IMG_7634 (resized).JPG
IMG_7624 (resized).JPG
IMG_7622 (resized).JPG
IMG_7621 (resized).JPG
IMG_7607 (resized).JPG
IMG_7595 (resized).JPG
IMG_7590 (resized).JPG
IMG_7362 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bellagio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

In the arcades in the 80’s, my first memories of pinball were two great games: High Speed and Taxi. They sat right next to each other, which was perfect for me because I would go back and forth dropping quarters in both of them. Fast forward to 2015 when I decided that I would like to have one of these games in my house and my crazy hobby started from there...

First was HS, so I’ll begin the story there. It was purchased from a local retailer. He said that it came from Alabama. Like many starting in the hobby, I overpaid for it ($2200 with 1 year warranty) but fortunately it was a pretty solid machine. I studied it and learned the basics of pinball maintenance and repair from it.

Once I felt comfortable with the basics, I decided that I wanted to take it to the next level and fully restore my HS. I kept a running task list along the way to help me remember what I was working on last. Work/life can oftentimes cause you to take a week, a month or more off of your restoration, and it really helped to know exactly what I did last. I figured that since I made all of these notes, I should make a thread that will possibly help others who want to do the same. I’m starting this thread after finishing both projects so I don't have to drag it out over a long period of time.

I decided that I wanted the machines to be as new as possible, essentially rebuilds. They are games that are special to me and will be long term parts of my collection, so I was willing to invest in them.

All that said, let’s get into it! Here are some pics of HS as I received it:

IMG_0932 (resized).JPGIMG_0932 (resized).JPGIMG_0937 (resized).JPGIMG_0937 (resized).JPGIMG_0935 (resized).JPGIMG_0935 (resized).JPGIMG_0934 (resized).JPGIMG_0934 (resized).JPGIMG_0933 (resized).JPGIMG_0933 (resized).JPGIMG_0936 (resized).JPGIMG_0936 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

The game had basic cheap led’s installed, and I decided to stick with led’s. My decision on that was made after I saw how many of the plastics were burned/warped by years of heat from standard bulbs.

The displays had burnt out segments and generally looked old and worn out, so I replaced them with a red/blue X-Pin led display set.

IMG_5395 (resized).JPGIMG_5395 (resized).JPG
#3 3 years ago

Soon after I bought it, I started having problems with the slings and pop bumpers blowing fuses. It was tracked down to issues on the terribly hacked power supply board as well as issues on the MPU. The power board was replaced with a new X-Pin power board by the shop I bought it from as a warranty repair.

For some reason the repair guy directly soldered the wires to 3J10. I'm guessing the IDC was toast and he didn't have a new connector.

IMG_3643 (resized).JPGIMG_3643 (resized).JPGIMG_3665 (resized).JPGIMG_3665 (resized).JPGIMG_5634 (resized).JPGIMG_5634 (resized).JPG
#5 3 years ago

One of the first things I knew that I wanted to change was the old-school revolving light on top with more modern led police lights. I realize that this is a radical change from original and that not everyone will like it. I toyed with different designs, first with some outward facing red/blue dash lights.

IMG_3194 (resized).JPGIMG_3194 (resized).JPG

I didn’t like it and came up with a system of a large red/blue forward-facing led lightbar on top and 3 smaller bars under the sides and front of the game.

IMG_3860 (resized).JPGIMG_3860 (resized).JPG

This design was scrapped during final assembly because the lights underneath required drilling the cab and also interfered with my lift cart. You’ll see the final design later in the thread.

The lights are connected into the relay wiring for the old revolving light so they activate whenever the old light would (chase sequence, extra ball, attract mode, etc). They are powered by an auxiliary power supply. I think it definitely adds a more immersive experience to the chase sequence and gives the game a more modern look than the old light.

#6 3 years ago

Staying with the red/blue scheme, I tried a mix of red and blue leds for the GI. Yeah... no. This ended up not only making the playfield very dark, but it also made the game look like Pinbot. I later replaced all of them with a more traditional look.

Probably belongs in the “GI fails” thread ha ha!

IMG_3865 (resized).JPGIMG_3865 (resized).JPGIMG_3866 (resized).JPGIMG_3866 (resized).JPG
#7 3 years ago

I continued to have issues with music and various electrical issues that I traced to the MPU. I know that original boards are very repairable and in most cases, very reliable. That being said, for me personally I wanted new. The tough part was finding good quality repro boards that meet or exceed the quality of the originals.

I read about the many issues with Rottendog boards, so I knew that I wasn’t interested in that brand. I then discovered Kohault (Pinball PCB). I found nothing but positive reviews and decided to try them. I replaced the MPU, sound board and flipper power board with Pinball PCB boards. I eventually also replaced the power supply to complete a matching set of boards. I have been extremely impressed with these boards. They have a very high quality feel to them and use all modern components. Since I installed them, I have never encountered another board issue. The company went out of business for a while, but they are back now.

http://pinballpcb.com

IMG_3854 (resized).JPGIMG_3854 (resized).JPG
#8 3 years ago

My next goal was to improve the playfield. The pf wasn’t horrible for its’ age, but I wanted one that looked new. Restoration was not going to be an option as I soon discovered that many restorers will not accept system 11 pf’s other than basic touch ups. I was told that it is due to something in the paint that reacts to clearcoat, causing ghosting and other issues. I kept the machine in this state for about a year while I searched for a new playfield. CPR repros were extremely hard to find at the time.

I became very discouraged during the search and almost gave up and sold the machine. Then out of the blue, I got a response to my wanted ad in 2017. While attending Chicago Expo 2017 I drove to Indiana and bought one with a complete plastics set at a very fair price from a great guy, Paulb

I read that the clear on CPR pf’s is not especially durable, so I sent the pf to HSA Pinball in Arkansas for a better clear coat job. Luckily, I was able to get it in before their retirement cutoff. The pf came back and looked fantastic, like a sheet of glass! They also drilled out holes on the top side and cleaned some of the clear out of the rollovers.

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa030318cprhs.html

Pic24 (resized).jpgPic24 (resized).jpgPic25 (resized).jpgPic25 (resized).jpgPic26 (resized).jpgPic26 (resized).jpgPic27 (resized).jpgPic27 (resized).jpgPic28 (resized).jpgPic28 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

While waiting on the pf, I disassembled the machine and began to work on cleaning and assessing the work that needed to be done.

IMG_3698 (resized).JPGIMG_3698 (resized).JPGIMG_5304 (resized).JPGIMG_5304 (resized).JPGIMG_3778 (resized).JPGIMG_3778 (resized).JPGIMG_5690 (resized).JPGIMG_5690 (resized).JPG
#10 3 years ago

First was the lighting board behind the backglass. It was very dirty and had the usual marker writing. All hardware was cleaned in an ultrasonic and tumbled with Flitz or Nu-Finish and walnut shells. I removed all of the lamp sockets and ground braid and then sanded down the board on both sides. I cleaned and re-molexed the wire harness.

IMG_5394 (resized).JPGIMG_5394 (resized).JPGIMG_5397 (resized).JPGIMG_5397 (resized).JPG
#11 3 years ago

Next the board was re-painted on the front and also clear coated on both sides. I then installed new, thicker ground braid and new lamp sockets.

IMG_5885 (resized).JPGIMG_5885 (resized).JPGIMG_6305 (resized).JPGIMG_6305 (resized).JPGIMG_6310 (resized).JPGIMG_6310 (resized).JPGIMG_6306 (resized).JPGIMG_6306 (resized).JPGIMG_6309 (resized).JPGIMG_6309 (resized).JPG
#12 3 years ago

You may notice in the above pic that the flasher resistor boards are different. When reattaching the wire harness, I was unhappy with the existing ones as they were somewhat toasted. Since I had changed over to led flashers previously, I had already removed the warming resistors from the circuit. I replaced the old boards with a more durable solution. I also used these for the resistor boards on the pf.

IMG_5438 (resized).JPGIMG_5438 (resized).JPG
#13 3 years ago

I then moved on to the backbox. I disconnected the wire harnesses and scrubbed them with purple power, then rinsed them. I followed with an ultrasonic bath in Simple Green. Since I had removed most of the old zip ties to make cleaning easier anyway, I replaced all of them with new ones.

IMG_6558 (resized).JPGIMG_6558 (resized).JPG
#14 3 years ago

I then re-molexed all of the IDC’s with trifurcon pins and .156 housings. It was super time consuming, but I felt that it was worth it in the long run, especially since the boards are new and some of the connectors were yellowed and cracking. A couple were pretty much burnt.

IMG_5595 (resized).JPGIMG_5595 (resized).JPG

To ensure that I didn’t make any mistakes, I photographed each connector and labeled them.

IMG_5771 (resized).JPGIMG_5771 (resized).JPG
IMG_5831 (resized).JPGIMG_5831 (resized).JPG
IMG_5832 (resized).JPGIMG_5832 (resized).JPG

Another very tedious part was re-pinning the .062 molex connectors that allow the pf to disconnect from the head. That monster 36-pin connector was especially awful!

#15 3 years ago

By far the worst part of re-pinning the connectors is dealing with looping wires. While this is simple with IDC’s, it’s more challenging with .156 housings. I used the method of crimping the two wires together with one pin. Not ideal, but I felt it was the best of the few choices.

IMG_7424 (resized).jpgIMG_7424 (resized).jpgIMG_7425 (resized).jpgIMG_7425 (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago

I then tackled the metal backbox board that holds the circuit boards. Most of the labels on it were discolored and/or torn. I scraped them off and cleaned off the years of dirt. It was then sanded down, polished, painted (front side only due to ground connectivity) and clearcoated.

I reattached the boards and printed new decals. They are exact replicas of the original decals, courtesy of another great Pinside guy, @Inkochnito.

IMG_5705 (resized).JPGIMG_5705 (resized).JPGIMG_5923 (resized).JPGIMG_5923 (resized).JPGIMG_6016 (resized).JPGIMG_6016 (resized).JPGIMG_1083 (resized).JPGIMG_1083 (resized).JPG
#17 3 years ago

I also purchased one of the outstanding bridge boards that Inkochnito makes. His board provides new bridge rectifiers, eliminates the giant capacitor (30+ years old) and most importantly, adds fusing before the bridge rectifiers that Williams did not add until later games. All this in one simple, inexpensive board makes it a no-brainer.

IMG_6789 (resized).JPGIMG_6789 (resized).JPG
#18 3 years ago

The transformer needed some attention. It was sanded down and repainted. The wires were cleaned, re-pinned and new connectors attached.

