(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 126.
#4901 2 years ago

I went ahead and cleaned the contacts again with a business card and rubbing alcohol. Then realized that the leaf arms on the right spinner seemed to be out of adjustment so I attempted to bend them a little closer together and that seemed to help my DMM continuity test but the game is still giving me an error.

#4902 2 years ago

Part needed. While prepping the PF for hardtop, I broke this micro switch actuator arm. It's not removable so I need the mounting plate as well. Either side will work, bot the same. Thanks in advance!

P9260032 (resized).JPGP9260032 (resized).JPGP9260033 (resized).JPGP9260033 (resized).JPGP9260034 (resized).JPGP9260034 (resized).JPG
#4903 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I have to hold the contacts closed for a quick second before the meter will beep. If I quickly pulse the switch, I get sporadic beeps like it isn't registering all of the contacts.

Sounds like it's still a bit dirty. Try cleaning it again. If that doesn't work, the contacts may be shot to the point that just replacing it is better.
Maybe try cleaning it with a $100 instead of a $50.

#4904 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Part needed. While prepping the PF for hardtop, I broke this micro switch actuator arm. It's not removable so I need the mounting plate as well. Either side will work, bot the same. Thanks in advance!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That switch will be easy, just reference it in the manual or from the Williams part catalog online.

#4905 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Sounds like it's still a bit dirty. Try cleaning it again. If that doesn't work, the contacts may be shot to the point that just replacing it is better.
Maybe try cleaning it with a $100 instead of a $50.

It sure was. Ended up using some business cards I cut into strips and dipped them into rubbing alcohol. That seemed to do the trick!

Also received my warm white LEDs from Comet, as well as the decal set from Mr. Tantrum this weekend. I tore down the playfield plastics to gain access to the existing LEDs, removed the ramp to install the decal, cleaned all the other contacts, cleaned the playfield and then put a few coats of wax down. (Did I just complete my first "shop" job??)

The game plays even smoother now and is much more enjoyable with the warm white LEDs as seen below.

Before:
IMG_20210926_085212 (resized).jpgIMG_20210926_085212 (resized).jpg

After:
IMG_20210926_171151 (resized).jpgIMG_20210926_171151 (resized).jpg

#4906 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

A-11043 Ball Deflector & Rollover Wire Assy

Page 347 of Williams Blue parts manual

#4907 2 years ago

You could easily remake that arm with the PBR piano wire sample kit.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

switch actuator arm

#4908 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I agree. Buy a piece of hard maple. Pound 2 nails into it and start bending. How I do all my wire bending. I have my HS torn down right now and I have Piano Wire. I might just recreate this. Give me a week and see what I come up with.

Ken

#4909 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

A-11043 Ball Deflector & Rollover Wire Assy
Page 347 of Williams Blue parts manual

Is that just the base w actuator or entire assembly with micro. I got D 11047 in the parts manual.

#4910 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I actually thought of that. I think I have a piece of .051 wire but not sure if I can make those 90 degree bends that are so close together.

#4911 2 years ago

Is the 1.4 mil default score for an extra ball supposed to drop down over time for some reason? With my old board I saw it go down to 1.2 mil that I remember. New board in game now and I just noticed it's now down to 1.3 mil for an extra ball.

#4912 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Is the 1.4 mil default score for an extra ball supposed to drop down over time for some reason? With my old board I saw it go down to 1.2 mil that I remember. New board in game now and I just noticed it's now down to 1.3 mil for an extra ball.

It goes up and down depending on the average game score. I think it adjusts it every 50 games (going by memory).

#4913 2 years ago

FYI to the group: I have a original backboard that can be used to make a new one if your old one is damaged in any way. I also will make a new one for you as well.

PinPilot was nice enough to share his original with me so I could make a new one and I want to pay it forward, so just putting the information out there. I will be storing this until a fellow pinsider needs it.

Ken

20210822_142741 (resized).jpg20210822_142741 (resized).jpg20210822_142823 (resized).jpg20210822_142823 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4914 2 years ago

Hi,

I recently got my paws on a project High Speed and was wondering if someone could take a picture of 1 of the sling coil assemblies showing the position of the leaf switch at the coil?

To me it looks like the wrong arms are installed on the machine.

