(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,876 posts
  • 308 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by monkfe
  • Topic is favorited by 151 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 685 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SR2a (resized).jpg
20191118_174435 (resized).jpg
20191118_174512 (resized).jpg
20191118_174453 (resized).jpg
20191118_145309 (resized).jpg
20CAAA4D-713B-4F86-B9D6-F8013D3B8F0B (resized).jpeg
4A5863B2-6619-4C70-BE25-5859C09EF9CE (resized).jpeg
8636D84D-09EE-4695-979F-472D2FB10CCE (resized).jpeg
B394B150-11DC-461A-9DF5-61A70B4FF93E (resized).jpeg
334DDCD7-A970-4029-B5DD-03DEEB52D6B3 (resized).jpeg
0D077502-72E8-413B-9944-2093AFB6EEBE (resized).jpeg
3897B04D-B097-45E5-A2D3-AC29573B7548 (resized).jpeg
0BF90B99-0F0B-47E3-BB41-28E3C62AB44E (resized).jpeg
20190819_080328 (resized).jpg
20190805_135550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191031_172626 (resized).jpg

There are 2876 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 58.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I don't think those will work....but I could be wrong.

your right, instead I'am going to just use flush screws and locknuts. The ramp is to fragile to be putting pressure. too bad the damn support brackets are all riveted on, sucks. Anybody got some tips to when installing the ramp? I know someone on here has done it (replaced there ramp). Please chim in

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

your right, instead I'am going to just use flush screws and locknuts. The ramp is to fragile to be putting pressure. too bad the damn support brackets are all riveted on, sucks. Anybody got some tips to when installing the ramp? I know someone on here has done it (replaced there ramp). Please chim in

I'll be doing my HS swap in the next week or two, I can help more at that point.

#353 5 years ago

I did it with a HF press modded with the pinrestore upgrade kit. Sorry, can't see a different way. For those planning to do the same, take note that the die provided with the kit is not long enough to rivet ramps, you need the long one too.

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

I did it with a HF press modded with the pinrestore upgrade kit. Sorry, can't see a different way. For those planning to do the same, take note that the die provided with the kit is not long enough to rivet ramps, you need the long one too.

ya some of the areas are in tough spots, where if not familiar with riveting you can mess up a new ramp! Screws and locknuts for me. You cant see those anyways! If theres other options or tips, lets here it.

#355 5 years ago

In Case anyone is still looking for these, they look very close to original. Not my listing..

ebay.com link

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

In Case anyone is still looking for these, they look very close to original. Not my listing..
ebay.com link

Its a bad time to be trying to sell original ones right now.

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

ebay.com link

The black strips on the outer ring do not seems to have depth. Hot stamped....hmmmm?

#358 5 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

The black strips on the outer ring do not seems to have depth. Hot stamped....hmmmm?

Hard to tell from the pics, but for many many hs owners, these repro's are better than what they have in the game currently.

#359 5 years ago

I'm sure 99% of the people who own or would play a HS would even know or care that there is a minor difference between the originals and reproductions. I sure wouldn't care. lol

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

I'm sure 99% of the people who own or would play a HS would even know or care that there is a minor difference between the originals and reproductions. I sure wouldn't care. lol

Agree. Lots of folks looking for unbroken caps! Glad to see these are getting out there.

#361 5 years ago

The biggest key to me is that the caps are the semi transparent opaque red and not clear red, the stripes appear very smooth on the surface, but unless you look close and know pinball I don't think anyone would know. I wonder if that W is licensed, LOL. I say grab them while they're hot!

#362 5 years ago

I think all of his products are licensed. These caps don't appear opaque, more of a solid red to me. I would buy them if I needed them. I bought his Space Shuttle and Firepower caps and I'm pleased with them.

#363 5 years ago

CPR playfield rebuild is going well.
New GI sockets stapled, assemblies cleaned and installed, light matrix harness cleaned and installed.
I also riveted new targets faces on all 15 standup targets, transfering switch matrix harness tomorrow.
light matrix done.jpg

#364 5 years ago

Switch matrix harness cleaned and installed.

switch harness done.jpg

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

Switch matrix harness cleaned and installed.

switch harness done.jpg 193 KB

Looking better then new.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looking better then new.

You bet... I re-installed all mechanical parts using my brain instead of relying on dimples.
Everything is lined up perfectly. Coils are moving freely.

When aligning parts with dimples, there's too much friction in the coils, kickers are knocking the wood, lane switches are not centered...

#367 5 years ago

Question about outer orbit shots. I am a proud HS owner and never had a problem with this but a friend (whom will remain nameless) refuses to play my game b/c of what he feels is a faulty left orbit shoot. On my machine if you hit the left orbit, it drops the ball into the pops instead of looping the entire way around. He insists that this left orbit shot is supposed to go around and deliver the ball to the 3rd flipper. The right orbit (on my machine at least) does take the ball all the away around.

I have not really played another HS machines at great length and was wondering if the left orbit should be bringing the ball all-the-way around to the 3rd flipper. Or if the left orbit is just supposed to deliver the ball to the pops like mine does?

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Question about outer orbit shots. I am a proud HS owner and never had a problem with this but a friend (whom will remain nameless) refuses to play my game b/c of what he feels is a faulty left orbit shoot. On my machine if you hit the left orbit, it drops the ball into the pops instead of looping the entire way around. He insists that this left orbit shot is supposed to go around and deliver the ball to the 3rd flipper. The right orbit (on my machine at least) does take the ball all the away around.
I have not really played another HS machines at great length and was wondering if the left orbit should be bringing the ball all-the-way around to the 3rd flipper. Or if the left orbit is just supposed to deliver the ball to the pops like mine does?

Oh that's a good question, I'll have to look for that when my game comes next week.

#369 5 years ago

A strong shot to the left orbit does go all the way to the third flipper on my HS.

#370 5 years ago

yea you should have no problem getting the ball around the left orbit. could it be a weak flipper? (shooting from the lower right flipper i assume)

#371 5 years ago

Mine does both. Weak flipper. Make sure your star roll overs are not slowing the ball in that upper lane, Could also be build up of dirt there too. I still have my original playfield in the game. I'm hoping to do the flipper mod to help with this.

#372 5 years ago

Its not the flipper being weak. I have rebuilt all 3 of them. I am thinking more on the lines of Roll over needs cleaned up or the mylar up there is slowing the ball down. I never noticed as it always hits the same rubber and drops into the pops, I thought the King of Flow designed it that way to get more pop action.

#373 5 years ago

My HS sends the ball around both ways and another example I have played did the same. Get someone to play while you watch and look for something subtle. What about the very long stretched double rubber along the back of the playfield. If that sticks out into the ball path even a little the ball will not coast along it would be deflected down.

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

My HS sends the ball around both ways and another example I have played did the same. Get someone to play while you watch and look for something subtle. What about the very long stretched double rubber along the back of the playfield. If that sticks out into the ball path even a little the ball will not coast along it would be deflected down.

Thanks for the info. when I got the machine, I cleaned everything and replaced all rubbers and rebuilt all my flippers. I don't have my machine in front of me but I think there may be mylar up there or that roll over may need cleaned or adjusted.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

A strong shot to the left orbit does go all the way to the third flipper on my HS.

For sure. This is the only way I can semi-reliably hit the ramp shot.

#376 5 years ago

I will be getting my High Speed delivered next Wednesday. Played it when I went to look at it to buy and loved it despite it's age and wear. Hope to fully restore it with a new playfield in the future.

#377 5 years ago

I'm now in the club (thanks to a great transaction with ajbalch). Unfortunately, the ceiling in my basement is too low to allow for the topper so I had to take it off for now.
Has anyone seen a low-profile replacement or even have an idea on what I could wire in? I have about 3 1/2 inches above the backbox and the topper (I believe) is closer to 5.
I was also thinking of just extending the existing wiring and either hanging it on the side of the backbox (in a way that doesn't damage the wood) or perhaps mounting it on the wall next to the pin. Thoughts?

Here is a pic I took last night that shows my extremely limited clearance.

DSC05944.JPG
#378 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

Has anyone seen a low-profile replacement or even have an idea on what I could wire in?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-blue-led-police-flasher-mod-4-sale

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

That looks cool, but he said it blew up when he wired it to a High Speed.

