(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,251 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240322_224012722 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1871 Lane change and EOS positioning. Posted by GRUMPY (6 years ago)

Post #2703 Original flipper wiring photos. Posted by Pin-Pilot (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeVarney.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2483 5 years ago

Greetings! New High Speed owner. I posted this question in the Tech forum, but I understand this thread is the place to go for High Speed questions.

We unfortunately had to remove the Head in order to get the machine down to my basement. Everything went swimmingly, EXCEPT in the process of getting everything set, the yellow wires soldered on the lower right corner of the Power Board snapped off. They were just severely weakened stranded wire. I have no issues resoldering them, I just wanted to verify the proper order of the wires.

The drawing in the manual makes it look like that pins 1->4 of connector 40 go: upper-left, lower left, lower right, upper right onto that corner of the power board. is that correct? Can someone with this pin give it a quick inspection to verify? I took tons of photos prior to the disassembly/reassembly, but unfortunately none of them clearly show the wire order.

Another schematic later on in the manual seems to indicate that this area of the Power Board is for "General Illumination". Based on that, I should be able to temporarily leave those wire off just to test the general function of the game (to verify proper reassembly), correct?

Cheers.

-- M

IMG_0293 (resized).jpgIMG_0293 (resized).jpg
#2485 5 years ago

Great! Worked fine upon the resoldering. Thanks for the sanity check.

#2486 5 years ago

Followup question.

When I power on the machine, I get the "Adjust Failure" / "Factory Setting" error (depending on if the coin door is open or closed. I've replaced the batteries, etc. When the machine does this the buttons in the coin door don't allow me do go into the menus - - they don't do anything. Eventually, after fiddling (removing and reseating batteries, etc), the pin will suddenly boot and allow us to play. When we power off though, it goes back into those errors at next power on.

Common opinion seems to be that this is normally a bad/dead battery. But I've replaced them with brand new ones. There's no damage from past battery acid on the board, and no corrosion on the terminals in the battery sockets.

What should be the next thing I look at?

#2493 5 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Have you checked the battery holder itself? It probably needs to be replaced. Buy a remote holder or just use NVRam.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

I would check for voltage on both sides of D-2 with the power off.

Thank you muchly, gentlemen. It looks like a bad connection between the battery holder and the board. If I wiggle it I'm able to then use as normal. I'll schedule one of the options - relocating the battery holder or the NVRAM chip.

Are people happy with the NVRAM without using any batteries?

- M

2 months later
#2529 4 years ago

I have a rather unusual "quirk" with my High Speed I'd like to get an opinion on.

Everything functions great except after you shoot the ramp to "Escape". Ordinarily when you shoot the second ball it'll go up the ramp and then when it's registered in one of the lock positions, the game will then put the 3rd ball out for the shooter. My game, however, puts that third ball out for the plunger even if the 2nd ball is still sitting there unplunged.

This is the only time anything is unusual with that entire area; for example, the tire screeching noise doesn't play before the plunge (as if that switch at the plunger wasn't functioning right). The only issue is that it's putting the 3rd ball out before the 2nd has been plunged.

The only thing I can think of is the switches under the playfield that register either the 2nd or 3rd balls in "storage" are faulty? And that causes the 3rd ball to be served early? Is that the best possibility?

#2531 4 years ago

Yeah, my shooter switch originally would play the tire squeal even if I hadn't plunged the ball yet; I've got that working well now. So I suspect it's a trough switch. The unusual thing is it doesn't manifest itself anytime else during game play.

#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Definitely check the trough switches are working correctly and the shooter lane.

My initial inspection showed everything was ok. However the issue persisted.

Continuing to look into it, I eventually found the issue.

The switch detecting the 3rd ball had its wire set so that when the ball was on it the wire was getting caught on a screw on the switch. So when the ball advanced the switch was being kept engaged. A little creative wire bending with needle nose pliers took care of it!

#2539 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Setting up the exact circumstances can be more difficult than it would seem.

Definitely, this was the case here. Lifting the playfield shifted the ball in the channel which then shifted the positioning of the wire off the screw. All my electrical tests were OK; I just happened to lift the playfield at one point and the ball didn't shift, and I saw it right away.

Now that all the really annoying issues with my HS are done, I can now devote time to a non-critical one - - the beacon light. I'd swear I'm not getting the correct voltage up there thru the relay. But I want to do legit voltage readings before I post specifics here.

1 week later
#2571 4 years ago

Any quick ideas? My topper red light works, but if it's running too long the 1A fuse will eventually blow. I assumed the motor was old and gummed up (I could even hear that sucker grinding!) so I replaced EVERYTHING. The mount, the reflector, new bulb, new motor, everything. Initially thought it was working but it blew again yesterday while I was having trouble escaping. There's nothing else on that side of the relay's circuit. What should I look at next? Should I plan on replacing that big relay that powers the circuit?

-- M

1 week later
#2594 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Are you using a slow blow fuse? The lamp bulb can be partly shorted and draw excessive current. The relay won't cause this. The new motor may be a larger wattage then the original one, if so then move up to a 2 amp fuse.

Just a followup regarding my topper red light continually blowing its fuse after "brief" use. I started using a 1.5A slow blow instead of the 1A slow blow (I used a 1A originally because there's a sticker in my cabinet saying so). I haven't had the fuse blow in the last week, and I've been enjoying my now fully functional machine!

Thanks for the confirmation that a larger fuse was OK to use.

-- M

1 month later
#2665 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

The stock beacon also blows the 1A fuse. I fitted a 2A fuse (I think grumpy recommended it) and it has been fine since.

When I was blowing my 1A beacon fuse all the time I put a 1.5A fuse in and haven't had a problem since. I was afraid to go to 2A.

6 months later
#3005 4 years ago

I'd be interested in the answer to #2 as well. I already have all LEDs and you can hear the change in background him when the lights cycle, especially in attract mode.

7 months later
#3841 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Thats not the factory battery holder, which means the batteries likely leaked twice on that MPU during its life

You can see the prior discoloration on U42 and U43.

#3842 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I am dialing in my game and it has been a while since i played. Can someone tell me the ball locking and eject sequence for multi ball.
I thougt it was LH hideout, RH hideout and when you shot the ball from the shooter lane the RH ball ejected before the third ball came up the ramp.
TIA Cliff

The other poster is correct. The first ball ejects when the third ball hits the switch at the top of the ramp, or hits any switch on the playfield (if you missed the ramp for some reason on the plunge).

3 months later
#4099 3 years ago

I posted a separate thread about flipper coils.... In case anyone missed it but monitors this thread, I'd appreciate input. I'm looking to replace a flipper coil, but my High Speed is using 3 different coils.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-flipper-coils

Thanks...

-- M

#4101 3 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Manual calls for FL23/600-30/2600 for all 3. Replacement from Marco website is SFL-23-600/30-2600. Not sure the significance of the dashes vs slashes. Probably none.

That's probably more my data entry than anything else.

But that leads to a follow-up question. I have a SFL-23-600/30-2600 coil. But that coil has the one diode on it, while the drawings in the manual have 2. Is that significant? The wire hookups look to be the same based on a prior pinside post about parallel and serial coils.

Thanks.

-- M

#4103 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I didn't see where the manual showed 2 diodes. But I can tell you for certain it only needs one.

Yes, the manual only shows one diode in the drawing. I'm more just confused because of my diverse collection of coils in my machine. . Two of my 3 coils have 2 diodes.

The conversation has picked up in that other thread, so we can discuss over there.

-- M

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 72.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeVarney.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over?tu=MikeVarney and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.