allowance. Came out to .187 which is exactly 3/16 inch. So I used that size which was 1/8 diameter, 7/32 head dia. and 3/16 length. I went with a stainless rivet and used a hand squeezer but the rivets are only snug and the gate can to moved with a little force. I'm not worried about it, I think it will hold up. I also turned the rivets around so that the heads face player. I have no clue why they reversed them, it looked stupid to me. Final touch was to polish the rivets with the dremel wheel.
Temporarily mounted the candy red powder coat rails to see what it looks like. Added Pin Chroma 8/32 locknuts in red to match. I'm digging the red silicone post sleeves too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks, I am very pleases with how my #HS turned out.

I think you are talking about the wire bending tool. I believe I got it on amazon.

I did not put a cover on the top right flasher. Just a little too tight of a space. You cannot see it anyways.

Love the red nuts and the wire look great!!!

#4706 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

What did you use to cut the flasher lens hole in the plastic? I may just practice on the old one first.

I thought I had pics to document how larger holes are made in plastics for the domes.

You take the plastic and screw it down onto a piece of wood using the existing holes.

use a forstner bit to drill the larger hole in the plastic. The forstner bid has a center drill tip to line up the drill bit.

Start a center hole with the forstner bit and drill slowly through the plastic.

If I find the pics I took I will post them but I have not been able to locate them. Somewhere on HEP I have seen he documented how it is done.

It is not difficult just takes time, go slow and be sure you are centered when drilling the plastic.

Definitely practice on your old plastic first to get the feel. That is what I did.

EDIT:

Took a little searching but found a post where HEP did this. It is on a The Addams Family but you will get the idea.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/142#post-5687590

#4722 2 years ago

Our resident High Speed expert, GRUMPY answered this question on the previous page... Here is the link

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/94#post-6364686

63 are what Williams used originally in the game.

#4724 2 years ago

FLEX LED's are good. If you go to LED you will need to modify your resisters.

1 week later
#4744 2 years ago

Looks MUCH better. Nice Job!

1 week later
#4759 2 years ago

I believe the -XX specifies different kinds of coil sleeves. There is no difference in the coil itself.

1 week later
#4776 2 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

This site should be helpful:
http://www.theteardown.com/gallery/categories.php
If there’s anything you need that’s not in there just holler.

Cool site. Never seen that before.

#4789 2 years ago

My wire also has a bend in it. Not sure if this is part of the problem but may want to put a slight bend in.

PF_Bumpers_view (resized).JPGPF_Bumpers_view (resized).JPG

#4798 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Finally started my HS restoration. Backbox trial#1 with MDF was a no go, but learned what not to do for #2. Will drill pilot holes for the forstner bits and use a scrap board to prevent the tear outs. I will also use my router as well. Trial and error, gotta love it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

YES, definitely need a back board to prevent the tear-thru! Go very slow as well when you get close to the end of the hole.

#4801 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Trial #2 came out 99% better. A tip for anyone doing this. Clean out your drill bits between holes. I found out thru practice, this may cause tear out as well. I was also lifting the drill up and down to remove the excess when drilling. Hope this helps the next person. It was a fun project. Big thanks to #Pin-Pilot for sending me the spare backboard to use as a template. I am gonna hang onto it until the next person needs it.

Looks Great. When I wired my board, I did a little re-routing. Made it a little cleaner than factory and eliminated an extra brown/white wire jumper.

Here is a pic of the routing I did. There are 2 circuits Brown & White/Brown and Green & White/Green. Each circuit has 19 lights on it. I kept that the same. What I eliminated was the extra Brown & White/Brown jumper on the top left of the light board.

GI_braid_New (resized).JPGGI_braid_New (resized).JPG

#4804 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Id like to change my playfield flashers to LEDs. I know there is a capacitor or something similar i need to remove for esch flasher (or thats what ive read). Could someone please post pics of this mod and talk to me like i have to clue what im doing lol.

There is a lot of info on this procedure. Search "warming" in this thread.

Essentially what you need to do is remove the ceramic "Warming" resistor (not a capacitor) from the circuit. Many just unsolder or cut one end of the resistor in case the next owner wants to go back to incandescent. Many of the flashers are "paired" 2 to a resistor.

The warming resistor supplies a small current to the incandescent bulb so it fires bright with full voltage is supplied. Makes the flashers flash brighter and crisper.

#4807 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

What kind of stapler did you use to attach the wires? I tried looking online for a pneumatic stapler but all I find are crown staplers which I thought won't use staples that small.

It's a long nose 1/4 crown upholstery stapler.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGLRT88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00

I ordered a different one first but it needed 70PSI to operate and that was too much pressure and would almost cut the wire I was stapling down. If I dialed down the pressure the stapler would not cycle to the next staple.

