(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,663 posts
  • 362 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Lovef2k
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P5280081 (resized).JPG
P5280079 (resized).JPG
P5280080 (resized).JPG
20210522_211446 (resized).jpg
20210522_211456 (resized).jpg
20210522_211515 (resized).jpg
high-speed-sanding (resized).jpg
high-speed-full (resized).jpg
high-speed-pf (resized).jpg
PXL_20210518_143316087 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210518_143312345 (resized).jpg
high_speed_led (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2634 (resized).JPG
6DC35F31-C659-4D52-A459-7EE314890C31 (resized).jpeg
0028D320-E463-4F23-B60B-7D3C939AF807 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4663 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 94.
#501 7 years ago

Like I've said before, this started out as a project for myself, but after seeing the interest want to try and give something to the community. I consider my High Speed ramp a modification since I am trying to adjust trajectory to not need a ramp cover. So really for now, the High Speed is all that is on my mind.

#502 7 years ago

Update on the clear ramp. Successfully pulled a finish ramp that I can trim and install in my game. Couple of photos fresh out of the form....uh, need to trim some plastic. Hope to have it in the game and testing by tomorrow.

HS1a.jpg HS2.jpg
#503 7 years ago

and you call yourself a HOBBYIST! You REALLY know what your doing. What do you do for a day job...design rocket motors. Great job!

#504 7 years ago

freeplay: what is that pin in the background with the 2 split lines in the playfield, Homebrew project?

#505 7 years ago

It is a portable pin my son made and flew out with him to the Chicago Expo last year. Getting it rewired to fly out to the Texas Pinball Festival this weekend. Announcing some new hardware they have been working on.

#506 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and you call yourself a HOBBYIST! You REALLY know what your doing. What do you do for a day job...design rocket motors. Great job!

Ahhhhh....Recently Retired....

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Ahhhhh....Recently Retired....

I see, me too, early though in 3 months, but I'm still going to work for a while.

#508 7 years ago

I hope this goes well for you, I was thinking about that cover, does it have to do with anything as far as the diverter mech goes? I'm hoping the ball doesn't sail when the ball is kicked to the hideouts. Just something to think about.

#509 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I hope this goes well for you, I was thinking about that cover, does it have to do with anything as far as the diverter mech goes? I'm hoping the ball doesn't sail when the ball is kicked to the hideouts. Just something to think about.

I just replaced my cover and there wasn't a scratch on it in that area. But it sure was yellowed.

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I've never gotten the feeling that the diverters would send the ball off the ramp simply because the ball's trajectory is pretty much stable by then. I think it is the initial shot that goes astray, so I'm hoping my design will settle the ball down enough. Really want to be able to this without the cover if possible mostly for the visual...Time will tell. Hope to have it installed today to test.

#511 7 years ago

Or maybe a gardrail attached by the first turn,angled enugh to keep the ball frof flipping out.. just a thought...

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Or maybe a gardrail attached by the first turn,angled enugh to keep the ball frof flipping out.. just a thought...

Funny, I was just thinking about that. If I am unable to settle the ball trajectory sufficiently, maybe we can up with something less sterile looking and possible sculptured.

#513 7 years ago

Where exactly does the ball can jump out ?
Has anyone tried playing with a bare ramp ?

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

First off it has to be on that "hot" shot that you can get. Dribble shots that just barely make it up the ramp certainly won't fly out. Just looking at my game of course one concern would be that if it did jump out, there is an 89 Flash bulb back in the corner that could very likely get hit. I am in the process of removing my hardware from my ramp and putting it on the new clear ramp, so I would not be able to test shooting without a ramp condom. Given the increased visibility, I am already thinking about repositioning the 2 flash bulbs in the back corners. One thought is to remount the flash bulbs through the back panel and add domes similar to those already in the game. I hope to get this test form in the game today and begin shooting the ramp. Will of course provide photos when I get the playfield back in the game and if I can figure out how to do it, I'll try to get some video shots.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

My HS as purchased had the cover broken off, and for giggles I left it off. Ball would launch off at the side or close to the end of the curve every single time. Never broke anything, but for sure has the ability to do so.

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

My HS as purchased had the cover broken off, and for giggles I left it off. Ball would launch off at the side or close to the end of the curve every single time. Never broke anything, but for sure has the ability to do so.

Good to know... we'll do my best to overcome it. WAs in the middle of installing the ramp in my game and I already see I want to change it. So, going to make some modifications and form another one. Good thing this is fun.

#517 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Had a couple off-line exchanges with dsuperbee and have decided to revamp the ramp mold...specifically the uphill turn. Going to radically increase the swoop... I'm obsessed with eliminating the cover!

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Going to radically increase the swoop...

Does this mean we are gonna have to cut the cab side so the "swoop" has clearance?

#519 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Does this mean we are gonna have to cut the cab side so the "swoop" has clearance?

No... but you'll have to remove the playfield glass....hehe. I'm going to redo the mold pretty radically. Will not affect anything else in the game. Has to do with the uphill ramp, which I think I'll call the Talladega turn....kinda like adding a passing lane. Probably take a day or two to get the ramp the way I want it. Will keep you posted.

#520 7 years ago

May be you could make it so the ball shoots up the ramp and into a 360 degree cork screw tube and is deposited perfectly for the diverters. Using a tube you wouldn't have to worry about a cover or the ball flying out. Hey it was just a thought.

#521 7 years ago

I've been super confused by this whole conversation about the cover. I didn't even know High Speed had one! I've played about 1500 games on mine, which came without it, and the ball has never once flown off.

Occasionally on a REALLY hard ramp shot, the diverter will come in late and send the ball up into the glass, but it stays in the ramps and continues on along its normal path. This would almost certainly be fixed by adjusting the diverter to trigger a little sooner. I know it needs that adjustment because a few times the ball has been too fast for the diverter to catch up, so it continues through and back down to the upper right flipper.

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Had a couple off-line exchanges with dsuperbee and have decided to revamp the ramp mold...specifically the uphill turn. Going to radically increase the swoop... I'm obsessed with eliminating the cover!

This is brilliant, make it challenging like the Whirlwind shot.
-mof

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I've never gotten the feeling that the diverters would send the ball off the ramp simply because the ball's trajectory is pretty much stable by then. I think it is the initial shot that goes astray, so I'm hoping my design will settle the ball down enough. Really want to be able to this without the cover if possible mostly for the visual...Time will tell. Hope to have it installed today to test.

Good, that's what I was hoping.

#524 7 years ago

Late to the dance but, I'm interested in the clear ramp as well.
Bill

#525 7 years ago

I made the mistake of taking my wife to the Pinball Exchange club. She got a High speed and my Wizard! was used as partial trade to soften the blow of having to pay retail for a machine.
I did play the game in my youth but it was located in an arcade on the far side of town so I grew up playing other machines.
Anyhow,
Recently my kickback has been inconsistent (sometimes it shoots it to the upper flipper, sometimes to the next lane over, sometimes enough to go right down the middle) and I have very little experience troubleshooting non-EM machines. One of my pinball mentors has suggested the rubber grommet as the first issue to check.
Just looking for some further input for people who have had the same issue.
My favourite quote "504 this is dispatch he what ???"

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

I made the mistake of taking my wife to the Pinball Exchange club. She got a High Speed and my Wizard! was used as partial trade to soften the blow of having to pay retail for a machine.
I did play the game in my youth but it was located in an arcade on the far side of town so I grew up playing other machines.
Anyhow,
Recently my kickback has been inconsistent (sometimes it shoots it to the upper flipper, sometimes to the next lane over, sometimes enough to go right down the middle) and I have very little experience troubleshooting non-EM machines. One of my pinball mentors has suggested the rubber grommet as the first issue to check.
Just looking for some further input for people who have had the same issue.
My favourite quote "504 this is dispatch he what ???"

I've had that happen. Really just comes down to tweaking... Make sure it is not hitting the rubber on the way out...or machine level... or switch adjustment....try adjust the gap on the switch under the playfield...a little narrower and it will fire sooner.

#527 7 years ago

Sorry I've been quiet on the new clear ramp for High Speed. I have the new and improved mold design just about done, but spent the last 2 days in the hospital! Anyway, I'm back home now but need to take it a little easy. Should have a new ramp to show you in a few days.

#528 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sorry I've been quiet on the new clear ramp for High Speed. I have the new and improved mold design just about done, but spent the last 2 days in the hospital! Anyway, I'm back home now but need to take it a little easy. Should have a new ramp to show you in a few days.

