(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,251 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240322_224012722 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 126.
#2501 5 years ago

Repainted all of the white areas under the plastics. Not sure if I will do the white areas in view outside of the plastics.
Doing some touch ups waiting for 70*F weather here in New England so I can lay down a 2K clear coat to hold things down.
Masking the white areas created many new areas to touch up as it pulled up more paint.

100_3797 (resized).JPG100_3797 (resized).JPG100_3880 (resized).JPG100_3880 (resized).JPG
#2502 5 years ago

How is this attached? When I got this pin it was attached on top of the bracket for the stop light on the ramp. How is this suppose to be attached?

20190402_190720 (resized).jpg20190402_190720 (resized).jpg

#2503 5 years ago

#2504 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

How is this attached? When I got this pin it was attached on top of the bracket for the stop light on the ramp. How is this suppose to be attached?
[quoted image]

I dont see that wireform in that location on my game... but it may just be missing in my game

#2505 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

[quoted image]

You won't need that piece with the new ramp and it is missing on a lot of the games. Pretty sure it's function was to keep the ball from getting trapped under the original ramp. My ramp is a different shape on the up hill turn so ball cannot get under the ramp.

#2506 5 years ago

Thank guys! That good to know.

2 weeks later
#2507 4 years ago

Hi Guys! Back in November, I picked up my 2nd pinball machine, a Williams High Speed. This particular machine had seen better days for sure.
Over the past five months, I’ve been working out various electrical issues. I suspect that as things started to go wrong with the game, various wires were just disconnected and left to hang under the playfield. So it took a while to sort out where everything went. The original Williams MPU was in terrible shape. The board had the typical acid damage you’d expect as well as a few missing transistors. I sent the board out for repair and as luck would have it; RottenDog during that time released a compatible replacement board for that would work for High Speed. I ordered one to try out while the original was being repaired and it works as a backup to the other game I have in my collection. With a little luck and a lot of help, I was finally able to get the game up and running and playable.
So, now to take it apart and fix the cosmetic issues. Again as luck would have it, PinballGifts will be producing new pinball Hardtop layovers for the playfield. So this weekend, I started the process to strip everything and get it ready for the next step.
I already contacted Freeplay40 to order a replacement ramp. I see a lot of photos of the clear ramp, however, he also produces these in a transparent red. I think I’m going to opt for the red.
I found another thread with a discussion on 3D printing the replacement housing for the traffic light. I have both the vertical and horizontally mounted housing being printed (in case I opt for the relocation of the light to the far left corner).
I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out… I am sure I’m going to have a few questions along the way since this is the first time I’ve attempted this.
It should be noted that I have a second stripped playfield that I am using to keep the parts on so I know where they go back when I finally get to the repopulation portion of this.

20190419_193424 (resized).jpg20190419_193424 (resized).jpg
#2508 4 years ago

Freeplay40 also does a 'smoked' version of the ramp (it's translucent black/gray). I love mine and he does awesome work. He also sells the harness extension if you plan to relocate the stop light. I did the 3D-printed horizonal stop light (I didn't end up relocating it) and love it. Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing about the Hard Top install (someday I'll get around to it).

#2509 4 years ago

Would someone mind posting a pic of the wire harness for the light beacon? My game came with a nice red dome but no beacon assembly . I have one now thinking “plug n play” but there is no connector for it left inside either...

#2510 4 years ago

Here you go.

Quoted from Completist:

Would someone mind posting a pic of the wire harness for the light beacon? My game came with a nice red dome but no beacon assembly . I have one now thinking “plug n play” but there is no connector for it left inside either...

20190422_191533 (resized).jpg20190422_191533 (resized).jpg20190422_191629 (resized).jpg20190422_191629 (resized).jpg
#2511 4 years ago

Thanks! Looks like whoever owned this in the past really hated beacons. Ripped everything out including the poor little fuse holder.

I’ll also need to figure out where the wires went. I have a GI mod to put back to normal as well. Perhaps those red wires spliced together with electrical tape are related to the beacon? Wish i had a hardcopy of manual. Hope IPDB version quality is decent.

40345A65-8D90-43C7-9B76-B0117B018A93 (resized).jpeg40345A65-8D90-43C7-9B76-B0117B018A93 (resized).jpegB7611E96-47D5-4355-BB05-E1C4AC5BB393 (resized).jpegB7611E96-47D5-4355-BB05-E1C4AC5BB393 (resized).jpeg
#2512 4 years ago

Here you go, some light reading.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-build-from-empty-cab/page/2#post-3067005

Quoted from Completist:

Thanks! Looks like whoever owned this in the past really hated beacons. Ripped everything out including the poor little fuse holder.
I’ll also need to figure out where the wires went. I have a GI mod to put back to normal as well. Perhaps those red wires spliced together with electrical tape are related to the beacon? Wish i had a hardcopy of manual. Hope IPDB version quality is decent. [quoted image][quoted image]

#2513 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks Grumpy - This will be a huge help!

1 week later
#2514 4 years ago

I had some new traffic light housings printed up using ABS plastic. They're a little rough, but I think I should be able to smooth them out with acetone vapor. I test fit the lens in one to see how well it fit and it was perfect.

20190430_191957 (resized).jpg20190430_191957 (resized).jpg20190430_192025 (resized).jpg20190430_192025 (resized).jpg20190430_192042 (resized).jpg20190430_192042 (resized).jpg
#2515 4 years ago
Quoted from detroitzoran:

I had some new traffic light housings printed up using ABS plastic. They're a little rough, but I think I should be able to smooth them out with acetone vapor. I test fit the lens in one to see how well it fit and it was perfect.

I'll take a horizontal! Sign me up! I'll smooth it out, no worries!

2 weeks later
#2516 4 years ago

I have some board work to do on my High Speed. Plugged the wire from 1j15 into either 1j13 or 1j14, I can't even remenber at this time. Now I have nothing. Was in a hurry fixing a stuck pop, now I have to dig in. Oh well

#2517 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Plugged the wire from 1j15 into either 1j13 or 1j14,

This didn't cause any trouble.

Did you connect anything to 1J15 when this happened?

#2518 4 years ago

It was a while ago and I just got space to set it back up. I don't think I did, the others don't reach. I get "8" on the mpu display when the cpu check is pressed. I just get a siren repeating if I hit sound check.

#2519 4 years ago

When I turn it on I get a very short beep and then just lights.

#2520 4 years ago

Check for the 5 and 12 volts and ground on the cpu.

#2521 4 years ago

4.92 and 10.45. Checking from the ground lug on the board if thats what you mean?

#2522 4 years ago

This is borderline. Problems start to happen at 10.5 and lower.

Also did you check the ball roll tilt, plumb bob and 3 balls installed?

#2523 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is borderline. Problems start to happen at 10.5 and lower.
Also did you check the ball roll tilt, plumb bob and 3 balls installed?

Ok, I will track down the 12v and start there. I don't think it was the tilt or plumb bob. It was set up and working with a stuck pop. Waa rushing when I put the board in the last time. When I got nothing, i checked and found my mistake of mixing up connectors. It has been folded up for a while after that.

#2524 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

It has been folded up for a while after that.

I know you just moved into the new game room so I thought that it was acting this way after being moved.

Quoted from Tomass:

I will track down the 12v and start there.

How are the caps on the PS?

#2525 4 years ago

Here is a note from the manual.

The 12 volt power is what powers the power on reset to the CPU and PIA chips.

ps (resized).PNGps (resized).PNG
#2526 4 years ago

I think the caps are all original. I will order the parts to rebuild the ps. I may have another board that I can swap in the meantime. I will check when I get home later today.

#2527 4 years ago

Put a new bridge rectifier in while your at it and the six 1n4007 diodes.

#2528 4 years ago

Will do. Thanks!

#2529 4 years ago

I have a rather unusual "quirk" with my High Speed I'd like to get an opinion on.

Everything functions great except after you shoot the ramp to "Escape". Ordinarily when you shoot the second ball it'll go up the ramp and then when it's registered in one of the lock positions, the game will then put the 3rd ball out for the shooter. My game, however, puts that third ball out for the plunger even if the 2nd ball is still sitting there unplunged.

This is the only time anything is unusual with that entire area; for example, the tire screeching noise doesn't play before the plunge (as if that switch at the plunger wasn't functioning right). The only issue is that it's putting the 3rd ball out before the 2nd has been plunged.

The only thing I can think of is the switches under the playfield that register either the 2nd or 3rd balls in "storage" are faulty? And that causes the 3rd ball to be served early? Is that the best possibility?

#2530 4 years ago

Definitely check the trough switches are working correctly and the shooter lane.

#2531 4 years ago

Yeah, my shooter switch originally would play the tire squeal even if I hadn't plunged the ball yet; I've got that working well now. So I suspect it's a trough switch. The unusual thing is it doesn't manifest itself anytime else during game play.

#2532 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

Is that the best possibility?

That would be my bet.

#2533 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Put a new bridge rectifier in while your at it and the six 1n4007 diodes.

So I tested the things I could and found r13 on the PS to be way out of spec. Not sure if that is tied to 12v or not though.

#2534 4 years ago

Also this strange film or corrosion around some of these components. Redish. I scraped some off the bigger resistors there.

20190522_184303 (resized).jpg20190522_184303 (resized).jpg
#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Definitely check the trough switches are working correctly and the shooter lane.

My initial inspection showed everything was ok. However the issue persisted.

Continuing to look into it, I eventually found the issue.

The switch detecting the 3rd ball had its wire set so that when the ball was on it the wire was getting caught on a screw on the switch. So when the ball advanced the switch was being kept engaged. A little creative wire bending with needle nose pliers took care of it!

#2536 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

found r13 on the PS to be way out of spec.

The five volts goes thru this resistor.

Quoted from Tomass:

Also this strange film or corrosion around some of these components. Redish.

This is solder flux and will not cause any harm. A brass wire brush and alcohol will remove it if you want.

#2537 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

My initial inspection showed everything was ok. However the issue persisted.
Continuing to look into it, I eventually found the issue.
The switch detecting the 3rd ball had its wire set so that when the ball was on it the wire was getting caught on a screw on the switch. So when the ball advanced the switch was being kept engaged. A little creative wire bending with needle nose pliers took care of it!

Great job! Observation is a key skill in troubleshooting.

#2538 4 years ago

The wire getting hung up is one of those hard to find problems. Setting up the exact circumstances can be more difficult than it would seem.
I once tracked a problem on an em that would only happen with the playfield down.
Took 3 weeks to nail it down.

#2539 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Setting up the exact circumstances can be more difficult than it would seem.

Definitely, this was the case here. Lifting the playfield shifted the ball in the channel which then shifted the positioning of the wire off the screw. All my electrical tests were OK; I just happened to lift the playfield at one point and the ball didn't shift, and I saw it right away.

Now that all the really annoying issues with my HS are done, I can now devote time to a non-critical one - - the beacon light. I'd swear I'm not getting the correct voltage up there thru the relay. But I want to do legit voltage readings before I post specifics here.

#2540 4 years ago

Joined the club today.

IMG_5331 (resized).jpgIMG_5331 (resized).jpgIMG_5332 (resized).jpgIMG_5332 (resized).jpg
#2541 4 years ago

Welcome

#2542 4 years ago

Awesome and Welcome!

#2543 4 years ago

Noticed that when I power on the game the knocker and kicker fire. Everything else seems to be fine. What could cause this?

#2544 4 years ago

Need trying to identify the right diode for the credit switch. Was looking at mine and noticed it was missing. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

#2545 4 years ago
Quoted from compton17:

Need trying to identify the right diode for the credit switch. Was looking at mine and noticed it was missing. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Just buy 1n4007 diodes. You can use them on switches, lamps and coils.

#2546 4 years ago

Well I rebuilt the power supply and same thing, just a quick beep and nothing else except gi lights. I really cannot remember which plug I swapped between 1j13, 1j14. 1j15 and 1j16, but what is the next place to start looking? Thanks

#2547 4 years ago

Also the displays seem to be powered and I hear speaker hum.

#2548 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

what is the next place to start looking? Thanks

Start by checking for voltages on the cpu. Use the ground test point on the cpu for measuring. Check the cathode of ZR-1, should be 12 volts. Check the 5 volt test point, should be 4.9 or better. Has C-30 been replaced?

#2549 4 years ago

Ok I get 4.96 at the 5v tp. Not sure which is cathode side but I am going to look that up. Left side of zr-1 reads 13v and the right side reads 6.06v. If c30 is not on the ps, then it probably was not replaced.

#2550 4 years ago

Sorry, I see c30 now. Now it has not been replaced.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.