You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170413_175654 (resized).jpg
switch2 (resized).jpg
switch1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have been cleaning, working on, and collecting parts for further work on my first pin for a few weeks now. One problem I've run into is that I manged to break a previously-working switch, one of the two in the right hideout. Marco has the part listed, but naturally it's out of stock: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-11047

The switch itself works fine, but the plastic housing that holds the wire portion contacted by the ball is broken. The wire portion is supposed to be supported on both sides by plastic and pivot up/down when the ball hits it. Because one side broke, the metal piece won't stay in place (see attached photos). Any thoughts on how to fix/replace it? I've looked at a few other pin parts sites and no one seems to have this exact switch for sale. I don't care if it's replaced with a perfect match, as long as it works, but I don't know what might be a suitable replacement in this case. I've worked on vids since 2001, but I'm new to pins and I'm not sure if I can just drop any old cherry switch into this position or not.

switch1 (resized).jpgswitch1 (resized).jpg

switch2 (resized).jpgswitch2 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

That looks like a sub mini cherry to me. should be fine just wire it up correctly. I believe pinball life sells ones with a long actuator wire that you can bend to the shape you need. but if you have cherry switches around try one of those first.

#3 7 years ago

I just saw these (I think it's the correct one but double check) on the Special When Lit section of Pinball Resource's Website:http://www.pbresource.com/special.html

#4 7 years ago

For some reason i think i might have one laying around. Ill look tonight, and if you cant find one let me know

#5 7 years ago

Yeah, I have plenty of cherry switches laying around, but they're all for arcade buttons and none of them have the right mounting to hold the wire. Good to know that my instincts were right in terms of using another normally open switch and bending the wire to match the use, but if I can have the 'correct' part I'd prefer to do it that way generally speaking... It looks like Pinball Resource does have them in the special section, I'll have to remember that they've got stuff listed there when I'm searching in the future.

amkoepfer, thanks for the offer, if it turns out that PR doesn't come through, I'll be hitting you up

Thanks everyone!

#6 7 years ago

Cool, ill take a look. I remember seeing one not long ago, but i dont remember if i used it or not. What kind of leds are those flat tops in the pic?

#7 7 years ago

Also keep in mind that it will probably be a low operating force micro NOT like arcade switches.

Using a standard operating force switch could result in ball hangs.

Best to try and get the right type while you are in there.

#8 7 years ago

amkoepfer To be honest, I'm not sure where the LEDs came from, the seller had already done the conversion when I bought it (and put on new rubber and a few other minor fixes). I have kind of mixed feelings about LEDs in pins in terms of the colors, but I think they look pretty good on this one, so no complaints. The game is a little rough around the edges, but it still played pretty well when I got it. Then one of the hideout coils started smoking, so I decided it was a good opportunity to tear down the playfield a bit to clean, which also turned into rebuilding the flippers and pop bumpers, all of which got me to this broken switch :p

Homepin Ah, I hadn't even considered that angle, I think you're right. Like I said, I'm an old hat at vids, new to owning pins. Thanks!

#9 7 years ago

Im with you on the colored leds on top. I usually go with clear on top and color matched insert lights. High speed looks great like that!

#10 7 years ago

I have 3 of them. Let me know if you need one

20170413_175654 (resized).jpg20170413_175654 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I have 3 of them. Let me know if you need one

PR has come through, they had three NOS exact replacements in the specials section, so I should be good. Thanks for the offer!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-broken-hideout-switch-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.