#4813 2 years ago

OK...
I love my HS... I will likely keep it a very loooong time.
The playfield is rough.
I know some prefer the CPR swap and other say to do a Hardtop.
I'm leaning towards a Hardtop for durability and longevity... plus a savings of $500+...
What is the thoughts of everyone. I know they both will probably require a ton of work that I will be on here getting advice from the smart kids in class.

There are definitely 2 camps here.

Personally the hardtop option to me is a patch.

CPR playfield is closer to original and just as durable especially in a Home environment. The Hardtop requires some extra work with the star roll over's

The CPR will take more work to do. The Hardtop takes quite a bit of prep as well.

I would not buy a pin that had a hardtop on it. Or would replace it with a new playfield if available.

If your playfield is warped or has any problems they will still be there with a Hardtop install

CPR Currently has Highspeed playfields for $849.00

#4815 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Oh right, also a Hardtop is $325.00 and cheaper to ship than a playfield.

True, That was mentioned in a previous post so I did not bring it up again.

#4818 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Those playfields became available about 3 weeks after my 2nd coat of clear on my original. I am very happy with it but i would go with the CPR.

My original was trashed. Could have spent a lot of time getting it close to good but sometimes it is just best to start fresh with a Playfield.

2 weeks later
#4872 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Almost done my swap. This is number 10 for me and so far the most complicated. Just waiting for Cliffy flipper return guides that I just found out about. Notice far right spinner is black. These are NOS, IDK where the black came from but I installed it anyway.
Thanks to Freeplay40 for the red ramp option.
Thanks to @Robtune for the traffic light mod.
Thanks to Comet for the non-ghosting LED option.
Thanks for PBR for having parts for the ramp diverter and other needed parts.
Thanks to PBL for the Britecaps and other parts needed.
Thanks to Mark Klein for selling the NOS pf and plastics to me.
Thanks to annex (Andrew Parent) for beautiful clear coat job.
Thanks to PinPilot for sharing his upper flasher mod.
And thanks to everyone else on this thread for answering my questions.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great. Keep the pics coming!

#4885 2 years ago

Let me know if this helps. I have some more detailed pics as well

PF_Full_prog2 (resized).JPGPF_Full_prog2 (resized).JPG

PF_L_Hideout_Close (resized).JPGPF_L_Hideout_Close (resized).JPGPF_R_Hideout_flipper (resized).JPGPF_R_Hideout_flipper (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#4915 2 years ago

That leaf switch is for scoring points. It should be "OPEN" while the sling is at rest and closes to score when the sling is activated. There should also be a diode on it. Here is a pic of my restore (you may need to zoom in a little). There should be a piece of fish tape to prevent metal to metal contact with the sling arm assembly.

Let me know if this clears up your issue.

Congrats getting your paws on a High Speed
IMG_4852 (resized).JPGIMG_4852 (resized).JPG

#4917 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Yes, thank you and it is as I suspected. The kicker arm I have is wrong, plus it looks wrong in the parts section in the manual. It shows it as part number A-5652-1 (page 37). the pin that connects to the plunger is too short (the 1 that activates the scoring leaf). Even this part on Marco looks wrong. Does anyone have the correct part number?
[quoted image]

I believe this may be the correct one. B-9463 (A little pricey)

I think the other is for the Hideouts.

Here is Action Pinball but it is out of stock... http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=A-7986

1 week later
#4928 2 years ago

Might need a little more info to determine what is going on. Have you looked closely at your boards in the head? see if any component has fried?

When you turn on the pin does everything turn on normally? GI lighting, etc?

1 week later
#4936 2 years ago

That is pretty cool, A lot better than the standard boring posts.

2 weeks later
#4957 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Anybody know what this hook up is for? I can see where it would be needed?
[quoted image]

That is the plug for your ramp switches. The wires should come through slot in the playfield you can see next to the backboard.

#4965 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I figured that one out. Mostly together now. Anyone know where this piece of wireform goes? It's from around the ramp but idk where exactly.
Basically just the tamp to work on now.
Already fired it up and did a switch test. A few tweaks but all good.

Ah, that guide wire stumps a lot. I answered this question earlier in the thread but it is easier for me to include the answer in this post. Here is a pic where it goes. It attaches to the ramp as well. I actually made a different guide wire that does not attach to the ramp since I have the ramp from @freeplay40. Here is the pic of the stock wire placing.

IMG_3882 (resized).JPGIMG_3882 (resized).JPG
#4967 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'm missing some screw so my ramp and corresponding frames are just sitting in there loose but it's obviously in the final stages now.
I also have the Freeplay40 ramp. Are you suggesting I leave the wire out?
[quoted image]

Looking good!

I made a different guide because I did not want it to attach it to the new ramp. You could probably get by without putting it in for home use. There is a chance a ball can hop under the ramp in the back.

I believe the screws you are referring to are the 2 machine screws just under the diverter arms. I believe they are just #6/32X1/4" (might be #8)

IMG_5421 (resized).PNGIMG_5421 (resized).PNG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
267 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Pin-Pilot. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-Pilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over?tu=Pin-Pilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.