(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,332 posts
  • 478 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by pevo
  • Topic is favorited by 230 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6034 (resized).png
High Speed insert decals (resized).png
20240615_152114 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8357 (resized).png
IMG_8435 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8438 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8439 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8440 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8430 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8385 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8384 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8385 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,332 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 127.
#6301 52 days ago

Anyone looking to join the club? Would like to trade my HS for a Black Hole, Haunted House, or Space Station. Long Island NY area.

#6302 49 days ago

Rejoined the HS club! Yay me! The new one was hacked together - so I have the board/connector work sorted out, but onto the flippers. The coils were fried to a crisp and ‘locked on’ (I.e. burned up) and the wires were cut and not marked. Does anyone have a great photo or photos of the left flipper assembly and wiring? I figured out the right one, but the left one is either missing a wire or I lost my mind. TIA

#6303 48 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Rejoined the HS club! Yay me! The new one was hacked together - so I have the board/connector work sorted out, but onto the flippers. The coils were fried to a crisp and ‘locked on’ (I.e. burned up) and the wires were cut and not marked. Does anyone have a great photo or photos of the left flipper assembly and wiring? I figured out the right one, but the left one is either missing a wire or I lost my mind. TIA

Just did all mine. Check back a few posts.

IMG_8385 (resized).jpegIMG_8385 (resized).jpeg
#6304 48 days ago
Quoted from R23HTC:

Just did all mine. Check back a few posts. [quoted image]

Thank you from Frisco! I saw what you started with .. yikes! Helen Keller own the machine before you? lol!!

#6305 44 days ago

Quick question. Do these flippers look adjusted correctly? They are close to were they were when I got it, but is this correct? Or should they just cover the “holes”.

IMG_8430 (resized).jpegIMG_8430 (resized).jpeg
#6306 44 days ago

That looks right they do not cover the holes

#6307 42 days ago

Was missing a light baffle. No longer available. Ain’t pretty but it should work. The large plastic was not tall enough. The small was tall enough but not wide enough. So I created one.

IMG_8435 (resized).jpegIMG_8435 (resized).jpegIMG_8438 (resized).jpegIMG_8438 (resized).jpegIMG_8439 (resized).jpegIMG_8439 (resized).jpegIMG_8440 (resized).jpegIMG_8440 (resized).jpeg
#6308 37 days ago

Any tips on adjusting the spinners. Most of mine seems to be okay except the Santa Monica Freeway. Coming from the backside it works 100% of the time. Coming from the front it’ll sometimes go through fine, sometimes slow to were it falls back to the flipper, and sometimes it’s like it hits a brick wall! I’d like to see if I can adjust to work 100% of the time before I do the playfield swap……and possibly make it worse.

#6309 35 days ago
Quoted from R23HTC:

Any tips on adjusting the spinners. Most of mine seems to be okay except the Santa Monica Freeway. Coming from the backside it works 100% of the time. Coming from the front it’ll sometimes go through fine, sometimes slow to were it falls back to the flipper, and sometimes it’s like it hits a brick wall! I’d like to see if I can adjust to work 100% of the time before I do the playfield swap……and possibly make it worse.

This thread is more about adding a bit of oil to the spinner but it may help yours out. You might need to raise the spinner just a smidge.
A slow motion video of your spinner in action can tell you a lot about what is happening. iPhone does a great job of slow motion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-juice-a-spinner-#post-8182800

#6310 29 days ago

Anyone have any working old displays they want to sell me? PM me

#6311 28 days ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Anyone have any working old displays they want to sell me? PM me

I’m in the process of restoring my machine. All my original displays work. Player 3 is not as bright as the rest, but barely noticeable. If you like I can take pics and video, send me an IM. Make an offer. I’ll go to LCD if the price is right.

#6312 28 days ago
Quoted from R23HTC:

I’ll go to LCD if the price is right.

?

#6313 28 days ago

I am sure he meant LED.. lol

#6314 27 days ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I am sure he meant LED.. lol

Correct

IMG_8357 (resized).pngIMG_8357 (resized).png
#6315 25 days ago

Silly question here. Does anyone else experience a "bump" on their ball when it flows down the right inlane and transitions to the flipper? Makes it more difficult than it should be to shoot the left freeway bonus than it should. Feels like there should be an adjustment to fix this (the left side is perfectly smooth) but I don't know what I'm doing, LOL.

#6316 24 days ago
Quoted from DaringOne:

Silly question here. Does anyone else experience a "bump" on their ball when it flows down the right inlane and transitions to the flipper? Makes it more difficult than it should be to shoot the left freeway bonus than it should. Feels like there should be an adjustment to fix this (the left side is perfectly smooth) but I don't know what I'm doing, LOL.

I don't have a big issue with this on my game, but it is a thing, depending on how things are installed and how worn the ball guides are.
Cliffy has reproduction guides to fix the issue, if that's the problem.
It's also possible that some previous owner may have installed the wrong guide or guides.
Take a look at this:
https://passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

#6317 24 days ago
Quoted from DaringOne:

I do. I figured it was just a hair wider rubber since all the rubbers were recently replaced back in Dec.. I just had those replaced with Titan pros and it’s not as noticeable.

#6318 24 days ago

It's a known Williams design flaw. The right side (always the right side--whether flipper placement or return frame placement) is slightly off by some random amount, so you get ball hop.
Machines shipped from the factory this way, and this affects many machines over many years of production. I've seen this on machines as old as System 3, and definitely into the System 11 era. Crazy that this wasn't recognized and corrected back in the day!

Add to that several years of return frames getting peened down from ball strikes, and the hop just gets worse with wear.

Solution:

Step 1: if your return frames are visibly peened, order replacements from Cliffy's. This will help, and may or may not solve the problem outright. These are common wear parts, so you might get lucky and it won't take Cliff 9 months to ship them. (He recently sent me some frames for my Bad Cats and it only took him about a week--he must have had them in shelf stock)

Step 2: if you still have ball hop, either the flipper or the frame must move a millimeter or two or three. I find it easier to move the flipper down a hair, by removing it, reaming out the hole surgically with a round rasp or file, rotating the flipper assembly just enough to allow for drilling of all new holes, then re-mounting.
This may sound a little daunting, but if you are careful and methodical, it is 100% effective and looks perfect when you're done.

#6319 23 days ago

Okay. After the above explanation, this seems to be a little different than my issue. Mines not right at the flipper, but actually some where between the lane as its coming down. It’s kind of a slight “brake” as it’s coming through that lane BERORE it makes the corner to the flipper.

#6320 22 days ago

Oh, ok, that does sound like something else.

#6321 20 days ago

I just got a High Speed! I need a topper red dome and light with moter assembly or a known substitute. Also I need a used or nos plastic set that does not have to be complete. Thank you so much
Also looking for a used or extra ramp if not I will go to starship.

#6322 19 days ago

With regards to the ramp: I would suggest: only go Starship if you are a purist/originalist, because the stock/Starship repro ramp is ugly and mechanically flawed (without the cover, you'll get airballs).

The best repro ramp is made by Freeplay40 here on pinside. He re-engineered it so that it doesn't need a cover. And it's see-thru, which looks very cool. And it's super high quality.

#6323 18 days ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

I just got a High Speed! I need a topper red dome and light with moter assembly or a known substitute. Also I need a used or nos plastic set that does not have to be complete. Thank you so much
Also looking for a used or extra ramp if not I will go to starship.

This is what i did for a beacon dome for the missing one on my HighSpeed.

Quoted from pevo:

Beacon replacement...LED lightbar. My HS was missing its Beacon. Since repro beacons can run up to $200 or more if you can even find the parts...I decided to retrofit mine with a LED red/ blue light bar. I converted the 28vac to 12dc via cheap Amazon converter. It takes a AC voltage and converts it to 12v dc. Light bar is a amazon special too. Used a female cigarette lighter plug mounted inside the cabinet...at the top.
I shorten the LED cord to about 15in to get rid of extra clutter. At the led plug it has a on off sw. and mode select sw. These are retained. You can adjust the sequence by plugging it into a 12v external power supply with a female socket. Then you can select your desired light show then plug it back into the cabinet power. It will retain your settings.
As far as the hole in the top of the cabinet...I rigged a 6.5in speaker cover grill to fit right into the hole to keep out critters and provide ventilation.
The LED lightbar works perfect and draws less than 3amps which its fused at.[quoted image][quoted image]

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6324 15 days ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Not really alkaline damage but more rat piss damage, was found covered in rat droppings, was found like this originally
[quoted image]
I think the switch error might have been unrelated to the locking up as it has gone away. I know im also missing c40 aswell, thats on order for the last part of my switch matrix issues
Here it the pictures of it right now
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
So far everything I have done for sound
Mpu:
C15, c8, c3, c2, c24, c26, c29 caps
New headers
New sound roms
U19, u24, u51 pia
U25 ram
Soundboard:
Ribbon cable
U9 amp
U2 pia
Rom
U3 ram
U5 ic
C3, c9 caps.
I also noticed the same sound issue as the game over sound issue i have also would also come up when the game is supposed to be silent when locking the balls for multiball
Im also not sure about this but I do not get a startup tone. It just boots without making a noise so not sure if its supposed to make a tone or not?
There is alot of surface corrosion of the traces under the mask so I thinking I may have to go with a dumbass board eventually but want to get this one working in the meantime

After months of not wanting to look at this game, I sent a email in defeat to Chris Hibler to attempt to send it out and they said it seems like its not getting the right signals. So I checked and sure enough the sound card had a few broken traces

20240615_152114 (resized).jpg20240615_152114 (resized).jpg
#6325 12 days ago

SO I am inthe process of putting a hardtop on my High Speed - I thought before I was only going to fix some defects in the old playfield and replace some insert decals.....

So I purchased the insert decals off Ebay - they cost me $39.95 plus taxes and shipping so basically $50. I can create an add here on Pinside to see if anyone needs them but I thought I would reach out to the forum people who have a High Speed...anyone want to benefit from my loss $30 shipped inthe USA?

High Speed insert decals (resized).pngHigh Speed insert decals (resized).png
Added 8 days ago:

Now sold

#6329 4 days ago

I am missing a topper and I found a cool police light that is 120 volt 60 hz and .33 amps is there a way to modify either the light or game to run this light? If not does anyone have a extra topper lying around?

IMG_6034 (resized).pngIMG_6034 (resized).png
#6330 3 days ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

I am missing a topper and I found a cool police light that is 120 volt 60 hz and .33 amps is there a way to modify either the light or game to run this light? If not does anyone have a extra topper lying around?
[quoted image]

pevo posted #6323 how he converted the 24volt to 12volt. I don’t remember seeing anyone try a 120v.

#6331 3 days ago
Quoted from R23HTC:

pevo posted #6323 how he converted the 24volt to 12volt. I don’t remember seeing anyone try a 120v.

scroll up a few posts to see what i did. Works great!

#6332 3 days ago
Quoted from pevo:

scroll up a few posts to see what i did. Works great![quoted image]

post #6256 for amazon parts list

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 72.50
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Belfast, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,332 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 127.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.