(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 126.
#2701 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Likewise, I believe this grey/ yellow goes to the outside and the blue to the middle. But would like to be certain.[quoted image]

Why don't you try to solve this yourself. Which wire goes to the switch? The switch is ground. Which wire has power? Power always goes to the band side of diodes. The ground is always opposite of the power wire. As for the EOS switch, one wire goes to the middle and the other goes to the ground wire.

#2702 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Why don't you try to solve this yourself. Which wire goes to the switch? The switch is ground. Which wire has power? Power always goes to the band side of diodes. The ground is always opposite of the power wire. As for the EOS switch, one wire goes to the middle and the other goes to the ground wire.

Sorry, I don't like asking for help and tried searching this one in the search area and scouring this thread. Also these coils are slightly confusing to me with only a single diode. I see earlier that some are wound in serries and some in parrallel. I was fairly sure my previous statements were correct, but the last time I was sure I was correct, I fried some things. Taking what you said, I will go forward. Was not trying to take advantage of help, but was also afraid as I have done more damage than good in the past.

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Sorry, I don't like asking for help and tried searching this one in the search area and scouring this thread. Also these coils are slightly confusing to me with only a single diode. I see earlier that some are wound in serries and some in parrallel. I was fairly sure my previous statements were correct, but the last time I was sure I was correct, I fried some things. Taking what you said, I will go forward. Was not trying to take advantage of help, but was also afraid as I have done more damage than good in the past.

Always good to try to work through things and try to solve with schematics and such. (I always take pics when removing anything).

Here are 2 pics from my High Speed

IMG_3066 (resized).JPGIMG_3066 (resized).JPGIMG_3069 (resized).JPGIMG_3069 (resized).JPG
#2704 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Sorry, I don't like asking for help

I don't mean it like that, what I mean is if you look at it like I described you will know how to do this on any machine from now on.

#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I don't mean it like that, what I mean is if you look at it like I described you will know how to do this on any machine from now on.

I didn't mean to sound like I was uspset either. It's just this machine has me flustered and looking back through the thread I noticed how much I have been asking for help. You have helped me with many issues up till now and I don't want to seem ungrateful. Looking at my posts it seems like I ask for too much help. Your advice on this does help and will help going forward. I am frustrated that in diagnosing the match/ credit display on my pinbot and swapping parts, I seem to have fried the same display on this one. I have also done everthing I know how, and still my right flipper is weak. Eos is new and gapped, flipper moves freely by hand, and did a complete rebuild. I am ordering a new cabinet switch and will patiently work through these issues, but I admit that I am frustrated. On a good note, I reflowed some of my board work and it looks like my sounds are finally working properly. Just hope that holds up.

#2706 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Always good to try to work through things and try to solve with schematics and such. (I always take pics when removing anything).
Here are 2 pics from my High Speed[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the pics, I went ahead using the tips GRUMPY gave and that part is back together.

#2707 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I didn't mean to sound like I was uspset either. It's just this machine has me flustered and looking back through the thread I noticed how much I have been asking for help. You have helped me with many issues up till now and I don't want to seem ungrateful. Looking at my posts it seems like I ask for too much help. Your advice on this does help and will help going forward. I am frustrated that in diagnosing the match/ credit display on my pinbot and swapping parts, I seem to have fried the same display on this one. I have also done everthing I know how, and still my right flipper is weak. Eos is new and gapped, flipper moves freely by hand, and did a complete rebuild. I am ordering a new cabinet switch and will patiently work through these issues, but I admit that I am frustrated. On a good note, I reflowed some of my board work and it looks like my sounds are finally working properly. Just hope that holds up.

To resolve wether the cabinet switch is bad take a jumper wire with Aligator clips and clip one end to one soldered terminal of the cabinet switch and touch the other end of the jumper to the other solder terminal of the cabinet switch. If the solenoid fires the same it is not the cabinet switch. However if it fires strong the cabinet switch needs replacing. You may have done this already but if not it will save you from buying a part that may not fix the problem. what condition are the contacts on the cabinet switch?