Your legions of fans wish you well, and look forward to the new design!
-mof

#529 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Your legions of fans wish you well, and look forward to the new design!
-mof

Thanks, Man

#530 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I hope it was nothing serious. Take your time and don't push it, be a good boy for the doctor.

#531 7 years ago

Agreed. First things first.

#532 7 years ago

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

» YouTube video

Best playing HS I've ever seen. Is that with a CPR on there?
-mof

#534 7 years ago

I've had over 60 different machines and HS is still my favorite.... love Steve Richie games...FAST! Have a friend that has one too and we always compete a best out of 7 series and it is surprising how close the competition is. Actually turned his over at 10,233,000 hehe. My playfield swap is all done and I've held off putting it back in the machine until I get this new ramp done. Hope to be testing the new one...without the cover... in the next few days and will post photos.

#536 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Best playing HS I've ever seen. Is that with a CPR on there?

Original playfield. Can't tell in the vid but it's worn to the wood in front of the ramp & in a couple places at the pops near the back. The rest of the pf is in surprisingly good shape though & most folks don't notice the wear until I point it out to them.

#537 7 years ago

Here's mine.
Some screws missing, I've received #8 wood screws instead of #6...
Oh, and some wood dust ruining the clearcoat beauty shot
I'm still working on a power supply problem before putting everything back together.

hs.jpg

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

Here's mine.
Some screws missing, I've received #8 wood screws instead of #6...
I'm still working on a power supply problem before putting everything back together.

hs.jpg 115 KB

Very nice.

#539 7 years ago

Nice...They sure are gorgeous when put back together. Mine is still sitting on my kitchen counter patiently awaiting the clear ramp. I painted my wood rails black.

HS1-624.jpg
#540 7 years ago

I need that ramp!!!!!!

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Mine is still sitting on my kitchen counter patiently awaiting the clear ramp.

1) You have two kitchens
2) Bachelor/Divorced
3) Most patient wife ever

#542 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I need that ramp!!!!!!

I should have the new and improved "Talladega" ramp formed today. If I get it cut out of the mold today I'll post a photo!

Quoted from eh97ac:

1) You have two kitchens
2) Bachelor/Divorced
3) Most patient wife ever

Uh, yeah, #2

#543 7 years ago

Talladega ramp remake?? TRR?

#544 7 years ago

I just called the new mold "Talladega" due to the bank I'm building into the turn. Talladega is known for the steepest bank turn.

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I just called the new mold "Talladega" due to the bank I'm building into the turn. Talladega is known for the steepest bank turn.

LOL - brilliant.
-mof

#546 7 years ago

OK... Got a good pull today on the "Talladega" High Speed ramp. The attached photos are very rough cuts and I will take this ramp and install it in my game so I can test the flow with this altered trajectory. This new design is stretching the .100 PETG a little farther than I'd like so I'm going to order another dozen pieces at .0125. Would appreciate your thoughts on the look.

IMG_0397a.JPG IMG_0398a.JPG IMG_0399a.JPG IMG_0400a.JPG
#547 7 years ago

Looks great! Though the area right under the ramp looks sad and bare.

I still don't understand why the angle of the ramp needs to change. Never had a problem with my roofless original ramp.

#548 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I still don't understand why the angle of the ramp needs to change. Never had a problem with my roofless original ramp.

I don't know the history but the ramp cover seems to be an after thought. My original ramp is cracking right at the bottom on the left and my friends is cracking up the ramp. Perhaps slight variations in installation or wear may have caused the ball to go astray. Mine flies out if the lid isn't on. In addition to eliminating the cover , I also wanted to make the shot into more of a "High Speed Swoosh".

#549 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Some of the others thought that new spot under the ramp would look great with a Police Car with flashing lights. I was considering a roadway, but more and more I just like the clear.

#550 7 years ago

So... I put the ramp in the game and tried just throwing some balls up the ramp and can see that I easily have the ball flying out of the ramp under control. So now I'm going to pull back a little and probably end up about in the middle of this new ramp and the stock ramp. Probably won't be very noticeably different from the first ramp I made. I'm obsessed with this thing!

There are 4663 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 94.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside