• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Ok, here's the deal.
I have a fairly worn high speed that i love. One day maybe it will get a playfield swap, but even it didn't, i'd still be happy keeping it.

All displays work well, except the ball/credit display has a couple segments out. I'm pretty much positive it is the display, not the cable or any of the boards.

When i search online for a replacement, all i see is the one from pinball pcb for $70 or so.

I know there is pinscore and xpin. (which i am considering).

Here are my questions:
Will the pinballpcb display match the rest if that's the only one i get?
Is there another option to the pinballpcb display?
What is the value of the working displays (players 1-4 work fine) with display board? If i could sell off the current displays and recoop a good portion of the money from buying a pinscore setup, i'd probably do that.

I don't care if it's original or not, i'm more of a restomod type of guy anyway.

$70 for one display just seems kinda high considering an entire led setup is $200. Which is why the value of the existing parts would only have to be in the low 100's for this to make sense.

Thanks for any advice,
Joe

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

$70 for one display just seems kinda high considering an entire led setup is $200.

I'm assuming the $70 display is a gas plasma display (either original or replacement) I consider the fact that the LED replacements usually don't require the games high voltage supply to be a benefit. Lower current/heat means they should last a very long time, in comparison to the gas plasma. Plus you could replace the failed one with a gas plasma display, and soon after have different gas plasma fail. I would go the LED route, and save working ones for spare parts or sell to someone who can use them.

I've got a Pinscore in my F-14 and am very happy with it. I can't speak for how well the pinballpcb would match, either.

#3 5 years ago

Ya, that's what i was thinking, i know some of the purists still like the original displays, but that's just not me.

I'd be curious to know why the xpin setup costs more than the pinscore.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Ya, that's what i was thinking, i know some of the purists still like the original displays, but that's just not me.
I'd be curious to know why the xpin setup costs more than the pinscore.

Not exactly sure about the price question. The biggest difference I hear is the aesthetic difference of the blackout displays on Xpin, the unlit segments totally "disappear" when the game is off. The segments that are unlit are highly visible on the Pinscore displays. I don't care, because I am not looking at the displays when the game is off. I also play in dim ambient light, so they look no different than the gas plasmas.... but if that's something that you are willing to pay more for, well that is up to you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sandusky, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Massapequa, NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside