(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 126.
#4151 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

What am I poking with it?

You will be poking at these parts. They are on the CPU board.

U-50 is a TTL level NOR chip. It's truth table is below. Zeros are lows and ones are highs.

Q-78 Is a signal transistor, part # 2n4401

Q-79 Is a Darlington Pair high current transistor. It actually is 2 transistors, 2 resistors and a diode in one package.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4152 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I reversed it so the red on both sides was opposite from what it normally is and that cleared it up.

Sounds like a bad ribbon cable.

#4153 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Could these be not_ non ghosting bulbs?

Yes this is a standard led bulb, it is used in the GI (general illumination). GI doesn't need non ghosting bulbs.

Quoted from Hangernade:

They seem to take turns being bright or dim at random.

The lamp sockets are corroded or loose fitting. You can squeeze the sockets with pliers so the bulbs fit tighter.

#4154 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

A previous owner replaced the two bulbs next to the flippers, one on each side, with leds. They seem to take turns being bright or dim at random. Could these be not_ non ghosting bulbs? Noticed on Comet's bulbs they are marked "NG". Hard to see in pic but the ones I have installed only say 6vac.[quoted image]

Does anything odd happen if you put incandescent bulbs in those spots?
The bulbs under the return frames are GI, not controlled lights, and shouldn't have any chance to "ghost".

#4155 3 years ago

I can't really tell from the pic but is that bulb an old style LED, not an SMD bulb? If so, maybe it's just a crappy bulb. As noted above, I'd try an incandescent as well as a different LED...especially if that's an old style LED. Those things suck. SMD all the way or keep it original with incandescent, IMO.

#4156 3 years ago

Oh, and back on my lamp matrix issues that I posted foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr ago... My friend has had my High Speed for a bit and was finally able to figure out what was wrong. Someone wired the shoot again light incorrectly (wasn't me!) ... so that blew out both the row AND the column, causing all sorts of weird behavior. Fixed now.

When I go and pick it up, I need to install the MRS switch to see if that fully resolves my ramp switch issue...and then I just need to play the sh1t out of it. I miss her.

#4157 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You will be poking at these parts. They are on the CPU board.
U-50 is a TTL level NOR chip. It's truth table is below. Zeros are lows and ones are highs.
Q-78 Is a signal transistor, part # 2n4401
Q-79 Is a Darlington Pair high current transistor. It actually is 2 transistors, 2 resistors and a diode in one package.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have to be honest. I'm good with the items you are talking about. How does one probe them exactly?

#4158 3 years ago

Have to be honest. I'm good with the items you are talking about. How does one probe them exactly?

#4159 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

How does one probe them exactly?

There are 2 clips to connect, the black to ground just to the left of the battery holder and red clip to the 5 volt test point by the ram chip. Set the switch to TTL because that's the logic chips you will be testing. Now you can touch the pointed tip to places that needs testing. So if you place game in solenoid test, and lock it on solenoid #22. The machine will now turn on the enable signal ( U-50 pin 6) and also send a pulsed test signal to U-50 pin 5. The base of Q-78 needs a high signal to turn on. If you look at the truth table for a NOR chip you will see there is only one way to get a high output, you need to have both inputs low. Now with the machine in test, U-50 pin 6 should be low and pin 5 will be high with low pulses. When you test pin 4 you should get a low with a high pulse. If all this test correctly you know that U-50 is working. Then you move on to Q-78 and test. The pin out shows that the middle lead is the base, and if U-50 is working correctly there should be a low with high pulses at Q-78 base lead. If this is correct you move on to the base of Q-79. The pin out shows that the left lead is the base, If Q-78 is working it will have a high pulse going from the collector thru it and out the emitter to Q-79 base lead. If the base of Q-79 has a low with a high pulse on it then you know that Q-78 is working correctly. Lastly probe Q-79 collector while still in solenoid test, You should get a high signal with a low pulse on it. If you don't then the TIP 122 is bad. TIP 122s can be replaced with TIP 102s as they are 60% stronger.

