(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 126.
#3051 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I bought replacements for my restoration (still waiting on the cabinet to be finished). The part number is 01-8250. I got them from Pinball Resource.

That is strange, I spoke with steve the other day and he said he did not have any. Maybe I will call with the part number.

#3052 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Are your pieces actual damaged? Few minutes on a buffer and they would shine like new.

Not damaged, just worn. The part that is mounted to the playfield is worn quite a bit. It is difficult to tell on the U shaped piece but I assume there is wear and I would rather replace them both.

#3053 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I bought replacements for my restoration (still waiting on the cabinet to be finished). The part number is 01-8250. I got them from Pinball Resource.

Thanks Bellagio I used the part number and got 2 coming from PBR.

#3054 4 years ago

Have mercy please. Where does this wire thing go. I remember taking it off somewhere around the ramp. Thanks!

20200210_200107 (resized).jpg20200210_200107 (resized).jpg
#3055 4 years ago

it goes behind the ramp I believe to keep balls from getting stuck...more under the curved side and attaches to a screw by the light as I recall

#3056 4 years ago

It attaches to the post under the ramp and to the rear screw on the stop light bracket attached to the ramp.

IMG_4995 (resized).jpgIMG_4995 (resized).jpg
#3057 4 years ago

Here is my old playfield with a pic of the stoplight attachment point.

PF_Left_spinner_area (resized).JPGPF_Left_spinner_area (resized).JPG
#3058 4 years ago

Anybody seen a High Speed more blown out than mine? Hardtop is on its way!

IMG_20200210_124402618 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_124402618 (resized).jpg
#3059 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Anybody seen a High Speed more blown out than mine? Hardtop is on its way![quoted image]

That is definitely in need of a re-do!

#3060 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Have mercy please. Where does this wire thing go. I remember taking it off somewhere around the ramp. Thanks![quoted image]

Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

It attaches to the post under the ramp and to the rear screw on the stop light bracket attached to the ramp.[quoted image]

I’m glad you brought that up, my game is totally missing that. I’ll have to try to track down the part number. If I can’t find it I’ll try to make one.

#3061 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I’m glad you brought that up, my game is totally missing that. I’ll have to try to track down the part number. If I can’t find it I’ll try to make one.

Marco has them, But would be easy to make as well.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6683

#3062 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Marco has them, But would be easy to make as well.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6683

Perfect, thanks! For $5 I’ll just buy it with my next Marcos order, too lazy to make one ha ha

#3063 4 years ago

Disaster!

Game dead at boot after high score knocker ring.

Thanks to your guys help, I got my High Speed back together after completing a top side teardown, switching over to LEDs, and doing my first playfield touchups (which turned out quite nice).

I fired it up to play a game and everything went perfect! I was doing so good, that I got a free game! When the knocker went off, the siren sound went higher pitched and higher pitched while nothing happened in the playfield. After 20 or seconds I reset the game. Now it doesn't boot. When I say that, I mean the lights come on everywhere but the display, and pushing the start button does nothing.

I had to leave for work, but visually inspected the fuses and they looked good. I have included a few photos in case I am missing something easy.

I have the parts to replace the board in the upper right (power control board I think it's called) and re-pin the molex connector there (was going to get to that), but wanted to verify what was wrong first before possibly creating more problems.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

20200211_063344 (resized).jpg20200211_063344 (resized).jpgqqw (resized).jpgqqw (resized).jpg
#3064 4 years ago

Yeah you should have really cleaned up that hack job on that connector before using the machine...I think you posted that once before as it looks familiar...you have power supply coming from the adjoining connector that dont belong...time to get the manual out...

#3065 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Now it doesn't boot. When I say that, I mean the lights come on everywhere but the display, and pushing the start button does nothing.

Most likely have a bad 5 volt or 12 volt from the power supply. It needs to be rebuilt before it causes more damage.

#3066 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Yeah you should have really cleaned up that hack job on that connector before using the machine...I think you posted that once before as it looks familiar...you have power supply coming from the adjoining connector that dont belong...time to get the manual out...

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Most likely have a bad 5 volt or 12 volt from the power supply. It needs to be rebuilt before it causes more damage.

Success!