#2708 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

To resolve wether the cabinet switch is bad take a jumper wire with Aligator clips and clip one end to one soldered terminal of the cabinet switch and touch the other end of the jumper to the other solder terminal of the cabinet switch. If the solenoid fires the same it is not the cabinet switch. However if it fires strong the cabinet switch needs replacing. You may have done this already but if not it will save you from buying a part that may not fix the problem. what condition are the contacts on the cabinet switch?

Oh, thanks. I have not done this but I am about to now.

#2709 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Oh, thanks. I have not done this but I am about to now.

Oh well, not the cabinet switch I guess. Now I am clueless as everything I have read says its usually the eos gap. Even if I hold pressure on the eos by hand, no change. Ohms are similar on both coils. I have read tons of weak flipper threads, but have checked everything that is usually wrong. Everyone says the coil doesn't go bad if it reads proper, but maybe I should switch the 2 coils to see if there is a difference.

#2710 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Oh well, not the cabinet switch I guess. Now I am clueless as everything I have read says its usually the eos gap. Even if I hold pressure on the eos by hand, no change. Ohms are similar on both coils. I have read tons of weak flipper threads, but have checked everything that is usually wrong. Everyone says the coil doesn't go bad if it reads proper, but maybe I should switch the 2 coils to see if there is a difference.

What seems weak about it?

I had what I thought was a similar issue with my right flipper on HS for awhile, and went through a full rebuild trying to correct it. The reason I thought it was weak was because when I shot the orbit it would not go around to the upper flipper.

Turns out there was a screw protruding in the back of the orbit that was deflecting the ball into the pops. Removing the screw fixed my issue and revealed that the flipper had plenty of power all along.

#2711 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Oh well, not the cabinet switch I guess.

99% of all weak flippers is a poorly adjusted EOS switch.

#2712 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

What seems weak about it?
I had what I thought was a similar issue with my right flipper on HS for awhile, and went through a full rebuild trying to correct it. The reason I thought it was weak was because when I shot the orbit it would not go around to the upper flipper.
Turns out there was a screw protruding in the back of the orbit that was deflecting the ball into the pops. Removing the screw fixed my issue and revealed that the flipper had plenty of power all along.

Well it is not snappy like the right and upper flippers. You can hear the difference. Also like you say, it does not make the right orbit, but it is visibly slower than the left flipper.

#2713 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

99% of all weak flippers is a poorly adjusted EOS switch.

Yeah, thats what I have read. At this point it barely has any gap when fully engaged and there seems to be good tension on it at rest as well.

#2714 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Yeah, thats what I have read. At this point it barely has any gap when fully engaged and there seems to be good tension on it at rest as well.

Clean the contacts. Make sure that they touch each other squarely.

#2715 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Clean the contacts. Make sure that they touch each other squarely.

Ok. Just to be clear, you do not mean with sandpaper right? I have 3000 grit if you do.

#2716 4 years ago

Cleaned with a windex soaked paper and took some tension off at rest to make sure they meet squarely. It is a little better and sometimes makes the orbit. Still not as snappy as the right one. I can live with it for now. Maybe I will swap parts to identify exacly the cause later but thanks to everyone for the help....once again!

#2717 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Ok. Just to be clear, you do not mean with sandpaper right? I have 3000 grit if you do.

Try running a business card between the contacts while applying light pressure. You can also replce the EOS switches if the contacts look badly toasted.

#2718 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Try running a business card between the contacts while applying light pressure. You can also replce the EOS switches if the contacts look badly toasted.

Ok. They are both new which adds to my confusion.

#2719 4 years ago

If you wind up deciding to replace the coils, consider changing them over to the parallel type coils. You'll have to upgrade the brackets to accommodate the newer style spring, but they're cheap enough. Vid has a great tutorial on changing them over...

#2720 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

If you wind up deciding to replace the coils, consider changing them over to the parallel type coils. You'll have to upgrade the brackets to accommodate the newer style spring, but they're cheap enough. Vid has a great tutorial on changing them over...

Ok. How would I determine the equivalent power coil if I went this route? Is there any thing gained in this? Thanks!

#2721 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Maybe I will swap parts to identify exacly the cause later but thanks to everyone for the help....once again!

Not necessary, if you want to test the EOS switch then connect a jumper wire across both contacts. This will short out the EOS switch basically removing it from the circuit. Now test it during a game, but DO NOT HOLD the flipper up or you will burn the fuse. If after you test you find no difference in flipper power then it can be a coil issue, but it you find there is more power then you need to concentrate on the EOS switch.

#2722 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Is there any thing gained in this?

The only gain is that the EOS switch contacts will last longer because you will need to add a capacitor in parallel with the EOS. As far as the return spring goes, this can be done to any Williams flipper regardless of which coil is used.

#2723 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Not necessary, if you want to test the EOS switch then connect a jumper wire across both contacts. This will short out the EOS switch basically removing it from the circuit. Now test it during a game, but DO NOT HOLD the flipper up or you will burn the fuse. If after you test you find no difference in flipper power then it can be a coil issue, but it you find there is more power then you need to concentrate on the EOS switch.

Ok, I will test this later today. I will also use all these pointers to fix a weak flipper on my Firepower. On that, I know my weak coil is reading 2 ohms and should only be reading 1 ohm. I assume that is gonna be a coil problem.

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I know my weak coil is reading 2 ohms and should only be reading 1 ohm. I assume that is gonna be a coil problem.

When testing very low ohms like this, there can be different readings from one DMM to another. Don't be so sure that this is a problem.

#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

When testing very low ohms like this, there can be different readings from one DMM to another. Don't be so sure that this is a problem.

Gotcha. I will do the jumper first on both switches and look at the coil as a last resort.

#2726 4 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi guys, I purchased a high speed a few months ago and it is missing the rubber/rubbers up the front of the playfield below the ramp. not sure if it is meant to have 1 big rubber or 2 smaller ones, does any know this info and what size rubbers, als o how the hell do in install the new rubbers with the kickout shafts there, I had a look but not sure what needs to be removed and how.
cheers
Trevor[quoted image]

It is a large rubber ring that is doubled up.

#2727 4 years ago

I have an issue with a High Speed and maybe you guys can help. What happens is it blows the 2.5 amp slo blo just before the flipper board. But it is about every 4 days or so. It's not immediately... The owner put in a new repro power supply, I then replaced both relays under playfield for the locks. No luck at all. Nothing looks as if it is touching , I pretty much rule out the transistor and predrivers and diodes on the coils. I have not checked the coil resistance... No errors present on the game.
So a looming short somewhere or bad coils/diodes in the locks or ramp diverter??
Thanks in advance.

#2728 4 years ago

That is definitely a unique issue. Do the Solenoids look OK? Not discolored/brown/burnt? A couple options are: go through the Solenoid test and operate the hideout solenoids 20-30 times each and see if this blows the fuse. You may have a solenoid that is shorting. As you mentioned you may want to test the ohms on the solenoid.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Relays should not be causing the fuse to blow. I would think the Solenoids (most likely just one) would be more the culprit here. The power draw items on that 2.5ASB fuse are the Kicker Solenoids. Relays take very little power to operate.

I believe this is the Circuit you are having the problem with, correct?

IMG_3077 (resized).jpgIMG_3077 (resized).jpg
#2729 4 years ago

One of these 3 coils will be your problem, unless you are having a low 5 volts at the CPU board. Run solenoid test and lock on each of these coils for @ 10 cycles, keeping an eye on the fuse. You may see it start to glow while in test but not blow.

1hs (resized).PNG1hs (resized).PNG
#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That is definitely a unique issue. Do the Solenoids look OK? Not discolored/brown/burnt? A couple options are: go through the Solenoid test and operate the hideout solenoids 20-30 times each and see if this blows the fuse. You may have a solenoid that is shorting. As you mentioned you may want to test the ohms on the solenoid.
Sounds like you are on the right track. Relays should not be causing the fuse to blow. I would think the Solenoids (most likely just one) would be more the culprit here. The power draw items on that 2.5ASB fuse are the Kicker Solenoids. Relays take very little power to operate.
I believe this is the Circuit you are having the problem with, correct?[quoted image]

Yes , this is the area. Thanks. Have tested but only 3, 4 kicks per and played numerous games manually getting the locks.

#2731 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

One of these 3 coils will be your problem, unless you are having a low 5 volts at the CPU board. Run solenoid test and lock on each of these coils for @ 10 cycles, keeping an eye on the fuse. You may see it start to glow while in test but not blow.[quoted image]

Thank you , will look closer.