#4160 3 years ago

Has anyone with a clear ramp bothered to mess with the far right rear plastic? It bugs me how it lifts up. Makes sense with the black ramp, but not with clear.. imo

20210115_212540 (resized).jpg20210115_212540 (resized).jpg
#4161 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

There are 2 clips to connect, the black to ground just to the left of the battery holder and red clip to the 5 volt test point by the ram chip. Set the switch to TTL because that's the logic chips you will be testing. Now you can touch the pointed tip to places that needs testing. So if you place game in solenoid test, and lock it on solenoid #22. The machine will now turn on the enable signal ( U-50 pin 6) and also send a pulsed test signal to U-50 pin 5. The base of Q-78 needs a high signal to turn on. If you look at the truth table for a NOR chip you will see there is only one way to get a high output, you need to have both inputs low. Now with the machine in test, U-50 pin 6 should be low and pin 5 will be high with low pulses. When you test pin 4 you should get a low with a high pulse. If all this test correctly you know that U-50 is working. Then you move on to Q-78 and test. The pin out shows that the middle lead is the base, and if U-50 is working correctly there should be a low with high pulses at Q-78 base lead. If this is correct you move on to the base of Q-79. The pin out shows that the left lead is the base, If Q-78 is working it will have a high pulse going from the collector thru it and out the emitter to Q-79 base lead. If the base of Q-79 has a low with a high pulse on it then you know that Q-78 is working correctly. Lastly probe Q-79 collector while still in solenoid test, You should get a high signal with a low pulse on it. If you don't then the TIP 122 is bad. TIP 122s can be replaced with TIP 102s as they are 60% stronger.

Okay, if I'm doing this correctly-
U-50 pin 6 = low
U-50 pin 5 = high
U-50 pin 4 = low

However, I'm not seeing any indication of pulsing. I bought the exact logic probe you have. It looks like the other light should blink for pulses? Can you direct me to something else to check that should pulse just so I can verify that probe works and I can see how pulses are indicated?

#4162 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Okay, if I'm doing this correctly-
U-50 pin 6 = low
U-50 pin 5 = high
U-50 pin 4 = low
However, I'm not seeing any indication of pulsing. I bought the exact logic probe you have. It looks like the other light should blink for pulses? Can you direct me to something else to check that should pulse just so I can verify that probe works and I can see how pulses are indicated?

Sounds like you are doing this correctly to me.

Did you have the game in solenoid test? On solenoid #22?

#4163 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sounds like you are doing this correctly to me.
Did you have the game in solenoid test? On solenoid #22?

Yes, coil 22. Top flasher.

#4164 3 years ago

Try this again on a working coil for a logic probe test. Do solenoid #21 this time.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNG
#4168 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Yes, coil 22. Top flasher.

Do you have the pulse/mem switch set to pulse?

#4169 3 years ago

Using the same U-50 chip and same pins I am getting the same results.

U-50 pin 6 L
U-50 pin 5 H
U-50 pin 4 L
No pulsing.

I've included pics so you can make sure I'm doing it correctly.

20210117_142434 (resized).jpg20210117_142434 (resized).jpg20210117_142527 (resized).jpg20210117_142527 (resized).jpg20210117_142532 (resized).jpg20210117_142532 (resized).jpg20210117_142553 (resized).jpg20210117_142553 (resized).jpg20210117_142612 (resized).jpg20210117_142612 (resized).jpg20210117_142656 (resized).jpg20210117_142656 (resized).jpg
#4170 3 years ago

When you check a different solenoid the pins on U-50 are different and so are the transistors.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4171 3 years ago

Okay, I'll take the hit on testing the wrong pins. Went back and did it again.

U-50 pin 3 L
U-50 pin 2 H
U-50 pin 1 L
Again, no pulsing.

I did poke a few random pins to test as to whether or not probe is registering them. I did find a pin that made it pulse.