Yeah... I was scared of that board. So scared I ordered a refurbished one off ebay 3 weeks ago when I got this machine. Not sure what the exact problem was but after replacing the connector And switching out the board it works like a charm! Here are some photos of the new board installed, the working game, and the old board.

Put on a new game, got a new high score, set off the knocker twice with no issues. Now that I have fixed the board, thrown LEDs on top, touched up the cabinet, back glass, play field and mylar all I have to do is switch out the volume knob, throw LEDs under the playfield, and this machine will go from a 4 to a 7.

Thanks guys!

20200211_200102 (resized).jpg20200211_200102 (resized).jpg20200211_201039 (resized).jpg20200211_201039 (resized).jpg20200211_201201 (resized).jpg20200211_201201 (resized).jpg20200211_201028 (resized).jpg20200211_201028 (resized).jpg
#3067 4 years ago

You should replace that connector...looks like the wires were just pushed back into the IDC connector ..you old board doesn't really look that bad...just needs to be cleaned up

#3068 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

You should replace that connector...looks like the wires were just pushed back into the IDC connector ..you old board doesn't really look that bad...just needs to be cleaned up

Educate me... what the idc connector?

#3069 4 years ago

its the type of connector they used (and still used) on all the old pinball machines (insulation displacement connector)...I'm referring to the one where you had the wiring mess....use a trifurcon pin and a matching connector based on how many pins there are....like this one..
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=09-50-8091 with this type pin https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=08-52-0113 depending on the wire size...you may need the smaller one for the 20ga wire....get the tool on amazon... Phosphor bronze has a higher current rating than the plain tin plated brass. Great plains is a great resource for pinball related parts like this....look through their website... you could purchase everything you need on that board to rebuild it....for cheap really
I think I posted this for you a while back ...but this was mine (before I sold it) notice the connectors
highspeed (resized).jpghighspeed (resized).jpg

#3070 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

its the type of connector they used (and still used) on all the old pinball machines (insulation displacement connector)...I'm referring to the one where you had the wiring mess....use a trifurcon pin and a matching connector based on how many pins there are....like this one..
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=09-50-8091 with this type pin https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=08-52-0113 depending on the wire size...you may need the smaller one for the 20ga wire....get the tool on amazon... Phosphor bronze has a higher current rating than the plain tin plated brass. Great plains is a great resource for pinball related parts like this....look through their website... you could purchase everything you need on that board to rebuild it....for cheap really
I think I posted this for you a while back ...but this was mine (before I sold it) notice the connectors
[quoted image]

How would you use the crimpers?

Ahh,
I've replaced IDC connectors before (which is why I had a 12 hole connector on hand) but I guess I never new the proper way to do it. I was under the impression you put the wire in the back of the connector and just forced it in with a small screwdriver, always worked just fine for me but I'd like to step up my game and do it the right way now. I see several different crimpers for same on amazon like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R2JEM4 but am not sure exactly how to use something like that.

Luckily the connector in question just powers the lighting, which I have already partially switched out to LEDs and will be finishing soon. I may replace some of those spliced wires in the process of all this too. Thanks!

#3071 4 years ago

No you dont want to use IDC connectors so dont buy that tool..use this one HT-225D Full Cycle Ratchet Crimping Tool with interchangeable die set HT-225D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JLN93S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_N0.qEbQJ1S002 for the trifurcon connectors...buy a good pair of wire strippers too while your at it....you can find a lot if videos on you tube showing how to crimp these connectors

#3072 4 years ago

Is anyone interested in my old HS playfield? I sold the game and still have it...I've seen much worse, but all the inserts are intact, there is a hole or two that needs some structural filling, but good for a hardtop if yours is really shot...Just pay shipping. FREE BITCHES!
[att=5473296,1890915 caption=""
*spoken for

#3073 4 years ago

Pinball Karma!

#3074 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Is anyone interested in my old HS playfield? I sold the game and still have it...I've seen much worse, but all the inserts are intact, there is a hole or two that needs some structural filling, but good for a hardtop if yours is really shot...Just pay shipping. FREE BITCHES![quoted image]

I would use it! PMing you.

1 week later
#3075 4 years ago

I've officially reached peak levels of "meh"with the shooter lane on my hardtop, and I'm willing to try an idea my friend threw out: waterslide decals, under a white painted lane. Does anyone have or know where I could find a high-res photo of a bare playfield with a nice shooter lane, taken directly above? Bonus points if there's something in the photo my wife can use for size reference to properly scale prior to printing the decal.

#3076 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I've officially reached peak levels of "meh"with the shooter lane on my hardtop, and I'm willing to try an idea my friend threw out: waterslide decals, under a white painted lane. Does anyone have or know where I could find a high-res photo of a bare playfield with a nice shooter lane, taken directly above? Bonus points if there's something in the photo my wife can use for size reference to properly scale prior to printing the decal.

whats going on?

#3077 4 years ago

I tried clearing a bunch of times but I was getting a ton of fisheyes, especially on the edges of the lane. So I tried painting like vid detailed.. It looked bad so I wiped it off and tried gray.. Also bad..

I've been stuck for weeks just trying to get something that looks 'acceptable' so I can move forward.

#3078 4 years ago

Guess I should have clarified. I'm trying to install said hardtop.. It's nothing to do with the hardtop itself.

#3079 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Remembered that HEP recently painted a shooter lane and exposed wood areas in a wood tone and thought you might find that interesting as a reference: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/120#post-5424026

#3080 4 years ago
Quoted from waveman:

Remembered that HEP recently painted a shooter lane and exposed wood areas in a wood tone and thought you might find that interesting as a reference: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/120#post-5424026

I'm so jealous of the amount of skill and precision there. I'm in way over my head and just fumbling around in the dark like an idiot.

#3081 4 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Looking to join the High Speed club, but I've run into an unrealistic seller.... My question is; how much would you pay for this high speed? The owner doesn't have the cabinet key, which he failed to disclose before I drove an hour to check out, playfield is shot, cab has heavy flaking, backglass has a pretty good amount of cracking, the is an "adjust failure" fault, and it's obviously not been cleaned in years as he's never opened it.. on the plus side; the plastic looks good, and the boards looked good without any battery damage... What do the experts on here think is a fair price???[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Joined the club!!

80 days after walking away the seller hit me up, and wanted it out of his house. I have to get my current project finished (Time Machine) before i can get into this one, but I can't wait to dig in!!

#3082 4 years ago
B5753D77-DBFB-4263-89A7-70CD94DC55E9 (resized).jpegB5753D77-DBFB-4263-89A7-70CD94DC55E9 (resized).jpeg569B91AE-7C31-4D7D-97AC-7971F5384C08 (resized).jpeg569B91AE-7C31-4D7D-97AC-7971F5384C08 (resized).jpegC0BB9478-B4C8-4F4F-B4E3-EEDDCFF1DA32 (resized).pngC0BB9478-B4C8-4F4F-B4E3-EEDDCFF1DA32 (resized).png
#3083 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I ordered the green one off of amazon and got it in 1 day. Looks great

#3084 4 years ago

That does look great. Good choice

#3085 4 years ago

Just installed the stop light mod from @RobF, and I love it, it looks so good!

IMG_20200229_120113 (resized).jpgIMG_20200229_120113 (resized).jpgIMG_20200229_120048 (resized).jpgIMG_20200229_120048 (resized).jpgIMG_20200229_095718 (resized).jpgIMG_20200229_095718 (resized).jpg
#3086 4 years ago

Anyone have recent paint codes/numbers for the red and yellow colors on the cabinet? Dunn-Edwards, Behr, Sherwin-Williams. I found a couple references to colors in previous posts in this thread but nothing within a couple years (Posts 1933- 2 years old and 71- 6 years old).

#3087 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Anyone have recent paint codes/numbers for the red and yellow colors on the cabinet? Dunn-Edwards, Behr, Sherwin-Williams. I found a couple references to colors in previous posts in this thread but nothing within a couple years (Posts 1933- 2 years old and 71- 6 years old).

My buddy used the #1933 colors last summer and it came out great.

#3088 4 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

My buddy used the #1933 colors last summer and it came out great.

Ok, thanks. Figured I’d ask here before I get the paint

#3089 4 years ago

Just grabbed High Speed today.

Needs a little clean up work on PF and Cabinet... But got a pretty good deal i think.

Will be back here for advice no doubt.