More of an idea. I would go with a step down converter and some 12V LED's

#381 5 years ago

I'm excited to announce to HS fans that new aprons will finally be made available to replace old rusted or arches with damaged artwork. I've got a for sale thread going on in the market place if anyone is interested. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-ball-archapron-remakes#post-1515821
HighSpeed Apron-608.jpg

#382 5 years ago

I need to get my high speed level. I got out the little degree device thing and it looks like mine is at 4.5, which is pretty far away from 6 ish

#383 5 years ago

Yeah that's a little slow. Mine is right at 6 and I like it there.

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

I'm now in the club (thanks to a great transaction with ajbalch). Unfortunately, the ceiling in my basement is too low to allow for the topper so I had to take it off for now.
Has anyone seen a low-profile replacement or even have an idea on what I could wire in? I have about 3 1/2 inches above the backbox and the topper (I believe) is closer to 5.

Have you considered yet to get shorter legs or modify the existing ones? I mean if you are short by only one and a half or two inches, one shouldn't notice if the cabinet is slightly lowered.

#385 5 years ago
Quoted from Wookbert:

Have you considered yet to get shorter legs or modify the existing ones? I mean if you are short by only one and a half or two inches, one shouldn't notice if the cabinet is slightly lowered.

I had not thought of that, good call. After thinking about it myself last night, I think I'm just going to extend the wires about a foot and mount the topper on a small shelf in between the two pin backboxes. I think that will still look pretty cool. I will post a pic after I get it done.
Thanks

#386 5 years ago

Tech question: I did notice that after I get one ball locked for multiball, the second ball kicks into the shooter lane... then about one second later a second ball kicks into the shooter lane (the third ball). If you don't shoot the first ball immediately, you end up with two balls simultaneously in the lane.
Now, if you shoot them out it lets you play a normal 3 ball multiball without error... but I'm thinking this is not the way it is supposed to function.
Any thoughts on what I should start checking to see what is causing this?

#387 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

I had not thought of that, good call. After thinking about it myself last night, I think I'm just going to extend the wires about a foot and mount the topper on a small shelf in between the two pin backboxes. I think that will still look pretty cool. I will post a pic after I get it done.
Thanks

The light revolves so your going to pull all that out and make a box to house the motor right. Sounds like a project.

#388 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

Tech question: I did notice that after I get one ball locked for multiball, the second ball kicks into the shooter lane... then about one second later a second ball kicks into the shooter lane (the third ball). If you don't shoot the first ball immediately, you end up with two balls simultaneously in the lane.
Now, if you shoot them out it lets you play a normal 3 ball multiball without error... but I'm thinking this is not the way it is supposed to function.
Any thoughts on what I should start checking to see what is causing this?

When you fire up your game are you getting and switch errors? It sound like the game spits out the first ball and the lane switch isn't registering properly so the game doesn't think it kicked a ball out, so it kicks out a second ball. I would test to make sure your switch is registering properly.

#389 5 years ago

When you fire up your game are you getting and switch errors? It sound like the game spits out the first ball and the lane switch isn't registering properly so the game doesn't think it kicked a ball out, so it kicks out a second ball. I would test to make sure your switch is registering properly.

That would be my guess also. It should be giving you time to shoot that second ball into the lock.

I think you should also get the car tires squealing away sound whenever you plunge a ball (except maybe when feeding them to the locks for multiball?). So if that isn't happening, just more evidence that the switch isn't working.

#390 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The light revolves so your going to pull all that out and make a box to house the motor right. Sounds like a project.

I knew it revolved, but did not think about needing to enclose the motor, I will have to reconnect and see exactly what I will be dealing with.

No errors when I fire up the game, but I will definitely test the switch. Thanks.

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

That would be my guess also. It should be giving you time to shoot that second ball into the lock.
I think you should also get the car tires squealing away sound whenever you plunge a ball (except maybe when feeding them to the locks for multiball?). So if that isn't happening, just more evidence that the switch isn't working.

I do get the tires squealing sound when I shoot a ball. It only seems to happen when you have one ball locked. I'll do a little testing and see if I can narrow this down. Thanks for the direction so far.

Edit: What you said just made me wonder if maybe the switch for the left ball lock is stuck on... if that is what triggers the launch of the third ball. Something else to check.

#392 5 years ago

I just sold my High Speed AND my Getaway at the APE show in Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago.

I got the High Speed in 1992 and the Getaway in 2006. Both awesome machines - I had a lot of fun working on them and playing them over the years.

High Speed in particular was very near and dear to my heart. I learned a great deal from troubleshooting and fixing that machine. The background music is so 80's but it really sticks in your head...

I've owned and sold many machines in that time but I always kept High Speed. The only machine that I've had longer and still have is Space Shuttle (bought in 1986). I always have machines loaned out to friends and try to rotate them every so often. Keeping them running is relatively easy and it is cheap storage in my book. Plus, they get played.

I sold High Speed to a local guy I met at the show - his first machine. He was very excited to get it home and setup to play. I spent a great deal of time explaining how it works and showing him how to set it up and work on it - just as some great folks did for me back in the day.

The Getaway went to a friend of a friend who was super excited to take it home as well.

So I guess it is too late to join this club - at least for now...

#393 5 years ago

(Asking the pinball gods to allow me into the club in the next few months...)
-mof

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

(Asking the pinball gods to allow me into the club in the next few months...)
-mof

Pictures....or it won't happen.

#395 5 years ago
Quoted from dbf909:

I just sold my High Speed AND my Getaway at the APE show in Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago.
I got the High Speed in 1992 and the Getaway in 2006. Both awesome machines - I had a lot of fun working on them and playing them over the years.
High Speed in particular was very near and dear to my heart. I learned a great deal from troubleshooting and fixing that machine. The background music is so 80's but it really sticks in your head...
I've owned and sold many machines in that time but I always kept High Speed. The only machine that I've had longer and still have is Space Shuttle (bought in 1986). I always have machines loaned out to friends and try to rotate them every so often. Keeping them running is relatively easy and it is cheap storage in my book. Plus, they get played.
I sold High Speed to a local guy I met at the show - his first machine. He was very excited to get it home and setup to play. I spent a great deal of time explaining how it works and showing him how to set it up and work on it - just as some great folks did for me back in the day.
The Getaway went to a friend of a friend who was super excited to take it home as well.
So I guess it is too late to join this club - at least for now...

You'll be back.

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

I knew it revolved, but did not think about needing to enclose the motor, I will have to reconnect and see exactly what I will be dealing with.

No errors when I fire up the game, but I will definitely test the switch. Thanks.

Yeah, the motor hangs from the top board in the bb. Gonna be a fun project.

#397 5 years ago
Quoted from CASTHOF:

Made some good progress today, has anyone else made fresh white oak side rails for the game? I'm about to start looking... 1/2"x1-1/8". Other than that, topside was a total breeze. I know I will pay for it on the bottom side.

image.jpg 306 KB

I didn't like the wood tone side rails so I painted mine gloss black. My swap is done with the exception of the ramp... I'm going to fabricate a new one out of clear PETG that will accept either a paint scheme or decals.

Black Rails.JPG
#398 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I didn't like the wood tone side rails so I painted mine gloss black. My swap is done with the exception of the ramp... I'm going to fabricate a new one out of clear PETG that will accept either a paint scheme or decals.

Black Rails.JPG 105 KB

Does that look NICE!! Great job. And while the game is out put some Comet brand red "Crystal Fan" bulbs in the pops, they are GREAT.

#399 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah, the motor hangs from the top board in the bb. Gonna be a fun project.

Actually I just looked at it again last night. The hole on the top of the backbox that it mounts to is about 4" in diameter (just guessing, didn't actually measure it), I was thinking I could just buy the right size hole saw and pop a hole in the little shelf, screw it to the bottom of that like it is mounted in the machine. The motor itself is enclosed and pretty small.

Update on my double kick out issue with multiball. Ran the switch test last night and no stuck switches. Ran the switch edge test and hand tested all the switches, they all registered properly.
I locked a ball in the kick out hole instead of a hideout and that started a 2 ball multiball properly. Only seems to be an issue if I lock a ball in the hideout to start multiball. Then it kicks out the first in to the shooter lane, waits about a second (which is enough time to launch the first ball if you are quick), then kicks a second ball in to the shooter lane.
Again I am assuming this is not the normal function since I am new to this machine.
Thoughts?

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

Actually I just looked at it again last night. The hole on the top of the backbox that it mounts to is about 4" in diameter (just guessing, didn't actually measure it), I was thinking I could just buy the right size hole saw and pop a hole in the little shelf, screw it to the bottom of that like it is mounted in the machine. The motor itself is enclosed and pretty small.

Yup that's what I was thinking too and just glue 3 pieces of wood around the motor to hide it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
There are 2876 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 58.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside