(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,252 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by mrbvp1
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs road sign (resized).jpg
s11_cpu_schematic_special_solenoids.jpg
20240403_131306 (resized).jpg
hs switch (resized).PNG
IMG_0889 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8210 (resized).jpeg
20240326_195103 (resized).jpg
IMG_8206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8204 (resized).jpeg
20240323_114047 (resized).jpg
20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141338781 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141224504 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_141349054 (resized).jpg
IMG_6224 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

609 posts in this topic match your search for posts by grumpy. You are on page 2 of 3.
#3467 3 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Ok disconnected the sound board and connected volume pot to CPU as you described. No sound from CPU SW1 at all just the slight hum. I ran through all the sound/music diagnostic tests as well, no sound from them to.

Since you are not getting sound from the cpu and the background sound board I would replace the op amp U-5 on the cpu board. Then retest.

#3478 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

so I took that switch apart and cut the unused lug flush like the original.

You don't need to do this, the unused terminal can be used. You don't need the bakelite board anymore, move that connection to the unused (NC) terminal.

#3481 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

So for example, in this pic the non-banded end of the diode and the wht/brn wire could be moved to NC lug instead of cutting it off, eliminating the bakelite board? If that's the case, with my current Taxi restoration I'll be getting rid of the board.

Yep. I assume the Bakelite board is cheaper then a double throw switch.

#3482 3 years ago

Also you need to have the green wires on the NO terminal.

#3484 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

So green (drive) goes to NO, white (return) goes to NC with non-banded side of the diode, and banded side of diode goes to COM?

I made you a pic. Use this for Williams and Sterns switches.

switch diode (resized).PNGswitch diode (resized).PNG
#3487 3 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

Can someone please confirm that the red white wire I'm holding attaches to the terminal that has the yellow wire that I'm holding it close too?

That wire is actually green/red and yes it does connect there or the other side of the yellow wire.

#3493 3 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Thank you Grumpy for all the help and guidance in finding the problem in no sound.

Playball!!

#3495 3 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Any idea Grumpy

Freeplay40's ramps are nice and smooth making for faster ramp speeds. You may need to use the next lighter plunger spring or adjust the first ramp switch a bit closer. The hideout kicking multiple times is because it thinks there is a ball and a broken switch. Once you sort out getting locks to the left hideout the rest will self correct.

#3504 3 years ago

Here is this one.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=A-4834-H

Quoted from LGFAutos:

Also the ramp switches as well. SW-1A-160

This one you will need to replace the contacts with new, or use a WPC flipper EOS switch parts and original parts to make a new switch.

#3514 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

It appears as though I do not have fused rectifiers. Yikes! Are the boards that Marco sells a sound investment, or is simply adding the fuses an acceptable way to bulletproof?

Both work very well.

They do not work during the coil test, nor does the kickback. I can hear the relays clicking during the test though.

Did you check the fuse for the 50 volt coils? If this is good then you are missing the ground connection on the relays. Do you have led flashers installed?

#3518 3 years ago

Fuse on the flipper power board is good, pulled it out and checked continuity

Not that fuse, there is a single fuse in the back box for the 50 volt coils. See if it is burnt. The only reason I asked about the flashers was I wanted to know how you removed the warming resistor from the circuit.

#3522 3 years ago

This little fella? He is fine

Check for voltage.

#3524 3 years ago

Little Fella is getting a whopping 0.5V on the meter with a ball in play.

Look at the top of the flipper power supply for the purple/yellow wire, check it for voltage.

#3526 3 years ago

Purple/Yella shows 0 V

How about a pic of the flipper power supply.

Is the jumper installed?

#3528 3 years ago

I’ll double check the directions but I’m pretty sure it said on Pinbot to leave off the W1 jumper.

But this is a high speed not a Pinbot.

#3532 3 years ago

Whoops! I meant High Speed...in any event, I removed the W1 jumper per the instructions. That being said, there is not a W1 on the original board (pictured). There is a D1, and if I follow the traces it appears to lead to the same pins on J3 connector as the W1 jumper would on the new board. I included a pic of the old board and it's difficult to see, but the D1 is located just below the capacitor.
[quoted image]

Why did you replace the original board? D-1 is the same as W-1 on the original board, I don't know what W-1 is used for on the replacement board with out seeing a diagram or the back of the board.

#3539 3 years ago

That still doesn't tell me what was wrong I'm the first place. And if you put the jumper back you may fix this problem.

#3547 3 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Does your left outlane kicker send the ball to the upper right flipper

Yes and sometimes all the way to the pops.

#3548 3 years ago

Here is a photo of the back of both boards

You need to put the jumper back in.

#3554 3 years ago

Small victory tonight...we have a left flipper again!

Still no kickback or hideout coils firing,

Do you have voltage at the coils?

#3563 3 years ago

No voltage at the kickback or hideout coils.

They will never work with out power. Check for power on both sides of the fuse. If good then find the purple/yellow wire in the molex connector between the back box and play field. Check for voltage on both sides of the connector.

#3565 3 years ago

The tag below the fuse holder says 2.5 amp slo blo

This is correct.

Then I fired up a game and it blew the fuse

Did you see one of the 3 coils fire or lock on? These are computer controlled coils so the shouldn't have locked on when starting a game, you might have a couple of issues going on at the same time. You should check the diodes on the 3 coils for correct orientation and that they are not shorted. Also check the switches for the 3 coils to make sure that they aren't stuck shut.

#3567 3 years ago

It appears to me that the two hideout diodes are backwards...i guess I have it in my head that the cathode should be going the other direction.

Yes they are backwards. Both of those diodes are bad now and need to be replaced. Cathode always faces the power wire. For these 3 coils the power wire is purple/yellow.

The only one I’m not sure about is the one on the kickback, but I think it’s backwards too.

This one is correct, so leave it alone.

Replace both hideout coil diodes with new in the correct direction and then replace the power fuse and all 3 coils should work then.

#3602 3 years ago

Success!! All coils are firing

Playball!

#3610 3 years ago

Start with the easy fixes first and then start checking voltages at the power supply, etc.

Check these test points.

ps (resized).PNGps (resized).PNG
#3627 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Is this assumption correct.

Yes.

Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I am getting 26 volts at all the regular solenoids under the playfield

There should be no drop. You have a poor connection somewhere. Your bridge rectifier could be on the way out.

Yes 50 volts unregulated circuit comes out at @ 65 volts. No problems there.

#3631 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Would a poor connection cause that? Voltage drop when circuit is complete versus no drop when the connector is disconnected.

When you connect that connector, you energized the flasher warming resistors. This small load should not have a effect if everything is correct. The power does not start at the power supply, just the fuse. The bridge rectifier is in the lower right corner of the back box. A bad cool diode will not cause this. This is a poor connection at the fuse, power supply connector, a dieing bridge rectifier, bad connector at the transformer or a poor solder joint.

#3633 3 years ago

Do the 50% rule. Start in the middle, then cut the half in half.

I would start with checking input to the bridge, 26 VAC. Good check the output, 34 VDC. Then jump to the fuse and check both sides, 34 VDC.

If you have a RD power supply, their connectors aren't very good.

11 (resized).PNG11 (resized).PNG
#3635 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I am a little baffled now.

I'm sure you added the fuse on the AC input to the bridge during the rebuild. Check to make sure there is good contact with the fuse to the fuse holder. Also there is two molex connectors before the bridge, make sure both are seated well. I have seen a molex pin come free from the plastic and be pushed out of the connector a bit making a poor connection.

#3639 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Not sure what I did but I am getting 37VDC off the BR now.

Those connections on the bridge rectifier need to be soldered not just crimped. Once you slide the spade connector onto the bridge terminal lug you need to solder it too.

#3643 3 years ago

So here's the math on this. AC voltage in X 1.414 for full wave rectifier - two P/N junctions for the diodes in circuit. .7 volt x 2.

You have 27.7 x 1.414 - 1.4 = 37.7.

#3645 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

When the solenoid BR is isolated (no connections on output) I get 37VDC on the output.

Isolated is the same as no load, poor connections only should up when you place a load on the circuit. 168 ohm load that you are reading from the warming resistors is only a 0.22 amp load on a 35 amp bridge rectifier. This would not even drop the output 1 volt. You have a 30% drop in voltage with a minimal load.

Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

The reason I am questioning this is because the Lamp BR does not change when loaded or unloaded - 17VDC.

This is low too, you just don't know about it because you installed leds. 14 X 1.414 - 1.4 = 18.4 VDC.
If You still had 68 #44 bulbs at .25 amp a piece, you would see a drop.

#3648 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I may be over thinking this.

Yes.

Just solder up the connectors you replaced when adding the fuses and changing the bridges.

