(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,251 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240322_224012722 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 126.
#4251 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Did you remember to set it back to freeplay? lol
Sounds like what I'd expect to see happen when batteries were removed and then re-inserted (or in this case, NVRAM installed)..

Just ran down and threw a quarter in and it worked so must be free play! Thanks for pointing out my error!

#4252 3 years ago

Bwahahahaha, got ya with the little stuff!

Good job on the NVRAM install! Head into the service menu and set it to freeplay again and you're good to go.

#4253 3 years ago

Never done NVRAM, but doesn't it take a while to charge? Engine sound but no game start??? Balls in the trough?

#4254 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Bwahahahaha, got ya with the little stuff!
Good job on the NVRAM install! Head into the service menu and set it to freeplay again and you're good to go.

I'm more than happy to have it be something dumb. I've had the nvram for over a month but was hesitant to do it. Battery holder has already been replaced. Did not get a picture yet of what was in it.

#4255 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Never done NVRAM, but doesn't it take a while to charge? Engine sound but no game start??? Balls in the trough?

Can't answer you about the charging, not really sure.
Apparently, in a pay to play environment if you push the start button without putting quarters in it just makes the engine cranking sound, as if your car is having engine trouble and won't start. Switched it to freeplay and all is well.

#4256 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

I'm more than happy to have it be something dumb. I've had the nvram for over a month but was hesitant to do it. Battery holder has already been replaced. Did not get a picture yet of what was in it.

Something dumb: The Jordan Bayless Story

#4257 3 years ago

This-this is what a former owner of my game put inside. Kind of embarrassing that I left it in there this long.

20210127_210059 (resized).jpg20210127_210059 (resized).jpg20210127_210106 (resized).jpg20210127_210106 (resized).jpg
#4258 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

This-this is what a former owner of my game put inside. Kind of embarrassing that I left it in there this long.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Its probably better that he didn't try to solder to the cpu lol

#4259 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Kind of embarrassing that I left it in there this long.

Call me crazy but I don't see anything wrong with this, didn't hurt the game, totally reversible and left the game original. Ok maybe the wires could have been longer and it should have had lithium batteries.

Top 4 reasons for CPU damage in pinball machines:

1. Nicad batteries being charged constantly on the CPU.
2. Changing the formula of Alkaline AA batteries causing them to leak prematurely.
3. Installing leds.
4. Installing NVRAM chips.

#4260 3 years ago

There was a time not so long ago when remote battery holders and bleed capacitors were the only option.
I installed remote battery holders in every game i owned.
I would run the wires down to next to the coin box so i could change them without moving the machine. I would solder short wire male / female plugs at the board so i could remove it.

#4261 3 years ago

I really don't think that's all that bad, lol. Just as grumpy noted.

#4262 3 years ago

Rather ingenious I kinda thought. A bit caveman but it worked I suppose. I actually had a good Laugh when I was that!

#4263 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

A bit caveman but it worked I suppose.

Yeah the gold screw isn't really necessary.

#4264 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yeah the gold screw isn't really necessary.

LOL other than to hold the wire tie that holds the wires.

I love the + - red and black felt tip labeling. And whoever did it had to sand down the pegs to the correct size. A lot of work was put into this.

...AND... did not even cut the wire tie end but neatly wrapped it around. JUST LOL

#4265 3 years ago

That is beautiful! The zip tie flourish is like a bow on top.

#4266 3 years ago

Upgraded my flashers to LEDs. Disconnected the black wire from each of the 330 ohm resistors. Flashers look and work great except for the two red light flashers on left side. Was unable to notice it during game play but in solenoid test they just do one weak "flick". Incans did still work after removing black wire prior to switching bulbs. Anyone have any ideas?

#4267 3 years ago

I may have a remote battery holder for sale.....

#4268 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

except for the two red light flashers on left side.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Anyone have any ideas?

Check the wires for the correct polarity on the bulb sockets.

#4269 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Check the wires for the correct polarity on the bulb sockets.

Will check tonight. Also noticed earlier that the kickback light is now staying on all the time. Don't know if it's related.

#4270 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Also noticed earlier that the kickback light is now staying on all the time. Don't know if it's related.

Shouldn't be related to the flasher issue. You did insulate the ground wires you removed from the resistor boards?

#4271 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Shouldn't be related to the flasher issue. You did insulate the ground wires you removed from the resistor boards?

Yes, shrink wrapped them.

#4272 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Call me crazy but I don't see anything wrong with this, didn't hurt the game, totally reversible and left the game original. Ok maybe the wires could have been longer and it should have had lithium batteries.
Top 4 reasons for CPU damage in pinball machines:
1. Nicad batteries being charged constantly on the CPU.
2. Changing the formula of Alkaline AA batteries causing them to leak prematurely.
3. Installing leds.
4. Installing NVRAM chips.

Curious how installing leds can screw up the cpu

#4273 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Curious how installing leds can screw up the cpu

I have seen this hundreds of times, people installing leds with the power on to see if they like the color and short the lamp matrix to the gi or worse yet to a coil.

#4274 3 years ago

Ahhhh gotcha

#4275 3 years ago

So here we go.
Two steps forward and one step back. While kludging around switching incans and LEDs and trying to do a polarity test that I'm not sure I was doing right ( Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not an electrical engineer!)I actually got the LED flashers working. Turns out my gorilla fingers touching things were jiggling around the upper flasher lamp socket. Said socket is apparently loosely put together and making intermittent connection. I have it stabilized for the moment and working but will need to replace it.

As for my kickback light staying on, now the kickback isn't kicking back(Who doesn't like a little kickback?). Didn't really get to check that yet but noticed it when I played a couple games after my flasher thrashing.

#4276 3 years ago

The sound on my game has been my nemesis for years. The problem is that the background music is much much louder then then other sounds (rollovers, spinners, targets, ect.) Some sounds like the horn and some call-outs are wayyyyy louder then they need to be. I've had the board looked at, I just swapped the aux sound board with a Kohout board (seems to help a little). The only thing that I haven't switched out is the potentiometer. Anyone know what the correct one for Highspeed is and if there should be a resistor in series with the ground (I saw another post suggest this)?

#4277 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

So here we go.
Two steps forward and one step back. While kludging around switching incans and LEDs and trying to do a polarity test that I'm not sure I was doing right ( Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not an electrical engineer!)I actually got the LED flashers working. Turns out my gorilla fingers touching things were jiggling around the upper flasher lamp socket. Said socket is apparently loosely put together and making intermittent connection. I have it stabilized for the moment and working but will need to replace it.
As for my kickback light staying on, now the kickback isn't kicking back(Who doesn't like a little kickback?). Didn't really get to check that yet but noticed it when I played a couple games after my flasher thrashing.

There is a fuse going to the kicker. Start there.

#4278 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

As for my kickback light staying on, now the kickback isn't kicking back

Check the switch in switch test.

#4279 3 years ago
Quoted from detroitzoran:

The sound on my game has been my nemesis for years. The problem is that the background music is much much louder then then other sounds (rollovers, spinners, targets, ect.) Some sounds like the horn and some call-outs are wayyyyy louder then they need to be.

Do you have the correct CPU board in the game?

#4280 3 years ago

Yes I do have the original Williams board.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have the correct CPU board in the game?

#4281 3 years ago

Yes I do have the original Williams board.

Has there been any repairs done to the upper left corner of the cpu board?

#4282 3 years ago

Not going to lie. Only had This game a few months now but wow is it fun to play. It’s sad to say I have played this more than my stern tmnt lately haha. Definitely more forgiving

#4283 3 years ago

Is it normal or not normal for the game to knock when awarded an extra ball? Game was not knocking before but is now. Not sure which way I like it better but could not find how to change it.

#4284 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Is it normal or not normal for the game to knock when awarded an extra ball? Game was not knocking before but is now. Not sure which way I like it better but could not find how to change it.

Does the knocker work in test mode? If so, I had an issue with mine not working during gameplay and this was the solution.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/81#post-5982743

#4285 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Does the knocker work in test mode? If so, I had an issue with mine not working during gameplay and this was the solution.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/81#post-5982743

Yes, I had to change it from credit to extra ball. It knocked before when you were awarded a credit. Now it knocks for a free ball. Just not sure which is "normal".

#4286 3 years ago

It is normal if you win extra ball as high scoreor get the special.

#4287 3 years ago

It does. I don't have the skill myself to work on the boards, so I've had them professional checked out when I get a game.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Has there been any repairs done to the upper left corner of the cpu board?

