(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 126.
#4451 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

I replaced the diodes on the bottom switch

Quoted from Hangernade:

Hideout is not firing now

Did you install the diode in the correct direction?

switch diode (resized).PNGswitch diode (resized).PNG
#4452 3 years ago

Grumpy- Do not have the bridge board upgrade yet but I plan on it. Can you give me a little direction on checking the coil power bridge rectifier? I believe it is the upper one of the two? Am I just putting a DMM across the orange and black wire terminals?

Did not change diode on relay. Should I?

Am fairly certain diodes I installed are oriented properly. My OCD makes me question myself. I did compare them to their counterparts on the left hideout and bands appear to be in the same direction but I will check them again later. Trying to juggle too many things this morning.

If I am to check across the rectifier from the orange to black wire I have 32 volts. Rechecked my diodes and fuses today. Noticed upon closer inspection this fuse looked like it had a smudge on it. Turns out it blew. Not sure where it goes to but maybe it's what's holding me up now. Going to pick some up tomorrow.

20210305_175721 (resized).jpg20210305_175721 (resized).jpg
#4453 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Am I just putting a DMM across the orange and black wire terminals?

Yep. Should be @ 32-35 volts DC.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Did not change diode on relay. Should I?

Yep.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Turns out it blew. Not sure where it goes to but maybe it's what's holding me up now. Going to pick some up tomorrow.

This is the fuse for the 70 volts coils that have snubber relays.

#4454 3 years ago

Replaced blown fuse. Everything was working in test mode. Kickback would pop out but not immediately go back in. Seemed like left kicker or something else firing would make it go back. Didn't get any further with it yet. During game play right hideout fires, but does not have the power to shoot the ball out. Did not change diode on relay yet. Not sure if that will help it or not.
Coil was loose in bracket the other day so I tightened it up but it moves freely.

#4455 3 years ago

Got a new red Freeplay40 ramp on the way for my NOS PF, it's gonna look sexy!

#4456 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Replaced blown fuse. Everything was working in test mode. Kickback would pop out but not immediately go back in. Seemed like left kicker or something else firing would make it go back. Didn't get any further with it yet. During game play right hideout fires, but does not have the power to shoot the ball out. Did not change diode on relay yet. Not sure if that will help it or not.
Coil was loose in bracket the other day so I tightened it up but it moves freely.

Check the coil resistance, mine are reading 5.3 ohms

#4457 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

A loose coil, wear on the plunger link holes, a dirty sleeve, a dry pivot pin are a few reasons for a weak coil. Could also be burnt contacts on the relay caused by a bad snubber board capacitor/diode. The blue and brown wires on the relay can also be moved to the opposite side terminals and you will have a new set of contacts to use for another 35 years.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4458 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

A loose coil, wear on the plunger link holes, a dirty sleeve, a dry pivot pin are a few reasons for a weak coil. Could also be burnt contacts on the relay caused by a bad snubber board capacitor/diode. The blue and brown wires on the relay can also be moved to the opposite side terminals and you will have a new set of contacts to use for another 35 years.
[quoted image][quoted image]

What can be used on a dry pivot pin? I thought lubrication is a no-no.

#4459 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

What can be used on a dry pivot pin? I thought lubrication is a no-no.

98% of the time lubrication is not needed in pinball machines, but on a metal to metal contact area like this pivot pin I clean both parts very well and then use one drop of CLP oil on the pin then reassemble it. This will last ten years in a home use pin.

#4460 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The blue and brown wires on the relay can also be moved to the opposite side terminals and you will have a new set of contacts to use for another 35 years.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It looks as if there are jumpers connecting both sets of terminals where the blue and brown wires are attached. Will moving them over actually make them use the other set of contacts? Plus both of these relays have cracked cases that come right off.

20210307_183239 (resized).jpg20210307_183239 (resized).jpg
#4461 3 years ago

I have an early run pin so my machine has different relays then yours. Having both contacts jumpered like yours is the best way to run. So just replace the diode.

#4462 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I have an early run pin so my machine has different relays then yours. Having both contacts jumpered like yours is the best way to run. So just replace the diode.

Replaced diode. Disassembled coil and cleaned it all. One drop of CLP on pin. Seems smooth as butter. Still not kicking ball out. Should I replace snubber capacitors? They may be the only caps I have not replaced. What about the other resistor(?) in between the diode and the capacitor? . Is it possible for micro switch wire to be sticking up too high and slowing ball down? Coil is reading 6.0 ohms FWIW. Anything else to try? Itching to play......!

#4463 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Anything else to try?

So its not a friction issue now. All that is left is a power or ground problem. Do you have a jumper wire with some alligator clips? You can connect one end of the jumper to the ground braid and the other end to the snubber board terminal where the brown/black wires connect to test the ground wire. Retest with a ball in the hideout. You can also test the power by connecting the jumper wire to the purple/yellow wire on the left hide out coil to the purple/yellow wire on the right hide out coil. Then retest.