3 months later
#3791 3 years ago
Quoted from LanceCT:

What am I missing with the solenoid test

Do you hear the relay clicking during the coil test?

#3796 3 years ago
Quoted from LanceCT:

No click no noise at all during test or play
thank you

Do you have a voltmeter?

#3799 3 years ago

Using Pin-Pilot's pic of his very nice playfield, I have marked a few of the wires. If you were to remove the ground wire from the relay and touch it to the brown wire on the relay, does the relay click now?

59d11fbdb414a192ec03ee4c7fc0e9b4469d8e0f (resized).jpg59d11fbdb414a192ec03ee4c7fc0e9b4469d8e0f (resized).jpg
#3801 3 years ago

This is all there is in the manual. But all relays for high voltage coils are wired the same. Page 47.

relay (resized).PNGrelay (resized).PNG
#3803 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Ok, perfect. Thanks
Is the design theory to take the load of the 65VDC coils off the Transistor and put it through a relay?

Yep.

#3804 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Ok, perfect. Thanks
Is the design theory to take the load of the 65VDC coils off the Transistor and put it through a relay?

You see where the mistake is in the diagram for this circuit.

#3812 3 years ago

If the switch worked in test, then do a coil test to see if the outhole coil is working.

#3822 3 years ago
Quoted from LanceCT:

Looks like a faulty fuse was the main cause of my issues, it would work intermittently... so is that a thing with a machine, that a fuse may not run at 1OO%, I am so used to car fuses either working or not working
thank you

I can be, slow blow fuses have a filament similar to a light bulb. When power goes through the filament it heats up and expands which can cause it to fracture and have no current flow. With no current flow it will cool off and contract. The fracture may touch back together and spot weld itself because of the current flow. Then it will work for a while, but break during high current draw again.

3 weeks later
#3857 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

I have looked through the Forum and can not find a fix other than change the batteries.

Either the battery holder is damaged or D-2 on the CPU is bad.

The machine is showing problems with Switch 39 and Switch 40.

Since both are switches aren't working I would think that the Green/Black wire is broken at these switches or the switch before these.

#3861 3 years ago

Do I check D-2 with a multimeter?

Yes.

All 3 of the Pop Bumpers would not fire.

In addition to checking the power wire like Pin-Pilot said, check the white switch activation wire for a break.

#3885 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What would cause the 7-segment display on the MPU to not light up at all?

No 5 volts at pins 3 and 14 of U-46.

No ground inputs at pins 1,2,7,8,10 11 and 13 of U-46.

A bad U-46 chip.

#3887 3 years ago

Sorry I might have made it sound like it was registering in test mode, but it does not.

With J-8 and J-10 removed, place game in switch test and then use a jumper wire on the header pins of the CPU. Connect J-10 pin 9 to J-8 pin 2.

Does the outhole switch #9 show up on the display?

outhole (resized).PNGouthole (resized).PNG
#3890 3 years ago

Yep, registers just fine with the jumper.

Good, this means the CPU is fine. Problem must be on the playfield.

I’m doubting even my most basic skills at this point, here is how the switch is wired up.

Why? Your wiring/soldering looks just fine.

The trough switches test and work fine, but the outhole switch does not register in test mode.

Since there are 2 green/red wires, this switch is somewhere in the middle of the 8. This means the green/red wires are good. Now since there is only 1 white/brown wire, this is the last switch of the 8. So your problem can be one of these, bad switch, bad diode, miss adjusted switch, bad connection of the white/brown wire at this switch or the previous switch or a broken wire. If you think everything with the switch is good, then hook up your jumper from the white/brown wire on the outhole switch to the white/brown wire of switch #25. Reconnect J-8 and J-10, then run the switch test again.

HS outhole (resized).PNGHS outhole (resized).PNG
#3892 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I use the red probe to go around U46 I get 5V at each pin I touch.

This can mean the cpu has not booted or that a chip upstream is bad.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

No ground inputs at pins 1,2,7,8,10 11 and 13 of U-46.

You can apply a low (ground) to one or more of these pins and segments of the 7 segment display should light. Each pin is one segment of the display.

#3893 3 years ago

Ran the jumper from the outhole switch to switch #25 Standup Target Arrow 1, and it registers.

Ok, so now you are down to a bad connection on the previous switch or a broken wire.

#3896 3 years ago

Playball!!

#3897 3 years ago

** GRUMPY FOR PRESIDENT 2020 **

Hell no, I'm already a king!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3899 3 years ago

The 7447 chip is a BCD to seven segment driver chip. BCD is the way computers can count with just highs and lows. The 7447 chip converts the 4 BCD inputs to the seven segment outputs.

#3903 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I’m wondering if the 7447 is bad,

That's what I'm thinking.

#3924 3 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Hello High Speeders,
I have an issue with my HS, where the Left side GI is out.
I was wondering if anyone has encountered this before and has any specific problem point? I measured the voltage on the power driver board, it seems to have 4 yellow leads coming out, I presume these are for the GI. The voltages measure 12 and 9 V. It seems a bit odd, not sure if my meter is acting up or how this circuit works. The continuity seems fine between the PF harness, so I'm hoping someone can help me confirm if I am measuring this correctly or may have an idea where I may look next. Everything else works fine.
Thank you-

Have you tested the 4 GI fuses yet?

#3925 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

New 7447 came in today. No luck. The 7-segment is still out on the MPU.

Did you install a socket for the 7447 chip? Is the cpu booting?

1 week later
#3928 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I did install a socket. I don’t know if the CPU is booting, is there a way to know without the 7-segment showing anything?

You could check the voltage of the blanking signal.

1 week later
#3970 3 years ago

The resistor on the left had its top connection loose so I soldered it back on. Can not start game - kids sleeping. Does this picture look right and could this fix my flashers problem? Thanks.

Yes, but if you are running led flashers you will need to disconnect the smaller resistor to keep the flashers from being stuck on at power up.

1 week later
#3994 3 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

What is the best way to remove the head?

Have a friend help you.

#4007 3 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

I want to add under cab led lighting that is 12vdc.

Do you want this lighting to be interactive with game play or constantly on?

#4009 3 years ago
#4011 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

You mean the rounded part should face 12:00 and not 6:00 when open?

Still face 6:00, but reversed.

#4013 3 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

I was hoping to find a solution where I wouldn't have to plug/unplug it after I am done playing.

I have moved the power wire for the service outlet to the switched side power. So I do leave mine plugged in permanently. I have done this to all my machines in the game room. Looks nice when they are all on.

#4019 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

This one has me stumped.

What do you have set for adjustments 08 and 50?

#4021 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

the knocker started working again during gameplay!

Happy Turkey day.

Playball!!

#4023 3 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Any help is appreciated.....................

I would remove the power supply from the back box and check for a cracked header pin solder joint on the large top connector.

#4024 3 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Put machine in diagnostic mode and pops and slings work. Start a new game, they don't.

Check this pin for a cracked header pin.

hsps (resized).PNGhsps (resized).PNG
#4036 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Can anyone confirm that flipper EOS caps are not necessary assuming you're using series wound flippers?

Not needed for series wound.

#4042 3 years ago

Check the output of the power supply.

#4049 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

One is for the speakers. Two in question are the 1J15 and 1J13.

Speakers wires go to 1J15. Solenoid ground wires go to 1J13.

#4056 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Where is info on how to do this for High Speed...thanks.

Find the bridge rectifiers in the lower right back box. Cut one of the blue wires and one of the red wires. Install a fuse holder in between the red wires and another fuse holder in between the blue wires. Install a 8 amp slow blow fuse in each holder.

pi (resized).PNGpi (resized).PNG
#4062 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

The blanking circuit is a protection circuit.

Yes.

Quoted from desertT1:

The blanking circuit must be inactive for the CPU board to boot and function.

Or random coils and lamps would lock on and melt down TIPs. Once the CPU has booted the blanking signal is active. This active blanking signal also goes to the decoding circuit for the seven segment display on the CPU.

blanking (resized).PNGblanking (resized).PNG
#4064 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

If I'm reading this correctly U48 pin 6 should get 5V? I am getting that

After booting correctly this should be a low.

#4066 3 years ago

U-43 555 chip makes the blanking signal. U-51 PIA chip pin 4 resets U-43 chip by way of U-36 and Q-50. If U-43 doesn't get reset at the correct intervals it will stay low disabling solenoids, displays and lamps. If U-43 is reset correctly the output will be high on pin 3.

#4068 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

U43-3 is low. U51-4 is 4.75V. U55-1 is low, U55-2 is 5V. SR20-4 is low, the rest are all 5V.

Have you tested the reset circuit?

#4070 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is that at simple as seeing 4.96V on the reset test point and saying it’s good?

