New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 227956)

High Speed buzzing sound

By thepinballworks

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Luzur
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello all,
I went to play High Speed last night and I had a buzzing sound coming from I thought the speakers, so I unplugged the speaker and then it sounded like it is coming from the power supply. If I go in to test mode and the playfield lights are off it's fine. So the buzzing only is happening when the playfield lights are on or while it's in attract mode.
What should I be looking for? A bad light somewhere or something on the power supply?

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Dealing with the exact same thing; I've come to the conclusion it is possibly a ground issue. This weekend I'm removing the boards and using nylon screws and washers ... starting there.

#3 1 year ago

All screws are in my boards.
So not sure where to start.

#4 1 year ago

Check BR1 on the power supply. Not long ago one of my games started buzzing although it was pretty loud and come to find out BR1 was shorted and kept popping a fuse. Also if its just buzzing with the lights on then remove the screws from the sound board and float from the screws (Normally the wires are strong enough to hold it up for a short test like this. Then turn on the machine and see if the buzzing is reduced / gone. If so you have a ground loop somewhere. I've done the same thing that Dallas_Pin was suggesting with the nylon screws and washers in all my system 11 games and the buzzing has been drastically reduced. Good Hunting!

#5 1 year ago

I will check that first.
Thanks

#6 1 year ago

Well I loosened all the board screws and moved them around on the mounts and re tightened all the screws and it took care of the problem. Just a little buzzing coming from the power supply board but once it's closed up you can't hear it much.

Thanks

#7 1 year ago

I think its the Williams System 11 ground/speaker hum issue, or a part of it, most of them games seem to have it, due to badly done grounding on Williams behalf.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 2.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside