(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,251 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240322_224012722 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 126.
#4601 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

No, you need a molex crimp tool. There are many different kinds, Here is a basic one from amazon:
amazon.com link »

Of course. I own 5 crimpers and can't find #5. None of them are molex crimpers. Thought my spark plug wire crimpers would work as they have changeable jaws, but noth8ng for molex. Ordered one from Amazon.

#4602 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Of course. I own 5 crimpers and can't find #5. None of them are molex crimpers. Thought my spark plug wire crimpers would work as they have changeable jaws, but noth8ng for molex. Ordered one from Amazon.

Yea, it is amazing how many different crimper tools you accumulate over the years when you dabble in electronics.

#4603 2 years ago

I paid a LOT for the neato ratcheting one on PBL only to find that it isn't for .100 (in their defense it says so right on their site..I just didn't read) as is commonly found on old Bally and stern. Had to fork over another 35 or so for one from GPE to do that job. Probably won't ever use the ratcheting ones again out of pure spite. Blah.

#4604 2 years ago

Wow, Digikey is in no damn hurry to ship my order.

#4605 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Wow, Digikey is in no damn hurry to ship my order.

is it not shipped yet? they have shipped relatively fast with my past orders.

#4606 2 years ago

So I think I'm headed down to pick up my high speed tomorrow. I'm ready for her to be home! And with the frustration from trying to dial in my Eight Ball Deluxe / wrapping up of the Lethal Weapon 3 I picked up, I think it's a good time. Can't wait!

#4607 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

is it not shipped yet? they have shipped relatively fast with my past orders.

Under status it just says "submitted".

#4608 2 years ago

I wouldn’t redo all of the connectors at this point. Bally games need that, on System 11’s I’ve only ever needed to redo the GI connector.

#4609 2 years ago

Just gets more awesome. Was playing tonight and thought I heard an odd noise but wasn't sure. Next thing, I notice the magic smoke coming up around the right pop bomber. Turn game off and lift playfield, smell the burn. Can't see anything out of the ordinary but damn near burnt myself when I touched the coil for that pop bumper. Need to let it cool before I can do anything else but it seems like that bumper mechanism isn't springing up and down like the others. Not sure if the sleeve heated up and deformed or if the mechanism caused the issue. Game seemed to be playing normally, didn't notice an issue with the bumper. I did notice that the lower bumper has a different coil than the other two. Is that normal? I would think they would all 3 be the same.
Anyone know if rebuilding the bumpers would do the trick or should I be looking for a different cause? Will try and get a better look tomorrow when it all cools down.
Have 2 machines down now. Anyone an expert on a Laser Ball with flippers that stopped working?

#4610 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Just gets more awesome. Was playing tonight and thought I heard an odd noise but wasn't sure. Next thing, I notice the magic smoke coming up around the right pop bomber. Turn game off and lift playfield, smell the burn. Can't see anything out of the ordinary but damn near burnt myself when I touched the coil for that pop bumper. Need to let it cool before I can do anything else but it seems like that bumper mechanism isn't springing up and down like the others. Not sure if the sleeve heated up and deformed or if the mechanism caused the issue. Game seemed to be playing normally, didn't notice an issue with the bumper. I did notice that the lower bumper has a different coil than the other two. Is that normal? I would think they would all 3 be the same.
Anyone know if rebuilding the bumpers would do the trick or should I be looking for a different cause? Will try and get a better look tomorrow when it all cools down.
Have 2 machines down now. Anyone an expert on a Laser Ball with flippers that stopped working?

Coil is definitely fried. It must have stuck on somehow. Transistor on board may be fried as well. I like to use solenoid savers for system 11s.

#4611 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

If the coil got too hot it will swell and cause the plunger to not move freely which is why it appears to be stuck.

Are the coils different by mfr or numbers?

#4612 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

If the coil got too hot it will swell and cause the plunger to not move freely which is why it appears to be stuck.
Are the coils different by mfr or numbers?

Will double check tomorrow but one coil is a Williams and the other two are I guess no-names and different numbers.

#4613 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Coil is definitely fried. It must have stuck on somehow. Transistor on board may be fried as well. I like to use solenoid savers for system 11s.

Yes, want to get the solenoid saver but I thought they need to be rewired for sys 11.
Which transistor would be the one to check?

#4614 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Yes, want to get the solenoid saver but I thought they need to be rewired for sys 11.
Which transistor would be the one to check?

Looks like Q73. See picture. I’d replace the coil first and check the switch. Note, the picture shows the coil number as well. Solenoid saver will definitely work on the special coils in sys 11.

76F9E727-39F4-4518-96A2-F8D2DA1709BE (resized).png76F9E727-39F4-4518-96A2-F8D2DA1709BE (resized).png

#4615 2 years ago

If there is a pre-driver transistor that is likely gone too. It’s shaped like a “D” when you look at it from above. I had a shorted pop coil and it killed the transistor and the pre-driver.

#4616 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

So I think I'm headed down to pick up my high speed tomorrow. I'm ready for her to be home! And with the frustration from trying to dial in my Eight Ball Deluxe / wrapping up of the Lethal Weapon 3 I picked up, I think it's a good time. Can't wait!

How quickly are you gonna throw those new rails on???

#4617 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

How quickly are you gonna throw those new rails on???

The wireforms? IMMEDIATELY.

PXL_20210505_172733140.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_172733140.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_185550677 (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_185550677 (resized).jpg
#4618 2 years ago

The wireforms? IMMEDIATELY.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I eagerly await the next batch of pictures then!

#4619 2 years ago

HOLY FORKING SHIRTBALLS! I love them!!!

PXL_20210505_230138378.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_230138378.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_230142901 (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_230142901 (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_230151971.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210505_230151971.MP (resized).jpg
#4620 2 years ago

So I got a better look today. Right bumper not moving now, I guess the sleeve did heat and seize. Two of the coils are AE-24-900-2. They are not correct but I don't know enough to say how they differ from the correct ones. Have an order ready for Marcos. They don't have the switches, but mine look okay. Did not see the spoon part but will check again before I submit the order. Hard to tell how they are without disassembly but one looks more bumped out than the other. Don't really want to break down the switches just for them but might as well.

As far as coils, I saw a post by Vid stating that the piece with the wire and diode should be moved to the upper end of the coil to help insulate it from the shock of the plunger bottoming out. Anyone do this?

Also, how will I know if the transistor is fried? Will it damage my new parts if so or will the bumper just not work?

#4621 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

So I got a better look today. Right bumper not moving now, I guess the sleeve did heat and seize. Two of the coils are AE-24-900-2. They are not correct but I don't know enough to say how they differ from the correct ones. Have an order ready for Marcos. They don't have the switches, but mine look okay. Did not see the spoon part but will check again before I submit the order. Hard to tell how they are without disassembly but one looks more bumped out than the other. Don't really want to break down the switches just for them but might as well.
As far as coils, I saw a post by Vid stating that the piece with the wire and diode should be moved to the upper end of the coil to help insulate it from the shock of the plunger bottoming out. Anyone do this?
Also, how will I know if the transistor is fried? Will it damage my new parts if so or will the bumper just not work?

The different coil numbers isn’t a big deal. For pop bumpers, I don’t think wire direction matters. First thing you need to do is get a née coil and install it. Check the activation switch “spoon” to make sure it is set correctly (not touching). Then, turn on machine. If coil locks on, turn off quickly. This means short and transistor most likely fried. If nothing happens when turn on machine, go into switch mode and see if it activates. If it doesn’t, could be fried transistor or shorted diode. You can also ground the transistor to see if it will fire.

#4622 2 years ago

Moved it down in pieces and got it all set back up. Adjusted my wonky hideout switch (it might need a bit more yet but it's at least working now). She looks so purdy next to my other Sys11 baby

Still need to install the MRS switch. I'll save that for when I need my next win on something...so, in a couple of hours most likely.

PXL_20210506_145615823 (resized).jpgPXL_20210506_145615823 (resized).jpg
#4623 2 years ago

HOLY FORKING SHIRTBALLS! I love them!!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great...
My list of things I want to do just got longer!
List right now:
- Hardtop
- Red ramp
- Have wireforms painted

#4624 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Great...
My list of things I want to do just got longer!
List right now:
- Hardtop
- Red ramp
- Have wireforms painted

I'm gathering all of the things in order to have all the other metal pieces candy coated also. The rails are my last item but I've been hesitant to pull them off lol

#4625 2 years ago

Is it possible to remove the metal spacers without ruining the plastic?

PXL_20210509_173243639 (resized).jpgPXL_20210509_173243639 (resized).jpg
#4626 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:Is it possible to remove the metal spacers without ruining the plastic?
[quoted image]

Yes I just did it with my plastic get a drill bit as big as the metal that goes through the plastic and drill it out slowly

#4627 2 years ago

Soldering iron worked. I'm trying to.... Change this back corner. I think it looks dumb with all that exposed light. Makes sense with the black ramp ... Not with clear.

PXL_20210509_172804308 (resized).jpgPXL_20210509_172804308 (resized).jpg
#4628 2 years ago

Does anyone know the value of this red resister (I think it’s a resister???)... Ride hideout coil not firing, and I found the broken leg on this guy..

0028D320-E463-4F23-B60B-7D3C939AF807 (resized).jpeg0028D320-E463-4F23-B60B-7D3C939AF807 (resized).jpeg
#4629 2 years ago

Soldering iron worked. I'm trying to.... Change this back corner. I think it looks dumb with all that exposed light. Makes sense with the black ramp ... Not with clear.
[quoted image]

This is what mine looks like now

6DC35F31-C659-4D52-A459-7EE314890C31 (resized).jpeg6DC35F31-C659-4D52-A459-7EE314890C31 (resized).jpeg
#4630 2 years ago
Quoted from joew575:

This is what mine looks like now
[quoted image]

MUCH better. Thanks for sharing!

#4631 2 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Does anyone know the value of this red resister (I think it’s a resister???)... Ride hideout coil not firing, and I found the broken leg on this guy..
[quoted image]

That resistor is fried, I would replace that diode with it. The colors are orange, green, brown and gold. From what I found online, I'm thinking this is a 350 ohm resistor +/- 5%. I'm guess at least a 3 watt heat rating? Can someone concur?

#4632 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That resistor is fried, I would replace that diode with it. The colors are orange, green, brown and gold. From what I found online, I'm thinking this is a 350 ohm resistor +/- 5%. I'm guess at least a 3 watt heat rating? Can someone concur?

That looks about right. Here is a pic from my High Speed - The green band is a bit faded. I would replace both sides, right and left kicker resistor, Diode and Cap while you are there.

IMG_2634 (resized).JPGIMG_2634 (resized).JPG

#4633 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Do it like this. The factory should have done it like this in the first place.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4634 2 years ago

Thanks for the help!

Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That looks about right. Here is a pic from my High Speed - The green band is a bit faded. I would replace both sides, right and left kicker resistor, Diode and Cap while you are there.
[quoted image]

#4635 2 years ago

Figured I'd share this.. the GI between the two plastics on the left side always bugged me.. especially when using LEDs this can glare quite a bit.

Anyway, I had a bunch of these bendies I bought in a bulk lot.. just enough room to twist around and light up the left kickout, and no more glare in my eye

high_speed_led (resized).jpghigh_speed_led (resized).jpg
#4636 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Figured I'd share this.. the GI between the two plastics on the left side always bugged me.. especially when using LEDs this can glare quite a bit.
Anyway, I had a bunch of these bendies I bought in a bulk lot.. just enough room to twist around and light up the left kickout, and no more glare in my eye
[quoted image]

I used the double bendies to light my flipper buttons, start button, saucer, and rollovers. There are 3 bulbs on the playfield that I feel glare too much. This might be the solution I was looking for.

1 week later
#4637 2 years ago

Lol. Can't say I've ever had that one before...

PXL_20210518_143312345 (resized).jpgPXL_20210518_143312345 (resized).jpgPXL_20210518_143316087 (resized).jpgPXL_20210518_143316087 (resized).jpg
#4638 2 years ago

Yeah, but lets see you do it again!

#4639 2 years ago

Lol. Can't say I've ever had that one before...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Scared of the red wireforms... they look too hot

#4640 2 years ago

I wanted to share with the club pictures of a High Speed we installed a hardtop for @Gorgar666. As you can see, the game now looks absolutely beautiful and the inserts sparkle. I don't know if I have ever played a pinball that shoots so smoothly. It feels frictionless.

The translucent red ramp from Freeplay40 and the custom mini traffic light mod from RobF look outstanding.
I could play it all day, every day. I think I am in love.

high-speed-full (resized).jpghigh-speed-full (resized).jpghigh-speed-pf (resized).jpghigh-speed-pf (resized).jpghigh-speed-sanding (resized).jpghigh-speed-sanding (resized).jpg
#4641 2 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I wanted to share with the club pictures of a High Speed we installed a hardtop for Gorgar666. As you can see, the game now looks absolutely beautiful and the inserts sparkle. I don't know if I have ever played a pinball that shoots so smoothly. It feels frictionless.
The translucent red ramp from Freeplay40 and the custom mini traffic light mod from RobF look outstanding.
I could play it all day, every day. I think I am in love.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome! Does RobF still sell that mod?

#4643 2 years ago

Great work! Looks awesome. High Speed is a PERFECT game for hardtops and the fp40 ramps are killer. I need to add the stoplight to mine.. I've had it carted forever!

#4644 2 years ago

Great work! Looks awesome. High Speed is a PERFECT game for hardtops and the fp40 ramps are killer. I need to add the stoplight to mine.. I've had it carted forever!

The stoplight is awesome.
I need to get the FP40 ramp when I do the hardtop.

#4645 2 years ago

Anyone ever deal with any humming issues? In it's past life in my HS the grey 3-wire going from the sound board down to the rheostat in the cabinet for volume control I guess got broken and had a new piece spliced in. I have a hum that comes from the speakers. It's not too bad but it is annoying because I have to assume it's not normal. Would replacing the wire with a new full length piece and a new rheostat do anything to fix the hum? I've heard of people isolating grounds and using separate power supplies to stop humming but was thinking my easy fix might help.

20210522_211446 (resized).jpg20210522_211446 (resized).jpg20210522_211456 (resized).jpg20210522_211456 (resized).jpg20210522_211515 (resized).jpg20210522_211515 (resized).jpg
#4646 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Anyone ever deal with any humming issues? In it's past life in my HS the grey 3-wire going from the sound board down to the rheostat in the cabinet for volume control I guess got broken and had a new piece spliced in. I have a hum that comes from the speakers. It's not too bad but it is annoying because I have to assume it's not normal. Would replacing the wire with a new full length piece and a new rheostat do anything to fix the hum? I've heard of people isolating grounds and using separate power supplies to stop humming but was thinking my easy fix might help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Most humming on solid state machines comes from poor ground from my experience. When I purchased my HS I had a loud hum. I made sure that all screws were tightened and making good contact with the sound card and mpu. If any screws are missing try to find replacements.

#4647 2 years ago

Agree with this. Also is the ground prong cut off the cord?

Quoted from pinflip_:

Most humming on solid state machines comes from poor ground from my experience. When I purchased my HS I had a loud hum. I made sure that all screws were tightened and making good contact with the sound card and mpu. If any screws are missing try to find replacements.

#4648 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Agree with this. Also is the ground prong cut off the cord?

Nope, cord is good. I just keep looking at the splice job someone did and hate it. Was hoping it might fix the hum. Will definitely fix my OCD!

#4649 2 years ago

No turning back now! This is my 10th PF swap. All others have been early Bally and Stern. What's nice about HS is that all the switched lamps are wired directly and no trace wire is needed. I have another HS here to reference but I still labeled as much as I needed to. One thing compared to earlier swaps is that HS has numerous through hole wiring for the hideouts and such, so many of those have to be de-soldered. It took about 3 long nights to get this far.

P5280079 (resized).JPGP5280079 (resized).JPGP5280080 (resized).JPGP5280080 (resized).JPGP5280081 (resized).JPGP5280081 (resized).JPG
#4650 2 years ago

Also found out why the upper flashers never worked, warming resistor missing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/93 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.