(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,251 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240322_224012722 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 126.
#2452 5 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Can anybody speak on the quality of these?
ebay.com link » Williams High Speed Pinball Machine Next Gen Translite Backglass

Just based on first impressions - I would save up for a real backglass. There is a non mirrored backglass that CPR offers for $199 or a mirrored one at $249
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/high-speed/
1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

#2453 5 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Can anybody speak on the quality of these?
ebay.com link » Williams High Speed Pinball Machine Next Gen Translite Backglass

I have one in my game, looks great. If you need original, then go for it from CPR, their products are amazing as well.

#2454 5 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

I will start playfield swap soon. Also going to install the red translucent ramp from freeplay40 together with red translucent bumper housings / caps.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I went with clear caps with red, yellow and green LED rings.

IMG_20190110_210520982 (resized).jpgIMG_20190110_210520982 (resized).jpg
#2455 5 years ago

Thats cool

#2456 5 years ago

Display Problem fixes? I was hoping to put this out there and see if anyone else has had this problem with their HS.

I am perplexed with this problem on my alpha numeric display--I am trying to hold off on purchasing an LED replacement

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-alert-help-always-welcome

thanks in advance

The Dragon

#2457 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

First check D-2 for an open. If D-2 is ok then replace the battery holder.

Revisiting this since I have finished some other repair projects. I tested the diode, and it passes. Open one way, .633 the other.

I measure 4.8XX VDC at the battery pack. Same numbers going into D2. However, 4.498 VDC coming out of D2. Is the diode bad because of this? I think I’ve read that less that 4.5 will give the “dead battery” failure. If I do need to replace it, can I use the 1N400X type that I have plenty of? This diode looks like the clear/orange variety but I don’t know if that matters.

#2458 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is the diode bad because of this?

No, the P/N junction of the diode will cause a voltage drop.

Quoted from desertT1:

I’ve read that less that 4.5 will give the “dead battery” failure.

Not true, some people run coin style batteries which are only 3 volts when new and they will last for years.

Check pin 24 on U-25 with the power off for voltage, Should be @ the same as it is coming out of D-2.

#2459 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

No, the P/N junction of the diode will cause a voltage drop.

Not true, some people run coin style batteries which are only 3 volts when new and they will last for years.
Check pin 24 on U-25 with the power off for voltage, Should be @ the same as it is coming out of D-2.

Pin 24 on U25 is the same as what is coming out of D2.

#2460 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Pin 24 on U25 is the same as what is coming out of D2.

It maybe time for a new ram chip or NV ram.

#2461 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It maybe time for a new ram chip or NV ram.

Ok, I can live with that. I have a few System 11’s I want to do anyway. Thanks

#2462 5 years ago

Has anyone done scans of the rubber ring diagrams under the plastics. I am redoing a playfield and would like to make water slide decAls.

1 week later
#2463 5 years ago

I found a loose wire at the bottom the playfield. I looked around, but could not find an attachment point for it. anyone here have an idea where this wire may go?

20190224_140803 (resized).jpg20190224_140803 (resized).jpg
#2464 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

anyone here have an idea where this wire may go?

White/violet wire will go to a GI lamp socket. Take another pic out a bit farther and I may see where it goes.

#2465 5 years ago

Hmm, I don't have any light out.

20190224_153754 (resized).jpg20190224_153754 (resized).jpg
#2466 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Hmm, I don't have any light out.

I don't see the second wire connecting to the upper pop lamp.

#2467 5 years ago

I just took a look at my restoration photos. Grumpy is correct......and amazing!

#2468 5 years ago

Hmm I got the top and lower left bumper GI tied together. That was how the two GI wires where connected and stapled. Freeplay would you care to post a picture showing how this is routed?

#2469 5 years ago

Here you go...

IMG_0463 (resized).JPGIMG_0463 (resized).JPG
#2470 5 years ago

I do see the small braid coming in under the pop bumper. If that pop bumper light is working, then power is coming though the braid. Then that same braid is likely connected elsewhere to the same wire colors.

#2471 5 years ago

Thank you sir! That make more sense. And your are correct, it is connected to the same braids.

#2472 5 years ago

High Speed is the first game I've owned so this is probably more of a general question and not High Speed specific... But what would cause a mid-game reset? On occasion, mid-game, the flippers will die and scores will reset. Basically brings you back to attract mode waiting for somebody to hit the start button for a new game.

#2473 5 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

High Speed is the first game I've owned so this is probably more of a general question and not High Speed specific... But what would cause a mid-game reset? On occasion, mid-game, the flippers will die and scores will reset. Basically brings you back to attract mode waiting for somebody to hit the start button for a new game.

Voltage drop - most likely from old caps or bad connectors in the power supply

#2474 5 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

If happens when you press your flipper buttons, you could have a diode that is bad or is on it's way out on a flipper coil. I had that issue that was intermittent and it turned out to be diode on upper flipper. Replaced it and no issues since.

#2475 5 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

That sounds like the behavior of the slam tilt, so maybe it happens during more "enthusiastic" play? Or at least that's how my HS acts if I test the slam tilt; just a reset back to attract mode, no tilt message.

For what it's worth, I verified via switch edge test that I can invoke the slam tilt by closing the coin door sufficiently quickly (but nowhere close to a slam). So, doesn't take much.

Just tossing these out there in case it's applicable.

#2476 5 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of the wiring for the traffic light? My game was missing it when I bought it and I just got the repro front assembly from Pinball Life, but realized I don't have the backplate/light sockets for it. I also have not found anywhere that is selling one so I wanted to see about trying to make one myself.

#2477 5 years ago

I re-built the traffic light lamp assembly, but I did use the original metal bracket that attaches it to the ramp. I don't think it would be that hard to make a new one though.

I replaced all of the lamp sockets in my game during the pf swap so I wanted to replace the ones in the traffic light too. I re-used the standoffs because nos are not available anywhere, but you can probably find a suitable substitute.

The original lamps are attached together on a metal bracket, but you can use regular lamp sockets like I did and daisy chain them together.

Here are a few pics, the last 3 are the finished product. Let me know if you need anything specific.

IMG_0438 (resized).JPGIMG_0438 (resized).JPGIMG_0441 (resized).JPGIMG_0441 (resized).JPGIMG_0444 (resized).JPGIMG_0444 (resized).JPGIMG_0450 (resized).JPGIMG_0450 (resized).JPGIMG_0468 (resized).JPGIMG_0468 (resized).JPGIMG_0529 (resized).JPGIMG_0529 (resized).JPGIMG_0530 (resized).JPGIMG_0530 (resized).JPG
#2478 5 years ago

Hadn't had time to post this here, I started a group on FB to share info, pix and mods etc. for high speed. request to join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2269664433265000/

#2479 5 years ago

How can I tell what game ROM that I have with my game? I have read that there is an L2 and an L4, so I didn't know if I needed to update or not.

#2480 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

How can I tell what game ROM that I have with my game? I have read that there is an L2 and an L4, so I didn't know if I needed to update or not.

#2481 5 years ago

Thank you sir! I didn't know that.

#2482 5 years ago

So you've lost the key for the head lock, why bother drilling the lock out when you can cut it out completely with a dull screwdriver - yeesh!

I need the centerline dimensions for the lock in the front-to-back and left-to-right directions so that I can recreate the top of the head. Any help would be great, thanks.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
#2483 5 years ago

Greetings! New High Speed owner. I posted this question in the Tech forum, but I understand this thread is the place to go for High Speed questions.

We unfortunately had to remove the Head in order to get the machine down to my basement. Everything went swimmingly, EXCEPT in the process of getting everything set, the yellow wires soldered on the lower right corner of the Power Board snapped off. They were just severely weakened stranded wire. I have no issues resoldering them, I just wanted to verify the proper order of the wires.

The drawing in the manual makes it look like that pins 1->4 of connector 40 go: upper-left, lower left, lower right, upper right onto that corner of the power board. is that correct? Can someone with this pin give it a quick inspection to verify? I took tons of photos prior to the disassembly/reassembly, but unfortunately none of them clearly show the wire order.

Another schematic later on in the manual seems to indicate that this area of the Power Board is for "General Illumination". Based on that, I should be able to temporarily leave those wire off just to test the general function of the game (to verify proper reassembly), correct?

Cheers.

-- M

IMG_0293 (resized).jpgIMG_0293 (resized).jpg
#2484 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

Another schematic later on in the manual seems to indicate that this area of the Power Board is for "General Illumination". Based on that, I should be able to temporarily leave those wire off just to test the general function of the game (to verify proper reassembly), correct?

Yep.

#2485 5 years ago

Great! Worked fine upon the resoldering. Thanks for the sanity check.

#2486 5 years ago

Followup question.

When I power on the machine, I get the "Adjust Failure" / "Factory Setting" error (depending on if the coin door is open or closed. I've replaced the batteries, etc. When the machine does this the buttons in the coin door don't allow me do go into the menus - - they don't do anything. Eventually, after fiddling (removing and reseating batteries, etc), the pin will suddenly boot and allow us to play. When we power off though, it goes back into those errors at next power on.

Common opinion seems to be that this is normally a bad/dead battery. But I've replaced them with brand new ones. There's no damage from past battery acid on the board, and no corrosion on the terminals in the battery sockets.

What should be the next thing I look at?

#2487 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

Followup question.
When I power on the machine, I get the "Adjust Failure" / "Factory Setting" error (depending on if the coin door is open or closed. I've replaced the batteries, etc. When the machine does this the buttons in the coin door don't allow me do go into the menus - - they don't do anything. Eventually, after fiddling (removing and reseating batteries, etc), the pin will suddenly boot and allow us to play. When we power off though, it goes back into those errors at next power on.
Common opinion seems to be that this is normally a bad/dead battery. But I've replaced them with brand new ones. There's no damage from past battery acid on the board, and no corrosion on the terminals in the battery sockets.

Have you checked the battery holder itself? It probably needs to be replaced. Buy a remote holder or just use NVRam.

#2488 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

I would check for voltage on both sides of D-2 with the power off.

#2489 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

So you've lost the key for the head lock, why bother drilling the lock out when you can cut it out completely with a dull screwdriver - yeesh!
I need the centerline dimensions for the lock in the front-to-back and left-to-right directions so that I can recreate the top of the head. Any help would be great, thanks.[quoted image]

Bump, just a few measurements anyone?

#2490 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Bump, just a few measurements anyone?

CB426E4C-7E92-4E4C-9E08-97F49B8D1443 (resized).jpegCB426E4C-7E92-4E4C-9E08-97F49B8D1443 (resized).jpegC2B0CBE3-10C0-46AB-BCF4-C48584C2FAE1 (resized).jpegC2B0CBE3-10C0-46AB-BCF4-C48584C2FAE1 (resized).jpegDDF8E936-407F-462F-BA45-DF8031EA0DC1 (resized).jpegDDF8E936-407F-462F-BA45-DF8031EA0DC1 (resized).jpegB9E6B034-F84A-467D-95F9-E18F914277A2 (resized).jpegB9E6B034-F84A-467D-95F9-E18F914277A2 (resized).jpeg
#2491 5 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I got the same thing.

#2492 5 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from rwarren28806:

I got the same thing.

Thanks!

#2493 5 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Have you checked the battery holder itself? It probably needs to be replaced. Buy a remote holder or just use NVRam.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

I would check for voltage on both sides of D-2 with the power off.

Thank you muchly, gentlemen. It looks like a bad connection between the battery holder and the board. If I wiggle it I'm able to then use as normal. I'll schedule one of the options - relocating the battery holder or the NVRAM chip.

Are people happy with the NVRAM without using any batteries?

- M

#2494 5 years ago

Absolutely

#2495 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

Are people happy with the NVRAM without using any batteries?
- M

100% yes. Every System 11 game I have owned I installed NVRAM. Pretty much do it instantly. I have seen too many of these boards with corrosion, which is very painful.

1 week later
#2496 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Wow. Hard to say what they were trying to accomplish there... However, you are correct that that ground braid should be connected to the coin door. On the micro switches, my experience is that if they do click, they general work. Do need to check exactly when they click and adjust if necessary so that when a ball rolls over it that it does in fact register.

Hey Freeplay40. This is a quote from you on page 16. I was wanting to know how to adjust the micro switch. I'm thinking that I have one on the left ramp that is out of wack. It takes forever for it to kick the ball out a lot of times.

#2497 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Hey Freeplay40. This is a quote from you on page 16. I was wanting to know how to adjust the micro switch. I'm thinking that I have one on the left ramp that is out of wack. It takes forever for it to kick the ball out a lot of times.

With a micro switch, if the mounting doesn't allow for adjustment, which I'm pretty sure this one doesn't, you adjust the micro switch by bending the wireform that the ball hits. There are actually two switches in each hideout....One is the micro switch on the side and the other is a rollover switch in the center/bottom of the hideout. It's been a long time since I had to trouble shoot, but I do recall that all of the switches associated to the hideouts (The two diverter switches under the ramp, and the 4 switches in the two hideouts) must all be checked for proper function and cleaned if rollovers, or the game can get confused. The only other possible cause I can think of is a near broken or poor solder on the micro switch.

#2498 5 years ago

Thank you sir.
It looks like I have some problems to fix. I created a thread here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-switches-not-working#post-4900809

This is my first system 11 to work on so I a bit lost on how to troubleshoot this.

#2499 5 years ago

Does the ball shooter have a sleeve in it?

#2500 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Does the ball shooter have a sleeve in it?

Yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 126.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/50?hl=firegamer3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.