#4288 3 years ago

How about a pic of the CPU board.

#4289 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:How about a pic of the CPU board.

20210201_080657 (resized).jpg20210201_080657 (resized).jpg20210201_080618 (resized).jpg20210201_080618 (resized).jpg20210201_080640 (resized).jpg20210201_080640 (resized).jpg
#4290 3 years ago

Has anyone here done a CPR playfield swap on a High Speed? Looking at my new PF it does not have any registration marks to place the pivot point hardware. It seems a bit odd for such an important piece that has to be in the right place.

#4291 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Has anyone here done a CPR playfield swap on a High Speed? Looking at my new PF it does not have any registration marks to place the pivot point hardware. It seems a bit odd for such an important piece that has to be in the right place.

I have and I had to measure and compare with the old play field for a number of things. Just take your time and it will be fine.

#4292 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I found the same issue too. I did one recently although it was an older one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-cpr-playfield-swap

#4293 3 years ago

It does. I don't have the skill myself to work on the boards, so I've had them professional checked out when I get a game.

Can you tell me what the colors are on this resistor?

ccc (resized).jpgccc (resized).jpg
#4294 3 years ago

When hitting the flippers my LED flashers get a "flick" most times. Flipper switches look like former owner replaced them. They look new, clean, and spaced properly. Would adding the capacitors that newer flippers use stop the "flicking"?

#4295 3 years ago

R23 looks like it's Gold\Red\Violet\Red. There is one above it and it and it looks like it's a different color, Gold\Orange\Violet\Red.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Can you tell me what the colors are on this resistor?
[quoted image]

20210201_161802 (resized).jpg20210201_161802 (resized).jpg20210201_161840 (resized).jpg20210201_161840 (resized).jpg
#4296 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I found the same issue too. I did one recently although it was an older one:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-cpr-playfield-swap

Thanks both Dewman dmacy , and I will read through that thread. Not a big deal, just surprised such a major feature was missing.

#4297 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I finished a complete #HS restore a few months ago. I had to replace my cabinet as well.

This was my first full restore and CPR playfield swap. Placing the pivots on the PF was not an easy task. I did not have my cabinet when I started the PF swap. The best time to install the pivots is when there are no mechanics on the playfield.

I measured and remeasured many times before finally drilling pilot holes and mounting the pivots. It came out perfect and I was very happy with the results. When lowering the playfield the hangers line up without any extra force to get it aligned.

Just make sure you measure precisely from the old playfield and transfer those measurements to the new one.

IMPORTANT: If yo are measuring from the edge of the new playfield to the hinge point be sure you match up your old PF to the new PF. ANY difference will make your measurements off. Pay particular attention to the shooter lane area. My new CPR playfield was a little different from my old one.

#4298 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

.......Just make sure you measure precisely from the old playfield and transfer those measurements to the new one.
IMPORTANT: If yo are measuring from the edge of the new playfield to the hinge point be sure you match up your old PF to the new PF. ANY difference will make your measurements off. Pay particular attention to the shooter lane area. My new CPR playfield was a little different from my old one.

I planned to it almost first once the old one gets pulled out. Just to check, when you said edge, you meant from the side or from the bottom end?

#4299 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I planned to it almost first once the old one gets pulled out. Just to check, when you said edge, you meant from the side or from the bottom end?

Sorry, I was not very specific.

The cutout on my CPR shooter lane was different than the original PF. Pay close attention to the shooter lane area if you use a tape measure from the end of the playfield (on the shooter side) to where you will be mounting the hinge.

Line up both playfields together and note any difference in the shooter lane areas.

You can measure from either end of the playfield to place the hinge bracket. If the CPR playfield is longer or shorter than the OEM PF you will need to be very careful with your measurements.

#4300 3 years ago

Okay, I replaced the hex buffer at U49. Put it in coil test and no top flashers. Going through the coil tests the remaining coils that were not firing were now firing in test mode except for 19 r. jet bumper. It has been working during game play, so I tried to play a game to test it. As soon as I push start the right kicker locks on until I turn game off. Did that 3 times. Tried to go back into test mode to see if that now showed up. As soon as I start pushing buttons to get to coil test the right pop bumper starts chattering and locking on I think. Turned it off for the night at that point and unplugged it. Did I screw something up or is the replaced hex buffer amplifying another issue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/86?hl=dewman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.