#4915 2 years ago

That leaf switch is for scoring points. It should be "OPEN" while the sling is at rest and closes to score when the sling is activated. There should also be a diode on it. Here is a pic of my restore (you may need to zoom in a little). There should be a piece of fish tape to prevent metal to metal contact with the sling arm assembly.

Let me know if this clears up your issue.

Congrats getting your paws on a High Speed
IMG_4852 (resized).JPGIMG_4852 (resized).JPG

#4916 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That leaf switch is for scoring points. It should be "OPEN" while the sling is at rest and closes to score when the sling is activated. There should also be a diode on it. Here is a pic of my restore (you may need to zoom in a little). There should be a piece of fish tape to prevent metal to metal contact with the sling arm assembly.
Let me know if this clears up your issue.

Yes, thank you and it is as I suspected. The kicker arm I have is wrong. The pin/shaft that connects to the plunger is too short (the 1 that activates the scoring leaf). I found A-5652-1 part on Marco but this looks wrong. Does anyone have the correct part number? The manual doesn't seem to show it or I am blind, it shows the one I found on Marco on page 37, but this looks like what I have.

IMG_20211011_170332 (resized).jpgIMG_20211011_170332 (resized).jpg

#4917 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Yes, thank you and it is as I suspected. The kicker arm I have is wrong, plus it looks wrong in the parts section in the manual. It shows it as part number A-5652-1 (page 37). the pin that connects to the plunger is too short (the 1 that activates the scoring leaf). Even this part on Marco looks wrong. Does anyone have the correct part number?
[quoted image]

I believe this may be the correct one. B-9463 (A little pricey)

I think the other is for the Hideouts.

Here is Action Pinball but it is out of stock... http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=A-7986

#4918 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I believe this may be the correct one. B-9463 (A little pricey)
I think the other is for the Hideouts.
Here is Action Pinball but it is out of stock... http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=A-7986

I got them from Marco a couple of months ago. They were not on the game specific search. Search by part number.

#4919 2 years ago

This is what you need for HS slings:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-7986

I just installed these on my game and they perfectly.

#4920 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

This is what you need for HS slings:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-7986
I just installed these on my game and they perfectly.

work

#4921 2 years ago

The biggest repair project I have ever done!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/from-a-pile-of-scrap-to-brand-new-machine-william-s-high-speed-

20200726_142349 (resized).jpg20200726_142349 (resized).jpg20201129_142023 (resized).jpg20201129_142023 (resized).jpg

#4922 2 years ago

Enjoyed your thread, awesome to see a game brought back from the dead!

#4923 2 years ago

Nice job! Looks great!

#4924 2 years ago

Wow, that's an overhaul! Thanks for saving a classic, hope you enjoy it.

1 week later
#4925 2 years ago
Quoted from Axaios:

The biggest repair project I have ever done! ...

WOW! Well done and thanks for sharing!

#4926 2 years ago

So, this is my first pin an am learning as I go. Thought I blew a fuse the other day (which I have dealt with before) but it sounds like more.

My wife was playing and I heard a knock like a ball hitting the top glass. Then display went weird. We shut it off and turned it on to reset it and everything seems normal but the flippers and start button don't work now.

Thoughts on where to start?

#4927 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffreymabq:

So, this is my first pin an am learning as I go. Thought I blew a fuse the other day (which I have dealt with before) but it sounds like more.
My wife was playing and I heard a knock like a ball hitting the top glass. Then display went weird. We shut it off and turned it on to reset it and everything seems normal but the flippers and start button don't work now.
Thoughts on where to start?

+5 volt regulator caps.
The fuses.

#4928 2 years ago

Might need a little more info to determine what is going on. Have you looked closely at your boards in the head? see if any component has fried?

When you turn on the pin does everything turn on normally? GI lighting, etc?

#4929 2 years ago

A couple of rules questions:

After I run the red light and lock the first ball in the hideout for multiball, sometimes I'll get two ball multiball, sometimes three ball. Why the difference? The only thing I can figure is that with two ball, I'm plunging the second one so fast that the ramp "stopper" doesn't catch it and put it in the other hideout, and once it hits something on the playfield, that's it, no third ball.

When I start multiball, all the red/amber/green inserts in front of the standups are unlit. As I hit them during multiball, they light up, but I don't think I've ever gotten all nine. Is there some bonus score for hitting all nine? Do they then stay lit or go dark and start over again?

Non-rules question:

I have a flat spot in the sheet metal of my apron right above the outhole and the Williams "W" in the circle. Damned if I could figure out why until a few fast balls did a drain under the raised left flipper, hit the wire guide just below it, and went airborne and hit the apron in the flat spot. I'm guessing this is fairly common to High Speed's and not peculiar to mine?

#4930 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

After I run the red light and lock the first ball in the hideout for multiball, sometimes I'll get two ball multiball, sometimes three ball. Why the difference? The only thing I can figure is that with two ball, I'm plunging the second one so fast that the ramp "stopper" doesn't catch it and put it in the other hideout, and once it hits something on the playfield, that's it, no third ball.
When I start multiball, all the red/amber/green inserts in front of the standups are unlit. As I hit them during multiball, they light up, but I don't think I've ever gotten all nine. Is there some bonus score for hitting all nine? Do they then stay lit or go dark and start over again?
Non-rules question:
I have a flat spot in the sheet metal of my apron right above the outhole and the Williams "W" in the circle. Damned if I could figure out why until a few fast balls did a drain under the raised left flipper, hit the wire guide just below it, and went airborne and hit the apron in the flat spot. I'm guessing this is fairly common to High Speed's and not peculiar to mine?

A hideout switch could be activating... the second backup switch, could think that two balls are in hideout so it kicks balls out...
1) relite the stop light targets is done for eject lock.

#4931 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Non-rules question:

I have a second HS that works but I never really played it yet. Doing a hardtop right now but the opening of the apron hood behind the flippers is all peened on the edge. I was baffled by this so yes this could be a common problem. My other HS that I have had for years never done this. The only thing I can think of is that the buffer wires below the flippers are not down all the way. Or maybe incorrect pitch of the pf. I think the recommended pitch is 6 degrees?

#4932 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Might need a little more info to determine what is going on. Have you looked closely at your boards in the head? see if any component has fried?
When you turn on the pin does everything turn on normally? GI lighting, etc?

Sorry, everything looks normal and all the fuses are fine.
When I power on everything works fine except the buttons. I ran through all the music test, light test - everything seems ok.

#4933 2 years ago

I neglected to mention that, when I run the coil test, nothing happens on any of the coils. It clearly seems fuse related, but none of them appear to be burnt out.

#4934 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffreymabq:

I neglected to mention that, when I run the coil test, nothing happens on any of the coils. It clearly seems fuse related, but none of them appear to be burnt out.

You can't tell if a fuse is burnt by looking at it. If you don't have the means to test each one with a meter out of the game, try rotating fuses F103, F04 and F105. Those are your solenoid fuses and they are all 3A slow blow. If the problem persists, than either ALL your fuses have blown (doubtful) or you have another issue.

Added over 2 years ago:

ha ha ha... strike that. I have a HS and HS2 and got confused as to which forum I was on!

For HS, the solenoid fuses are F2 and F4. You can't switch them though, even though they are both 2.5 amp. F4 is a slow blow and F2 is not. Best to take those out and test them with a meter.

#4935 2 years ago

Thought I would share a little mod that I made while restoring my topside. I wanted to update the standard black and off-white spacers used on the plastics. I came up with a tree trunk shape and printed them in green so they would blend in . It's subtle, but I am happy with how they turned out.

DSC08761 (resized).JPGDSC08761 (resized).JPGDSC08762 (resized).JPGDSC08762 (resized).JPG
#4936 2 years ago

That is pretty cool, A lot better than the standard boring posts.

#4937 2 years ago

That tree mod is awesome.

#4938 2 years ago

They look really cool!

#4939 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Thought I would share a little mod that I made while restoring my topside. I wanted to update the standard black and off-white spacers used on the plastics. I came up with a tree trunk shape and printed them in green so they would blend in . It's subtle, but I am happy with how they turned out. [quoted image][quoted image]

How many are used in the game? Can you provide all the locations you used them in? I want a full set for my restoration.

Ken

#4940 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Thought I would share a little mod that I made while restoring my topside. I wanted to update the standard black and off-white spacers used on the plastics. I came up with a tree trunk shape and printed them in green so they would blend in . It's subtle, but I am happy with how they turned out. [quoted image][quoted image]

I would be interested in a set of these if you would be willing to make them. I bet there would be other people interested as well!