#4464 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

So its not a friction issue now. All that is left is a power or ground problem. Do you have a jumper wire with some alligator clips? You can connect one end of the jumper to the ground braid and the other end to the snubber board terminal where the brown/black wires connect to test the ground wire. Retest with a ball in the hideout. You can also test the power by connecting the jumper wire to the purple/yellow wire on the left hide out coil to the purple/yellow wire on the right hide out coil. Then retest.

With both jumper arrangements I let the ball roll down into the hideout. Grounding set up didn't seem to do anything helpful. Let it kick about 4-5 times before shutting off machine. Repeated with same result. Connecting jumper to power did shoot the ball out twice then kept kicking. Repeated again and did not kick ball out, just kept kicking.

#4465 3 years ago

Sounds like it's time for a new relay then. You said that the cover comes off easy. Remove the cover and look at the point contacts, are they burnt?

#4466 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sounds like it's time for a new relay then. You said that the cover comes off easy. Remove the cover and look at the point contacts, are they burnt?

They seemed pretty clean when I examined them.

You said there are different relays used? Mine is the DPDT type yes?

#4467 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

They seemed pretty clean when I examined them.
You said there are different relays used? Mine is the DPDT type yes?

Correct. On early games like mine there are automotive 12 volt black cube relays with a dropping resistor and no snubber boards.

#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Correct. On early games like mine there are automotive 12 volt black cube relays with a dropping resistor and no snubber boards.

Looked real quick and think Marco's had 24 v relays. Would that be correct?

Marco's does not have correct relay. Relays in machine are 13 amp. Found a local place that has 10 amp relays. Would that work as a replacement or no?

Was able to find them at PBR.

#4469 3 years ago

Anyone know if these work with HS? Couldn't copy the link for some reason.

Screenshot_20210309-151243_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210309-151243_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#4470 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Relays in machine are 13 amp.

Kind of an odd rating, most are 10 or 15 amps.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Found a local place that has 10 amp relays. Would that work as a replacement or no?

Yes they would, with both sets of contacts tied together you would have a 20 amp rating.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Anyone know if these work with HS?

Yes they would work with some reworking of the wiring.

#4471 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes they would work with some reworking of the wiring.

Any chance you would be able to enlighten me as to how to do that? It would take more than just connecting the existing wires to the proper terminals?

#4472 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

It would take more than just connecting the existing wires to the proper terminals?

Yes and no, you would also need to find standoffs and screws to mount the board. Make new holes in the playfield for mounting.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Any chance you would be able to enlighten me as to how to do that?

Start by unsoldering all the wires from the relay and snubber board, then remove both items.
Find a good location to mount the new snubber board, hopefully where all the old wires can reach.
Find some circuit board standoffs (pic below) like these from PBL for mounting.
Connect the 2 black wires to the ground terminal.
Connect the 2 red wires to the power terminal.
Connect the grey/black wire to the drive terminal.
Do not connect anything to the NC terminal.
Connect the blue wire from the hideout coil to the coil terminal.
You will have 1 brown and 1 blue wire left over, you do not need them as you are done and ready to test it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4473 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes and no, you would also need to find standoffs and screws to mount the board. Make new holes in the playfield for mounting.

Start by unsoldering all the wires from the relay and snubber board, then remove both items.
Find a good location to mount the new snubber board, hopefully where all the old wires can reach.
Find some circuit board standoffs (pic below) like these from PBL for mounting.
Connect the 2 black wires to the ground terminal.
Connect the 2 red wires to the power terminal.
Connect the grey/black wire to the drive terminal.
Do not connect anything to the NC terminal.
Connect the blue wire from the hideout coil to the coil terminal.
You will have 1 brown and 1 blue wire left over, you do not need them as you are done and ready to test it.[quoted image]

These eliminate the relays? Was looking to rebuild the snubbers but thought these might be a good upgrade. Are they a decent upgrade or nothing special?

#4474 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

These eliminate the relays?

Yes, the relay on the new board would be replacing the blue relay screwed to the play field.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Are they a decent upgrade or nothing special?

I don't know if I would call it an upgrade. There wont be any improvements to game play or longevity of parts. More of a consolidation of parts to one board. Now for early games like mine which have no snubber portion and just the relay, this would be an improvement for removing EMI pulses.

#4475 3 years ago

I stand corrected, there is one upgrade to using this replacement snubber board. The resistor is a larger wattage then the original that is usually burnt to a crisp just like yours on your game.

#4476 3 years ago

Could someone tell me the resistor value for the resistors on the PF switches, pop bumpers etc?

#4477 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Could someone tell me the resistor value for the resistors on the PF switches, pop bumpers etc?

100 ohm.

#4478 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

How confident are you that it's my relays? I only ask because I'm hoping this does it. Have company coming next weekend and really want to show off a bit......!

#4479 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I stand corrected, there is one upgrade to using this replacement snubber board. The resistor is a larger wattage then the original that is usually burnt to a crisp just like yours on your game.

Could the resistor be causing my problems?

#4480 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

How confident are you that it's my relays?

That's the only thing that you haven't bypassed yet.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Could the resistor be causing my problems?

The resistor is part of the EMI pulse reducing circuit, even if you were to remove the resistor and cap the coil will fire.

As a final test you could connect a 2 jumper wires, one to the blue and one to the brown wires of the relay terminals. Care must be taken so they don't touch each other. Then lower the PF with the wires around the side of the PF. Turn on the power and drop a ball into the hideout. Briefly touch the ends of the jumper wires together, this will be the same as the relay activating. Does the ball pop out with force now that you bypassed the relay?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4482 3 years ago

Got my relays delivered and installed the one in the right hideout. First off the tabs on the new relay are smaller so it kind of sucked soldering them. Was still randomly not pushing the ball out. Seemed like the bottom switch protruded higher than the left side so I bent it a bit to mirror the left side. Ball seems to shoot out fine now. Occasionally the hideout will fire a second time after the ball is well out of the hideout. Thinking maybe it's the side switch causing that? Will check it out when I can. Also think the kickback is still randomly firing with the hideout. Assume I should try swapping that diode next.

#4483 3 years ago

Hello guys,

Any one got the exact dimensions of the back glass for High speed?

Thanks

#4484 3 years ago

Axaios

The size is W 28 1/2” x H 21”

#4485 3 years ago
Quoted from joew575:

axaios
The size is W 28 1/2” x H 21”

Thanks man.

#4486 3 years ago

It's finally here.

Man this looks so awesome!

Many thanks to Freeplay40.

20210316_142144 (resized).jpg20210316_142144 (resized).jpg
#4487 3 years ago

It's a great ramp, you'll enjoy it!!

HS1.pdfHS1.pdfHS2.pdfHS2.pdf
#4488 3 years ago

The red ramp is awesome. It hides that hideous gap in the plastic in the far right corner, whereas the clear one lets it shine right through. I need to take that plastic out and see if I can remove the spacers so it'll sit flat against the rails to get rid of that (and reposition the flasher at the same time).

Both are great choices for the game..far better than the OG black piece..IMO.

#4489 3 years ago

I got my red ramp last week. Very pleased with how it looks.

#4490 3 years ago

If anyone’s interested, I’m currently doing a thread on my HS restoration.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-amp-taxi-80s-brothers-rebuilt

#4491 3 years ago
Quoted from Axaios:

It's finally here.
Man this looks so awesome!
Many thanks to Freeplay40.
[quoted image]

Do you still need to send them your black one in order to have the metal piece put on? Or does it come with it installed automatically?

#4492 3 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Do you still need to send them your black one in order to have the metal piece put on? Or does it come with it installed automatically?

Well it depends. I am in Greece so to send my black one would be very difficult and it was going to take a lot of time. I will do it my self. But yes they can do that for you if you send them your old ramp.

#4493 3 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

You need to contact FREEPLAY40. He is the one who sells them....

#4494 3 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

You need to contact FREEPLAY40. He is the one who sells them....

Correct

#4495 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I've had a recent problem with my High Speed that makes it unplayable.
During a game I was playing, the score display went blank but the GI stayed on, and the entire game went dead, but the sound effects were still working; it just continued with the music track.
I turned the game off and back on, all of the displays read zeros and you could hear random sound effects, and it doesn't respond when you try to start a game.
I haven't read of this happening in another System 11 and I haven't the slightest idea where to start looking for a problem. Any ideas?

I still haven't tackled this, too many other things on the go.

Before I do, I just wanted to mention that I've previously installed Inkochnito's bridge board. Has anyone had any issues with this board and could it have something to do with the problem?

#4496 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

and could it have something to do with the problem?

No, this board is for the lamp and coil power. Since you don't have displays, you have a low 5 volt issue or a blanking issue.

#4497 3 years ago

Looking for some help! During game play only the Upper Jet Bumper works. During test mode only the Upper and Lower Jet Bumpers work. Any advise?

#4498 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

Looking for some help! During game play only the Upper Jet Bumper works. During test mode only the Upper and Lower Jet Bumpers work. Any advise?

So the upper jet bumper is fine and since the lower left jet bumper works in test but not during a game, most likely an activation switch issue. The switch is out of adjustment or has a broken wire. Now for the right jet bumper not working in test or game play, there maybe a board problem, a switch problem, a broken power wire/ground wire problem, a bad coil and or a combination of these issues. You can start by briefly grounding the metal tab of Q-73 transistor with a jumper wire to see if the coil fires. If it does fire then you know the power/ground wires and the coil are good. Then you will need to look for a board problem. let us know what you find.

#4499 3 years ago

Thanks Grumpy, I will try and check it out tomorrow after work.

#4500 3 years ago

First, thought I'd share this epic game with my kid last night. Low increment jackpot values too!.. and my first time getting the hideout multiball extra ball ..

Been crazy days for high speed.. the night before my family had a quadruple match?!?

Second, for the freeplay ramps, I was wondering what the gameplay difference is like? Would you say more likely to make the shot, and less partially up the ramp weaker ones not making it? better control for a repeat ramp shot? or pretty much the same just cosmetic?

Last, on the left outlane kickback, wondering what the consensus would be on where you want to ball to end up operationally? I find mine most commonly hits the divider between the right freeway and the escape and bounces back down... once in a while it creeps up the right freeway... just curious.

Thank you
20210322_231447 (resized).jpg20210322_231447 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/90?hl=axaios and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.