(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,663 posts
  • 362 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Lovef2k
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P5280081 (resized).JPG
P5280079 (resized).JPG
P5280080 (resized).JPG
20210522_211446 (resized).jpg
20210522_211456 (resized).jpg
20210522_211515 (resized).jpg
high-speed-sanding (resized).jpg
high-speed-full (resized).jpg
high-speed-pf (resized).jpg
PXL_20210518_143316087 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210518_143312345 (resized).jpg
high_speed_led (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2634 (resized).JPG
6DC35F31-C659-4D52-A459-7EE314890C31 (resized).jpeg
0028D320-E463-4F23-B60B-7D3C939AF807 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4663 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 94.
#801 7 years ago

Sweet! Looks Nice, Paul! Down to only one ramp left. Better make some more.

#802 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Down to only one ramp left. Better make some more.

Especially for the show.

#803 7 years ago

So I decided to re-do the artwork "label" for the clear ramp. I used the same art scheme from the playfield (grey road, dashed white lines, black/yellow stripes on the outside), but then added an "unfinished highway ramp" art on the right side since the ball drops off. Perfectly happy to share the artwork file, but if a few people are interested it would be more cost effective if we got a group buy. Quote I got is $25 each for opaque vinyl. If I did semi-transparent, it would be closer to $55.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

#804 7 years ago

That's pretty cool! All I've done so far is put a couple >>> decals at the corner, but not happy with them.

#805 7 years ago

My spiffy new clear ramp arrived this week. I was hesitant to order one due to my experience with a fellows Genesis ramp effort. But, the new clear ramp is nothing but awesome! Well done!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#806 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

My spiffy new clear ramp arrived this week. I was hesitant to order one due to my experience with a fellows Genesis ramp effort. But, the new clear ramp is nothing but awesome! Well done!
--

Many thanks for the kind words, Chris. Interest continues and think I can attribute that at this point to the good testimonials. Guess I need to make some more!

#807 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Yeah, I've already been bugging Freeplay to make Genesis ramps!

Someone send him some nice ramps to repro! Do eeeeet!

#808 7 years ago

I think the Genesis ramps might be injection molded. Maybe Twisted Pins will give them a go, but expect they would be pretty far down the list. It would be a serious undertaking for me to do these in a vacuum formed process. Kind of Like the High Speed ramp...custom. I will try to take a look at one locally.

#809 7 years ago

On top of that it is Gottlieb and permission would have to be obtained.

#810 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

On top of that it is Gottlieb and permission would have to be obtained.

Ya...that's a big issue.
Many of us have talked to Steve Young about doing them, and they are tops on his list along with Hollywood Heat. But his parts to make list is a mile long, so I'm doubtful he will ever make them.
--

#811 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Many of us have talked to Steve Young about doing them, and they are tops on his list along with Hollywood Heat. But his parts to make list is a mile long, so I'm doubtful he will ever make them.

That would suck.

I don't own Genesis ... haven't even played the game, but I've been around long enough to know that they're needed desperately by just about every owner.

#812 7 years ago

So... Got a reprieve from helping my son with his project for the NW Pinball Show on June 6th. I have my High Speed pretty dialed in now with the new playfield and of course, new ramp. So it's ready for the show. All that combined with forecast rain (Seattle...big surprise, huh?) I will start making more ramps tomorrow. Should have another dozen available next week. Hoping the show in Seattle generates some more interest as well.

Thanks to all who have purchased so far and the kind words. I think I'm going to try another one after this. I don't like to just reproduce something, I want to try and improve something. I think with High Speed the clear ramp was a good first choice. I am going to look at other System 11's with black ABS ramps and see if I can identify another that could use an update.

(Actually ran this comment in both this thread and the High Speed Clear Ramp thread)

#813 7 years ago

All your hard work really payed off Mark and I hope you sell out at the show and have to make 5 dozen more. I would think the new ramp would have to be for a game you all ready have so which one will it be, unless you plan on buying another project game.

#814 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

All your hard work really payed off Mark and I hope you sell out at the show and have to make 5 dozen more. I would think the new ramp would have to be for a game you all ready have so which one will it be, unless you plan on buying another project game.

Probably the only candidate I have in my house would be the F-14. Maybe a red, white and blue clear. Lot of friends with games. Maybe if I identify a candidate game locally I'll barter a "borrow" with a free ramp. Kind of want to stick with Williams.... Any ideas?....Anyone???

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Probably the only candidate I have in my house would be the F-14. Maybe a red, white and blue clear. Lot of friends with games. Maybe if I identify a candidate game locally I'll barter a "borrow" with a free ramp. Kind of want to stick with Williams.... Any ideas?....Anyone???

Check with Twisted Pins, they had a *very* surprising ramp at the show today... They said that spinout ramps for Taxi will go on sale for about $140 in a week or so. This is something we all thought we'd never see !!!
If they can make that ramp, there's nothing they can't make.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess the space station black ramp could use a re-make in clear plastic.
-mof

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Off the top of my head, I'd guess the Space Station black ramp could use a re-make in clear plastic.
-mof

That would be a good one.

#817 7 years ago

I think it would match and look better the same blue as the mini pf. I know how you like to improve things but how could you improve the design?

#818 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think it would match and look better the same blue as the mini pf. I know how you like to improve things but how could you improve the design?

I recall in another thread some interest in colors. PETG is tough to get in colors. Need to do some experimenting on coloring PETG. Maybe something a little more decorative... Not to go backwards but maybe something over the top of it with lighting... Hmmm.. Sense another tough time getting to sleep!

#819 7 years ago

You mean to say PETG only comes in clear.

#820 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You mean to say PETG only comes in clear.

Pretty much just clear. There is a local company here in Washington that can apply/bond colors to plastic. I will be contacting them soon.

#821 7 years ago

That sounds like a tricky vac-u-form job.

#822 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That sounds like a tricky vac-u-form job.

Could do some ramps in acrylic...maybe a little thicker. Acrylic comes in lots of transparent colors. May do a test on the HS in either red or blue. Acrylic is not as strong as PTEG.

#823 7 years ago

Yes acrylic comes in lots of colors. Wouldn't thicker ramps make fitment more difficult?

#824 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes acrylic comes in lots of colors. Wouldn't thicker ramps make fitment more difficult?

Not terribly. Longer rivets. Only talking about going from .100" PETG to .125 Acrylic. Wouldn't go thicker than that. Only point of concern would be the ramp entrance and that could be sanded slightly. I might make one for fun.... After I make the next batch of clears!

#825 7 years ago

Make one for fun. Dang your good. It would be great to get the same color blue as the mini pf.

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Make one for fun. Dang your good. It would be great to get the same color blue as the mini pf.

Actually I think I will do a blue High Speed. HS is a tough form so a good test. Acrylic doesn't form as well as PETG.

#827 7 years ago

That sounds interesting. You could do a LE version and charge more.

#828 7 years ago

Space Station looks like a great candidate for a clear ramp. But what would show underneath?

The upper-left mini playfield might be cool too, but maybe too complicated?

#829 7 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

The upper-left mini playfield might be cool too, but maybe too complicated?

That one is made from liquid plastic so a mold would be needed.

#830 7 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

But what would show underneath?

What ever our creative minds can come up with!!!!! :0

#831 7 years ago

I've got Marks ramp in and it plays real fast, looks great and is quieter in my opinion. I moved the stop light too and that makes the beautiful clear ramp even more impressive looking. Only had to do a little grinding of the pf at the ramp entrance to make it fit flush but I wish the ramp entrance metal flap extended out onto the pf about 1/4in. more.

IMGA0970.JPG
IMGA0972.JPG
IMGA0973.JPG
IMGA0975.JPG
IMGA0976.JPG
IMGA0979.JPG
IMGA0980.JPG
IMGA0981.JPG

#832 7 years ago

Well it looks awesome. I don't understand why you had to grind the playfield? Was the plastic sitting up on the playfield? I'll make you a custom flap, but then you'll have to rivet it.

#833 7 years ago

Marks ramp is awesome. Build and construction are first rate. He even polished my grimy diverter plate cover and made it look brand new...

I test installed tonight and found it to be a near perfect fit out of the box.

It's quiet and plays fast.

I will need to dremel out the bottom outer right diverter window just a bit so that my right diverter flipper will not catch. The ramp entrance sits flush with the bottom screw mounted.

What is best way to patch a playfield screw hole if I'm going to place a new screw 3mm away? I'm thinking broken toothpick and wood glue... Any advice?

Also as far as mods, does anyone think these model train guys are on to something

http://miniature-traffic-lights.com/purchase_page

Thank again Mark. Your ramp is kick ass.

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Well it looks awesome. I don't understand why you had to grind the playfield? Was the plastic sitting up on the playfield? I'll make you a custom flap, but then you'll have to rivet it.

Well all pf's are different. There's about a 16th of an inch of flap on the pf so that will work. Thanks anyway.

#835 7 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

Marks ramp is awesome. Build and construction are first rate. He even polished my grimy diverter plate cover and made it look brand new...
I test installed tonight and found it to be a near perfect fit out of the box.
It's quiet and plays fast.
I will need to dremel out the bottom outer right diverter window just a bit so that my right diverter flipper will not catch. The ramp entrance sits flush with the bottom screw mounted.
What is best way to patch a playfield screw hole if I'm going to place a new screw 3mm away? I'm thinking broken toothpick and wood glue... Any advice?
Also as far as mods, does anyone think these model train guys are on to something
http://miniature-traffic-lights.com/purchase_page
Thank again Mark. Your ramp is kick ass.

Yeah, tooth pick and glue. Use round ones and let them sit glued in for a few days then break them off flush. I've done it a few times.

#836 7 years ago

Such great news. Looking forward to trying out the clear ramp soon...
-mof

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

I like that stop light. I think I need to make a trip to the train hobby store.

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Such great news. Looking forward to trying out the clear ramp soon...
-mof

It sure is especially Mark hand made probably a wood mold and got it so perfect then made his own vacume table all at home using hand tools for the most part and without the use of fancy cad drawings.. To be able to think in reverse 3 dimentions is really a gift. This has to be one of the best single man mods in all of pinball. The guy is a genius if you ask me.

#839 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I like that stop light. I think I need to make a trip to the train hobby store.

I like it too but it's WAY to small. We need something big enough for a 44 or 555 bulb.

#842 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It sure is especially Mark hand made probably a wood mold and got it so perfect then made his own vacume table all at home using hand tools for the most part and without the use of fancy cad drawings.. To be able to think in reverse 3 dimentions is really a gift. This has to be one of the best single man mods in all of pinball. The guy is a genius if you ask me.

You give me way too much credit. I just like making and learning new things. I do have the forming down to a science now. Works perfect every time. When we first experimented with forming we did the typical shop vac set up. Just wasn't powerful enough. So I designed and built one with a powerful vacuum pump and put it all on a cart. This thing will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. All kidding aside it is about 5 times more powerful that a shop vac setup.

IMG_0440a-490.jpg
#843 7 years ago

See what did I tell ya...a genius.

#844 7 years ago

Ahhh... Fresh out of the bath and ready to rivet.

IMG_0441.JPG
#847 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I like it too but it's WAY to small. We need something big enough for a 44 or 555 bulb.

Not, necessarily led’s come in all sizes. Look at the rings in shadow for one. you could easily find red ,green and yellow led's you could glue them in and make a whole plug and play assembly.. You won’t even need colored lenses.. I better check out the hobby store too! If I come up with anything good I'll let you know

#848 7 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Not, necessarily led’s come in all sizes. Look at the rings in Shadow for one. you could easily find red ,green and yellow led's you could glue them in and make a whole plug and play assembly.. You won’t even need colored lenses.. I better check out the hobby store too! If I come up with anything good I'll let you know

I know you can get small leds, I just think the stop sign would be to small and easy to forget about with those tiny little leds being way back on the pf. I think the size of the Getaway sign would look good back there.

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I know you can get small leds, I just think the stop sign would be to small and easy to forget about with those tiny little leds being way back on the pf. I think the size of the Getaway sign would look good back there.

Or we just hang little stoplights all over the playfield!

#850 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Or we just hang little stoplights all over the playfield!

I can't believe you just said that....go back to making some more of your great ramps. Or better yet come up with an el wire mod for your cool ramp.

There are 4663 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 94.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside