(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,217 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 233 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240322_224012722 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240322_224010527 (resized).jpg
IMG_6217 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240317_215329874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240317_215316114 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 125.
#3151 4 years ago

Yea, That back flasher is a gotcha for sure. I am sure most end up doing that.

#3152 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I should be able to just plug in the ramp and make sure all the switches and the eject solenoid work as intended during a normal game.. Right?[quoted image][quoted image]

I would think so as long as you have all the connectors plugged in.

Looking good!

#3153 4 years ago

What purpose do the ramp switches do exactly? I didn't notice anything but as I found out I have to disassemble more crap (the back wall) to thread the connector through, so it was actually connected underneath.. the eject solenoid worked perfectly and the game seemed to act proper, so I'm calling the left side assembled for now, with the only caveat being the stupid flasher. Woof.

//EDIT I don't remember it awarding a ramp bonus. Hmm. Wonder if the right side not being soldered has something to do with that..a common ground or something. Not going to worry about it, going to move forward with soldering the right side.

#3154 4 years ago

Where is the star roll- over

#3155 4 years ago

Not here yet Same with pops.

I'll have to take the top wire forms off again and I'm not fully securing the ramp just yet so when those are here I can build those up. I'm just checking functionality as I go along, especially where I'm having to solder things... Because my soldering skills suck.

#3156 4 years ago

What purpose do the ramp switches do exactly? I didn't notice anything but as I found out I have to disassemble more crap (the back wall) to thread the connector through, so it was actually connected underneath.. the eject solenoid worked perfectly and the game seemed to act proper, so I'm calling the left side assembled for now, with the only caveat being the stupid flasher. Woof.
//EDIT I don't remember it awarding a ramp bonus. Hmm.

When the ramp shot is made the ball is sent alternately to the left and right hideouts.

The ramp switches dictate when the diverters operate depending on which hideout the ball is to be sent to next.

#3157 4 years ago

Kind of a silly question..I knew that!

Not working on mine but I'm not gonna panic.. Time to solder the right side.

#3158 4 years ago

eyyyyy, it's almost starting to look like a pinball machine

Both escapes 'work' insofar as they both detect the ball being there and eject it after a brief pause. For some reason the ramp switches aren't registering now (no idea) and I have a feeling the game won't register the ramp shot without that working. Bleh.

IMG_20200313_222653_3 (resized).jpgIMG_20200313_222653_3 (resized).jpg
#3159 4 years ago

Weird. I got the flippers all set up and now it's knocking on boot for switches 42, 43, and 48 (not surprising, as the ramp wasn't registering anything).. Never did that until I installed the flippers.

Still no kickout or back wall flashers. Hoping there's a break somewhere around one of those that I can easily identify and fix. Most other things seem to be working fine, aside from all three spinners which I adjusted and were scoring but now aren't for some reason. Seems that entire row is having issues now. Obviously I still need to build pops and install star rollovers. Those should arrive Monday.

#3160 4 years ago

Four pin connector causing boot problems. Picture fo Grumpy.

594705A0-E9B5-474A-A90F-5795434787FD (resized).jpeg594705A0-E9B5-474A-A90F-5795434787FD (resized).jpeg
#3161 4 years ago

This is a GI connector and wont stop it from booting. This is not in the same spot as the original board.

hs ps (resized).jpghs ps (resized).jpg
#3162 4 years ago

That does not look like a board for High Speed. Why do you say that GI plug is causing boot problems?

Here is a picture from my High Speed PS board

hs_PS (resized).jpghs_PS (resized).jpg
#3163 4 years ago

Definitely doesn't look like any HS board I've ever seen!

#3164 4 years ago

As for my continuing saga, not sure why my game started knocking for those switches on boot since it hadn't ever done that before, but whatever.

Did some switch testing and realized that everything registered fine except spinners, ramps, and the right hideout rollover. All except the hideout rollover didn't register anything, period. The hideout registered SOMETIMES, but mostly not.

I unscrewed the right hideout microswitch (wish I haven't--I don't think I needed to) and lost the bottom fiber plate.. So tomorrow I go hunting for it or to salvage one off something else in my basement I guess.

Noticed this under the right hideout rollover when I got it upstairs. Bleh. I'll probably knock out some more soldering tomorrow to see if I can clean up some of this mess. Hoping once I've cleaned up the soldering that switch row will be back to working again.

IMG_20200314_222221 (resized).jpgIMG_20200314_222221 (resized).jpgIMG_20200314_222230 (resized).jpgIMG_20200314_222230 (resized).jpg
#3165 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That does not look like a board for High Speed. Why do you say that GI plug is causing boot problems?
Here is a picture from my High Speed PS board[quoted image]

It’s a Rottendog replacement power board.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3166 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

It’s a Rottendog replacement power board.[quoted image]

Problem seemed to be when the four pin connector was disturbed. Grumpy thinks I may have broken a trace on 6 or 12 pin connector. Going back to stock board.

#3167 4 years ago

Was there some reason you went away from the original board? I shipped mine all off for full rebuild, always prefer to just use original if possible. But my Eight Ball Deluxe does have an Alltek (came that way) in it.

#3168 4 years ago

Was there some reason you went away from the original board? I shipped mine all off for full rebuild, always prefer to just use original if possible. But my Eight Ball Deluxe does have an Alltek (came that way) in it.

As I was telling Grumpy ,when I first got in the hobby thought Rottendog would be more reliable than old original. Have learned that rebuilt originals and X pin boards are very reliable.

#3169 4 years ago

Better picture. Going back to rebuilt stock ...

BBEFC450-7EF1-4FD8-8FD1-CA2322EBD072 (resized).jpegBBEFC450-7EF1-4FD8-8FD1-CA2322EBD072 (resized).jpeg
#3170 4 years ago

Resoldered that green wire for the right hideout (bottom) switch and noticed a purple wire attached to a blob of other purple wires (middle right on PF) but hanging on by a thread. Cut it out, stripped off some fresh wire and soldered it in.

Ramp now working as far as I can tell, although it's still griping about switches. I'm guessing I gapped them too close when I was debugging (there's not really any reason they should have needed adjusting at all).

Star rollovers now griping, but haven't spent any time looking because I don't even have the parts yet.

Still no back wall flashers (I did resolder the left one, wires routed through the plastic) or kickout coil. I resoldered the purple/yellow wire (on the kickback) I had originally desoldered in order to sand the playfield. No idea why those ones continue to fight me. I think that's it as far as solenoids not working goes.

Making some progress but that kickback and the two flashers have me stumped. I guess I need to start tracing wires to see where continuity drops. Any other ideas?

#3171 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

As I was telling Grumpy ,when I first got in the hobby thought Rottendog would be more reliable than old original. Have learned that rebuilt originals and X pin boards are very reliable.

That's my feeling. Rebuilt original, especially in a home setting, should last a very, very long time.

#3172 4 years ago

I put the top wire forms on for now, just to test base functionality. Seems good aside from the two flashers and stupid kickout. I obviously messed up the ramp switches and made them WAY TOO sensitive because it'll trip from me just hitting the ramp hard on a complete whiff. But I assumed I'd have to remove it to install star rollovers and pops anyway so I'll just do it then. Guess that basically means I'm done until my order from Marco gets here, aside from researching the kickback and ghosting LEDs on one column which I don't feel like making my head hurt over trying to figure out today.
received_864119400696564 (resized).jpegreceived_864119400696564 (resized).jpegIMG_20200315_122524 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_122524 (resized).jpg

#3173 4 years ago

Seems good aside from the two flashers

I seem to recall that I had Flasher issues on my High Speed a few years ago. Also recall that they work sort of like the old Christmas tree lights....one bulb out and none light. All I did was replace bulbs.

#3174 4 years ago

Making some progress but that kickback

Do you hear the relay clicking on coil test?

#3175 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you hear the relay clicking on coil test?

That's a damn fine question. Lemme go check.

#3176 4 years ago

Nope, not that I hear.

#3177 4 years ago

Nope, not that I hear.

Look at the relay next to the kicker, Check the brown wire for 28 volts DC.

#3178 4 years ago

0.36V.. wtf?

//Edit OH FFS

IMG_20200315_200233 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_200233 (resized).jpg
#3179 4 years ago

I think you have found the issue.

#3180 4 years ago

Well, maybe. Maybe not. Unless it being unhooked broke something. I'm assuming it solders on to the terminal with the brown wires, right?

#3181 4 years ago

Unless it being unhooked broke something.

Relay wont work if resistor is disconnected.

I'm assuming it solders on to the terminal with the brown wires, right?

I need a better pic angle to know for sure but I think it hooks to the red. Manual says brown on one relay and red on another. So many errors in the manual.

#3182 4 years ago

Seemed to line up best with brown so that's what I went with but I can certainly try the red. It just doesn't seem to really line up particularly well. I did check the purple/yellow wire (on the coil lug itself) and got 0V but if the relay keeps it from energizing until it's time I guess that makes sense.

IMG_20200315_204340 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_204340 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_204356 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_204356 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_204400 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_204400 (resized).jpg
#3183 4 years ago

Seemed to line up best with brown so that's what I went

Does the relay click in coil test now?

I did check the purple/yellow wire (on the coil lug itself) and got 0V

Where did you have the black lead?

#3184 4 years ago

Red was the correct answer. Moved it over and it works perfectly now. I was actually looking at a past post you had replied on that said the same thing lol

Sweet deal, looks like all I have left is to figure out the flashers. Well and to install pops / star rollovers when they get here.

You're my hero grumpy.

#3185 4 years ago

Red was the correct answer. Moved it over and it works perfectly now. I was actually looking at a past post you had replied on that said the same thing lol
Sweet deal, looks like all I have left is to figure out the flashers. Well and to install pops / star rollovers when they get here.
You're my hero grumpy.

GRUMPY knows his shit!!!

#3186 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

grumpy knows his shit!!!

100%.

Man I'm feeling good about finishing this thing.

I really need to figure out how to change the launch angle on the shooter lane at some point. It's smacking right into the lower targets.. Not even close to the ramp. It seems like it's that damn post sleeve, but from all I can tell, it's supposed to be like that.. Bleh

#3187 4 years ago

looks like all I have left is to figure out the flashers.

Use 2 known good bulbs, then run coil test. You can test the bulbs with a 9 volt battery and a jumper wire.

#3188 4 years ago

100%.
Man I'm feeling good about finishing this thing.
I really need to figure out how to change the launch angle on the shooter lane at some point. It's smacking right into the lower targets.. Not even close to the ramp. It seems like it's that damn post sleeve, but from all I can tell, it's supposed to be like that.. Bleh

There is an adjustment you can make on the ball guide rail that exits the shooter lane. There are 2 screws and a slotted mount that you can change the exit angle of the rail. I am not sure which targets the ball is hitting but it sounds like yours needs to be adjusted "looser" so the ball travels higher on the playfield out of the launch lane. Is this correct? Or is the ball hitting the targets higher on the playfield? In that case the lane should be adjusted "Tighter". Here is a pic of the slotted mount.
IMG_4090 (resized).JPGIMG_4090 (resized).JPG

#3189 4 years ago

here is another closer angle

PF_Launch_Guide_adj (resized).JPGPF_Launch_Guide_adj (resized).JPG
#3190 4 years ago

Yep, makes sense--on both suggestions. Also reading that a post sleeve can cause it to deflect (what's happening on mine, I'm almost certain of it).

#3191 4 years ago

Yep, makes sense--on both suggestions. Also reading that a post sleeve can cause it to deflect (what's happening on mine, I'm almost certain of it).

Is it hitting the post sleeve just out of the shooter lane? If that is the case then the lane guide should be adjusted to make a harder turn or tighter turn to avoid the post rubber.

#3192 4 years ago

Can you take a slow motion video of the ball launch?

#3193 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Better picture. Going back to rebuilt stock ...

In the meantime try pushing this pin into the connector more with a small screwdriver.

ee (resized).jpgee (resized).jpg
#3194 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Can you take a slow motion video of the ball launch?

Going to not worry about it for now since I know the ramp has to come off at least once more. I understand the mechanics in play, I just need to fiddle with it until it's right. I might have to revise how I'm approaching securing the screw there. It doesn't seem to want to screw in terribly tightly and that's allowing it to flex. May just say hell with it and use a 6-32 bolt with a locknut under the PF. I need that to hold strong when I do finally get it set right.

#3195 4 years ago

Going to not worry about it for now since I know the ramp has to come off at least once more. I understand the mechanics in play, I just need to fiddle with it until it's right. I might have to revise how I'm approaching securing the screw there. It doesn't seem to want to screw in terribly tightly and that's allowing it to flex. May just say hell with it and use a 6-32 bolt with a locknut under the PF. I need that to hold strong when I do finally get it set right.

Sorry, did not mean to imply anything about not understanding the workings of the lane.

That is an option. however... Better option and a little more work...but. With stripped out wood screws you can drill the hole a little bigger, find a wood dowel beforehand for size you want then drill into the playfield do not go through the playfield to the other side. Pre-fit the dowel. should be a snug fit, then insert wood glue into the hole, do not need a lot, then insert dowel into the hole. Let dry, sand flat. Then drill new hole for screw and voila! This makes for original look and much easier to adjust ball guide angle. Another reason to do it this way is there may me mechanics underneath the playfield that will not allow for space for a nut.

#3196 4 years ago

I might have to revise how I'm approaching securing the screw there. It doesn't seem to want to screw in terribly tightly and that's allowing it to flex.

Put some wood glue in the hole and then take a wooden toothpick and break it in half and put both pointed ends in the hole. Then give them a wack from a hammer and let it dry over night. Cut off excess with Xacto knife. Replace screw and tighten as normal.

#3197 4 years ago

Seemed to line up best with brown so that's what I went with but I can certainly try the red. It just doesn't seem to really line up particularly well. I did check the purple/yellow wire (on the coil lug itself) and got 0V but if the relay keeps it from energizing until it's time I guess that makes sense.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There is supposed to be two resistors on there the small one you have and you are missing the larger one its a 5 ohm 10 watt resistor. look at post 2979 and you will see what i am talking about and how they are wired

#3198 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Put some wood glue in the hole and then take a wooden toothpick and break it in half and put both pointed ends in the hole. Then give them a wack from a hammer and let it dry over night. Cut off excess with Xacto knife. Replace screw and tighten as normal.

That is probably a better route with the Hardtop installed.

#3199 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

In the meantime try pushing this pin into the connector more with a small screwdriver.[quoted image]

Will do. Thanks.

#3200 4 years ago

Grumpy gold as per usual. I forgot I ended up doing that with a star post on the first pin I owned (an old, beat to sh!t WMS OXO) and it worked perfectly. Should work here also.

I need to find a better solution for mounting that stupid hideout microswitch (the one that sticks through the metal bracket to detect when a ball is routed there) also since the bottom fiber board went missing. I'm half tempted to just glue the damn thing to the bracket and order a couple replacements next time I place an order somewhere, figuring I'll have to destroy it to remove next time.... It came loose last night while I was messing with the shooter lane angle and my game started doing ALL SORTS of crazy things--I'm guessing something was grounding something out. I shut it down, pulled it completely out and the weird behavior stopped. But clearly that also undid my progress in the hideout. Bleh.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Keller, TX
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/64?hl=ksuwildcatfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.