• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jhend1000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210220_171024 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from jhend1000:

Hi,
I am trying to repaint my High Speed Cabinet
I managed to get the black base color looking good, but when I tried painting the yellow, the paint ran a little bit. What's the best way to correct this issue? I dont' want to remove the stencil until I've got it finished. I can provide pictures, if necessary.
Thanks!

Throw a couple pictures up.
In theory you would sand the run then mist another coat but rattle can enamel doesn’t sand well for a few days by then the stencil could possibly bond.
Water sanding would be best for a fragile finish right now because it is more forgiving but water sanding wood is likely to make it swell or grain.
Anyway put a picture up of the issue and what you sprayed it would help better advise.

#7 3 years ago

Sometimes you just have to start over.

Don’t worry about it. Happens to any painter despite their experience sometimes.
When I was a painters helper long ago the old timer I was working under told me this after I f’ed something up despite putting a lot of time and effort into it.
“Paint is like a relationship with a woman. Sometimes you can do everything right and it still goes wrong” (2021 disclaimer women feel free to reverse the analogy)

You have a bit of a disaster there honestly.
Even if you fix the yellow you might find that when you pull the stencil up you pull the black up or have a bunch of glue left behind.
My best advice knowing how long the stencils have been on there and seeing the picture is to order another stencil set.
Once it arrives
Pull what you have on there up.

Sand the messed up side flat including the bondo.
Black that side out again and do it over.
If the the other side ,front and head look fine you are back to a workable position and only have one side to redo if not you have what you need on hand to continue on starting over in full.

I am not saying what you have there couldn’t be salvaged. I could definitely do that myself but with your admitted lack of experience you are probably going to end up deeper in the weeds than you would just biting the bullet and starting over.
To avoid runs just spray the cabinet one side at a time laying flat on its side instead of in the natural position.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-cabinet-repaint-question?tu=High_End_Pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.