(I later replaced those yellowed screw insulators)

https://www.pinballlife.com/ballywilliams-transformer-screw-insulator.html?Category_Code=

IMG_5273 (resized).JPGIMG_5273 (resized).JPGIMG_6020 (resized).JPGIMG_6020 (resized).JPG
#19 3 years ago

I wanted the game to have a cool shooter rod. I got a blank shooter rod and a Hurst mustang shift knob. I epoxied them together and installed it.

IMG_6565 (resized).JPGIMG_6565 (resized).JPG
#20 3 years ago

My next task was replacing the coin door. The old coin door was nasty with all the typical things seen on an old coin door- beer/soda residue, rust and various other crud. It was also apparent that the door was half-ass painted at some point. After toying with the idea of restoration, I decided that I was going to instead replace it with a modern coin door. After quite a bit of searching, I located and purchased one.

IMG_6330 (resized).JPGIMG_6330 (resized).JPGIMG_6333 (resized).JPGIMG_6333 (resized).JPGIMG_6334 (resized).JPGIMG_6334 (resized).JPGIMG_6335 (resized).JPGIMG_6335 (resized).JPGIMG_6336 (resized).JPGIMG_6336 (resized).JPGIMG_6337 (resized).JPGIMG_6337 (resized).JPGIMG_6367 (resized).JPGIMG_6367 (resized).JPG
#21 3 years ago

I considered removing and re-using the wire harness from the old door, but decided that since I would have to do a bunch of soldering anyway, and wanted to move components around a bit, that I would build an entirely new door harness.

I also did some research on Pinside and located replacement diagnostic menu button switches and caps.

IMG_6612 (resized).JPGIMG_6612 (resized).JPGIMG_6641 (resized).JPGIMG_6641 (resized).JPGIMG_6610 (resized).JPGIMG_6610 (resized).JPGIMG_6645 (resized).JPGIMG_6645 (resized).JPG

IMG_6642 (resized).JPGIMG_6642 (resized).JPG
#22 3 years ago

I figured building a new cabinet wire harness would again look better and give more flexibility to move components. I wouldn’t ever want to rebuild the monster playfield or backbox harnesses, but the cabinet harness is fairly small and not very complex.

One thing I was determined to move was the volume pot. I always hated having to bend down and stick my arm into the cabinet to adjust the volume. I guess in an arcade it didn’t matter since the volume always stayed the same. I bought a new pot, and using the old bracket, I attached it to the coin door.

IMG_6655 (resized).JPGIMG_6655 (resized).JPGIMG_6653 (resized).JPGIMG_6653 (resized).JPG
#23 3 years ago

Next was the power supply box and wiring. I got a new EMI filter, new mov varistor (the round disc that looks like a capacitor- glad I researched that!), new 110 cord, new fuse holder and a new service outlet. I also pulled wiring to reach the auxiliary power supply that runs the police lights and stadium lighting. Lastly, I bought a new rocker switch to replace the old metal toggle switch.

I built the new one up in a spare Stern power box I had so I could keep the old one intact for reference.

IMG_6737 (resized).JPGIMG_6737 (resized).JPGIMG_6780 (resized).JPGIMG_6780 (resized).JPG
#24 3 years ago

It was time for testing. I double checked all of my connector wire colors and tested continuity. I was nervous due to the changes I had made. I flipped the switch and, fortunately, the game played perfectly!

Next came the part that I was excited about and dreading at the same time- the playfield swap. This is a very intimidating task, but I felt that with some patience and determination it was nothing that I couldn’t accomplish. I believe that the key to it is the same as everything else that I had done in the restoration up to this point- slow, methodical, well documented/photographed progress. One thing I’ve learned about pinball repair/restoration is that even the smallest mistake can cause serious damage and can be very difficult to trace. With that in mind, I began the swap.

I figured that the best way for me to do the swap was to have the pf’s in rotisseries side by side. I built a pipe rotisserie using the excellent instructions that vid1900 put in his thread. Buying all the parts probably took longer than building it...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide

IMG_7708 (resized).JPGIMG_7708 (resized).JPG
#25 3 years ago

I also considered that it would help to have a table surface immediately accessible. I figured that it would be more convenient as a place to put tools, parts, etc. than walking back and forth to my workbench. It would also eliminate the temptation to lay parts or tools on the new pf. The problem was that I wouldn’t have room for 2 rotisseries and a table. I therefore created the Costco table rotisserie!

The nice thing about this table is that it can be raised and lowered to a few different settings. One side can even be dropped down lower than the other to simulate the angle of the pf being in the cab.

IMG_7439 (resized).JPGIMG_7439 (resized).JPG
#26 3 years ago

I disconnected and pulled the old pf. I removed the backboard, but when I went to place it in the rotisserie I discovered that a lot more parts would need to come off. Starting with the ramp diverter assembly, I removed parts at the top and bottom of the pf until it seated correctly into the rotisserie. I then took extensive pictures and video of both sides of the pf.

If anyone doing a swap or repair needs a pic of something feel free to send a pm, I probably have it.
IMG_6796 (resized).JPGIMG_6796 (resized).JPGIMG_6797 (resized).JPGIMG_6797 (resized).JPGIMG_6805 (resized).JPGIMG_6805 (resized).JPGIMG_6839 (resized).JPGIMG_6839 (resized).JPGIMG_7027 (resized).JPGIMG_7027 (resized).JPGIMG_7028 (resized).JPGIMG_7028 (resized).JPGIMG_7383 (resized).JPGIMG_7383 (resized).JPG

IMG_7567 (resized).JPGIMG_7567 (resized).JPG
#27 3 years ago

I noticed that several CPR pf owners noted that they put a coat of varathane on the back of the pf to make cleaning coil dust and dirt easier. After checking with my clearcoat guy, I went ahead and did it.

Plastics and wire guides were removed from the old pf. I removed a bunch of other metal parts for ultrasonic and tumbling. I also took more pictures to remember placement of these items.

It was now time to begin work on the cpr. I decided that I would start with items that would require a lot of hammering such as the tee nuts and wire guides. At first, I planned to use the method suggested on several threads which is drawing the tee nuts in with a bolt that goes through a small washer and a larger washer covered with felt (example below). It was mentioned that this is a safer method to avoid hammering and possibly cracking the clearcoat.

T Nut Tool (resized).jpgT Nut Tool (resized).jpg

When I tried this, however, the middle of the nut pulled into the hole, but the teeth would not dig in to the wood, deforming the tee nut and leaving a gap. I tried different ways, tapping it lightly with a hammer and then trying to draw it in, but I couldn’t get the teeth to dig in. Finally, I decided to just revert to the old fashioned way and hammer them in. I was really scared of cracking the clearcoat so I used a rubber mallet and took my time.

Fortunately, I didn’t have any issues. I have since learned from the High_End_Pins thread that it helps to drill small pilot holes for the teeth to dig into before drawing them in.

I was also lucky that all of the holes were the correct size for the tee nuts except one. I found the step drill bit recommended by HEP in his thread worked well to widen the hole.
IMG_7680 (resized).JPGIMG_7680 (resized).JPG

#28 3 years ago

Next was the wire ball guides. I’m not going to lie, this part sucks. Fortunately, all of the pre-drilled holes lined up correctly. The bad part is more pf hammering. The worse part is that this time you are hammering on the top side of the pf. There is very little room for error and all kinds of opportunity for highly visible damage to your beautiful new pf.

You’ll most likely need to slightly widen the holes at the top, but don’t go too large with the drill bit or you could end up with a loose fitting wire guide. I recommend taking this very slowly, and as HEP suggests, using one of the old pf wood side rails (if you’re replacing them) under the ball guide for uniform height and safety. In addition, I would recommend putting a thin piece of felt under the old wood rail to prevent scratches. When it was over I was really glad it was done!

IMG_7710 (resized).JPGIMG_7710 (resized).JPG
#29 3 years ago

Time to put the cpr pf on its' rotisserie.

IMG_7740 (resized).JPGIMG_7740 (resized).JPG

Next was the GI braid and lamp sockets. Like the braid in the backbox, I continued using the thicker, better quality tinned braid wire and brand new lamp sockets. The first thing I did was lay out all my lamps on the GI in their correct holes, using the old pf as my guide. I also discovered that several screw-down lamp sockets are connected to the braid. Using the old pf and other restorers’ pictures of the ground braid, I made a diagram in my notebook. I also noted and photographed each spot where the harness wires connect to the lamp sockets or ground braid. I decided to just leave the daisy chain wires on the old lamps and use new wire. Leaving the old lamps and ground braid in place tremendously helped since I had a reference to look at whenever needed.
IMG_7736 (resized).JPGIMG_7736 (resized).JPGIMG_7804 (resized).JPGIMG_7804 (resized).JPGIMG_7805 (resized).JPGIMG_7805 (resized).JPGIMG_7806 (resized).JPGIMG_7806 (resized).JPGIMG_7808 (resized).JPGIMG_7808 (resized).JPGIMG_7809 (resized).JPGIMG_7809 (resized).JPG

#30 3 years ago

I assembled all the parts necessary for brand new pop bumpers. These things take a beating, and I figured after 30+ years, pretty much all of the parts should be replaced. Building pops for the first time can certainly be scary due to all the parts above and below the pf that need to work together perfectly. My go-to was @Vid1900’s guide to rebuilding pop bumpers:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

Like Vid says, lively pop bumper action is critical for a good game. It’s especially important in HS as the pops are a focal point of the pf and get frequent action. The first thing I did was polish the pop bumper rods. As Vid also points out, new ones are rough and need to be polished to prevent damage to the ball. I started with a Scotchbrite pad, then buffed with green compound and a small buffer wheel pad bit in my drill. The drill didn’t work very well. I then tried with a $9 Harbor Freight air die. I found that works much better as the air die gets higher rpm’s than my drill. I also followed up with Mother’s aluminum polish.

New:
IMG_7782 (resized).JPGIMG_7782 (resized).JPG

Polished and ready to install:
IMG_7799 (resized).JPGIMG_7799 (resized).JPG

#31 3 years ago

I then decided to take on another part I had been dreading- pop bumper nails. My plan was to get all of the stressful stuff out of the way so I could focus on wiring and switches.

Pop bumper coil brackets are attached using special fasteners that look like a nail and a screw combined. These fasteners (I’ll call them nails since they are hammered in) are called “fin shank”, available from all usual sources. I did extensive research on installation as they require two tasks that are dangerous to the pf: countersinking on the pf surface and (ugggh) more hammering.

I had a new countersink drill bit, and it probably would have worked ok, but during my research, I saw that nerdygrrl recommended a specific drill bit and countersink in one. The 7/16 size was perfect for the nails, and the drill bit staying in the hole meant I never had to worry about the bit wandering and scratching the pf.

