(Topic ID: 69131)

High Speed Club ~ Dispatch, this is 504. We have a Club now, over.

By lordloss

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,385 posts
  • 410 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Pin-Pilot
  • Topic is favorited by 199 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D47B384E-8F3F-4E9B-9B5D-E36B804F50B5 (resized).jpeg
C26F105D-D68E-4C8B-998C-00B36E00182D (resized).jpeg
100D1CFB-A94B-408D-BCCD-93109B1625F9 (resized).jpeg
mid1 (resized).jpg
plastics (resized).jpg
large (resized).jpg
traffic light (resized).jpg
IMG_1603 (resized).JPG
IMG_1594 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
63790F59-A6A9-42D1-A12F-4B2DCBB1A9D1 (resized).jpeg
A230A636-7281-473A-BABB-7250A85AE46E (resized).jpeg
4FBE74E8-5CC0-41C0-9ADD-52189123219F (resized).jpeg
7160FECE-1B92-44E4-B64D-36588106E360 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,385 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 108.
#5351 51 days ago

Never owned a system 11, but very unfortunately a friend passed away suddenly and his brother is giving it to me. Love working on machines and have gone pretty deep into WPC switch matrix, etc, but never worked on a system 11 so thought I’d cheat (skip reading) and hope somebody had a simple fix! Thank you

100D1CFB-A94B-408D-BCCD-93109B1625F9 (resized).jpeg
#5352 51 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Never owned a system 11, but very unfortunately a friend passed away suddenly and his brother is giving it to me. Love working on machines and have gone pretty deep into WPC switch matrix, etc, but never worked on a system 11 so thought I’d cheat (skip reading) and hope somebody had a simple fix! Thank you
[quoted image]

Adjust failure. Check the batteries to make sure everything is making good contact. I bent a few of mine 1/8” inch and cleared this issue.

Edit: Sorry to hear about your friend.

1 week later
#5353 43 days ago

I'm looking for new apron decals for HSII - looks they are discontinued at Marco's
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1008-50004AD

#5354 43 days ago

Hi guys. I have noticed that the Drive Again light down by the flippers isn't illuminating during games. I've replaced the bulb and wiggled the socket around some. All seems ok with that and the wire connections.

I also did the lamp test on the diagnostics and the Drive Again light does not illuminate. Is it supposed to light up then? I also noticed the outlane lights did not illuminate during the lamp test. I haven't broken out the schematics yet. Any tips for what I should dig into first?

Thanks,

Tom

#5355 43 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Hi guys. I have noticed that the Drive Again light down by the flippers isn't illuminating during games. I've replaced the bulb and wiggled the socket around some. All seems ok with that and the wire connections.
I also did the lamp test on the diagnostics and the Drive Again light does not illuminate. Is it supposed to light up then? I also noticed the outlane lights did not illuminate during the lamp test. I haven't broken out the schematics yet. Any tips for what I should dig into first?
Thanks,
Tom

According to the lamp matrix table in the manual, the outlane special lights and drive again light are all on column 1, along with some others (Game Over, Match, Ball in Play, and the 1000 Arrows at left/right spinners). If they're all not functioning during testing, that connector/wire is a good place to start (Connector 1J7-1). I know the wire landed on the connector for column 7 is touchy on my machine - if it gets pulled, I lose the whole column of connected lamps, but I can reseat it into the connector and it'll work again for a long while (need to get around to a more permanent fix eventually).

#5356 43 days ago
Quoted from waveform:

According to the lamp matrix table in the manual, the outlane special lights and drive again light are all on column 1, along with some others (Game Over, Match, Ball in Play, and the 1000 Arrows at left/right spinners). If they're all not functioning during testing, that connector/wire is a good place to start (Connector 1J7-1). I know the wire landed on the connector for column 7 is touchy on my machine - if it gets pulled, I lose the whole column of connected lamps, but I can reseat it into the connector and it'll work again for a long while (need to get around to a more permanent fix eventually).

Excellent! Now that you mention it, the 1,000 arrows for the spinners also didn't illuminate. Thanks for the tip. The lamp matrix was going to be my next step. Thanks for saving me a little time!

#5357 43 days ago

I'm a new pin owner and new member of the club as of this weekend! I've been enjoying HS a lot so far, with a few things I wanted to ask about.

1. Sometimes, if I hit the ramp twice in a row too quickly, the second ramp shot is not counted. The diverter is working fine, ball typically alternates between the hideouts, multiball start works ok. Sometimes a hard hit to the bottom of the ramp will trigger one of the ramp switches, but this is rare. Is it a code limitation that these quick ramp shots don't register? Or could there be something going on with my ramp switches?

2. The bottom-right GI block is dimming and brightening when the right flipper is pressed, especially when the upper flipper is activated. So, a light press that only triggers the bottom right flipper doesn't have as much of an effect on the GI. All Comet LEDs in the machine aside from flashers. Any tips on troubleshooting this? It's just this one section of the GI and only the right flippers. Seems intermittent as well.

3. The hideout coils are mismatched and appear different from the manual specs. In the manual, both are supposed to be AE-24-900-02, but on my game the left says AE-23-800-7 and the right says AE-23-800-12 (with the '-12' written on duct tape). Left comes screaming like a bat out of hell (exciting, but sometimes bounces over the flipper), right can seem a tad sluggish at times. I don't love the idea of swapping out coils at the moment, would I be risking damage to the machine leaving these in for now?

I appreciate any help.

#5358 43 days ago

I reseated the 1J7-1 connector and it resolved the trouble. I love it when it’s an easy fix!

#5359 40 days ago

has anyone ever put pinstadiums in this game? if so can i see pictures because i might buy some for my machine.

#5360 39 days ago
Quoted from pinballboy:

has anyone ever put pinstadiums in this game? if so can i see pictures because i might buy some for my machine.

Have not seen it.. It might be an interesting experiment, they will technically work.. I do think they would be most effective with machines where there is more playfield depth on the rails, so the light can project without being obstructed..

Also, the HS GI is actually excellent, but I'd be curious to see anyway..

#5361 36 days ago

I'm definitely learning about pin maintenance a bit quicker than I hoped to... Guess I'm on the Revision 3 game ROM, I'm wondering if the ramps-too-quick issue was fixed in version 4 but can't find any sort of changelogs online. I cleaned and waxed the playfield too, the ball is running around like crazy! Waiting on some Titan rubbers for the flippers as the current ones are starting to crack.

The section of GI was out due to a loose wire, and another GI wire just came loose too. Glad that wasn't anything too difficult to diagnose.

The right red flashers aren't recognized sometimes? In the solenoid test, solenoid 10 reads "INSERT FLASHER". Sometimes in game they work, sometimes not. I'm hoping this will be a quick bulb replace but I'm trying to put it out of mind right now.

Then the left flipper stopped working on its own accord: the roll pin just came out?? Not sure how because it's tough to get in and out. Well I popped it back in but the EOS switch was a bit bent so the coil ran hot. I tried to bend it back, really don't feel like I can rebuild a flipper yet.

Oh, and three mystery washers fell onto the bottom of the cabinet. It'll be fun trying to locate where those came from!

#5362 36 days ago

Hey guys been thoroughly enjoying my machine since Feb and have only had to replace the q77 transistor for stuck on bumper. Having a new issue now where none of my special solenoids except the right pop bumper are working. Kinda strange and have checked voltage at the slings and that’s all good . Idk where to look to cover all 5 of those in one place beyond connectors. Highly doubt 5 transistors all went out simultaneously. Thanks for the help

#5363 35 days ago
Quoted from Lumina:

Hey guys been thoroughly enjoying my machine since Feb and have only had to replace the q77 transistor for stuck on bumper. Having a new issue now where none of my special solenoids except the right pop bumper are working. Kinda strange and have checked voltage at the slings and that’s all good . Idk where to look to cover all 5 of those in one place beyond connectors. Highly doubt 5 transistors all went out simultaneously. Thanks for the help

Double check the connector on the CPU, 1J4

The special solenoids get their signals from U45 and 50. 3 pops, 2 slings and the back box flashers. I'm not sure which PIA comes before U45 and 50. But after, it goes to the pre-driver transistors, then finally to the driver transistors. Something in the circuit, or a combination of components has gone bad. I was told that when any of the special transistors fail, it is wise to replace the pre-drivers and U45 and/or U50. If you do replace them, add a socket to the board for easy replacement later on if needed.

I bought an HS CPU years ago that was supposedly 100% working. Sat in static bag for 10 years. When I finally fired it up, 2 special coils were locked on, so I replaced what I just mentioned. After this I was able to run the CPU w/o burning coils and found that 8 regular solenoids were not working. I had a combination of bad pre-drivers and U17 through U20 were all bad. So you never know. You may have to send the board out for repair if you don't feel comfortable working on them or look into getting a DumbAss replacement CPU.

#5364 35 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Double check the connector on the CPU, 1J4
The special solenoids get their signals from U45 and 50. 3 pops, 2 slings and the back box flashers. I'm not sure which PIA comes before U45 and 50. But after, it goes to the pre-driver transistors, then finally to the driver transistors. Something in the circuit, or a combination of components has gone bad. I was told that when any of the special transistors fail, it is wise to replace the pre-drivers and U45 and/or U50. If you do replace them, add a socket to the board for easy replacement later on if needed.
I bought an HS CPU years ago that was supposedly 100% working. Sat in static bag for 10 years. When I finally fired it up, 2 special coils were locked on, so I replaced what I just mentioned. After this I was able to run the CPU w/o burning coils and found that 8 regular solenoids were not working. I had a combination of bad pre-drivers and U17 through U20 were all bad. So you never know. You may have to send the board out for repair if you don't feel comfortable working on them or look into getting a DumbAss replacement CPU.

Thanks for the advice luckily the logic chips there are already socketed so ordered replacements for those and I did replace the q77 but not the pre driver so who knows on that end of that caused the issue. Probably need to replace all the diodes on the coils as well while I’m at it. Just strange that 4 out of 5 solenoids on that special circuit doesn’t work but the right bumper and flashers do.

#5365 35 days ago
Quoted from Lumina:

Thanks for the advice luckily the logic chips there are already socketed so ordered replacements for those and I did replace the q77 but not the pre driver so who knows on that end of that caused the issue. Probably need to replace all the diodes on the coils as well while I’m at it. Just strange that 4 out of 5 solenoids on that special circuit doesn’t work but the right bumper and flashers do.

AFAIK the processors 6802 are socketed but not the PIA 6821 or the 7402 (U45 and 50) unless the board has had previous repairs.

It is odd about losing all those coils at once. I would focus on the playfield first. Did you change any coils? If so double check your work. Check continuity between coil common wire to the backbox connector. Verify 1J4 is connected properly.

#5366 35 days ago

I picked up a project high speed last weekend. I got it running but the credit match display is dead. Anybody change to Leds and have a used working C-8365 ?

C26F105D-D68E-4C8B-998C-00B36E00182D (resized).jpeg
#5367 35 days ago
Quoted from Lumina:

Just strange that 4 out of 5 solenoids on that special circuit doesn’t work but the right bumper and flashers do.

The special solenoids have a activation switch. They are connected daisy chain fashion to each other by a white wire. If this wire has broken any coils down stream will stop working.

#5368 34 days ago

i think I had seen a building mod...maybe the hideout? on a game. Although can not find the picture now. Does anyone have this mod or know who made it.
John Magicchiz

#5369 33 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The special solenoids have a activation switch. They are connected daisy chain fashion to each other by a white wire. If this wire has broken any coils down stream will stop working.

Sounds exactly like what would be doing my issues. Gonna check it out! Thanks for the advice all gonna jump into it and solve it this weekend will report back.

#5370 32 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You were along the right lines. Upper pop had a loose power wire (also daisy chained apparently) resoldered and all working as intended til I blew Q73 causing right bumper to lock on . Gonna do the pre driver for q77 and 73 with its pre driver while I’ve got it taken out. Thanks everyone.

#5371 32 days ago
Quoted from Lumina:

all working as intended til I blew Q73 causing right bumper to lock on

Make sure the skirt switch is adjusted correctly. Make sure it doesn't stick on too.

#5372 31 days ago

Joined the club yesterday with a fully working machine being housed in a yard barn. A few things to do to get it up to par since nothing was done to it for 10 years.

#5373 28 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:Make sure the skirt switch is adjusted correctly. Make sure it doesn't stick on too.

Ok having big issues now I got the q73 replaced and couldn’t get it to stop reading continuance within the game. Did the repair again and checked the transistor and it measured as it should. When I plug in IJ19 my meter is getting a beep when measuring the first 4 while installed now. Pulled board checked the transistors again and they all read properly. Kinda stumped and thinking there could be a short down in the actual harness somewhere. Any pointers? Missing q69,71,73,75. They were fine before and I haven’t put power through the board since the 73 was sticking on.

#5374 28 days ago
Quoted from Lumina:

Ok having big issues now I got the q73 replaced and couldn’t get it to stop reading continuance within the game. Did the repair again and checked the transistor and it measured as it should. When I plug in IJ19 my meter is getting a beep when measuring the first 4 while installed now. Pulled board checked the transistors again and they all read properly. Kinda stumped and thinking there could be a short down in the actual harness somewhere. Any pointers? Missing q69,71,73,75. They were fine before and I haven’t put power through the board since the 73 was sticking on.

Now that I'm at my computer can give a bit more detail: Replaced tip102 at Q73. Still got beep on the board and it was still sticking on after first try. Went back did it again. Replaced the 7402 at u45 and u50 just in case. Tried it with the originals as well and same result. Tested Q73 out of board, on board out of game, and in game. Getting a short somehow there and assumed it was my solder work but decided to look at the harness for whatever reason. Remembered I needed to solder the red cable more solidly that caused the initial loss of slings and pops the wire that daisy chain of what I assume is high power. Did the work on that and now missing all the transistors mentioned before. Kinda stumped cause they can't be blown I haven't put power on them. Really wracking my brain on this and have spent hours now going over the wiring with a fine tooth comb. It's the blue wires though that have the shorting issue I believe as the orange set of spec solenoid switches had no effect on the continuance test (could be testing this wrong, does the board need to be fully installed to test for continuance or just the wires that go to that specific set of transistors etc?

#5375 27 days ago

Went ahead and plugged it all in and to my surprise none of the problem transistors were stuck on? Coils had power but wouldn’t fire in test. Q73 was giving a beep with continuance test but wasn’t locked on and fired normal in coil test. Kinda confused now.

#5376 27 days ago
Quoted from Lumina:

It's the blue wires though that have the shorting issue I believe as the orange set of spec solenoid switches had no effect on the continuance test (could be testing this wrong, does the board need to be fully installed to test for continuance or just the wires that go to that specific set of transistors etc?

You are getting continuity from the power supply, if you checking drive transistors to ground you should disconnect to coil wires.

#5377 21 days ago

I think it's the 7402 chip that's generating issues. Missing multiple special solenoids all testing good otherwise and now the two hideouts won't fire either. Both set's of 7402 on my board are socketed. I think I got trash ones from amazon so am gonna put brand name ones on order elsewhere.... what kind of behavior could you expect from a bad logic chip? I get the coil test to fire coils but the hideouts just click like they should turn on. And the pop bumper sticks on only after firing. It's also not popping all the way before locking on.

#5378 21 days ago
Quoted from Lumina:

I think it's the 7402 chip that's generating issues. Missing multiple special solenoids all testing good otherwise and now the two hideouts won't fire either. Both set's of 7402 on my board are socketed. I think I got trash ones from amazon so am gonna put brand name ones on order elsewhere.... what kind of behavior could you expect from a bad logic chip? I get the coil test to fire coils but the hideouts just click like they should turn on. And the pop bumper sticks on only after firing. It's also not popping all the way before locking on.

There are lots of cheap/ counterfeit chips out there right now. Buy from GPE.

#5379 15 days ago
Quoted from BenB:

I picked up a project high speed last weekend. I got it running but the credit match display is dead. Anybody change to Leds and have a used working C-8365 ?
[quoted image]

I just swapped my displays for the xpin set. I have the credit display and 2 of the 4 players that work. Pm me

#5380 14 days ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I just swapped my displays for the xpin set. I have the credit display and 2 of the 4 players that work. Pm me

I ended up going the wolfpac Diy build route after talking with a few other guys. Thanks

1 week later
#5381 8 days ago

Fellows I need some advice. Ive been dealing with the loud annoying speaker hum on my High Speed so today I pulled the sound board and cleaned up the metal standoffs on the metal mounting plate in the backbox to see if I could get a better connection and lessen the hum. Well, the hum has gotten a little better but now I have no music. Speech and sound effects are present.
Ive double and triple checked the connections, made sure the roms were seated, checked all the pins, but the music is no more. Any suggestions?

#5382 5 days ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Fellows I need some advice. Ive been dealing with the loud annoying speaker hum on my High Speed so today I pulled the sound board and cleaned up the metal standoffs on the metal mounting plate in the backbox to see if I could get a better connection and lessen the hum. Well, the hum has gotten a little better but now I have no music. Speech and sound effects are present.
Ive double and triple checked the connections, made sure the roms were seated, checked all the pins, but the music is no more. Any suggestions?

The sound board is only for background music. Speech and other sounds come from the cpu. Make sure you double check the ribbon cable. Red stripe to pin 1 on cpu and sound board. Old ribbons are flaky so try wiggling it and see if you get anything.

#5383 3 days ago

Would anyone happen to have a spare of the metal piece that attaches under the ramp to hide the wiring? I am missing mine. Thanks.

D47B384E-8F3F-4E9B-9B5D-E36B804F50B5 (resized).jpeg
#5384 2 days ago

Finally found a reasonably priced High Speed project and I'm thrilled to finally join the HS club! Took a 9 hour round trip to pick it up. I've definitely got my work cut out for me on this one. It came with a mostly populated second play field which is in really good shape. The cabinet and legs are in fantastic shape, but the playfield is pretty heavily worn.

IMG_20220704_174314287 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220704_175204610 (resized).jpg

It's missing the beacon, and the guy had bought some off the shelf beacon to replace it. It looks like it's about the same size as the original, but I doubt it will wire in quite as easily.

IMG_20220704_181245337 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220704_181025492 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220704_174437652 (resized).jpg

Supposedly the game had been booting and playing, but it is not anymore. First thing will be to clean it up so I can see what I've got to work with, then I'll try and figure out why it's not booting, and then move on to a playfield swap.

#5385 1 day ago

Congrats on the HS. There are several good restore threads for reference. I did my HS about 2 years ago. Nice to have a mostly populated PF for extra parts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
There are 5,385 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 108.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!