The reset circuit is active during power up. It is low for a specific amount of time then goes high. This reset pulse goes to a number of chips to to synchronize the timing of these chips. Connect your logic probe to the reset pin, then power on the game. Should read low for @ a third of a second then go high. If the pulse is too short or non existent, the CPU wont boot correctly. This reset pulse needs to be checked at all chips it goes to.

#4079 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Thank you. So looking under the playfield I see 7 resistor boards? Also counting the bulbs there are 8 in the radar section, 4 in the red covers, and 2 back behind the ramp. Am I missing any?

There are 4 in the back box.

#4082 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Hope to take the ground off on each board then put in leds.

If there are 2 grounds on the board, you need to keep them together when you remove them from the board.

#4084 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

If 2 grounds remove them both.

Yes, but keep both wires twisted together with a wire nut.

#4090 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

This one has the black ground plus another colored wire.

If you look very careful you will see that they are not connected at the same spot on the terminal board.

#4092 3 years ago

If you follow the extra wire, where does it go to? Does it go to the switches on the upper loop?

#4094 3 years ago

Take both off and keep them together and put on a wire nut for insulation. Most likely Williams ran out of black wire towards the end of the day.

#4102 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

I have a SFL-23-600/30-2600 coil. But that coil has the one diode on it, while the drawings in the manual have 2.

I didn't see where the manual showed 2 diodes. But I can tell you for certain it only needs one.

#4107 3 years ago

Could also be a bad diode on the switch.

#4117 3 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Does that still sound like dirt/grime build up or more diode type issues>

Dirt.

#4131 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

These are LED Pinscore displays that have been on and fine for a little more than a month. I reseated both sides of the ribbon cable coming out of the MPU with no change. The board has a test button on it and when I press that it changes what is displayed, but it’s still not clear. Because the test button would just be sending info to the displays and not getting data from the MPU I have a feeling it’s the board that all of the displays plugged in. Any thoughts?

Has the cpu board had acid damage?

#4134 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Other than that, does anyone have any input as to anything else I can look for or check?

You are correct in saying the bulbs are in pairs wired in series. So if one bulb burns out then neither bulb will work. So start by replacing both bulbs with known working bulbs. If you are using led flash bulbs, you need to insure the the lamp socket is wiring is polarity correct or they will not work. Also when you run a test for the flashers you need to run solenoid test (solenoid #22) and not a lamp test. During a game this flasher is controlled by the two roll over switches at the top of the game. If new bulbs don't work in solenoid test you can take a jumper wire with one end tied to the ground braid, touch the other end to the metal tab of Q-79. If they work with the jumper and not in test, you have a board issue. If they don't work in test or with the jumper you have a playfield issue.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNGccc (resized).PNGccc (resized).PNG
#4137 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

If you could be so kind as to point me at the metal tab of Q79 that would be awesome.

ddd (resized).jpgddd (resized).jpgfff (resized).PNGfff (resized).PNG
#4138 3 years ago

Your a fast learner!

#4141 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Guess I'm back to chasing wires!

The positive power for the top flasher bulbs is a pair of red wires on the left flash bulb socket. It needs to be on the center pin of the socket just like my pic except these are orange wires. The other wire should be a brown wire connected to the side terminal. This brown wire goes over to the right bulb socket and should connect to the center pin. The side terminal should have a light orange wire on it, it will go to the resistor board and connect to both resistors. A black wire will connect to the other end of the 330 ohm resistor. A blue/black wire will connect to the other end of the 5 ohm resistor. You will need to remove the black wire or lift one end of the 330 ohm resistor to keep the leds from staying lit all the time. If this is wired correctly then take your jumper wire and connect it to the ground braid and the other end you BRIEFLY touch it to the light orange wire, the flash lamps should light. If that works then touch the jumper to the blue/black wire. If they don't work then the 5 ohm resistor is bad.

#4143 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

[quoted image]
Not sure what happened to my typing.
All appears wired as you describe. Only difference being there are two black wires together on the end of the 330 ohm resistor. The blue black wire looks like yellow with a thin blue line and black stripes. Don't have an alligator clip so I had to twist jumper around ground braid. No flashing occurred from touching either wire.

Since it didn't work when grounding, you either have a broken wire (orange or brown) or you don't have power on the red wire. Start by testing for power on the red wire. Then test the brown wire at the right lamp. Lastly test for power on the orange wire at the resistor.

#4145 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

So what do I have to look forward to in a board issue?

Do you have a logic probe?

#4151 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

What am I poking with it?

You will be poking at these parts. They are on the CPU board.

U-50 is a TTL level NOR chip. It's truth table is below. Zeros are lows and ones are highs.

Q-78 Is a signal transistor, part # 2n4401

Q-79 Is a Darlington Pair high current transistor. It actually is 2 transistors, 2 resistors and a diode in one package.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4152 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I reversed it so the red on both sides was opposite from what it normally is and that cleared it up.

Sounds like a bad ribbon cable.

#4153 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Could these be not_ non ghosting bulbs?

Yes this is a standard led bulb, it is used in the GI (general illumination). GI doesn't need non ghosting bulbs.

Quoted from Hangernade:

They seem to take turns being bright or dim at random.

The lamp sockets are corroded or loose fitting. You can squeeze the sockets with pliers so the bulbs fit tighter.

#4159 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

How does one probe them exactly?

There are 2 clips to connect, the black to ground just to the left of the battery holder and red clip to the 5 volt test point by the ram chip. Set the switch to TTL because that's the logic chips you will be testing. Now you can touch the pointed tip to places that needs testing. So if you place game in solenoid test, and lock it on solenoid #22. The machine will now turn on the enable signal ( U-50 pin 6) and also send a pulsed test signal to U-50 pin 5. The base of Q-78 needs a high signal to turn on. If you look at the truth table for a NOR chip you will see there is only one way to get a high output, you need to have both inputs low. Now with the machine in test, U-50 pin 6 should be low and pin 5 will be high with low pulses. When you test pin 4 you should get a low with a high pulse. If all this test correctly you know that U-50 is working. Then you move on to Q-78 and test. The pin out shows that the middle lead is the base, and if U-50 is working correctly there should be a low with high pulses at Q-78 base lead. If this is correct you move on to the base of Q-79. The pin out shows that the left lead is the base, If Q-78 is working it will have a high pulse going from the collector thru it and out the emitter to Q-79 base lead. If the base of Q-79 has a low with a high pulse on it then you know that Q-78 is working correctly. Lastly probe Q-79 collector while still in solenoid test, You should get a high signal with a low pulse on it. If you don't then the TIP 122 is bad. TIP 122s can be replaced with TIP 102s as they are 60% stronger.

#4162 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Okay, if I'm doing this correctly-
U-50 pin 6 = low
U-50 pin 5 = high
U-50 pin 4 = low
However, I'm not seeing any indication of pulsing. I bought the exact logic probe you have. It looks like the other light should blink for pulses? Can you direct me to something else to check that should pulse just so I can verify that probe works and I can see how pulses are indicated?

Sounds like you are doing this correctly to me.

Did you have the game in solenoid test? On solenoid #22?

#4164 3 years ago

Try this again on a working coil for a logic probe test. Do solenoid #21 this time.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNG
#4168 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Yes, coil 22. Top flasher.

Do you have the pulse/mem switch set to pulse?

#4170 3 years ago

When you check a different solenoid the pins on U-50 are different and so are the transistors.

#4172 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Okay, I'll take the hit on testing the wrong pins. Went back and did it again.
U-50 pin 3 L
U-50 pin 2 H
U-50 pin 1 L
Again, no pulsing.
I did poke a few random pins to test as to whether or not probe is registering them. I did find a pin that made it pulse.

When you were on solenoid 21 test, was the lower pop bumper firing? Did you see the green/red arrows on the probe alternating while testing?

#4174 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Nothing was firing and don't think arrows were alternating. The pulse light flickered once or twice but that's all.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Start the solenoid test over again from the beginning, note down which solenoids don't work.

#4176 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Seems that 17 through 22 are not working in test mode.

Ok, this is what I was thinking was going on. Lets go back one chip and do some more testing. Put the game back in solenoid test for #22. Find U-49 and tests pins 13 and 12. Both should be pulsing in test.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4178 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Both test high with no pulse.

Since the inputs for U-49 come from three different chips which I doubt all three are bad at the same time so I'm going to assume that U-49 is bad. If you had a pair of electronics mini shear cutters I would have you cut U-49 pin 13 in half. This would isolate U-49 from U-54. Then you could test the trace instead of the chip leg for the pulses.

#4179 3 years ago

I see from you CPU pics that U-51 and U-54 are both in sockets, you could remove both chips and swap them. Then retest for pulses on U-49 as before. But you need to be very careful when removing and installing chips so you don't damage the chips or sockets.

#4181 3 years ago

So then U-49 must be bad. Are you capable of this type of repair?

#4182 3 years ago

Also have you tried the top flashers in a game? Just because they don't work in solenoid test doesn't mean they wont work during a game now that you fixed the bulb socket.

#4185 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Yes, been playing game a lot. No flashers during play.

Ok so put the game in solenoid test on #22. Probe U-50 pin 5, then push one of the 2 upper play field switches that trigger the upper flashers. Does pin 5 switch from high to low?

#4187 3 years ago

Normally the 6 special solenoids are controlled by a switch on the playfield, but this special solenoid is controlled by the computer. Which means U-49 has to work for these flasher to work during game play. The other 5 special solenoids has playfield switches so they work during a game but not in test. If you want to do a final test you can hook up a jumper wire to the ground braid and touch the other end to the connector J-19 pin 9. If the driver and predriver and the nor chip are working the flash lamps will light when pin 9 is grounded.

#4191 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Yes it does flash when jumped this way. So I'm replacing U-49? What is it called and where can I find one?

This a hex buffer amplifier.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7407

#4196 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

For .85 each is it worth buying extras? Haven't checked the shipping yet.

I usually buy a few of everything I get to make shipping seem better. You could add some 2n4401, TIP 102, 1n4007 for the future.

#4197 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

Hi all, I have been working some on a cpu board. Everything works when playing but when you go to diagnostic mode at first none of the special solenoids would fire. I replace Q72 and Q73 along with Q 79 and Q 78. Now everything but the R pop works in diagnostic mode. I was looking at the caps to the one side of them and it looks like they are soldered on top each other. Is this a normal thing or what is going on there? It also to me looks like C 70 isn't as it should be. This is also in the circuit that has issues. I'm mainly wondering is this normal for this board? I forgot that I also replace u45 and u49
Thanks in advance.
Troy
[quoted image]

You have a late run 11a board. Those are zener diodes that were added from the factory as an improvement to the board. The 11A boards have a place on the circuit board for the zener diodes with labeling.

C-70 should have a zener on it just like the other 5, but this is not the cause of your issue.

#4201 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Going to put my ignorance out here for all to see.... Can anyone point out which chip I am removing to install an nvram socket/chip?

U-25, be very careful when removing old chip. Best to cut old chip off and pull each leg one at a time, then clear all holes. Solder in new socket and install chip.

#4202 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

Thanks Grumpy, so would you suggest putting a zener on top of c 70? And what would be the specs? I wasn't sure what was going on with this.

I use the 1 watt version instead of the 1/2 watt original.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4735A

#4203 3 years ago

Make sure you install it in the correct direction.

WIN_20210118_22_34_17_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210118_22_34_17_Pro (resized).jpg
#4206 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

You're not from the school that says save old one in case you need it test something in the future? Does sound easier your way. Now I need one of those little cutters.
Don't happen to know anything about Stargate cocktail tables do you? Need to do an nvram upgrade on that also. Only chip I see that looks like the right one has more pins than the nvram.

Saving the chip is fine IF you have the equipment and experience to remove them without damaging the board. Remember the board is 400.00 the chip is 5.00.

As far as the stargate goes, i don't have any knowledge on them. But I do know there are different sizes of NVram chips available for different size ram chips.

#4209 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

Thanks again. Since I have it out I'll get it installed. Now back trying to find out why the Right pop doesn't fire in test mode.

Do you have a logic probe?

#4213 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

Yes I have a logic probe

So the right pop works during game play but not in test, correct?

Then everything in the first pic is working but the C input.

In pic 2 you see the C input comes from U-49 pin #4. Hook up your logic probe and place game in solenoid test and repeat solenoid #19. Test U-49 pins 3 and 4.
Let me know what you get.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNGbbb (resized).PNG
#4216 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

You said to check pins 3 and 4on U-49. Isn't that for B and not C? I did test 3-6 and all of them are reading high when its on for the Right pop.

Hard to say with the poor manual copy on the internet. Your right it should be pins 5 and 6.

fff (resized).PNGfff (resized).PNG
#4217 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

I did test 3-6 and all of them are reading high when its on for the Right pop.

Repeat the test same as before. Test it a the start of the signal. See what you have.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNG
#4220 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

U 39 pin 19 High then pulses Low

Good.

Quoted from Troyster42:

U 49 Pin 5 Pulses Hi and Low Pin 6 just pluses low, no high indication.

Good.

Bad, So somewhere between U-49 pin 6 and U-45 pin 2 there is a break in the trace or a cold solder joint on one of these two pins.

If you can take a pic of the front and back of the CPU I may be able to see the problem.

#4223 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

(I'm not sure the proper name for it)

It's called a via.

Quoted from Troyster42:

I know its not the best thing but I thought of a jumper from the one point to the leg.

Nothing wrong with this.

#4228 3 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

GRUMPY
I got the board back in hooked up and everything is working now! Thanks again for all the help!

Playball!

#4229 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

New item for my to-do list. Been noticing lately that when the ball gets kicked out of the right hide out I hear a clunk by the left flipper. Finally looked at the right moment, and yup, the kicker by the left flipper flipper kicked as the ball got kicked out of the right hideout. Not sure if kicker was lit or not, going to have to keep watching.

Try replacing the diode on the hide out coil.

#4231 3 years ago

Yep.

#4239 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Is the lamp in the original design part of the lamp matrix?

No , it's controlled as a solenoid.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

And what is the supply voltage to the beacon motor?

24 volts.

#4241 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I see the diode on the ceiling of the backbox, that's why I was wondering if the lamp was controlled by it.

This diode is to stop emi pulse from the relay coil that turns on the lamp and motor.

#4244 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I remember a while ago that the 2 left ones worked before, now none. In solenoid test I got one bulb to flash for a second and then nothing.

Retest with 4 known working bulbs.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Cab someone please explain the special solenoid thing please.

Special solenoids are usually controlled directly by a switch on the playfield. Controlled solenoids are computer controlled.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Which items in the game use them?

In most system 11 games special solenoids are the pop bumpers and the left/right slings.

#4259 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Kind of embarrassing that I left it in there this long.

Call me crazy but I don't see anything wrong with this, didn't hurt the game, totally reversible and left the game original. Ok maybe the wires could have been longer and it should have had lithium batteries.

Top 4 reasons for CPU damage in pinball machines:

1. Nicad batteries being charged constantly on the CPU.
2. Changing the formula of Alkaline AA batteries causing them to leak prematurely.
3. Installing leds.
4. Installing NVRAM chips.

#4263 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

A bit caveman but it worked I suppose.

Yeah the gold screw isn't really necessary.

#4268 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

except for the two red light flashers on left side.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Anyone have any ideas?

Check the wires for the correct polarity on the bulb sockets.

#4270 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Also noticed earlier that the kickback light is now staying on all the time. Don't know if it's related.

Shouldn't be related to the flasher issue. You did insulate the ground wires you removed from the resistor boards?

#4273 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Curious how installing leds can screw up the cpu

I have seen this hundreds of times, people installing leds with the power on to see if they like the color and short the lamp matrix to the gi or worse yet to a coil.

#4278 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

As for my kickback light staying on, now the kickback isn't kicking back

Check the switch in switch test.

#4279 3 years ago
Quoted from detroitzoran:

The sound on my game has been my nemesis for years. The problem is that the background music is much much louder then then other sounds (rollovers, spinners, targets, ect.) Some sounds like the horn and some call-outs are wayyyyy louder then they need to be.

Do you have the correct CPU board in the game?

#4281 3 years ago

Yes I do have the original Williams board.

Has there been any repairs done to the upper left corner of the cpu board?

#4288 3 years ago

How about a pic of the CPU board.

#4293 3 years ago

It does. I don't have the skill myself to work on the boards, so I've had them professional checked out when I get a game.

Can you tell me what the colors are on this resistor?

ccc (resized).jpgccc (resized).jpg
#4301 3 years ago

R23 looks like it's Gold\Red\Violet\Red

This is correct. I thought I was onto something for a brief second.

You could add an adjustable pot to raise the background sounds, then lower the overall sound by adjusting the cabinet volume pot.

#4309 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Forgot to look up name of part but plastic case is damaged.

This is the flipper relay and the crack is not a problem.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Resistors look like the "mortar" is breaking down.

Normal.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Jumper wire on back bypassing bad trace.

Trace was burned off from a coil locking on, most likely a larger amp fuse was installed which then made the trace burn instead of the fuse. Jumper has fixed the burnt trace now, so not an issue.

#4310 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Did I screw something up or is the replaced hex buffer amplifying another issue?

Not sure yet, there will have to be some testing done first to know.

Start by removing 1J-19 connector from the cpu. This will stop all special solenoids from working so you don't melt a coil. Then connect your logic probe up and turn on the game. Probe the 6 wires on 1J-19 connector, what do you get?

#4314 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Probe the 6 wires on 1J-19 connector, what do you get?

My mistake, I need you to probe 1J-18. Leave it connected and probe the six orange wires.

#4315 3 years ago

I didn't realize that was a possibility.

Not something I normally recommend but you say you don't do board work. If were me I would just replace R23 with a different value until I liked the level. For you, you can mount a 10K pot to the side of the back box and use some jumpers like these.

#4325 3 years ago

I thought about buying a spare set...

I have a spare set I would sell.

#4333 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/109597
Here's one on the market in red (not wire forms though)

The coin door is too much.

#4339 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Top most orange wire reads low. Rest read high.

Remove the connector from J-18 and test the pins on the board with the logic probe.

#4340 3 years ago

You're right. I know my ability to do boardwork and wouldn't attempt it, however I have a guy who does all my boards, so I'll take it to him and see if he can add the pot. Anything specific I should ask for?

Are you sure you want to make this permanent? You can do the temporary fix without even removing the board.

#4342 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

From top down they read:
H
H
H
H
Nothing
Nothing
H
H

I don't how this could happen, but the activation switch for the pop bumper is closed. Did you also do some work under the play field too?

#4344 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Only disconnected the small resistors for the flashers.

It could just be a coincidence then. Lift the play field a look at the right pop activation switch contacts. They should be open until you push on the skirt. If they are open, then there is a cap mounted to the switch that may have shorted out making it seem like the switch is closed. You can cut the lead of the cap to retest.

#4348 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Capacitor covering is "split?", not sure if that is an indicator as to whether or not it is bad

Just a shrink wrap covering, no big deal.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Can't read any of the pop bumper caps to identify them.

This is the switch that needs to be open.

SS RC network (resized).PNGSS RC network (resized).PNGddd (resized).jpgddd (resized).jpg
#4350 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

what are the resistors on the pop switches for?

The resistor/capacitor combination makes RC circuit which will lengthen a quick pulse from the closed switch into a longer pulse. The longer pulse will make the coil fire harder.

#4351 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

I only ask because they worked fine prior to swapping the hex buffer.

Are these 2 tabs touching or is it just a bad pic angle?

aaa (resized).jpgaaa (resized).jpg
#4362 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

So I cut the capacitor on the right pop bumper. Put game in coil test and everything tested fine. Played a game to test it out. Played fine until the third ball when I started getting some random bumps on the right pop bumper. It wasn't hammering away or locking on, just a few random pops and the ring seemed to be mostly staying in the middle. I turned game off before any more magic smoke could come out. Could the bypassed capacitor cause this behavior or am I still chasing gremlins? Tried to figure out which capacitors they are but could not find them on GPE. Anyone able to help identify them? 22uf 25v radial capacitor?
Also- I have the instruction manual but where can I find the playfield schematics? Found a 78 page trouble shooting system 9 manual online that mentions High Speed but I haven't gotten all the way through it yet.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe a good starting point would be to replace all 5 on the game with new. Then retest.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CEA-22uF-50V-VX

Oh yeah, make sure they go in the correct direction.

#4364 3 years ago

3 pop bumpers and 2 kickers.

Snubber relays are a whole different thing, some other time maybe if they are giving trouble.

25 volt caps are all that are needed but harder to find. 50 volt caps are easy to find and are more durable.

#4376 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Waiting on pics lol

I'm old and to slow.

I figured it was pretty hard to go wrong for $25.

This is a great deal, hard to pass up on.

The lower right one of these is missing the rear support..

Weld one on, good as new for powder coating.

#4378 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Could this be the resistor (doesn't look like a capacitor)on the coil? Time for a new coil?

No, this is a diode. No, coils either work or don't.

Quoted from Hangernade:

New switch and see what happens?

Maybe, the gold coating on the contacts may have worn thru. You can clean them with a crisp new dollar bill, and see if that helps. If this helps for a couple weeks and then it goes back to misfiring, then replace the switch and diode with new.

#4379 3 years ago

I didn't mean my comment on you critically!

I didn't take it that way, I was just being very honest. Had to service both mine and wife's vehicles on Sunday and time just got the better of me.

#4381 3 years ago

Here a pic. They are complete, no broken welds. Chrome looks very good. Maybe a 9-9.5 out 10 with some hand polishing.

WIN_20210209_20_41_03_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210209_20_41_03_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210209_20_41_28_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210209_20_41_28_Pro (resized).jpg
#4386 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

By the way Grumpy I want to thank you for all your help.

Playball!

#4388 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Having some issues with my HS that was in storage for a couple of years. Set up a few weeks ago. Placed new batts in the remote holder. It is not keeping memory and on every power up she goes to "adjust failure".

Most likely the battery holder is bad, or D-2 is open.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Next I had about 5 switches not working. As of yesterday about 12 not working and I haven't touched the game in between. I checked the connectors from head to PF and all seem tight. Re-seated 1J8 and 1J10. No change. No stuck switched in test mode

Which switches? Most likely a broken wire.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Some segments out on both alpha numeric displays, although all light in test mode.

How about a pic.

#4392 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Made a little progress w the switches. While testing each switch I pushed on connector 1J8 and some started working again, still not working are in row 7, which are lower L stop target green #15, R stoplight bank yel # 23, L outlane #31 and upper L hideout #39. The other 2 switches in that row are working so I need to find the common denominator. It's weird that the switch before those 4 and the switch after on the matrix table are working. I'm thinking maybe a break in continuity between 39 and 47 is possible since the first switch in the row is on the coin door.
I also want to add that the alpha numeric displays only work fully when it's testing only one digit at a time, when doing all at once, the segments are missing as they are in game play.

You need to post a pic of the CPU board.

#4394 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Also found broken diode lead on left eos switch engine reving feature.

A new diode should fix this one.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Any specific area you want to see?

Just a good pic of the center of the board from ribbon cables to J-8.

#4395 3 years ago

Here was the bad switches. Then you pushed on J-8 and some started working. Mark which ones that are still not working. Do you think J-8 connector is bad or that there is a cracked solder joint on the header pin.

aaa (resized).PNGaaa (resized).PNG
#4397 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The CPU has been worked on as you can see

This cpu has had some serious alkaline damage in the past. I have seen this type of damage run down the board to J-8. To which the connector and the header pins need to be replaced to insure good connections in the future.

With the much alkaline above the battery holder I'm surprised that the displays work at all.

#4402 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

should I try a new switch?

Yes, and never reuse a diode.

#4407 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Okay, so played a few games today and the kickback was firing with the right hideout again.

Quoted from Hangernade:

My kickback was firing intermittently when the ball got kicked out of the right hideout so I replaced the hideout diode

Did you change out the diode on the snubber relay too?

#4409 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Thinking about it I'm not sure the switch diode would really make a difference.

This is correct thinking, you need to be concerned with the coil and the relay.

#4416 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Then hit the rod with a dab of white litho grease.

You shouldn't use grease on the shaft, all you need to do is wax the shaft.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

shot the get away ball by the shooter rod and it jumped to the right hideout

The left ramp switch isn't working. This is why the ball is passing the left hideout. Check the diode first, if good then check the switch adjustment.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I also noticed a repair has been done on the diverter under the PF, some kind of glue or epoxy on one of the arms connected to one of the shafts.

If indeed the left divertor arm is not moving in unison with the right divertor the game will not know where the ball is causing a ball search on the left hideout coil.

1 week later
#4450 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

All fuses intact, all connectors appear connected.

Do you have the add on bridge rectifier fuses? If yes, did you check the one for the coil power? If you don't have a fuse then you need to test the power output from the coil power bridge rectifier on the orange and black wires.

Quoted from Hangernade:

and snubber(believe Grumpy mentioned also replacing that one).

Did you also replace the diode on the blue relay?

#4451 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

I replaced the diodes on the bottom switch

Quoted from Hangernade:

Hideout is not firing now

Did you install the diode in the correct direction?

switch diode (resized).PNGswitch diode (resized).PNG
#4453 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Am I just putting a DMM across the orange and black wire terminals?

Yep. Should be @ 32-35 volts DC.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Did not change diode on relay. Should I?

Yep.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Turns out it blew. Not sure where it goes to but maybe it's what's holding me up now. Going to pick some up tomorrow.

This is the fuse for the 70 volts coils that have snubber relays.

#4457 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Coil was loose in bracket the other day so I tightened it up but it moves freely.

A loose coil, wear on the plunger link holes, a dirty sleeve, a dry pivot pin are a few reasons for a weak coil. Could also be burnt contacts on the relay caused by a bad snubber board capacitor/diode. The blue and brown wires on the relay can also be moved to the opposite side terminals and you will have a new set of contacts to use for another 35 years.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4459 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

What can be used on a dry pivot pin? I thought lubrication is a no-no.

98% of the time lubrication is not needed in pinball machines, but on a metal to metal contact area like this pivot pin I clean both parts very well and then use one drop of CLP oil on the pin then reassemble it. This will last ten years in a home use pin.

#4461 3 years ago

I have an early run pin so my machine has different relays then yours. Having both contacts jumpered like yours is the best way to run. So just replace the diode.

#4463 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Anything else to try?

So its not a friction issue now. All that is left is a power or ground problem. Do you have a jumper wire with some alligator clips? You can connect one end of the jumper to the ground braid and the other end to the snubber board terminal where the brown/black wires connect to test the ground wire. Retest with a ball in the hideout. You can also test the power by connecting the jumper wire to the purple/yellow wire on the left hide out coil to the purple/yellow wire on the right hide out coil. Then retest.

#4465 3 years ago

Sounds like it's time for a new relay then. You said that the cover comes off easy. Remove the cover and look at the point contacts, are they burnt?

#4467 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

They seemed pretty clean when I examined them.
You said there are different relays used? Mine is the DPDT type yes?

Correct. On early games like mine there are automotive 12 volt black cube relays with a dropping resistor and no snubber boards.

#4470 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Relays in machine are 13 amp.

Kind of an odd rating, most are 10 or 15 amps.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Found a local place that has 10 amp relays. Would that work as a replacement or no?

Yes they would, with both sets of contacts tied together you would have a 20 amp rating.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Anyone know if these work with HS?

Yes they would work with some reworking of the wiring.

#4472 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

It would take more than just connecting the existing wires to the proper terminals?

Yes and no, you would also need to find standoffs and screws to mount the board. Make new holes in the playfield for mounting.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Any chance you would be able to enlighten me as to how to do that?

Start by unsoldering all the wires from the relay and snubber board, then remove both items.
Find a good location to mount the new snubber board, hopefully where all the old wires can reach.
Find some circuit board standoffs (pic below) like these from PBL for mounting.
Connect the 2 black wires to the ground terminal.
Connect the 2 red wires to the power terminal.
Connect the grey/black wire to the drive terminal.
Do not connect anything to the NC terminal.
Connect the blue wire from the hideout coil to the coil terminal.
You will have 1 brown and 1 blue wire left over, you do not need them as you are done and ready to test it.

#4474 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

These eliminate the relays?

Yes, the relay on the new board would be replacing the blue relay screwed to the play field.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Are they a decent upgrade or nothing special?

I don't know if I would call it an upgrade. There wont be any improvements to game play or longevity of parts. More of a consolidation of parts to one board. Now for early games like mine which have no snubber portion and just the relay, this would be an improvement for removing EMI pulses.

#4475 3 years ago

I stand corrected, there is one upgrade to using this replacement snubber board. The resistor is a larger wattage then the original that is usually burnt to a crisp just like yours on your game.

#4477 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Could someone tell me the resistor value for the resistors on the PF switches, pop bumpers etc?

100 ohm.

#4480 3 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

How confident are you that it's my relays?

That's the only thing that you haven't bypassed yet.

Quoted from Hangernade:

Could the resistor be causing my problems?

The resistor is part of the EMI pulse reducing circuit, even if you were to remove the resistor and cap the coil will fire.

As a final test you could connect a 2 jumper wires, one to the blue and one to the brown wires of the relay terminals. Care must be taken so they don't touch each other. Then lower the PF with the wires around the side of the PF. Turn on the power and drop a ball into the hideout. Briefly touch the ends of the jumper wires together, this will be the same as the relay activating. Does the ball pop out with force now that you bypassed the relay?

1 week later
#4496 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

and could it have something to do with the problem?

No, this board is for the lamp and coil power. Since you don't have displays, you have a low 5 volt issue or a blanking issue.

#4498 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

Looking for some help! During game play only the Upper Jet Bumper works. During test mode only the Upper and Lower Jet Bumpers work. Any advise?

So the upper jet bumper is fine and since the lower left jet bumper works in test but not during a game, most likely an activation switch issue. The switch is out of adjustment or has a broken wire. Now for the right jet bumper not working in test or game play, there maybe a board problem, a switch problem, a broken power wire/ground wire problem, a bad coil and or a combination of these issues. You can start by briefly grounding the metal tab of Q-73 transistor with a jumper wire to see if the coil fires. If it does fire then you know the power/ground wires and the coil are good. Then you will need to look for a board problem. let us know what you find.

#4506 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Does anyone know the part number for the shooter rod housing sleeve? Don't see it in manual or parts cat.

https://www.pinballlife.com/ball-shooter-sleeve.html

#4513 3 years ago

I assume one of my switches needs to be adjusted a little closer....Is that correct?

This game is 35 years old, the switches are most likely originals and the gold plating is just plain worn out. There are no replacements available. So buy some gold contacts from PBR and solder them to the original leafs and your ramp will work perfectly again for 30 more years.

#4528 3 years ago

do you just push them through and solder them?

That is all I do. Once this is done you will never need to adjust them again. They need to be adjusted so that they have a wiping motion after closing to keep the contacts clean. I have had my HS since 1990 with no issues in a HUO situation.

#4529 3 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Got me thinking tho.. how about a ramp with optos?

Ask M&M creations to make a MRS switch for this.

#4542 3 years ago

Do you need a diode with the MRS?

You need a diode with any switch in the matrix. The diodes for the ramp switches are mounted together under the play field on a terminal board. The only thing about mounting a MRS is keeping the timing the same as the original switch so the divertor arms are turned on at the right time.

#4546 3 years ago

Am I correct in assuming that the balls should alternate going down the hideouts during normal gameplay

Mine doesn't work like that, mine always goes into the left hideout with the first ball then the right hideout with the second ball. Your game sounds like the first switch isn't working 100 % of the time. This could be a lot of different things like miss adjusted switch, dirty contacts, ball hop, cracked header pins, bad diode, acid damage that ran down to J-8 and J-10, bad IDC connector, bad molex connector and a nearly broken wire hanging by one strand.

#4548 3 years ago

So I know I have some "weak" pins on the 14/15 pin connector at the top of the power supply board

The pins I was referring were on the CPU board, J-8 and J-10.

I have been reluctant to do it because I have never done it

You could send it to me and I could fix that for you cheap.

#4555 3 years ago

Does anyone out there still listening have any idea why this happens?

Measure the 5 volt and ground test points on the CPU, let us know what you have.

#4556 3 years ago

What acts as the Stepper Unit in the SS games to tell the switches what mode the game is in

The game ROMs.

1 month later
#4633 2 years ago

Soldering iron worked. I'm trying to.... Change this back corner. I think it looks dumb with all that exposed light. Makes sense with the black ramp ... Not with clear.
[quoted image]

Do it like this. The factory should have done it like this in the first place.

1 month later
#4669 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I cannot find any topics on the 63 flash lamps on High Speed. The game I am working on has 3 89 flash lamps on the back box and one 63 flashlamp that is burned out.
63 lamp
7 volt
0.63 amp
4.41 Watt
89 Lamp
13 volt
0.58 amp
7.54 watt
assuming the flashers are only getting 7 volts to light the 63 lamp, putting in an 89 lamp should not affect the game I assume?
Am I better buying 63 lamps to replace all the flashers or using regular 89 lamps ok?
I am going to change the 44/47 and 555 lamps to LED, but I am not going to bother with changing the flash lamps to LED.

Using #63 bulbs will be very bright but they do not last long, I used #89 bulbs in my game for years, not quite as bright but they lasted 10 times longer.

2 weeks later
#4700 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Has anyone converted the beacon 1683 bulb to an LED bulb?

Yes. You can buy a 24 volt led bulb in white from coin taker or you can add a bridge rectifier and resistor to run standard 12 volt leds and use a red led for a deeper red color.

#4708 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

Added some photos of these switched but I think they look good? Any help or suggestions? Better photos or just sell it as is!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is the activation switch marked in red. They need to have a min. 1/16 inch gap. How about a pic of the solenoid fuse board.

pop2 (resized).jpgpop2 (resized).jpg
#4714 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

What does the red add on board do for the special solenoids?

Adds and individual fuse for each special solenoid coil.

Was this board made by DumbAss ?

#4717 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Now I know why they call you Grumpy lol. Kidding aside, I'm still learning WMS games. I thought this would be helpful to narrow down a bad coil if they have individual fuses? No? I was thinking of getting it from Weebly.

Yes this will help narrow the problem quickly, but also with a smaller amp fuse like a 1 amp for each coil there wont be any cpu meltdown like in the past. You will still have a bad transistor, but the traces wont be vaporized.

Weebly makes nice boards, but this board looks like a Dumbass production. Both guys make great stuff!

#4718 2 years ago

Could you remove the fuse board and post good pics of both sides.

1 week later
#4729 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Is there an easy way to tell the difference?

Doesn't really matter, you can run #89 bulbs in either with no changes. If you plan on using leds you will need to pull one side of the warming resistor off the terminal board.

#4735 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

Question? My switches came in and both top and bottom contacts are touching on all three of them. Should all contacts be a minimum of 1/16 inch gap?[quoted image]

Switches like this need to have there mounting screws installed either to the mounting bracket or directly to the play field and tightened before any adjustments can be made to the contact spacing. Pop switches are unique as they have a spoon that activates the top contacts. When installing pop switches the spoon must just lightly contact the pin of the skirt and the pin must be centered in the cup of the spoon. Sometimes you have to use a thin spacer in between the switch and the switch bracket so the spoon has the correct contact to the skirt pin. Pop switches are troublesome to get adjusted correctly and are hard to reach when play field is in the cabinet. Check out vids-guide on pop rebuilds.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers#post-485824

#4738 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

UPDATE: Pinball tonight! Hell yeah!

Playball!!!

2 weeks later
#4772 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

On a side note, now that my game is working, I still need to fix the 2,000 rpm lamp on the playfield tachometer. Once in a while it works but it mostly doesn't. Should I be replacing the diode that I can't read or should I be looking to replace the lamp socket? Thought I saw someone else switched to individual sockets as they couldn't find the 5 gang sockets like the original.

It's the socket, diodes either work or not. Try bending the outer metal in a bit so that it makes the bulb a tighter fit. Clean the inside with a brush if it's corroded.

#4791 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

What is the purpose of these, I'm guess to reduce arcing on the EOSs?

You are correct about reducing arcing of the EOS switch contacts, but they are used on parallel wound coils. HS has series wound coils and didn't come with them. If you have converted to parallel coils then install them across the the EOS switch terminals.

1 week later
#4826 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Has anybody tried a 1156 lamp in the upper flashers?

Just a note for some thought, #1156 bulbs use 28 watts and #89 bulbs use 7 watts. Most of the time on HS the flasher bulbs are 2 bulbs in series with a dropping resistor. I think your going to over heat the dropping resistor if they are on to long. In game play it might be fine, but in test you may cook the resistors if left on too long. Also at 2 amp draw each, the fuse on the power supply may not hold very long. They will definingly be bright if you can make it work. Not sure why you are avoiding red #89 leds though.

#4831 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Dammit, I didn't think about the extra wattage.

One other thing to look at is the total wattage. You maybe a bit too high for longevity with the standard TIP122 transistor (65 watts). If you change it out for a TIP102 it may hold up longer at 80 watts. Or you can add a relay in between just like the kick back coil.

#4834 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Turn on game and I get adjust switch s1 upper left star. Does not show anything in switch test or switch edges. Seems to be registering during game play, will double check later. Tried closing gap a bit but made no difference. Any thoughts on what else to check?

Have you cleaned the contracts with a new 100 dollar bill? Tested the diode? Have you checked the wire solder joints at the switch and the joints on the previous switch.

#4836 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Will a 10 dollar bill work? Haven't seen a 100 in a while. Don't know how to test the diode. Solder joints on switch looked okay, will check backwards later.

I haven't seen a brand new 10 dollar bill in my life.

Test diodes like this.
https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes

Make sure the the wires aren't hanging on by one strand.

#4839 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I use old business cards. Gotta save the 100 dollar bills for the next machine!

Now a days it takes a very big stack of them to make a deal!

#4845 2 years ago

When I say check previous switch wire connections, I mean to follow each wire on the bad switch to the previous switches. There is one previous switch on the white wire and a different switch on the green wire. You can't follow the manuals switch matrix page as the game isn't wired that way.

#4848 2 years ago

Any time you install a diode backwards you will pull more current then the diode and transistors can handle. I wouldn't even test them, I would just replace the predriver and drive transistor.

#4852 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Can I test the transistors on board with diode setting, if so, how? My flashers are out behind back glass.

Yes. There are videos on U-tube on this. As for your flashers not working, start by using a jumper wire hooked to ground and briefly touch the other end to the metal tab of correct transistor. If the flashers light with the jumper, then you have a board issue. If the flashers don't light with the jumper then you have a bad dropping resistor or burnt out bulb.

#4853 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I bought a replacement LED bulb for the beacon.
It is 5 smd. From my usual LED supplier.
It is not as bright as the original incandescent.
Has anyone run into this?
It is supposed to be the correct 28v LED replacement

IMHO a 5 SMD led is equal to a #89 bulb. A #1683 bulb is 4 times more powerful than a #89. I converted my F-14 to 12 volt DC so I could #89 bulbs. Then I used these bulbs from Comet in red, white and blue.

#4855 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

How hard is it to convert the beacon to 12 volts? Tried the led from Comet that is supposed to work in the beacon but found it wasn't as bright as the incan.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-beacon-diy-step-down-voltage-regulator#post-3007261

1 week later
#4873 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

I am intrigued by Ingo's diagram showing a jumper on the board he designed for this mod to be able to select bulb or led use. Is that correct that using 2 10w resistors in parallel makes them function as the required 5w resistor for the leds to work?

I think this is this is the diagram your referring to. Well there are a few issues with this, Mel said to use a 50 ohm resistor for the leds and a 10 ohm resistor for incandescent. Ingo's first diagram shows a 5 ohm resistor instead of a 50 ohm, might be a typo or something. When he made his second diagram he had 5 ohm stuck in his brain and made a circuit for that instead of 50 ohm. The reason I say this is because when you parallel two 10 ohm resistors together the combined ohms is 5 ohms. Now this circuit can be made to work correctly by doing two things, first is replace R-1 with a 50 ohm 5 watt resistor. Second would be to move the jumper connection to the other side of the resistors and connect the outputs of both resistors together and to the lamps. As for the jumper connections, R-2 connects to the bottom pin, R-1 connects to the top pin and the output from the bridge connects to the middle pin. Something like this.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngwww (resized).jpgwww (resized).jpg
4 months later
#5102 2 years ago

I have 6 lights that after changing to LED do not light up (100,000 light, 2 light, 6000, 50,000, upper yellow light and 1000 by escape).
I believe it's bad connection due to grime... can you clean the receptacles with a qtip and alcohol?

Start by replacing the bad bulb with a working bulb to make sure it's not the bulb. If it still doesn't work then remove the bulb and squeeze the socket so it is a tighter fit around the diameter. Retest.

1 week later
#5112 2 years ago

they seem to skip over the actual soldering of the socket legs.

I like these better.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5020-00

1 week later
#5142 2 years ago
Quoted from Lumina:

1 middle traffic switch and the 100k freeway at the bottom are lit constantly during games.

This maybe because it is set on easy mode to start you off with an advantage.

#5152 2 years ago

70 volts dc is norm for flippers on this era of games. You got 70 on the ground lug of the coil because the flipper wasn't activated, it will drop to zero when you push the button.

1 week later
#5168 2 years ago

Is there a way to test the diodes??

If you have a DMM, place in diode test and place the test leads on the diode leads, then reverse the test leads. In one direction the meter will read .400-.600, in the other direction the meter will read O/L.

#5180 2 years ago
Quoted from Lumina:

Yup you can see it on the lane switches. Clear overlay. I have one on mine and it plays flawless.

It's an early HT because the insert is incorrect.

#5183 2 years ago
Quoted from Lumina:

I do have an issue during startup with the back right rollover. It's saying I need to adjust it but I have no idea why as the switch isn't contacting at all when at rest.

The game is telling you that the switch hasn't closed in 30 games, not that it is closed. Yes a bad diode could be the issue, it also could just need to be adjusted. One of the wires could have broken off of the switch or off of the previous switch in line.

1 week later
#5196 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Hmmmmmmm, seeing all the different bumper color choices here, I was wondering.............
Is there a way to have clear bumper assemblies and have the color of the light in the assembly change according to the current traffic light status in the game...
hmmmmm.

Yep!

https://www.pinballlife.com/p-roc-rgb-pop-bumper-board-assembly.html

#5205 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Any suggestions for next steps?

You need to follow the wires from the lane change switch to the previous switches looking for a broken wire.

3 weeks later
#5253 2 years ago
Quoted from Gtbuff:

I have gone through all of the switches multiple times. It only happens once there are balls in the hide outs and the third ball hits the gate and starts going down the ramp to the hide out. i have tried to recreate it in test mode with balls in the hide outs but no reset only in game play. No additional switches come on when testing the switches. At it again maybe i missed something. Spending the day going through the whole play field slowly....

If you look at the switch matrix you will see that the hide out switches are in the same row and column as the 2 tilt switches #7 and #41. When you have both hide out switches closed with balls and third ball hits the left ramp switch you are activating one of the tilt switches. First you need to ensure that all of these switches are wired correctly and the diode is installed correctly and that the diode is not shorted out. If all this is fine then you need to replace SRC 6 resistor pack on the cpu board.

#5257 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I need some help with a HS CPU. This is a board I bought years ago, no corrosion, supposedly 100% working. Stored in anti-static bag under steady climate control. Recently when trying the board, it locked a jet bumper and a sling shot. Both special solenoids. So I replaced the associated driver and pre-driver transistors and also U 45 and 50. Tried it again and the knocker coil locked on. Back on the bench. The transistors seemed good when tested with meter. I noticed U17 had been socketed and replaced. This 7408 is associated with the knocker so I replaced. No locked knocker now.
So now I can run self test and see where I'm at. In coils test, 9 coils are not firing, The came is 100% with the CPU so I know it's not a connector or power issue. The following coils are not firing:
1. Outhole Q33 U20- sn7408 Quad 2 input AND gate
2. Flasher #1 Q17 U18
3. Flasher #2 Q31 U19
4. Flasher #3 Q23 U19
5. Flasher #4 Q8 U18
6. GI Flasher relay Q16 U18
7. Left hideout Q30 U19
8. Right hideout Q22 U19
9. Backbox insert flasher Q9 U18
Yes the board has been sitting for at least 8 years but I find it hard to believe that 9 transistor went bad or that U18,19 and 20 have also gone bad unless something weird has caused this or is there something further up the chain that could have gone bad? If it is a PIA, then which one?

Most likely U-28 is bad, but it can also be the PIAs that feed U-28.

#5259 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Can I test U28 with a logic probe while it's in the game? If so, how. I also have the Leon's test rom but still have to learn how to use it. Not sure if it even goes that far into troubleshooting. I'm having a hard time following the cpu schematic, either it's that vague or I just don't know enough yet. I'm learning little by little on board work. So the PIA's are U38 and/or U54 if the U28 is good?

Yes those are the correct PIAs. Each PIA sends 8 signals to U-28 to activate 8 controlled solenoids. Since you have 9 solenoids not working, I would think it is more likely that U-28 is bad instead of both PIAs being bad. But it could also be a combination of 2 or more bad parts causing this. Best thing is to test it with a logic probe in the game so you can use the door switches and displays to make things easier.

#5260 2 years ago

I don't any schematics in front my right now, but if you lock it in solenoid test for the non working solenoid and probe the D0-D7 outputs of both PIAs until you find the correct output. Then test ouputs of U-28. Then test the inputs/outs of the correct AND gates (U-18,U-19 and U-20). Something will turn up. It could be a bad pull-up buss resistor network gone bad too. Give it a try and let me know what you come up with.

1 week later
#5282 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Well I'm getting some way off measurements from SR4,5,6 and 7. 5 and 7 are 2.7K and I'm getting readings as low as 580 ohms, in fact SR7 only has 2 pins that are near spec. With SR 4 and 6 which is a 560 ohm, I'm getting readings as low as 56 ohm and over 600. My question is, are these low resistance findings taking out U17 thru 20 and possibly U28 or overheating the transistors. Why are the SR's failing, shorted transistors or just breaking down from age and/or heat?
I'm trying to get all the parts together before I figure out what's wring. GPE is out of the 10 pin 560 ohm.

When things are 100% on the board I read 561 ohms for SR4/6, and 1950 ohms for SR5/7. With many componets connected to each other they can affect the readings sometimes. To biggest problem is to know which componet is bad before you remove it. Resistor packs like these don't go bad too often. Some people will cut a lead on the And gate to see if the reading gets better or not. Then they resolder the cut lead if it wasn't that part. I usually just replace them any way. YMMV.

#5287 2 years ago
Quoted from sidetrackedbrew:

The second, and more worrisome, is the machine is locking up during gameplay

Most likely you need the power supply rebuilt. 5 volt power drops below 4.86 volts and game resets or locks up.

The laser kick coil fires perfectly about 50% of the time. Sometimes it fires three times, with the third being the one that actually kicks the ball out. Sometimes it fires very softly, only gets the ball halfway up the playfield. Sometimes it tries to fire a couple times, sluggishly, and then gives up and drains the ball.

Start with fixing the power supply and this issue may fix itself.

#5292 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I checked both slingshot coils and the lugs measure 27 volts.

Check the pop bumper coils voltage, see if its the same as the slings.

#5294 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks for helping Grumpy. The pop bumpers and slingshots all read 26.8 volts.

These do sound a bit low. Is your house voltage low also?

#5296 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Not that I’m aware of. How do I check that?

Set your DMM to A/C volts. Carefully insert each test lead into the wall outlet. You should get a reading @ 114-120 volts A/C.

#5299 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I measured 120.6 volts at the outlet High Speed is plugged into.

Plenty of A/C voltage at your home. I think the bridge rectifier for the coil power is going bad. You can put your test leads on the orange and black leads. Take a DC and a A/C reading.

#5304 2 years ago

If your game doesn't have fuses on the bridges yet, now is a good time to add them.

#5307 2 years ago

In inspecting the power supply, I found one wire that was sheared almost through. Resoldered that wire and so far no more lockups.

Nice find!

I’ll be checking that switch and coil voltage.

Clean the switch contacts by pulling a new crisp 100 dollars bill thru the contacts while closed. Then check the switch adjustment with a ball on the wire form.

#5314 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballboy:

When i open the coin door I noticed that nothing happens with it even though there is a switch. Is it supposed to do something when you open the coin door or is that switch there for no reason which doesn’t make any sense.

The white coin door switch allows you to make changes to the game settings and store them in the ram.

#5315 1 year ago
Quoted from Astill:

Hi i just picked up a high speed. It has some different stuff going on. There are switch slots cut out of the playfield under the ramp but no switches. The playfield under neath is bare wood. All the relays look hand wired in and are not the factory ones. There is some different wiring in the head as well. I know its not a new playfield because it is blown out. Has anyone seen something like this?

We need pics first.

#5316 1 year ago

Did this, and the switch registers 100 out of 100 times in switch test. During gameplay, however, the coil is still firing multiple times occasionally: It fires early the first time, essentially just stopping the ball. Then it fires quickly a second time, which bounces the ball a couple inches, then on the third fire it actually kicks the ball back into play. The sound is like "pop pop... fire." But out of about 12 games today, it's only happened twice. It fires perfectly every other time.

It maybe time for a new relay. Usually there is a automotive style 12 volt black cube relay under the play field to activate the coil. There is @ 70 volts going thru the contacts of this 12 volt rated relay.

#5319 1 year ago

Still having the same symptoms

Your switch is closing a tad bit early. If you open the gap on the switch contacts by a 1/16 of an inch, it will delay the coil just a bit. Try for having the ball in the center of the switch wire form before the coil fires. Right now the coil is firing after @ a 1/4 inch of switch wire form instead of 1/2 inch.

#5321 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I installed a new bridge rectifier and still have 26.4 volts DC and 57.8 volts AC measured on the bridge rectifier lugs.

Well crap, your C-5 cap on the power supply board must be completely shot.

#5324 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I would check to see if this would even work.

Yes that will work just fine. When you remove the original cap from the board you will see another hole in the board underneath the cap to use a radial cap instead of the axial cap. All you need to do is remove the solder from this hole to use it and then fill in the other hole you are not using.

#5326 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

also re-flowed some cracked cold solder joints on some of the header pins.

Nice find!

#5328 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Installed the new capacitor. Slingshots read 28.2 volts. Flippers read 67 volts.

Did the A/C drop down? 57.8 volts A/C is crazy high.

#5334 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

How and where should I measure it?

Same spot, just change meter to A/C instead of DC.

#5335 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Mine do not have the nipple. Not sure if there’s enough room for one either. See photos. Hope that helps.

The display you have has a hole in the board for a display with a nipple, and yes they will fit with those spacers. Some boards do not have a hole in them for the nipple, but you can drill one as long as you don't hit a trace.

1 week later
#5346 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:But I have to ask…Why do you need to use a new crisp $100 bill to clean the switch instead of a new crisp $5 or $10 or $20?

I can't remember having a brand new 5, 10 or 20 dollar bill in so long I forgot what they look like, but if you got one then by all means use it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.50
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
609 posts in this topic match your search for posts by grumpy. You are on page 2 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/2?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.