#2732 4 years ago

Playfields are now up for sale on CPR....Get em while they're hot!

#2733 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Having recently just installed a Hardtop, I have to say I’m happy with the result.

A $300 solution seems more appropriate for a $1500-2000 pin, but I can definitely understand that $800+ is worth it for some people - especially a proper collector’s quality machine.

#2734 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Having recently just installed a Hardtop, I have to say I’m happy with the result.
A $300 solution seems more appropriate for a $1500-2000 pin, but I can definitely understand that $800+ is worth it for some people - especially a proper collector’s quality machine.

My playfield was so bad...holes drilled where there should not be, broken wood behind posts...quite the mess...but yeah not a high value machine, but it was given to me...so doesn't hurt too bad....

#2735 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

My playfield was so bad...holes drilled where there should not be, broken wood behind posts...quite the mess...but yeah not a high value machine, but it was given to me...so doesn't hurt too bad....

Woohoo, thanks, was waiting for a plastic set to come up, and they finally have those as well. Such a great game. Looking forward to finally having decent plastics

#2736 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Ordering is the easy part. Doing the play field swap will be the challenge for sure.

#2737 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Ordering is the easy part. Doing the play field swap will be the challenge for sure.

I actually enjoy doing a pf swap. It is therapeutic.

#2738 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I did my High Speed. Wasn't too bad. Just don't trust some of the dimpling on the bottom as being ideal. Most notably, for the nine standup targets.....best to align those carefully, manually.

#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I did my High Speed. Wasn't too bad. Just don't trust some of the dimpling on the bottom as being ideal. Most notably, for the nine standup targets.....best to align those carefully, manually.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

#2740 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I believe this is the Circuit you are having the problem with, correct?[quoted image]

I replaced the 2 lock coils and the kickback coil with new coils. Played several games, then it took out the fuse again. Flipping the flippers caused fuse to go and put up scrambled displays. 4amp on power supply down. I replaced the diodes on each flip coil and lasted a couple days . Back to the same situation...

#2741 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Flipping the flippers caused fuse to go and put up scrambled displays.

Replace the diodes on the flipper coils. Also measure the 5 volts on the cpu board. Let me know what you find.

#2742 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Replace the diodes on the flipper coils. Also measure the 5 volts on the cpu board. Let me know what you find.

Forgot to mention this, I put new diodes on the flipper coils. I will get a 5vdc measure on cpu.

#2743 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I replaced the 2 lock coils and the kickback coil with new coils. Played several games, then it took out the fuse again. Flipping the flippers caused fuse to go and put up scrambled displays. 4amp on power supply down. I replaced the diodes on each flip coil and lasted a couple days . Back to the same situation...

False alarm as it was something totally different. Game functions as it should.

#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

False alarm as it was something totally different. Game functions as it should.

What was the fix? I have had same periodic issues with mine but thinking diodes on flipper coils may have fixed mine.

#2745 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

What was the fix? I have had same periodic issues with mine but thinking diodes on flipper coils may have fixed mine.

Last thing I did was replace the diodes on the flipper coils.

#2746 4 years ago

The rubber on my upper flipper is slowly getting cut by the metal ball guide. It’s aligned as it seemingly should be, and might even be a touch low. Is this normal?

#2747 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

The rubber on my upper flipper is slowly getting cut by the metal ball guide. It’s aligned as it seemingly should be, and might even be a touch low. Is this normal?

Haven’t seen that on mine in the ~6 months I’ve had it. Got any pics?

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Haven’t seen that on mine in the ~6 months I’ve had it. Got any pics?

Not at the moment. I rotated the band so the cut is on the back side for now. Will look a little closer when I get to my location later and see if there are any clues as to what might be off.

#2749 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

It is normal on mine. It mostly makes a very mild slice mark and once you can see it, it does not continue to grow.

#2750 4 years ago

This must be what you are talking about. I bet each machine has its own tolerances. Mine does show some contact however is not cutting into the rubber at all. If it is cutting into your flipper rubber you could take the ball guide off and grind some off of the end to prevent it from cutting your flipper rubber. You may want to check the travel of your flipper as well. It may be traveling too far.

IMG_3113 (resized).JPGIMG_3113 (resized).JPGIMG_3114 (resized).jpgIMG_3114 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 6,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/55?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.