IMG_7848 (resized).JPGIMG_7848 (resized).JPG

I started by attaching the bit to a screwdriver handle and manually starting the countersink. I did this because I wanted the removal of the clear around the hole to be very slow to avoid cracking or halos. Once the countersink was nicely started I then switched over to my drill on the slowest setting. I worked by drilling a little, checking the fit with the top of the nail, drilling, checking, repeat. Once it got to the point where I felt that the nail head would be flush with the surface, I placed the nail in the hole and tapped with a dead blow hammer.

IMG_7832 (resized).JPGIMG_7832 (resized).JPGIMG_7835 (resized).JPGIMG_7835 (resized).JPGIMG_7836 (resized).JPGIMG_7836 (resized).JPGIMG_7841 (resized).JPGIMG_7841 (resized).JPGIMG_7842 (resized).JPGIMG_7842 (resized).JPGIMG_7846 (resized).JPGIMG_7846 (resized).JPGIMG_7849 (resized).JPGIMG_7849 (resized).JPGIMG_7850 (resized).JPGIMG_7850 (resized).JPG

When the nail was firmly in place and straight, I hammered it until it was halfway through the pf. I then switched over to using the end of a block of wood on top of the nail to give me a larger hammering surface. I used this until the nail head was about a 1/4” or so above the surface. I then used a junk magnetic drill bit holder centered on the nail head to drive it into final position. This whole process was very tedious, but in the end everything worked out fine.

Next was fitting the lower plastic body of the pop bumpers. The holes were just a little too small. As suggested by HEP, I used a rasp drill bit to widen the holes, test fitting with the plastic until they fit just right.

IMG_7853 (resized).JPGIMG_7853 (resized).JPG

I then installed the ground braid for the pop bumpers. This was the last of the ground braid to do on the pf. I then soldered the lamps that I had installed so far along the braids.

#32 3 years ago

Just checking if there's any interest in continuing this thread?

#36 3 years ago

Ok cool, just wanted to make sure I wasn't here by myself

#37 3 years ago

The spinners needed some attention. They were pretty beat up and dirty after many years of ball hits. The paint came off pretty easily after the ultrasonic. After tumbling them, I primed, painted, cleared and re-labeled them. As mentioned in other threads, John Deere green spray paint is a perfect match to the original color.

IMG_7668 (resized).JPGIMG_7668 (resized).JPGIMG_7670 (resized).JPGIMG_7670 (resized).JPGIMG_7686 (resized).JPGIMG_7686 (resized).JPG
#38 3 years ago

Next was installation of the escape hole plastic shield. As noted by HEP, exact positioning is important as bad alignment can cause the ball to eject at an improper angle. Two of the dimples were actually correct. I used a clear plastic shield since I’m adding a lamp underneath.

IMG_8002 (resized).JPGIMG_8002 (resized).JPG

#39 3 years ago

As this was my first time drilling a new hole that didn’t go all the way through the pf, it was time to break out my drill bit stop. I wasn’t comfortable with using electrical tape as a drill stop, wanting something a little more secure.

I got this for about $10 from Amazon. It comes in a package of 2, one for small bits and one for large bits. It’s easy to adjust and locks on tightly to the bit. I set it by placing the screw into whatever pf object I‘m working on and hold it along the edge of the pf to see how deep the screw will go (always watching for specially routed areas that are not as thick as the rest of the pf!). I then set the drill bit to almost the depth of the screw.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill-Tool-73512-Adjustable/dp/B003L0XB8Y

IMG_7987 (resized).JPGIMG_7987 (resized).JPG
#40 3 years ago

Next was one of the typical mods to HS that I wanted, and is easily reversible if I change my mind- lighting for the rollovers and escape hole. The only issue was positioning the lamp sockets. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between my old pf and the new one deciding where I wanted to place them. Since this is not factory, I wanted to be extremely careful to avoid any potential future issues, electrical or mechanical, that the additional lamps could cause. Having the old pf with wiring and mechs present helped tremendously.

Once I settled on locations, I decided to tie all 3 together in one chain that connect to the ground braid for power. For additional safety, I also added short protection over the connectors on the lamp sockets and over any nearby ground braid wires (extra insulation was added to the upper right rollover lamp after picture was taken).

If I had to do it over, plastic wedge-style flat lamp sockets would have been a better option, but these worked out ok.

IMG_8003 (resized).JPGIMG_8003 (resized).JPGIMG_8004 (resized).JPGIMG_8004 (resized).JPG
#41 3 years ago

I then tested the ground braid for continuity and also tested it with a 12v/1A power supply and alligator clips. To me, this is definitely worth the brief time it took. I discovered a short that would have been difficult to detect with the wire harnesses in the way. I had failed to trim the small end off of a piece of the ground braid after I stapled it. The end of the braid was just long enough to make contact with the bottom of the same lamp socket, resulting in a short. My power supply kept cutting off, indicating a short. At first I thought my power supply was having issues, but after examining the braid, I discovered and corrected the short.

I forgot to take a before pic, this pic is after I cut it off.

IMG_7999 (resized).JPGIMG_7999 (resized).JPGIMG_7997 (resized).JPGIMG_7997 (resized).JPGIMG_8001 (resized).JPGIMG_8001 (resized).JPG
#42 3 years ago

Next I connected the pop bumper lamp leads to the ground braid on the bottom, which required building the pop bumpers on the top side. Again using Vid’s pop bumper guide, I built the pops above the field. I decided to go with a red, yellow and green traffic light theme for the pops, complete with RYG skirts and pop bodies. To complete the look, I am using RYG BriteMod pop bumper led discs that flash when the bumper is activated. I initially installed clear caps, but I didn’t like them, as they leave the led discs too visible. I later swapped them out to transparent RYG caps.

IMG_8016 (resized).JPGIMG_8016 (resized).JPGIMG_8018 (resized).JPGIMG_8018 (resized).JPGIMG_8021 (resized).JPGIMG_8021 (resized).JPG

FYI- Teal transparent pop bumper caps are readily available, but true green ones (03-8254-2) are very difficult to find. The one I now have installed came all the way from Germany!

At the factory, pop bumper lamp leads were connected to the ground braid under the pf with staples. While they may be more secure, it's also a big hassle if you want to change a cracked skirt, etc. mof pointed out in his HS thread the “Ed Chueng method” of attaching the leads using a screw and a washer. This still keeps the leads securely connected to the braid while providing a convenient way to disconnect and pull them from the pf.

IMG_8022 (resized).JPGIMG_8022 (resized).JPG
IMG_8023 (resized).JPGIMG_8023 (resized).JPG

Some prefer pop bumper lamp sockets with normal wires, but I prefer the lamps with stiff leads. The catch is that the leads can be somewhat weak. I followed HEP's recommendation of adding a little solder near the top of the lamp on both sides to reinforce the leads.

IMG_8015 (resized).JPGIMG_8015 (resized).JPG

#43 3 years ago

I now wanted to make some progress on separating the harnesses from the old pf. First was coils.

I’m sure many will differ with my opinion on this, but I felt that if I’m rebuilding the game, all of the coils should be replaced with new. I get it- I could have cleaned the old coils in the ultrasonic, re-wrapped them, replaced the sleeves and they probably all would have worked fine. Still, to me they are critical parts that are most likely 30+ years old. Beyond that, most of the coils appear original, but some were clearly replaced. One had a bottom plastic base that had cracked and the lug was only hanging on by a wire strand from the coil.

IMG_8052 (resized).JPGIMG_8052 (resized).JPG

Since I’m replacing all of the coils anyway, I decided to molex all of them. I weighed the argument of creating an extra failure point vs. the benefits of serviceability and significantly reducing the weight of the harness. I figured an additional benefit would be that I could increase the length of the leads from the coils to the harness. In some cases the wiring was stretched fairly tight by either the factory or operators making repairs. After cutting the leads I molexed, documented, zip tie labeled and photographed all of the harness coil connectors.

C65 (resized).JPGC65 (resized).JPGC66 (resized).JPGC66 (resized).JPG

I organized all of the new coils into a divided container and cut the proper lengths of new wires for each of them. I then crimped the molex pins on, soldered the wires to the coils and placed the molex connectors on them. It took longer to do the flippers. The coils are hard wired to their switches and there is also a capacitor that I attached to upgrade the flippers to the newer WPC style. Coils are now ready for placement.

IMG_9486 (resized).JPGIMG_9486 (resized).JPG

#44 3 years ago

Next was GI power wires from the harness. I felt the easiest way with these was to lift the staples, but not cut the wires completely away from the ground braid. I just cut a small portion of the braid so the wires could remain soldered together and I could zip tie label them. After labeling, each lamp is photographed from different angles.

G1-G2 (resized).JPGG1-G2 (resized).JPGG11-G12-2 (resized).JPGG11-G12-2 (resized).JPGG23 (resized).JPGG23 (resized).JPGG3-G4 (resized).JPGG3-G4 (resized).JPGG5-G6 (resized).JPGG5-G6 (resized).JPGG8 (resized).JPGG8 (resized).JPG

I then did the controlled lamps, same procedure. To aid in knowing which lamp goes in which hole, I printed out a picture I had taken of the bottom of the pf before I started the swap and marked the zip label numbers on it.

CL7 (resized).JPGCL7 (resized).JPGCL37-2 (resized).JPGCL37-2 (resized).JPGIMG_7426 (resized).jpgIMG_7426 (resized).jpg

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

I've also added Molex connectors to some coils. I don't worry at all that they will become failure points, though I know others don't like the idea.

Yeah I like it. It really makes things so much easier when you need to do maintenance or make adjustments and I think the chance of failure is pretty low.

#47 3 years ago

Big parts are in the tumbler for a few days in batches, including the ball trough assembly and all of the rollover brackets. I’ll be replacing all of the micros.

Now it’s time to start removing switches. As I was removing switches, I came up with an easy way to keep track of all the screws. I simply put the screws back in their same holes on the old pf after I removed the switches. The screws aren’t very complicated. Most assemblies use #6-1/2”, lamps use #6-3/8” and the resistor boards with standoffs use #6-1”. The most important thing is to double check the thickness of the pf in the area where you are about to drill. There are some areas (kickback and ramp entrance) where the pf is reduced from the full thickness to accommodate the assemblies.

IMG_8861 (resized).JPGIMG_8861 (resized).JPGIMG_8867 (resized).JPGIMG_8867 (resized).JPGIMG_8902 (resized).JPGIMG_8902 (resized).JPG
#48 3 years ago

Going back up top side to clear out the wood rails and metal ball guide rails. I wanted to get the wood rails attached before I placed more assemblies and coils to help avoid any pf sagging. Some of the guide rails are nailed to the wood rails with the same small nails used for the side rails on the cabinet. They are also secured to the pf using 1/2” truss head screws. The original wood rails are cheap wood with laminate covering that is peeling. I knew that I wanted to replace them but I was uncertain whether I wanted to go with stained oak to maintain the original look or if I wanted to paint the rails black. I decided to go with the original look. I measured all of the rails and after a trip to Lowe’s, I had the necessary material.

Fortunately, I have a friend with a whole Rockler store in his garage. He was able to cut these with his eyes closed. I then edged and sanded them down. I matched each of them against the originals to verify that size was exact. I marked the screw holes by lining them up on the pf with the screws protruding through the pf to verify hole location before pre-drilling them. I took an original rail to Lowe’s to match the stain of the veneer as closely as possible. I found Minwax Golden Oak to be the closest. I think they came out really nice and are much more solid than the originals.

IMG_8747 (resized).JPGIMG_8747 (resized).JPG
#49 3 years ago

Prior to installing the guide rails, I needed to polish all of them. I went back and forth deciding whether to take them to a mirror finish (like the pop bumper rings) or the OEM brushed look. After reading HEP’s opinion, I decided to go with brushed. Mirrored rails are sexy, but I agree with HEP that they will make ball trails stand out more. They will also be much easier to maintain.

This definitely sucks. It’s very time consuming and messy. My method was using two different 3M drill sanding wheels (coarse and fine), high-grit water sanding and final buffing with a HF buffer wheel and metal polish.

The ball guides are set in place on the pf and the nail holes are marked on the new wood rails. The ball guides are then nailed to the wood rails and set in place.

IMG_8744 (resized).JPGIMG_8744 (resized).JPGIMG_8745 (resized).JPGIMG_8745 (resized).JPG
#50 3 years ago

I then cleared all of the remaining coil assemblies from the old pf as well as any remaining posts and various other screws and plates. I made sure to individually photograph each assembly, screw and post that I removed in order to ensure that I knew it’s proper location on the new pf.

I collected all of these parts in a box for washing, ultrasonic and tumbling. I wash and wipe off the parts before the ultrasonic to get the first layer of grime off. When I have a large amount of parts coming out of the ultrasonic, I organize them on a paper towel so I can take a pic. This helps me to make sure that I get everything out of the tumbler. Some of the parts are very small and can get easily get left behind.

IMG_9005 (resized).JPGIMG_9005 (resized).JPGIMG_9009 (resized).JPGIMG_9009 (resized).JPGIMG_9141 (resized).JPGIMG_9141 (resized).JPG
#51 3 years ago

Probably the dirtiest task of this whole project is next- cleaning the wire harnesses. The pf harnesses are covered with 30+ years of carbon dust and dirt. I know that some people just swap it all over and keep on trucking, but I personally would not recommend it. You have a shiny new pf, why plop a filthy wire harness on it? I can understand if you just do a basic scrub in the bathtub or hose it off in the driveway and call it good, but I highly recommend doing that at the very least. As anyone who has done work on an older machine knows, once you get carbon dust on your hands, it transfers to anything and everything you touch and it’s a real pain in the ass to clean.

Everyone has different methods to clean the wire harnesses. For this restoration I did a two stage cleaning. Prior to cleaning, I cut many of the old zip ties and then loosely attach some new zip ties just to keep things together. I think this is important so that you get to all the dirt and crap that worked it’s way inside the bundles of wire. I left all of the micro switches attached since they were being replaced. If I wasn’t replacing them, I would remove them. After this, the whole thing goes into the sink for the first scrub down. This is to just clear the initial gunk from it. I use purple power and a scrub brush, then rinse. I then filled the sink with water and scrubbed some more. The water is pretty gross when finished. I hung the harnesses up for a few days to dry.

The harnesses are fairly clean at this point, but I wanted to go one step further. I liked Vid’s dishwasher method to get the harness super clean. The only issue I had with this was using the house dishwasher. I know it’s probably fine, but I had access to another generally unused dishwasher so I used that. Just make sure to use the top shelf so nothing gets damaged by the heating element. The harnesses come out super clean! When you’re done, be sure to look in the drain for any small parts that might have come off. I hung the harnesses up again for a few days to let them dry out.

IMG_9234 (resized).JPGIMG_9234 (resized).JPG
#53 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Cool thread! Perfect reading with my morning coffe.

Glad you're enjoying it!

#54 3 years ago

The next job is prepping the harnesses for installation. I laid them out on a table and inspected them for any issues.

IMG_8631 (resized).JPGIMG_8631 (resized).JPG

In addition to replacing the micros, after looking over the leaf switches I decided to replace them. I considered cleaning them but I saw that the contacts were corroded and far from their original gold. I decided that the cost of replacing them was not that expensive (most are around $2). The lane rollovers are noted in the manual as SW-1A-124, but are no longer produced. I found that PBL’s SW-1A-94 are identical. The rollover star switches are noted in the manual as SW-1A-157, but are also no longer produced. I found that SW-1A-120’s, used for kicker scoring switches, are essentially identical. The leaf switches for the slings were also terribly bent up in multiple places from adjustments over the years, so they are all replaced.

#55 3 years ago

Before tackling installation of the harnesses, I wanted to install anything on either side of the pf that I felt would be a hassle to access once the harnesses are in place. I started with posts that go through the pf and have nuts underneath. I then went on to the solenoid assemblies.

Prior to installing assemblies, I went ahead and installed the wood rails with ball guides attached. With the additional weight I knew would be added by the assemblies, I didn’t want to take a chance of the pf flexing.

IMG_9584.JPGIMG_9584.JPG
#56 3 years ago

Since I was attaching the wood rails, I needed to attach my shooter lane Cliffys. Prior to installing the cliffys, I put down mylar to further protect it. I have done this to other games I’ve owned and found that it keeps the shooter lane looking like new.

From what I have seen, pin owners are generally in one of 3 camps when it comes to cliffys:

1. Always use them, every game
2. Only use them to cover damage
3. Never use them, hate cliffys

I’m in the first camp when it comes to the shooter lane of any game. I’ve seen on multiple nib games that it doesn’t take long for damage to begin from the ball constantly ejecting into the shooter lane like this Metallica (Pro) :

Bad shooter lane (resized).JPGBad shooter lane (resized).JPG

I think that they are definitely worth it there. For me, other places are a case by case basis. On this particular game I also added the escape hole protector. The escape hole on my old pf is pretty beat up and there is also the typical wear in the area where the ball ejects onto the pf from the hole. I placed some mylar on that spot also.

I will also add that Cliffy is just a great guy to deal with! He has always responded to my questions very quickly.

IMG_8715 (resized).JPGIMG_8715 (resized).JPGIMG_6961 (resized).JPGIMG_6961 (resized).JPGIMG_7698 (resized).JPGIMG_7698 (resized).JPGIMG_8751 (resized).JPGIMG_8751 (resized).JPG
#57 3 years ago

With the rails in place, I’m putting all of the underside coil assemblies together. I got new coil bracket/stops (A-17808), new plunger/links (A-5103) and new springs (10-135) for all of the assemblies. Most of the plungers and coil stops were flat or mushroomed from bazillions of hits over the years, so in the trash they go.

IMG_8840 (resized).JPGIMG_8840 (resized).JPGIMG_8858 (resized).JPGIMG_8858 (resized).JPGIMG_8870 (resized).JPGIMG_8870 (resized).JPGIMG_8814 (resized).JPGIMG_8814 (resized).JPG

On the bottom side I made a dimple mark on each of the holes for the assemblies, but would only run 1 or 2 screws in. I then adjusted the assembly for fit and operation. Getting the operation part just right is very time consuming, (I spent an hour or two on some single assemblies!) but this saved a lot of time later on when dialing the machine in. Once I was satisfied that the assembly was going to work correctly, I drilled and added the other screws.

#58 3 years ago

Most of the new coils had Williams wrappers, but I bought new ones from PPS for the ones that didn’t. After wrapping them, I put the assemblies together.

I learned from reading the forums that Williams initially oriented the coils in the assemblies with lug-side closest to the coil stop. They found that over the years the plunger striking the coil stop caused damage to the plastic and/or caused soldered wire connections to break. They then flipped the orientation to the lug-side being away from the stop. I installed most of the coils this way, but found that a few, particularly the eject mechs, would not permit this. The arm of these mechs would strike the lugs if they were oriented this way.

I went through each coil and verified that the power wire was connected to the lug on the banded side of the diode. Lastly, I checked resistance on them.

IMG_9583 (resized).JPGIMG_9583 (resized).JPG

Old pf is really clearing out:

IMG_8495 (resized).JPGIMG_8495 (resized).JPGIMG_8496 (resized).JPGIMG_8496 (resized).JPGIMG_8632 (resized).JPGIMG_8632 (resized).JPG

#59 3 years ago

Prior to placing my first one, I closely inspected the harnesses. On the controlled lamps harness I found a couple of issues. First, a couple of wires were close to or completely broken off of some of the lamps. I didn’t notice issues during testing, so this may have happened during harness cleaning. I also found some damaged wires that were replaced.

IMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0126 (resized).JPG

The second and more problematic issue was flaky sockets on the multi-lamp metal brackets. I assume that Williams used these brackets because they were quicker/easier to place than individual lamps. The downside is that the lamps on the brackets cannot be replaced unless you have lamp parts and a way to crimp it together. I had a few that were wobbly and many that had corrosion and stiff springs. I had one particularly frustrating lamp that was falling off completely. I glued it back in place, but was not happy with the result. It not only looked sloppy but I knew that sooner or later some of these lamps would cause a problem. At that point I decided, as much as I hated the thought of all the work involved, that since I replaced every other lamp socket in the game, I might as well make it 100% and replace all lamps. An extra benefit is that it makes the lamps much easier to service if necessary.

IMG_3615 (resized).JPGIMG_3615 (resized).JPGIMG_3628 (resized).JPGIMG_3628 (resized).JPGIMG_3702 (resized).JPGIMG_3702 (resized).JPG
#60 3 years ago

While waiting a few weeks for Chicago Expo 2018 to pick up a large order of parts at PBL, I put the switch harness in place on the pf and started marking and drilling holes. I placed all of the switches in their locations and left the screws in place so it would be easy to re-attach them later. I still needed to attach all of the new switches I would be buying at PBL, but I figured it will be much quicker to put it back on with the screws were already in place.

With all of the switch screws in place, it was time to start replacing the lamps. The controlled lamp harness was separated, so I didn’t have to deal with the other harnesses while working on the lamps. The first task was to attach diodes to all of the lamps. I bent the diode legs with a pair of pliers marked at a certain spot so they would all be uniform. Each diode was tested, all passed. They are good quality as are all other products I purchased from Great Plains Electronics. With that completed, I started placing the lamps. This required a lot more drilling.

IMG_0025 (resized).JPGIMG_0025 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0031 (resized).JPGIMG_0031 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0036 (resized).JPGIMG_0036 (resized).JPG
#61 3 years ago

I figured this would be a good time to place bulbs in each lamp. When finished, every bulb in the game is CoinTaker. I think their products are of good quality, but I did run into some customer service issues. I don’t want to derail the thread with the whole story, but after this restoration I began using Comet exclusively for all of my lighting needs and I’m very happy with their products and service.

Thanks to Pinsider Pac-Fan for creating a thread on led placement in HS. He put a lot of work into it and I went along with just about every choice he made. I think it looks great and it saves quite a bit of money over using the pre-made kits. The vast majority of the bulbs are frosted.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-williams-high-speed-led-conversion-wmap-lists

With the new lamps screwed in place, I put the harness in place and began cutting wires from the old lamps, stripping them, and using small clips to hold them in place on the lugs of the new lamps. I also placed new daisy chain wiring where necessary. After hitting each lug with flux paste, I got my soldering iron set up. I was able to move pretty rapidly from lamp to lamp since everything was set up and ready to go.

IMG_0066 (resized).JPGIMG_0066 (resized).JPGIMG_0068 (resized).JPGIMG_0068 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG
#62 3 years ago

After finishing all the lamps, I put the pf in the cab for a test of the controlled lamp harness. In attract mode I noticed 4 lights out. Fortunately they were in the same matrix column so I set out to find the short. Somehow I was lucky enough to notice it pretty quickly. A single strand of wire on a lamp was not soldered to a lug and was making contact with the top of the lamp. Once this was corrected, all lights were 100%.

IMG_E0082 (resized).JPGIMG_E0082 (resized).JPGIMG_0071 (resized).JPGIMG_0071 (resized).JPGIMG_0072 (resized).JPGIMG_0072 (resized).JPG
#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

following...keep going!

Thanks!

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Lymes:

I’m about to tackle my first playfield swap on a Taxi. This is a great resource, thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! Once I got some experience with this one, Taxi was way easier.

#67 3 years ago

With the other harnesses laid out on the bench, I began cutting off old switches and connecting new ones. I also cut off the flasher resistor boards and replaced them with the newer style I designed. Since I replaced all other lamp sockets, I also went ahead and replaced all of the flasher sockets with new.

The only switches that I didn’t immediately replace were the spinner switches (SW-1A-118). They are very unique switches that are hooked to the spinners with a short metal rod. Every time the spinner turns, it pulls the rod upward, which pulls the switch contacts together. They were eventually replaced with micros, (more on that later).

SW37-3 (resized).JPGSW37-3 (resized).JPG
#68 3 years ago

The pop bumper switch stacks were, by far, the most difficult switches to replace. There are multiple wires attached to the stack along with a cap, a resistor and a diode. When placing them on the pf I found Vid’s pop bumper guide to again be a valuable resource. Correctly lining up the skirt pin with the spoon on the switch stack is very important. At the same time, the solenoid switch needs to be gapped perfectly so the slightest amount of contact between the ball and the skirt will fire the coil.

IMG_0143 (resized).JPGIMG_0143 (resized).JPGIMG_0147 (resized).JPGIMG_0147 (resized).JPGIMG_0154 (resized).JPGIMG_0154 (resized).JPG

After soldering all the new parts to the harnesses, I began re-attaching them to the pf. This was easy since all of the screws were already in place.

IMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0344 (resized).JPG
#69 3 years ago

I then handled soldering the wires that power the GI. This is a part where detailed photos and my photo map of the pf were critical. Most of the GI wires connect directly to a lamp socket. A few of them connect to the ground braid. Without using my map and pics to identify which wires connect to which lamps (and the correct tabs on the lamps) this task would have been extremely difficult. Like coils and switches, each of the GI wires/wire pairs were zip tie labeled. Pictures are obviously helpful, but having the map of the pf to know the location of the pic made things much easier.

IMG_7426 (resized).jpgIMG_7426 (resized).jpgIMG_0329 (resized).JPGIMG_0329 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPG
#70 3 years ago

I then prepped the rollover stars for installation. There are warnings on CPR’s website and various Pinside threads to not just pop the rollover stars into the inserts. Build-up of clear in the inserts will block the star from being able to sink completely down into the insert, essentially creating a ramp that will cause airballs.

You need to scrape some of the plastic from underneath the star in order to get it to go all the way down into the insert. The problem is, once the star is placed into the insert, a small nub at the bottom locks it into the insert. On the bright side, you can always cut the nub off and push the star out if you find that it doesn’t go all the way down. The star is ruined, but they’re cheap so I bought a bunch, figuring that I’d destroy a few. It’s hard to tell exactly how much plastic to trim off.

I wanted this to be perfect, so to assist in determining how much to trim, I bought the insert itself. I broke the tabs off the practice insert to allow me to pull the star back out. This way I could trim, test and trim again until I got it to where I believed it would not be affected by clear build-up. I fit the trimmed stars into the real inserts, and they went down completely into the insert.

IMG_0339 (resized).JPGIMG_0339 (resized).JPGIMG_0341 (resized).JPGIMG_0341 (resized).JPGIMG_0342 (resized).JPGIMG_0342 (resized).JPGIMG_0343 (resized).JPGIMG_0343 (resized).JPG
#72 3 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I love a good restoration thread. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, I’m a big fan of them too. The idea of a pf swap was very intimidating when I was a new guy and I most likely wouldn’t have started this project without reading @mof’s HS restoration thread years ago. It’s very well written and showed me that a pf swap is very doable, even for a newb.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I happen to be doing a High Speed playfield swap right now. This is my third swap, I did Eight Ball then Flash Gordon. High Speed has so much more stuff on the playfield it is amazing how densely packed it is. Ultimately I am keeping as many sockets as possible, I find new one are often really not that good. In the past I replaced every socket only have fiddle with a bunch of them. The absolute worst are the pop bumper sockets. My ancient originals work perfectly and I have had the most trouble with new ones. Still deciding what to do with them.

I’ve been fortunate with this lot, they’ve all worked great. All of the flat GI lamps and a few others came from Pinball Resource. The rest came from PBL.

Good luck with your swap and feel free to holler if you need pics or anything else from this swap that can help!

#75 3 years ago

With all of the underside parts attached, I began dealing with the pass-thru parts on the topside.

HS has multiple parts on the top side with wiring that passes through the pf from the bottom. These items include 2 coils (trough and kickback) as well as 6 flashers and 2 switches for the hideouts.

After installing most of the flashers, I needed to make a decision on what to do with the 2 flashers at the rear of the pf. I have always believed that these flashers were an afterthought when the game was designed. They are just flat lamp sockets attached to the back wood rails of the game. I wanted to find a better place for them so they could be a more visible part of the game.

IMG_7502 (resized).JPGIMG_7502 (resized).JPGIMG_7254 (resized).JPGIMG_7254 (resized).JPG

I first considered drilling 2 holes through the backboard of the game and placing them through the holes, with lamp domes, similar to F-14. The part about this idea that I didn’t like was that the flashing lights would be directly in your line of sight. Also, it’s obviously not reversible if I ended up not liking it.

Another option was placing the flashers in the back corners of the pf with the lamps sticking through the plastics and covered with a dome, but I wasn’t sure how to do this and how it would look. Another HS owner did this, and placed pics of his work in a thread (sorry, don’t remember where). I decided to go this route. I like the fact that it looks very similar to the other topside flashers and it would be easy to go back to original if I wanted to.

Before placing the plastic I insulated the flasher lamp sockets from the metal guide rails. I also later swapped out the clear red dome cover to the newer style so the led flasher is not so visible.

IMG_0554 (resized).JPGIMG_0554 (resized).JPGIMG_0558 (resized).JPGIMG_0558 (resized).JPG
#76 3 years ago

After completing the pass through items, the next part was quality control. I had too much invested in the game to blow up a board or fry other critical parts due to a stupid oversight. Once you flip the main power switch, there’s no going back.

My QC checks consisted of checking every coil, every switch, every relay, every resistor board, every lamp (other than controlled lamps that had been already tested under power), basically every single wired connection. I went down my lists of all of these items, checking off each by their numbered tag. I would look at the picture of the original on my laptop and verify that each item was identical. I was also on the lookout for anything that could cause a short such as wire strands, loose metal parts, dripped solder, wire lugs too close together, etc. This was very time consuming, but did yield a target switch with backward wiring and a lamp wire that was improperly soldered. The lamp wire would very likely have broken off at some point and caused trouble. I also made sure that all switches were properly gapped.

Then it was the moment of truth. I set the pf next to the cab and kept the door to the backbox open so I could keep an eye on the fuses. I plugged in each of the large molex connectors to the boards, prayed for no disasters, and flipped the main switch. Thank God, I heard the familiar beep as the machine starts up and saw a zero in the display on the main board indicating a normal startup!!! Everything on the pf lit up and went into attract mode. So far so good!

IMG_0396 (resized).JPGIMG_0396 (resized).JPG
#77 3 years ago

Next was switch tests. In the menu I saw switches 49 and 50 (the sling scoring switches under the pf) were stuck open. In switch test mode every switch was good except the shooter lane switch. No response at all. Overall, not bad.

Next was testing the higher risk solenoid connections. I went into coil tests and ran through them. All coils fired correctly except for the left hideout coil. Completely dead, no response whatsoever. Connections were good, I traced the wires all the way to the board. Right hideout coil was just fine. The ground wire to the relay was also fine.

At this point I knew that I needed help, so I contacted a master of pinball repair, @Grumpy. He immediately jumped in, taking me through the steps of diagnosing the issues.

The sling switches were simple enough. They were wired correctly, but I had installed them upside down. The sling coil arms were holding them closed instead of holding them open (shown correctly in the pic). Flipped them and problem solved. I then found that the shooter lane switch began responding. Not really sure why because they are not connected in the matrix, but I was happy.

SW14-2 (resized).JPGSW14-2 (resized).JPG
#78 3 years ago

Back to the left hideout coil. I still couldn’t figure it out. Grumpy told me to test power with my DMM, it was good at right around 72v, same as the right hideout. Also again checked the coil’s resistance, no problems there.