#4941 2 years ago

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I wasn't really expecting to sell kits, but it seems there might be enough interest. I kind of made the design quick and dirty, so will think if there are any improvements I want to make. I think I'll pick up some wood filament to see how that looks. I'll create a separate mod thread and folks can PM me directly with questions.

#4942 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I wasn't really expecting to sell kits, but it seems there might be enough interest. I kind of made the design quick and dirty, so will think if there are any improvements I want to make. I think I'll pick up some wood filament to see how that looks. I'll create a separate mod thread and folks can PM me directly with questions.

Awesome, if it is too much much work and you want them only for your game, I respect that too. It is nice to have a one of a kind feature all to yourself.

#4943 2 years ago

Ok, now that I have the correct sling arms, now to deal with a whole slough of problems that I have it powered up. lol

#4944 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Ok, now that I have the correct sling arms, now to deal with a whole slough of problems that I have it powered up. lol

Any locked coils upon power up? If so, which one/s?

#4945 2 years ago

Kid decided he wanted to get some decent scores on NVRam, streamed it last night, figured I'd post it here as gameplay if anyone is interested. Amazing how the game holds up, just fast classic gameplay and an amazing package overall-

#4946 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Added 16 days ago: ha ha ha... strike that. I have a HS and HS2 and got confused as to which forum I was on!
For HS, the solenoid fuses are F2 and F4. You can't switch them though, even though they are both 2.5 amp. F4 is a slow blow and F2 is not. Best to take those out and test them with a meter.

Sorry been busy with work - but THANKS for your help. You both solved the problem and explained my troubleshooting error. I have restored an old 70s muscle car, so I am used to the standard little fuses that are obviously burnt out. The last fuse that popped on the pin was visibly popped. So, sure enough F4 was popped even though it looked fine.

But, you also raised a new question - you say F2 is not supposed to be a slow blow, but the high speed fuse diagram floating around the internet says it should be a slow blow. It has a slow blow in there now, and I am wondering if I should change it.

#4947 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Any locked coils upon power up? If so, which one/s?

No coils locked on, however the left flipper was wired incorrectly and the kick out coil also had it's wires connected backwards. The latter damaged both the output and driver transistors as well as the SN7804 IC.

This came to me with the PF swapped, so there was also many issues with the GI shorting out.

Just got to realign the shooter guides so the ball can make it to the upper section of the PF - right now it hits the lower post. Plus there is some issue with the plastic ramp. It was replaced with a clear one, but it is out of wack. Too high on the right so the ball cannot drop back to the PF.

Eventually it will all get there...

#4948 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

No coils locked on, however the left flipper was wired incorrectly and the kick out coil also had it's wires connected backwards. The latter damaged both the output and driver transistors as well as the SN7804 IC.
This came to me with the PF swapped, so there was also many issues with the GI shorting out.
Just got to realign the shooter guides so the ball can make it to the upper section of the PF - right now it hits the lower post. Plus there is some issue with the plastic ramp. It was replaced with a clear one, but it is out of wack. Too high on the right so the ball cannot drop back to the PF.
Eventually it will all get there...

I just finished swapping mine and had the same issue with the shooter guide rail. I have a Freeplay40 ramp as well. He installed and gapped the switches but I'm not sure if they need to be a little closer since the game gets confused on the hideouts if a ball flies up there really fast. I was thinking of adding caps to those switches like they have on the pop bumper switches but haven't gotten to it yet.

#4949 2 years ago

Are my displays starting to go or is this a symptom of something else. Only the upper two display issues and it’s somewhat intermittent. The top right one is the worst. I swapped the ribbon cables around with no major change but I do have a new one on the way as that’s cheap and easy to check off. Board looks ok.

77A25B12-BF72-424B-9DDF-47F679AFBB70 (resized).jpeg77A25B12-BF72-424B-9DDF-47F679AFBB70 (resized).jpeg
#4950 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

Are my displays starting to go or is this a symptom of something else. Only the upper two display issues and it’s somewhat intermittent. The top right one is the worst. I swapped the ribbon cables around with no major change but I do have a new one on the way as that’s cheap and easy to check off. Board looks ok.
[quoted image]

Is there any corrosion on the CPU? I think the network resistors on the top of the board have something to do with the displays. My game has a horizontal segment out on the center line on both alphas, all digits. It had previous corrosion repair before I bought it. It's probably a broken trace somewhere.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/99?hl=hangernade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.