#4172 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Okay, I'll take the hit on testing the wrong pins. Went back and did it again.
U-50 pin 3 L
U-50 pin 2 H
U-50 pin 1 L
Again, no pulsing.
I did poke a few random pins to test as to whether or not probe is registering them. I did find a pin that made it pulse.

When you were on solenoid 21 test, was the lower pop bumper firing? Did you see the green/red arrows on the probe alternating while testing?

#4173 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

When you were on solenoid 21 test, was the lower pop bumper firing? Did you see the green/red arrows on the probe alternating while testing?

Nothing was firing and don't think arrows were alternating. The pulse light flickered once or twice but that's all.

#4174 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Nothing was firing and don't think arrows were alternating. The pulse light flickered once or twice but that's all.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Start the solenoid test over again from the beginning, note down which solenoids don't work.

#4175 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Now we are getting somewhere.
Start the solenoid test over again from the beginning, note down which solenoids don't work.

Interesting. Seems that 17 through 22 are not working in test mode. Guess I should check it regularly!

#4176 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Seems that 17 through 22 are not working in test mode.

Ok, this is what I was thinking was going on. Lets go back one chip and do some more testing. Put the game back in solenoid test for #22. Find U-49 and tests pins 13 and 12. Both should be pulsing in test.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4177 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Ok, this is what I was thinking was going on. Lets go back one chip and do some more testing. Put the game back in solenoid test for #22. Find U-49 and tests pins 13 and 12. Both should be pulsing in test.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Both test high with no pulse.

#4178 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Both test high with no pulse.

Since the inputs for U-49 come from three different chips which I doubt all three are bad at the same time so I'm going to assume that U-49 is bad. If you had a pair of electronics mini shear cutters I would have you cut U-49 pin 13 in half. This would isolate U-49 from U-54. Then you could test the trace instead of the chip leg for the pulses.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4179 3 years ago

I see from you CPU pics that U-51 and U-54 are both in sockets, you could remove both chips and swap them. Then retest for pulses on U-49 as before. But you need to be very careful when removing and installing chips so you don't damage the chips or sockets.

#4180 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I see from you CPU pics that U-51 and U-54 are both in sockets, you could remove both chips and swap them. Then retest for pulses on U-49 as before. But you need to be very careful when removing and installing chips so you don't damage the chips or sockets.

Swapped chips. Both still test high with no pulse. Still no coil firing during test.

#4181 3 years ago

So then U-49 must be bad. Are you capable of this type of repair?

#4182 3 years ago

Also have you tried the top flashers in a game? Just because they don't work in solenoid test doesn't mean they wont work during a game now that you fixed the bulb socket.

#4183 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

So then U-49 must be bad. Are you capable of this type of repair?

Unsolder and resolder U-49? Going to need to be. Also have an nvram socket to install. Bought the cheap ass solder sucker off Amazon. Soldered lots of crap over the years, but don't recall working on circuit boards before.

#4184 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Also have you tried the top flashers in a game? Just because they don't work in solenoid test doesn't mean they wont work during a game now that you fixed the bulb socket.

Yes, been playing game a lot. No flashers during play.

#4185 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Yes, been playing game a lot. No flashers during play.

Ok so put the game in solenoid test on #22. Probe U-50 pin 5, then push one of the 2 upper play field switches that trigger the upper flashers. Does pin 5 switch from high to low?

#4186 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Ok so put the game in solenoid test on #22. Probe U-50 pin 5, then push one of the 2 upper play field switches that trigger the upper flashers. Does pin 5 switch from high to low?

The rollovers? Negative.

#4187 3 years ago

Normally the 6 special solenoids are controlled by a switch on the playfield, but this special solenoid is controlled by the computer. Which means U-49 has to work for these flasher to work during game play. The other 5 special solenoids has playfield switches so they work during a game but not in test. If you want to do a final test you can hook up a jumper wire to the ground braid and touch the other end to the connector J-19 pin 9. If the driver and predriver and the nor chip are working the flash lamps will light when pin 9 is grounded.

#4188 3 years ago

Anyone have a left side outlane plastic - mine is cracked.

Maybe someone bought the whole plastic kit and can sell me just this piece?

I don't need the metal piece just the plastic.

left high speed plastic (resized).JPGleft high speed plastic (resized).JPG Added over 3 years ago:

item found - thanks all who repsonded

#4189 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

[quoted image]

Check ebay.
So someone had each piece (more or less) listed individually.

Edit:
Found the listing for the right side:

ebay.com link: Williams High Speed Pinball Machine Inlane Plastic 541 9 FREE SHIP

#4190 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Normally the 6 special solenoids are controlled by a switch on the playfield, but this special solenoid is controlled by the computer. Which means U-49 has to work for these flasher to work during game play. The other 5 special solenoids has playfield switches so they work during a game but not in test. If you want to do a final test you can hook up a jumper wire to the ground braid and touch the other end to the connector J-19 pin 9. If the driver and predriver and the nor chip are working the flash lamps will light when pin 9 is grounded.

Yes it does flash when jumped this way. So I'm replacing U-49? What is it called and where can I find one?

#4191 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Yes it does flash when jumped this way. So I'm replacing U-49? What is it called and where can I find one?

This a hex buffer amplifier.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7407

#4192 3 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Check ebay.
So someone had each piece (more or less) listed individually.
Edit:
Found the listing for the right side:
ebay.com link » Williams High Speed Pinball Machine Inlane Plastic 541 9 Free Ship

Yep - right I need left - saw that already

#4193 3 years ago

Here is a wanted ad - now for the plastic - hope someone did a restore and has the old one laying around.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/108825

***found*** thanks all who responded

#4194 3 years ago

For .85 each is it worth buying extras? Haven't checked the shipping yet.

#4195 3 years ago

Hi all, I have been working some on a cpu board. Everything works when playing but when you go to diagnostic mode at first none of the special solenoids would fire. I replace Q72 and Q73 along with Q 79 and Q 78. Now everything but the R pop works in diagnostic mode. I was looking at the caps to the one side of them and it looks like they are soldered on top each other. Is this a normal thing or what is going on there? It also to me looks like C 70 isn't as it should be. This is also in the circuit that has issues. I'm mainly wondering is this normal for this board? I forgot that I also replace u45 and u49

Thanks in advance.

Troy

IMG_20210118_195735 (resized).jpgIMG_20210118_195735 (resized).jpg

#4196 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

For .85 each is it worth buying extras? Haven't checked the shipping yet.

I usually buy a few of everything I get to make shipping seem better. You could add some 2n4401, TIP 102, 1n4007 for the future.

#4197 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

Hi all, I have been working some on a cpu board. Everything works when playing but when you go to diagnostic mode at first none of the special solenoids would fire. I replace Q72 and Q73 along with Q 79 and Q 78. Now everything but the R pop works in diagnostic mode. I was looking at the caps to the one side of them and it looks like they are soldered on top each other. Is this a normal thing or what is going on there? It also to me looks like C 70 isn't as it should be. This is also in the circuit that has issues. I'm mainly wondering is this normal for this board? I forgot that I also replace u45 and u49
Thanks in advance.
Troy
[quoted image]

You have a late run 11a board. Those are zener diodes that were added from the factory as an improvement to the board. The 11A boards have a place on the circuit board for the zener diodes with labeling.

C-70 should have a zener on it just like the other 5, but this is not the cause of your issue.

#4198 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You have a late run 11a board. Those are zener diodes that were added from the factory as an improvement to the board. The 11A boards have a place on the circuit board for the zener diodes with labeling.
C-70 should have a zener on it just like the other 5, but this is not the cause of your issue.

Thanks Grumpy, so would you suggest putting a zener on top of c 70? And what would be the specs? I wasn't sure what was going on with this.

#4199 3 years ago

Going to put my ignorance out here for all to see.... Can anyone point out which chip I am removing to install an nvram socket/chip?

#4200 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

[quoted image]

I probably have that piece. I did replace my whole set. I am out of town until Next sunday but will check when I get home.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.