(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,217 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 233 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240322_224012722 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240322_224010527 (resized).jpg
IMG_6217 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240317_215329874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240317_215316114 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 125.
#3701 3 years ago

Those switches suck. I can't ever get mine right. I've learned to live with it.

#3702 3 years ago

The diverter operates both arms at the same time. I think if 1 is not working neither would the other.

#3703 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

The diverter operates both arms at the same time. I think if 1 is not working neither would the other.

I guess that's true. If one hits a snag, neither will work.

So we're back to switch adjustment hell. Have fun!

#3704 3 years ago

I believe the game is supposed to alternate what side it sends it to. The first switch has to be adjusted perfect and really sensitive so it has time to send it to the left side. Mine is pretty close but it occasionally misses. If you are curious...Here's where I streamed it on father's day. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/657295315

#3705 3 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

I believe the game is supposed to alternate what side it sends it to.

`

Yes this is the type of play that I expect when I play this or at least its what i remember.

#3706 3 years ago

Sounds about right re: alternating. And agreed on gapping that first switch tightly.. But you have to be careful not to adjust it too tight or THEN it'll register hits when you smack the ramp hard. Welcome to the forever conundrum that makes this whole setup a nightmare.

I've gone back and forth trying to gap it correctly on the original ramp, freeplay40 adjusted and shipped back with the new ramp and I still had issues, and I've gone back and forth since. Total nightmare. If you find that sweet spot..hold your breath and don't ever even THINK about it again..or it'll knock itself out of alignment just to spite you.

#3707 3 years ago

Hi I have an odd issue, at least on my end it seems. I have 2 high speeds. The one I have had for years and it playing fine. The other I'm redoing and going with a hard top. The issue is with the solenoid tests. With the new project in testing the special solenoids dont fire. After looking in the manual this is normal. My other High speed all of the special solenoids fire. The project all special solenoids fire in the game just not in test. I'm just wondering what could be the difference? I need to look but I am pretty sure the rom ver is the are the newest in each.

#3708 3 years ago
Quoted from joew575:

The blue would need to be 1 1/2” the red would need to be 1 1/8” and the purple is where it needs to go from 1 1/2” to 1 1/8”. I would gladly get you more measurements what ever you need
[quoted image]

Really what I need is for someone to do the shape work for me since I don't have access to the pin. I'd want a complete properly sized paper template that was either mailed to me or scanned in high resolution and sent to me. Then I could easily create the road graphic.

#3709 3 years ago

Been playing my recently fully restored High Speed. Several minor adjustments I have had to make, but nothing major.

However I have had 1 issue that I have not been able to resolve until today.

The Left outline kickback was launching balls into the air hitting the wire ball cage about 65% of the time. I thought it was the solenoid plunger alignment so I have been trying to make minor adjustments over the last couple weeks. Nothing I did fixed the problem.

Today I finally had enough. This needed to be fixed!

After fiddling with the solenoid some more I ran the ball up the outline by hand and noticed the playfield cutout for the wire switch would raise the ball just ever so slightly as I moved it up the outlane. This has to be it.

The ball sometimes lines up with the cutout and then catches the slight rise and launches ever so slightly as it travels back up the outline. I went in with 600 grit sandpaper and sanded down the rise.

IMG_0454 (resized).JPGIMG_0454 (resized).JPG

BINGO! That fixed it. Such a simple fix but so hard to detect.

Thought I would post this here to help anyone else that may have this problem or encounter it after a Playfield restore. This was a CPR playfield.

#3710 3 years ago

Im moving on to the next phase of my pre Hardtop tear down. Ramp assembly and prep for rotisserie.
Any chance there is a known tutorial for the ramp assembly? I am no pro. First Hardtop attempt. The assembly looks to be a little more involved than id anticipated. I was going to start with my Black Knight but it has been out for board work for too long now.

20200627_212757 (resized).jpg20200627_212757 (resized).jpg20200627_212804 (resized).jpg20200627_212804 (resized).jpg20200627_211725 (resized).jpg20200627_211725 (resized).jpg

#3711 3 years ago

I do not know of any tutorial for the ramp assembly.

Best thing to do is take tons of pictures before, during, and more during!

I have lots of pics and can help if you get in a jam.

It is not as difficult as you may feel.

I did a complete play field swap. have never done a hardtop.

#3712 3 years ago

“I'd want a complete properly sized paper template that was either mailed to me or scanned in high resolution and sent to me. Then I could easily create the road graphic.”

Pm me your address and I’ll send you this template.

AE1F2E09-CAB4-480F-9C8B-AA1A4F80AD90 (resized).jpegAE1F2E09-CAB4-480F-9C8B-AA1A4F80AD90 (resized).jpeg
#3713 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'd want a complete properly sized paper template that was either mailed to me or scanned in high resolution and sent to me. Then I could easily create the road graphic.

Pm me your address and I’ll send you this template. Thanks

DDC771B7-AA7D-4F51-9A8D-BAD961818BEA (resized).jpegDDC771B7-AA7D-4F51-9A8D-BAD961818BEA (resized).jpeg
#3714 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Been playing my recently fully restored High Speed. Several minor adjustments I have had to make, but nothing major.
However I have had 1 issue that I have not been able to resolve until today.
The Left outline kickback was launching balls into the air hitting the wire ball cage about 65% of the time. I thought it was the solenoid plunger alignment so I have been trying to make minor adjustments over the last couple weeks. Nothing I did fixed the problem.

Today I finally had enough. This needed to be fixed!
After fiddling with the solenoid some more I ran the ball up the outline by hand and noticed the playfield cutout for the wire switch would raise the ball just ever so slightly as I moved it up the outlane. This has to be it.

The ball sometimes lines up with the cutout and then catches the slight rise and launches ever so slightly as it travels back up the outline. I went in with 600 grit sandpaper and sanded down the rise.
[quoted image]
BINGO! That fixed it. Such a simple fix but so hard to detect.
Thought I would post this here to help anyone else that may have this problem or encounter it after a Playfield restore. This was a CPR playfield.

I would have lowered the switch arm first before sanding and from the video it appears the plunger hits the ball too low. I would bend the bracket to raise the coil angle

#3715 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I would have lowered the switch arm first before sanding and from the video it appears the plunger hits the ball too low. I would bend the bracket to raise the coil angle

Oh Believe me, I Thought it was plunger alignment as well. I adjusted the alignment up and down, side to side and the problem never went away. If you watch closely the ball launches at the end of the playfield switch cutout not before.

After all my changes to the alignment it never got better. I thought about moving the switch and changing the timing on when the ball was hit.

The strange part was the ball was only launching in the air about 65% of the time. It was not happening every time. That is what lead me to believe it was not the alignment. I discovered this was because if the ball went back up the lane and did not line up with the playfield switch cutout it would not launch into the air since it would miss the bump at the end of the cutout.

By slightly sanding the end of the playfield cutout to create a more gradual rise so the ball no longer jumps up.

This is why I posted this unusual issue. It took me a while to diagnose and thought others would benefit from knowing about this.

If there was not a Kickback in this lane this bump would not be an issue since the ball would never be shot back hitting the cutout bump.
It was not the playfield. It was from the clear coat buildup around the cutout. When you spray clear on a playfield it tends to "build" and gather around openings. This is what happened here. As soon as that "extra" clear coat was removed, so was the ball launch problem.

After sanding the bump just ever so slightly I have not had one air ball. The problem was the clear coat bump.

#3716 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Oh Believe me, I Thought it was plunger alignment as well. I adjusted the alignment up and down, side to side and the problem never went away. If you watch closely the ball launches at the end of the playfield switch cutout not before.
After all my changes to the alignment it never got better. I thought about moving the switch and changing the timing on when the ball was hit.
The strange part was the ball was only launching in the air about 65% of the time. It was not happening every time. That is what lead me to believe it was not the alignment. I discovered this was because if the ball went back up the lane and did not line up with the playfield switch cutout it would not launch into the air since it would miss the bump at the end of the cutout.
By slightly sanding the end of the playfield cutout to create a more gradual rise so the ball no longer jumps up.
This is why I posted this unusual issue. It took me a while to diagnose and thought others would benefit from knowing about this.
If there was not a Kickback in this lane this bump would not be an issue since the ball would never be shot back hitting the cutout bump.
It was not the playfield. It was from the clear coat buildup around the cutout. When you spray clear on a playfield it tends to "build" and gather around openings. This is what happened here. As soon as that "extra" clear coat was removed, so was the ball launch problem.
After sanding the bump just ever so slightly I have not had one air ball. The problem was the clear coat bump.

Wow, I shocked that the clearcoat made that much of a difference. I could see the wireform switch being too high and it launching the ball. This is just my opinion on what I see in the video, the plunger is striking the ball at a downward angle causing that ball to launch into to the slot. Now you have the better angles and I hope you solved it and I don't run into this same issue on my restoration.

#3717 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Wow, I shocked that the clearcoat made that much of a difference. I could see the wireform switch being too high and it launching the ball. This is just my opinion on what I see in the video, the plunger is striking the ball at a downward angle causing that ball to launch into to the slot. Now you have the better angles and I hope you solved it and I don't run into this same issue on my restoration.

The Switch wire does not have enough resistance to launch the ball. The ball is just too heavy to be affected by the wire. Looking close at the slow motion the ball does not even get past the wire. As soon as the wire it presses the kickback solenoid fires.

Yea, this issue stumped me for a while. I messed with the solenoid bracket a bunch and it never got better. It was very frustrating. I inserted spacers below the bracket, checked and rechecked the alignment, you name it. Nothing changed. 65% airballs.

I then thought what changed to make this start doing this? The playfield is the only thing that is new. Every other part is the same. I moved the ball by hand up the lane and noticed quite a lift in the ball as it passed over the end of the playfield switch cutout. I looked closer and sure enough there was clear coat buildup. I checked the old play field and it did not do this. That is when I decided to lightly sand down the clear coat.

Like I said, it would not be a problem if there was no kickback here.

I find it hard to imagine I am the first to have this issue. Next time I do a restore with a kickback this will get extra attention from me before assembly.

#3718 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

The Switch wire does not have enough resistance to launch the ball. The ball is just too heavy to be affected by the wire. Looking close at the slow motion the ball does not even get past the wire. As soon as the wire it presses the kickback solenoid fires.
Yea, this issue stumped me for a while. I messed with the solenoid bracket a bunch and it never got better. It was very frustrating. I inserted spacers below the bracket, checked and rechecked the alignment, you name it. Nothing changed. 65% airballs.
I then thought what changed to make this start doing this? The playfield is the only thing that is new. Every other part is the same. I moved the ball by hand up the lane and noticed quite a lift in the ball as it passed over the end of the playfield switch cutout. I looked closer and sure enough there was clear coat buildup. I checked the old play field and it did not do this. That is when I decided to lightly sand down the clear coat.
Like I said, it would not be a problem if there was no kickback here.
I find it hard to imagine I am the first to have this issue. Next time I do a restore with a kickback this will get extra attention from me before assembly.

Solid find on your end in troubleshooting for a solution. I am sure I will have the same issue, I never get lucky on restorations.

#3719 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Solid find on your end in troubleshooting for a solution. I am sure I will have the same issue, I never get lucky on restorations.

Take a pinball and roll it up the playfield switch cutout and if it rises abruptly from the clear coat you may run into the same issue.

Much easier to take care of it before assembly.

#3720 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Take a pinball and roll it up the playfield switch cutout and if it rises abruptly from the clear coat you may run into the same issue.
Much easier to take care of it before assembly.

I will do that soon as I begin prepping for teardown and while this is still fresh in my mind. I will also take video of my findings.

#3721 3 years ago

Comment deleted for now. Need to wrap my head around this one

20200629_154257 (resized).jpg20200629_154257 (resized).jpg20200629_154340 (resized).jpg20200629_154340 (resized).jpg20200629_154304 (resized).jpg20200629_154304 (resized).jpg20200629_154344 (resized).jpg20200629_154344 (resized).jpg20200629_154448 (resized).jpg20200629_154448 (resized).jpg20200629_154454 (resized).jpg20200629_154454 (resized).jpg20200629_154752 (resized).jpg20200629_154752 (resized).jpg20200629_154803 (resized).jpg20200629_154803 (resized).jpg20200629_154815 (resized).jpg20200629_154815 (resized).jpg
#3722 3 years ago

If you’re doing a hard top it may not matter.

#3723 3 years ago

Hi I’m looking for:
-An anti rebound wire part # 12-6468 that goes below the flippers. Maybe someone has a parts playfield with that part they can sell me. Thanks, getting stuff ready for a CPR swap.

6E5642D9-01F9-4B6B-AAE2-52CD1DFE0C96 (resized).jpeg6E5642D9-01F9-4B6B-AAE2-52CD1DFE0C96 (resized).jpeg
#3724 3 years ago

You are in luck my friend. I just happen to have one of those. You can also bend one from some wire from the Hardware store but I would be happy to send you this one.

PPS also has them. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MX-12-6468

Even have the right side. LOL

message me your address. $5 and I'll ship it off to you.

I am enjoying my CPR #HS restore.

IMG_0539 (resized).jpgIMG_0539 (resized).jpg

#3725 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

You are in luck my friend. I just happen to have one of those. You can also bend one from some wire from the Hardware store but I would be happy to send you this one.
PPS also has them. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MX-12-6468
Even have the right side. LOL
message me your address. $5 and I'll ship it off to you.
I am enjoying my CPR #HS restore.
[quoted image]

Perfect thank you!!Message sent!! This is why I love pinside! Looking forward to starting this swap.

#3726 3 years ago

All Packaged up and ready to send. I sent a couple feet or fabric wire and it took about 2 weeks+ to arrive to Canada. Let me know when it arrives.

Be sure to leave a credit card size space between the rebound wire and the playfield when you install. But with 35 games I am sure you know that.

#3727 3 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

Set of Wire Forms for sale.
You can PM me if you don't want to go thru ebay.
Thanks

#3728 3 years ago

I started to tear down a playfield to install a hardtop and under the flipper returns I realized there is no bulb there. There's a black circle that to me seems like a machine was supposed to cut it out but didn't. Under the playfield there are the sockets and wireing. I was just wondering if anyone else ever came across something like it.

IMG_20200705_152047 (resized).jpgIMG_20200705_152047 (resized).jpgIMG_20200705_152053 (resized).jpgIMG_20200705_152053 (resized).jpg
#3730 3 years ago

Saved you like... 60 cents in bulbs though!

#3731 3 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Saved you like... 60 cents in bulbs though!

LOL, yeah someone has been saving over the years

#3732 3 years ago

Greetings all of my new Pinside friends. This is my first post to the site AND my first visit to the High Speed club. I finally bought my first machine after being deprived of my avocation for too long. Thank you pandemic!

Being my first machine I figured I would buy one of my all time favorites. Top five. I jumped on craigslist and here was A beautiful High Speed, local and within my price range. Must have meant to be!

I look forward to all your help in maintaining my new game!

Andrew

highspeed (resized).jpghighspeed (resized).jpg
#3733 3 years ago
Quoted from Abloch:

Greetings all of my new Pinside friends. This is my first post to the site AND my first visit to the High Speed club. I finally bought my first machine after being deprived of my avocation for too long. Thank you pandemic!
Being my first machine I figured I would buy one of my all time favorites. Top five. I jumped on craigslist and here was A beautiful High Speed, local and within my price range. Must have meant to be!
Andrew
[quoted image]

Welcome to the insanity @abloch! I just finished a FULL high end restore of my #HS. It is a great pin. Lots of fun to play. There is tons of knowledgable folks here to help with any questions.

Now, lets see how long it will take for you to acquire #2 pin! LOL

#3734 3 years ago
Quoted from Abloch:

Andrew
[quoted image]

Welcome!
Looks to be in great shape!

#3735 3 years ago

Maybe I'm alone on this... but is anyone else not a fan of the BG? Specifically the Police?

#3736 3 years ago

Maybe I'm alone on this... but is anyone else not a fan of the BG? Specifically the Police?

Love the BG, especially the police

#3737 3 years ago

Has anyone purchased sling plastics lately?
I got the one in the packaging from Classic Arcades.
It is not a close enough match for me. Looking to buy set repo that match.

62E029CD-4953-4786-903F-BDAB092454AF (resized).jpeg62E029CD-4953-4786-903F-BDAB092454AF (resized).jpeg
#3738 3 years ago

Not sure if you need the whole set. CPR sells a set for High Speed

#3739 3 years ago

Me too. It's a shocker. Ancient zombie cops chasing a sports car? WTF? Plus the colours couldn't be any more washed out.

It's still a great game though

#3740 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Me too. It's a shocker. Ancient zombie cops chasing a sports car? WTF? Plus the colours couldn't be any more washed out.

I guess it was my time living in the UK that influenced it! lol

#3741 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

At the end of the day, you don't play the backglass. I'll take an iffy backglass all day if the game is solid and fun, like HS. One exception - Genesis......

#3742 3 years ago

The glass looks boss with proper bulbs behind it

IMG_20200507_154029 (resized).jpgIMG_20200507_154029 (resized).jpg
#3743 3 years ago

Here's my back glass with Steve Richie endorsing my new clear ramp!

Back Box LED's (resized).JPGBack Box LED's (resized).JPGSR2a (resized).jpgSR2a (resized).jpg
#3744 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Here's my back glass with Steve Richie endorsing my new clear ramp!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like the center green!

#3745 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

The glass looks boss with proper bulbs behind it
[quoted image]

That's just differently coloured bad!!

#3746 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

That's just differently coloured bad!!

Haha, to each their own I guess. I think the zombie lookin police dudes are rad AF, right along with the blonde in the lambo

#3747 3 years ago

Did you sort your ramp switches eventually?

#3748 3 years ago

Me? No, I learned to accept it for the annoying bastard it is.

My pops are much further up the list of things that need sorted. My bottom pop is GREAT but the other two have been the bane of my existence. They're now responsive enough IF action is triggered by the bottom pop. Otherwise they tend to be super lazy.

I've tried adjusting them so many times and I just can't get it right. It's super frustrating.

#3749 3 years ago

Try new contacts on the pop bumper activation switches.

#3750 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Try new contacts on the pop bumper activation switches.

Good idea, and potentially worth doing, but I can feel the alignment not being good on the skirt and spoon. I've tried so many times, even getting my wife to help hold so the damn thing doesn't move when I tighten it down.. No dice. I'm following vid's advice and I have clear pop bodies and skirts, so the deck is literally stacked in my favor, and they just won't play nice. It's my personal hell.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 199.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/75?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.