FB_IMG_1583257250201 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1583257250201 (resized).jpg
#3090 4 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Just grabbed High Speed today.
Needs a little clean up work on PF and Cabinet... But got a pretty good deal i think.
Will be back here for advice no doubt.[quoted image]

Congrats... Looks pretty clean. One of my favorite games. Mine is currently in about 200 different pieces in the middle of a full restore.

#3091 4 years ago

Mine is also apart.

#3092 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Congrats... Looks pretty clean. One of my favorite games. Mine is currently in about 200 different pieces in the middle of a full restore.

For $700CDN... I'm not complaining!

#3093 4 years ago

So I recently bought my High Speed game and I have a rather simple question I think. I was wondering if you were supposed to score points for hitting the angled slingshots - under the Turbo Boost and Oil Pressure - next to the flippers? Mine does not score any points and the rest of the game is in pretty good shape.

IMG_2320 (resized).JPGIMG_2320 (resized).JPG
#3094 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

So I recently bought my High Speed game and I have a rather simple question I think. I was wondering if you were supposed to score points for hitting the angled slingshots - under the Turbo Boost and Oil Pressure - next to the flippers? Mine does not score any points and the rest of the game is in pretty good shape.[quoted image]

Iirc on high speed, the sling activation switches are above the playfield and the scoring switch is beneath the playfield. They get activated by the sling plunger moving. Lift the playfield and clean/ inspect/adjust those switches.

#3095 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Iirc on high speed, the sling activation switches are above the playfield and the scoring switch is beneath the playfield. They get activated by the sling plunger moving. Lift the playfield and clean/ inspect/adjust those switches.

Thanks gutz. I cleaned and bent the leaf scoring switch below the slingshots and now it is registering 10 points for each slingshot. I assume this is the right scoring.

#3096 4 years ago

Still working on my hardtop install on my high speed but I've found two issues:

Several LED bulbs are having issues flashing correctly according to the program (especially bad in the center bonus matrix -- they're fine with 44s). The 1-2-3 inserts were having similar issues--1 and 3 wouldn't go off, but 2 seemed to be blinking properly. Any suggestions? Maybe some bad diodes? I tried non ghosting bulbs but that didn't seem to make much (if any) difference. Boards have already been completely refurbished.

Issue 2, I KNOW I don't have everything fully back together on this (I still need to solder all topside flashers back in and I need to finish reassembly with pops, rollovers, wireforms, etc but after hooking it all back up (originally just to look at the GI because I wanted to make sure I would like the bulbs I chose before I started stacking things on top) I'm only getting a few solenoids to respond in the test:

Police light
Insert flasher
GI (11)
Knocker
Coin lockout
Left sling
Right sling
All three jet bumpers

I checked all the fuses I could think of and they all had continuity. I checked under the PF to see if there was some oddball fuse like there is on F14.. But saw nothing. I have NOT yet tried to manually fire any coils on the transistors themselves. Am I just jumping the gun on expecting my solenoids to work, given my progress with the hardtop? I wasn't specifically looking at that right now, but now my head is wrapped around trying to figure out why..

IMG_20200308_214117 (resized).jpgIMG_20200308_214117 (resized).jpg
#3097 4 years ago

Hadn't really been able to do much with my new HS I got as it's been parked in my Dads garage since I got it.... was there yesterday and I hadn't noticed before that some jackass drilled three wood screw to the left of the bottom pop bumper. Who does this and why????! (will take pics in the future) Looks like that hardtop will be in the plans going forward.

#3098 4 years ago

Just judging from throwing a ball around a bit inside on mine, it's crazy how much smoother it is than before. I kind of knew what to expect, having bought a hardtopped space shuttle, but it's like glass. I'm excited to see how it alters the play of an already fast Ritchie game.. If I can figure out why my solenoids suddenly aren't working, anyway

#3099 4 years ago

Holy hell, can someone take a picture of their slings, specifically showing how the scoring stack mounts? I have no idea why, but I'm just not seeing it.

Screenshot_20200309-182005 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200309-182005 (resized).jpg
#3100 4 years ago

It mounts with the screws thru the arm hold down. The leaf switch touches the silver extension. Plunger pulls in, switch leaf drops and score is made.
Push the arm to playfield and mount switch to two holes in arm bracket.
Screws go thru switch and bracket.
Not sure i make sense......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/62?hl=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.