With no luck there, Grumpy told me to check the nearby resistor board for power and to also check the 100 ohm resistor. The hideout coils both have a relay that they are tied into, and each relay is connected to a resistor board. The resistor boards have three lugs. Two of the lugs connect to the relay. On the left hideout coil’s board I found the center lug at 38v but the other 2 lugs were around 3v. On the right coil’s board I got 38v at each lug. I then tested the 100 ohm block resistor on the left. It tested at 5.5 ohms, clearly way below its rating. I tested the right coil’s resistor and it tested at 100 ohms. Looks like the problem is found!!

Grumpy suggested de-soldering one of the suspect resistor legs to test it further. When I did this, the resistor block fell off completely. This was a new resistor, but apparently a wire had broken inside. I replaced the resistor, and just for good measure, replaced the diode next to it. Both were tested before installation.

IMG_0418 (resized).JPGIMG_0418 (resized).JPG

I powered back up, went into test mode again and heard the sound I was looking for. The left hideout coil was now firing correctly!

#79 3 years ago

With the all solenoids and switches testing 100%, I could focus on the loose ends that needed to be finished. First was the main ramp. I made the decision that I wanted to switch from the OEM black ramp over to @Freeplay40’s clear ramp. I had a new black repro ramp all ready to go, but changed my mind before mounting the hardware to it.

I like the fact that he engineered this ramp extensively to make it not only modern in appearance, but functionally better. The clear ramp is quieter than the old ramp and is built so it doesn’t require the clear plastic shield on top. Since I mounted the rear flashers in the back corners, the clear ramp will make them visible. It really opens the game up and, I believe, this is the way it would have been done if HS was being made today.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps

#80 3 years ago

The only thing I don’t like about the clear ramp is the dead space and GI lights under the ramp that are visible. This is especially conspicuous when the traffic light is relocated, as the majority of clear ramp owners do. Before the newer traffic light mod that fits on a post next to the ramp entrance was produced, most people moved the original traffic light to the back left corner. I have seen various mods to cover the dead space- from decals on the ramp to toy police cars, motorcycles, helicopters, UFO’s etc., etc... I decided to mount the traffic light in its’ original location for 4 reasons:

1. The traffic light conceals the visible dead space without adding silly mods.
2. I have an extremely hard to find NOS traffic light cover that isn’t melted/warped.
3. I like “running” the red light by hitting the ball up the ramp under the traffic light.
4. If I relocated the original to the back left corner it would look cluttered with both the traffic light and the flasher.

I do like the look of the post traffic light mod. It was done very nicely and blends in well with the game. The red translucent ramp was also not an option at the time.

I sent the metal parts from my ramp to Freeplay40 to rivet them on and in less than a week, I had a new ramp! He also shined up the metal parts nicely.

IMG_0422 (resized).JPGIMG_0422 (resized).JPGIMG_0433 (resized).JPGIMG_0433 (resized).JPG
#81 3 years ago

I also received yet another shipment of parts for this machine from Pinball Resource. This shipment included a replacement nos microswitch for the right hideout (broke it by breaking the arm off while fitting wireforms, damn it!!!) new diverter arms and new pf pivot brackets for the cabinet.

While looking at pics of the back of the pf, I remembered that there are 2 wood blocks/rails attached back there. I located them in my giant box of parts removed from the original pf. They are 3/4” black painted wood and very chintzy. Since the other rails were replaced with better quality materials, I figured I should go ahead and replace these. Back to Lowe’s for a section of oak board and then over to my friend’s woodworking shop to cut them. Once cut, I sanded, painted and cleared them. Definitely an improvement over the old ones.

IMG_0552 (resized).JPGIMG_0552 (resized).JPG
#82 3 years ago

Since I am mounting the traffic light to the ramp, I took this time to refurbish the assembly. The traffic light assembly is a metal plate that holds three #44 lamp sockets. The lamp sockets are all mounted on a single metal bracket, similar to the multi-lamp metal brackets used on the underside of the pf. The bracket is held in place with 2 plastic standoffs.

IMG_0438 (resized).JPGIMG_0438 (resized).JPGIMG_0442 (resized).JPGIMG_0442 (resized).JPG

Like the other lamp brackets on the pf, the individual lamps on the bracket cannot just be replaced. With a little creativity, I came up with a way to mount new lamps on the standoffs. The new lamps have new diodes and I re-molexed the connector.

IMG_0467 (resized).JPGIMG_0467 (resized).JPGIMG_0468 (resized).JPGIMG_0468 (resized).JPGIMG_0529 (resized).JPGIMG_0529 (resized).JPG

I lined up the traffic light assembly on the ramp, comparing it to my old ramp. I measured several times to ensure that the assembly was positioned correctly and would not be too high and hit the pf glass. I marked and slowly drilled the holes in the ramp edge. I was worried about cracking the plastic, but everything went fine.

IMG_0530 (resized).JPGIMG_0530 (resized).JPG
#83 3 years ago

Next was installation of the ramp. It’s probably the most critical part of gameplay, so it’s gotta be perfect.

Freeplay40 told me that his ramp is designed so that the edge of the plastic at the bottom of the ramp should line up with the edge of the routed area on the pf. The metal flap goes over the edge and sits flush on the pf. I set it up this way and drilled the holes. The ramp has a total of 5 screws, 2 in the flap (#4-1/2”) and one on each of the 3 support legs (#6-1/2” truss).

I also wanted to get the 4 wireforms set in. The pre-drilled hole that accommodates the rear leg of the lower wireform on left side of the pf was close, and worked with a small bit of adjustment. The right side was way off. The hole had to be widened with a step bit to accommodate the leg in order for the wireform to line up correctly with the holes in the bracket of the ramp. Both wireforms locked in to the ramp just fine.

IMG_0500 (resized).JPGIMG_0500 (resized).JPG
#84 3 years ago

So after soldering up the new nos hideout switch, I attached it to the bracket, but found that the actuator arm was slightly off and was dragging against the side of the hole that the arm sticks through. This caused the switch to not reset properly. As I adjusted the arm, the damn switch cracked...AGAIN!!! This is an older style Cherry switch with very thin plastic that holds the actuator arm on the top of the switch.

IMG_0088 (resized).JPGIMG_0088 (resized).JPGIMG_0516 (resized).JPGIMG_0516 (resized).JPG

I got fed up with the nos switch and decided that I would just replace this model of switch (A-11047) with the newer version (5647-12693-20).

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-sub-microswitch-5647-12693-20-nos.html?Category_Code=

It’s a DB3 microswitch with the same actuator arm. The difference with this switch is that the actuator arm is attached over the top of the switch and can easily be adjusted without threat of cracking anything. Worst case, the arm pops off and I would have to reattach it. Since I did this to the right side, I went ahead and matched it on the left side. Both switches are also molexed for easy removal/adjustments.

IMG_0517 (resized).JPGIMG_0517 (resized).JPGIMG_0536 (resized).JPGIMG_0536 (resized).JPG
#85 3 years ago

I had some problems with the spinner switches below the pf (SW-1A-118) that I mentioned before. Even with adjustment, one in particular was not registering every turn of the spinner. They are the only switches in the game that I had not replaced with new. I saw a similar switch, the (B-8307) on Marco’s, but I decided to replace them with micros designed for spinners (500-5193-00). I figured that I might as well take care of this now while the pf is on the rotisserie than trying to fix it later on.

IMG_0523 (resized).JPGIMG_0523 (resized).JPGIMG_0518 (resized).JPGIMG_0518 (resized).JPG
#86 3 years ago

I cleaned up the wiring a little and installed wire guides where needed.

IMG_0501 (resized).JPGIMG_0501 (resized).JPG

I then assembled the diverter for screw installation and testing. The diverter assembly is the biggest assembly on the pf and is somewhat visible so I decided to send it out to be chromed after testing was completed. You'll see the finished product later.

IMG_8288 (resized).JPGIMG_8288 (resized).JPGIMG_8260 (resized).JPGIMG_8260 (resized).JPG
#87 3 years ago

I wanted to get the ramp in first so I could line up the diverter to work with it properly. Once it was lined up I drilled the holes, but did not attach it. I wanted to save this for last, since once the diverter is attached, the pf cannot go back on the rotisserie.

At this point I had done everything that needed to be done on the rotisserie and it was time to pull it down. I then installed the wood blocks at the back and attached the six metal posts along the back. They all use bolts that screw into tee nuts, so it went quickly.

Now I came to a part that I thought was straight forward, but ended up being tricky. I knew about the two bands that go around those posts at the back of the pf and had two Titan bands ready to go. I put them on, but when I attached the diverter, they rubbed against the diverter arms, preventing the arms from freely moving. Obviously I knew this was incorrect. I tried moving the bands in front of the posts, but that didn’t look correct either. After doing some Pinside research, I lucked up on a picture showing the bands actually wrapping around the back of the installed diverter assembly. I didn’t think it was correct, but after trying it, I found that it was.

IMG_0555 (resized).JPGIMG_0555 (resized).JPGIMG_0556 (resized).JPGIMG_0556 (resized).JPGIMG_0559 (resized).JPGIMG_0559 (resized).JPGIMG_0560 (resized).JPGIMG_0560 (resized).JPG
#88 3 years ago

I didn’t see the need to screw on the wood backboard right now as I would be removing the diverter for chroming. It was again time for testing, but this time the pf would be in the cab.

I bought the HF lift cart specifically for this project since it gave me the ability to drop the cabinet very low. This makes placing the pf into the cab 100 times easier than having the cab at normal height. I plugged up the wires and lifted it up to normal height. I fired it up and all tests were still normal.

IMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0562 (resized).JPG
#89 3 years ago

Last thing to do on the pf is the plastics. This is a licensed repro set.

IMG_0630 (resized).JPGIMG_0630 (resized).JPG

I needed to rivet new flasher light domes onto the plastics. I put red domes/flashers on the left side of the pf and blue domes/flashers on the right side.

The rivets are done by placing the rivet through the dome’s plastic tab. The rivet then goes through the plastic and a thin washer is placed on the bottom side. The plastic is then placed on a cloth and set on the anvil part of my table vice. I then carefully tapped the rivet rollover punch with a ball pein hammer. About 5 or so light hits secures the rivet. All of the rivets and the punch came from PinRestore.

IMG_0602 (resized).JPGIMG_0602 (resized).JPGIMG_0604 (resized).JPGIMG_0604 (resized).JPGIMG_0610 (resized).JPGIMG_0610 (resized).JPGIMG_0611 (resized).JPGIMG_0611 (resized).JPGIMG_0599 (resized).JPGIMG_0599 (resized).JPG
Some of the plastics have smaller tree/bush pieces attached with a bolt, spacers and a locknut. The old spacers were yellowed so they were replaced. Here you can see old vs. new:

IMG_0614 (resized).JPGIMG_0614 (resized).JPGIMG_0616 (resized).JPGIMG_0616 (resized).JPGIMG_0618 (resized).JPGIMG_0618 (resized).JPGIMG_0621 (resized).JPGIMG_0621 (resized).JPG

A couple of the plastics have a metal bell attached to prevent ball traps. They all fit into their correct holes on the new plastics, but I added a small bolt and nut to ensure that they don’t pop off if they get hit by the ball. Tip- if you do this be sure to add a little Locktite on the bolt or the nut will work its way off from game vibration.

IMG_0622 (resized).JPGIMG_0622 (resized).JPGIMG_0623 (resized).JPGIMG_0623 (resized).JPG

#90 3 years ago

Pics from the old pf were very helpful in knowing how/where all of the plastics attached to the pf.

With all of the plastics in place, I could finally declare the pf swap finished!!! I then put the glass on and played my first test game!

IMG_0624 (resized).JPGIMG_0624 (resized).JPGIMG_0627 (resized).JPGIMG_0627 (resized).JPGIMG_0629 (resized).JPGIMG_0629 (resized).JPG
#91 3 years ago

With the pf done, it’s now time to look at the cabinet. First I wanted to make a new speaker panel.

The old speaker panel was in pretty bad shape. For an unknown reason, there were four holes drilled through the front of the panel by a previous owner. Carriage bolts were put in that were attached to L brackets screwed into the backbox. This really didn’t make sense because there are already factory L brackets on the sides of the panel that adequately secure it to the back box. Who knows...

IMG_0932 (resized).JPGIMG_0932 (resized).JPGIMG_5357 (resized).JPGIMG_5357 (resized).JPGIMG_5359 (resized).JPGIMG_5359 (resized).JPGIMG_5355 (resized).JPGIMG_5355 (resized).JPGIMG_5354 (resized).JPGIMG_5354 (resized).JPG
#92 3 years ago

I was on the fence about the speakers. The original setup is a single 4”x10” 4 ohm speaker in the backbox and a 6.5” 4 ohm subwoofer in the cab. I had already replaced the speakers when I first got the game because the old ones were corroded. I replaced them with Pyle speakers and they sounded decent. The only issue is that the Pyle subwoofer was tall enough that the back of the pf would drag on it when lifted into service position. Also, since I had done everything else high-end, I figured the speakers should be one of the pinball-specific kits. My options were:

1- Pinball Pro makes a set with a 4x10 speaker and sub that is exactly like the original. It is expensive though, $170 for the regular system or $220 for the upgraded sub system, plus shipping. I have never used PP speakers, so I don’t know much about them.

https://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-system-11-games-w-4x10-speaker/

2- Flipper Fidelity does not make a specific set for this machine, but I could create 2 speaker holes in the panel. I would then wire two of their 4” speakers in series and then get one of their 8” subs. Total cost around $90 shipped. I have used FF speakers in the past in Metallica and they sounded great.

Greg (PP) and Michael (FF) are both very helpful. In the end I went with option #2 (FF) because I was familiar with the product, not to mention the significant difference in price.

IMG_0770 (resized).JPGIMG_0770 (resized).JPG

#93 3 years ago

The new speaker panel was sanded, painted black and cleared. After attaching new plastic grille over the speakers with glue and staples, I finished the panel with speaker fabric, re-attached the L-brackets, and added ground braid. It was fitted with the metal backglass channel, which was sent off for chrome.

This is about halfway done, you’ll see the finished product later in the thread.

IMG_0775 (resized).JPGIMG_0775 (resized).JPG
#94 3 years ago

With everything done, it was time to figure out the cab. I knew that I would never be able to get this cabinet to the level I wanted it to be. This was a long, drawn-out process that took over a year. I researched building my own cab, but even with my friend’s wood shop, it was a very daunting task and I was concerned that the cabinet wouldn’t be an exact replica. I did eventually locate a source that was able to produce exact copies of HS and Taxi cabinets. I was asked to not disclose the source so I won’t.

While waiting on the cab to be completed, I decided on the parts I want to be chromed. Essentially, I planned to chrome all major cabinet parts. This includes all stainless parts visible outside of the cabinet (lockdown bar, side rails, speaker panel parts, etc.)

At first I took the parts to a local chrome guy. He does very good work on car parts, but when I brought these parts in he looked at them like they came from an alien spaceship. He still said he would do them, but I thought that I should probably get another quote from a chrome guy that specializes in pinball parts. I read about Chris Royalty’s (@sc93cobra) Hot Rod Arcade work on Pinside, so I contacted him. After speaking with Chris, I chose his company to do the work.

Chris was very responsive and honest in the transaction. His work is expensive and takes time, but he did an awesome job!

Chrome (resized).jpgChrome (resized).jpg
#95 3 years ago

Just prior to ordering the cabinets, I acquired Taxi. I was looking for one at a reasonable price and found one near Orlando. After a 14-hour round trip...

IMG_3163 (resized).JPGIMG_3163 (resized).JPG

it was in my house.

IMG_3165 (resized).JPGIMG_3165 (resized).JPG
#96 3 years ago

For now, back to HS. My cabinets arrived in May 2020 via STI and looked great. The only change to them that I requested was to add skids on the back of the cabs so when they are sitting upright they are not flat on the floor. This also eliminates any issues with the backbox latch getting damaged when the game is upright.

Now comes the ugly part: cabinet prep and painting.

IMG_4230 (resized).JPGIMG_4230 (resized).JPG
#97 3 years ago

I will freely admit that I hate painting. I considered farming this out, but decided it was time to learn.

The equipment:
• Harbor Freight Spectrum HVLP gun
• DeWalt orbital sander
• 3M sanding blocks and sandpaper
• Frog Tape and masking paper
• Tack cloth
• PPE- Respirator, goggles, gloves, etc.

The paint:
• Sherwin Williams oil based primer and oil based paints
• Naptha for thinning at 4 : 1 ratio

First step in prepping was filling knot holes and other irregularities. Next was a TON of sanding. With a friend’s help the cabs were sanded from 120 grit to 800 grit. We started around 1pm and finished both cabs around 7pm, so about 3 hours per cab.

I then cleaned, masked and primed both cabs. I then re-sanded them until they were extremely smooth.

IMG_4486 (resized).JPGIMG_4486 (resized).JPGIMG_4864 (resized).JPGIMG_4864 (resized).JPG
#98 3 years ago

I prefer the look and function of the newer-style lighted start buttons to the old white plastic start button with a leaf switch. The hardest part was figuring out the conversion from a leaf switch to a microswitch, but nothing too complex.

Since I’m using the newer style start button, I had to recess the hole. I was very grateful that my friend PinPilot wrote up a nice how-to for this in his HS restoration thread. I bought a set of Ryobi forstner bits at Home Depot for a reasonable price that worked great. BTW- there’s a ton of other great information in that thread!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restoration-in-low-speed-jan-2020

#99 3 years ago

Old cab heading out.

IMG_1163 (resized).JPGIMG_1163 (resized).JPGIMG_E1223 (resized).JPGIMG_E1223 (resized).JPG
#100 3 years ago

Finding a summer day in Atlanta with reasonable humidity is virtually impossible. This delayed the painting until September. HS was painted first because I figured it would be the easiest to start with since it’s all one color and it’s black, so there’s no issues with matching paint color.

I found that 2 coats was the sweet spot for this paint.

IMG_5388 (resized).JPGIMG_5388 (resized).JPGIMG_5540 (resized).JPGIMG_5540 (resized).JPG

#101 3 years ago

Next was another learning experience: decals. I would have gladly used Radcals, but they aren’t made for HS.

After a lot of research in decal application methods, I found the best and simplest for me were the dry application YouTube videos by @mccune. The videos are short and to the point. I had a helper doing the same tasks as the helper in the video. The dry method is quick and clean, but it’s also final. Basically, zero room for error as there’s no adjusting once it’s down.

I used this felt squeegee kit from Amazon and it worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFGFY2L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image

#102 3 years ago

First I did the backbox. The decals are small so this was a good starting point to figure out how they are applied.

Backbox:
(Color in pic is very washed out from sunlight)
IMG_5640 (resized).JPGIMG_5640 (resized).JPG

I did the front of the cabinet next. The most difficult part was lining up the decal. The center was not cut out so I had to maneuver the decal around until I got it just right and level. I read that some people use a block of wood to keep the coin door hole from sagging, but I didn’t have an issue with that. I made sure to tack cloth the cab and the decal to avoid any dust or dirt from getting under the decal.

After applying the decal, I then trimmed the edges to the cab using a metal straight edge. I trimmed them back approx 1/16” from the edge of the cab so they wouldn’t be damaged when using a lift cart. Once that was done I cut out the coin door, the plunger hole and the start button hole. All of my trimming and cuts were done using an exacto knife with new blades. I had to change out the blade a few times because they would get gummed up with decal glue. Lastly, I ran a sharpie along the edge to blend the cut decal edge with the cab.

Last was side decals. Again, what took me the longest was lining up the decals to keep everything straight and level. I had to line up the stripe with the front decal and then take measurements from the bottom of the stripe to the bottom of the cab, ensuring equal distance all along the side of the cab. I easily spent over an hour on each one to get this just right. Considering how expensive decals are, it was time well spent.

IMG_5700 (resized).JPGIMG_5700 (resized).JPGIMG_5708 (resized).JPGIMG_5708 (resized).JPG
#103 3 years ago

The HS cab then left my garage and was moved to the basement for final assembly. Ground braiding was completed using 1/4” braid like the original.

IMG_0779 (resized).JPGIMG_0779 (resized).JPGIMG_5795 (resized).JPGIMG_5795 (resized).JPG
#104 3 years ago

All of my chrome parts arrived from Hot Rod Arcade and look great! The backbox was assembled first. The hardest part was centering and attaching the light bar on top.

As you may recall, toward the beginning of the thread I mentioned the early design stages of the lightbar. Instead of the design with multiple lightbars, I found an led red/blue police lightbar that looks modern, provides 360 degree light and fits perfectly on top of the game. I think it blends in much better than my earlier designs. Again, definitely not for purists, but I like it.

The chrome pieces above and below the speaker panel were attached. The backbox is assembled and finished.

IMG_5778 (resized).JPGIMG_5778 (resized).JPGIMG_5783 (resized).JPGIMG_5783 (resized).JPGIMG_5788 (resized).JPGIMG_5788 (resized).JPGIMG_5790 (resized).JPGIMG_5790 (resized).JPG
#105 3 years ago

I re-assembled the diverter and attached it to the playfield.

IMG_5867 (resized).JPGIMG_5867 (resized).JPGIMG_5872 (resized).JPGIMG_5872 (resized).JPGIMG_5875 (resized).JPGIMG_5875 (resized).JPG

Backboard was sanded, painted, cleared and attached. I added felt strips to the sides of the pf to prevent scratches when lifting/lowering the pf.

IMG_5929 (resized).JPGIMG_5929 (resized).JPG
#106 3 years ago

Building up the cab’s interior. I installed new plastic sliding channels for the glass, a new lockdown bar receiver, the cab wiring harness, the transformer and other interior parts. I placed the pf to ensure fit.

IMG_5862 (resized).JPGIMG_5862 (resized).JPGIMG_5881 (resized).JPGIMG_5881 (resized).JPGIMG_5883 (resized).JPGIMG_5883 (resized).JPG
#107 3 years ago

I then installed the side rails. Instead of the OEM side rails that are attached to the cab with multiple small nails, I opted to go with the newer style of System 11 side rails that use double-sided tape and just 2 bolts. I think this was the better choice as it looks cleaner, plus I really, really did not want to have to hammer anything on the beautiful chrome polished rails.

A couple of tips I gathered from Pinside-

- After attaching the tape to the inside of the rail, pull 5 inches or so of the backing off and let it hang down, then loosely install the front and back rail bolts to line up the rail to the cab. By having them loosely secured, you’ll know that the rail is in the correct position.

- Slowly pull down on the tape, all the way to the end and then press down on the rail to secure it. I used a microfiber cloth, working front to back to make sure there was a good seal. I then tightened up the bolts.

IMG_5886 (resized).JPGIMG_5886 (resized).JPG

#108 3 years ago

Last was attaching the backbox and preparing to get her up on legs.

IMG_5887 (resized).JPGIMG_5887 (resized).JPGIMG_5888 (resized).JPGIMG_5888 (resized).JPG
#109 3 years ago

With everything assembled and connected, the moment was finally here to flip the switch on what hopefully would be a fully functional HS rebuild. The game powered up perfectly and went into attract mode!! Success!!!

IMG_5891 (resized).JPGIMG_5891 (resized).JPGIMG_5892 (resized).JPGIMG_5892 (resized).JPG
#110 3 years ago

After verifying that there were no major issues, I started working on some homemade stadium lighting. Even with brighter GI leds, HS still has a somewhat dark playfield, especially when playing in the dark.

I was going to add spotlights, but I like the appearance of stadium lighting better. I just refuse to pay the ridiculous $300 price that PinStadium charges. They came up with a great concept and I would happily support them if they didn’t insanely overcharge for their products. Every mod seller needs to make some money, but damn. You can build them yourself for around $100 in parts that will make 2 sets. I had a set of the real ones that a previous owner had installed in a MBrLE I owned. I see absolutely no difference in the appearance, quality and function of homemade ones vs. actual PinStadiums. Sorry, I just hate seeing people get ripped off.

IMG_5922 (resized).JPGIMG_5922 (resized).JPG

If you decide to try it, there’s a great DIY thread on Pinside. AUKraut lists all the parts/sources you will need and HurryUpPinball has great step by step YouTube tutorials on how to assemble and install them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting

Building:

Installation:

#111 3 years ago

As a side note, AUKraut also came up with a method to add a small relay to the lights that connects to the GI. This is especially important in HS and Taxi because there are multiple GI on/off and flashing effects that wouldn’t look nearly as good if the stadium lights stayed on all the time. This cheap relay syncs everything up perfectly!

IMG_5925 (resized).JPGIMG_5925 (resized).JPGIMG_5926 (resized).JPGIMG_5926 (resized).JPG

Sometimes I like to play with them on, and sometimes not. It's fun to change the colors too. They are on a remote control so I can change them or turn them off easily.

IMG_5982 (resized).JPGIMG_5982 (resized).JPG
#112 3 years ago

Of course there were some dial-in issues to deal with. A poorly adjusted hideout switch caused me a lot of headaches by screwing up the multiball sequence. Also I was getting rejects from the escape hole/saucer that was due to the cliffy being new. Once the cliffy wore down slightly and bent itself a little bit into the hole it stopped causing rejects. Nothing too bad.

Some of the leftovers:

IMG_0713 (resized).JPGIMG_0713 (resized).JPG

#113 3 years ago

With those issues taken care of, I finally declared the game finished in October 2020. I added repro serial number decals and date of manufacture decal.

IMG_7493 (resized).jpgIMG_7493 (resized).jpg

I now understand what a difference it makes to play the game from new. It’s a completely different experience from playing the 30+ year old beat up routed games that I was used to. The orbits are rocket fast! Everything flows perfectly and smoothly. It’s a beautiful thing when you smoke a shot around the orbit to the upper flipper and then up the ramp! Finished it off with a sheet of Stern HD glass.

Here are the final pics:

IMG_5947 (resized).JPGIMG_5947 (resized).JPGIMG_5948 (resized).JPGIMG_5948 (resized).JPGIMG_5949 (resized).JPGIMG_5949 (resized).JPGIMG_5950 (resized).JPGIMG_5950 (resized).JPG

IMG_5995 (resized).JPGIMG_5995 (resized).JPGIMG_6250 (resized).JPGIMG_6250 (resized).JPGIMG_5956 (resized).JPGIMG_5956 (resized).JPGIMG_5960 (resized).JPGIMG_5960 (resized).JPGIMG_5961 (resized).JPGIMG_5961 (resized).JPGIMG_5963 (resized).JPGIMG_5963 (resized).JPGIMG_5968 (resized).JPGIMG_5968 (resized).JPGIMG_5984 (resized).JPGIMG_5984 (resized).JPGIMG_6244 (resized).JPGIMG_6244 (resized).JPGIMG_6245 (resized).JPGIMG_6245 (resized).JPGIMG_5983 (resized).JPGIMG_5983 (resized).JPGIMG_5985 (resized).JPGIMG_5985 (resized).JPG
#114 3 years ago

So that concludes HS. If you’re still interested, stay tuned for the Taxi rebuild!

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Your not done until the wall traffic light lights up the same as the stop light on the play field.

Lol! Believe it or not, I actually found plans online somewhere by a person who did that! I thought about it, but I already paid for a computer board that makes the big one sequence like a real traffic light.

#117 3 years ago

So as a quick review, I was well into HS when I decided I wanted a Taxi to go with it. My main criteria for buying the game was that it had clean boards and was fully working. Minor issues were ok, I just didn’t want a project machine. Cosmetics obviously didn’t matter because it was getting the same treatment as HS.

I picked up Taxi in Florida and got it set up at home. Mostly everything worked so that’s a good place to start from.

IMG_3163 (resized).JPGIMG_3163 (resized).JPGIMG_3171 (resized).JPGIMG_3171 (resized).JPG
#118 3 years ago

Overall, the machine was what I would call standard players’ condition. It certainly wasn’t beautiful, but it wasn’t terrible either. It had all aspects you would expect in a heavily routed Taxi- beat up cab, worn pf, liquid stains, dirty inside cab, etc.

Cabinet:

IMG_3173 (resized).JPGIMG_3173 (resized).JPGIMG_3177 (resized).JPGIMG_3177 (resized).JPGIMG_3175 (resized).JPGIMG_3175 (resized).JPGIMG_3174 (resized).JPGIMG_3174 (resized).JPGIMG_3179 (resized).JPGIMG_3179 (resized).JPGIMG_3178 (resized).JPGIMG_3178 (resized).JPGIMG_3180 (resized).JPGIMG_3180 (resized).JPGIMG_3182 (resized).JPGIMG_3182 (resized).JPGIMG_3184 (resized).JPGIMG_3184 (resized).JPGIMG_3185 (resized).JPGIMG_3185 (resized).JPGIMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3355 (resized).JPGIMG_3355 (resized).JPGIMG_3345 (resized).JPGIMG_3345 (resized).JPGIMG_3343 (resized).JPGIMG_3343 (resized).JPGIMG_3346 (resized).JPGIMG_3346 (resized).JPGIMG_3356 (resized).JPGIMG_3356 (resized).JPGIMG_3358 (resized).JPGIMG_3358 (resized).JPGIMG_3384 (resized).JPGIMG_3384 (resized).JPG
#119 3 years ago

Playfield:
IMG_3183 (resized).JPGIMG_3183 (resized).JPGIMG_3201 (resized).JPGIMG_3201 (resized).JPGIMG_3203 (resized).JPGIMG_3203 (resized).JPGIMG_3204 (resized).JPGIMG_3204 (resized).JPGIMG_3205 (resized).JPGIMG_3205 (resized).JPGIMG_3210 (resized).JPGIMG_3210 (resized).JPGIMG_3211 (resized).JPGIMG_3211 (resized).JPGIMG_3218 (resized).JPGIMG_3218 (resized).JPGIMG_3222 (resized).JPGIMG_3222 (resized).JPGIMG_3225 (resized).JPGIMG_3225 (resized).JPGIMG_3226 (resized).JPGIMG_3226 (resized).JPGIMG_3233 (resized).JPGIMG_3233 (resized).JPGIMG_3243 (resized).JPGIMG_3243 (resized).JPGIMG_3202 (resized).JPGIMG_3202 (resized).JPG

IMG_3319 (resized).JPGIMG_3319 (resized).JPG
#120 3 years ago

Compared to the rest of the machine, the boards were in surprisingly good shape. They didn’t have any of the white rust issues (see next post), no visible acid damage and no hacks. The MPU, sound board and interconnect board all had serial number decals matching the machine. The power supply and auxiliary board had different serial decals.

IMG_3160 (resized).JPGIMG_3160 (resized).JPGIMG_3285 (resized).JPGIMG_3285 (resized).JPGIMG_3286 (resized).JPGIMG_3286 (resized).JPGIMG_3291 (resized).JPGIMG_3291 (resized).JPGIMG_3296 (resized).JPGIMG_3296 (resized).JPGIMG_3416 (resized).JPGIMG_3416 (resized).JPG

#121 3 years ago

One thing I noticed was white/yellowish powder-like residue on pretty much every metal part under the pf. Lamps, mechs, everything metal had this. The metal wasn’t actually rusted, just coated with the powder. The powder resembled pollen and would come off with a damp cloth. After doing some research I believe that this is what is referred to as “white rust”. I’m guessing that the game spent time on location in Florida where high humidity contributed to this, maybe? Who knows...

IMG_3329 (resized).JPGIMG_3329 (resized).JPGIMG_3328 (resized).JPGIMG_3328 (resized).JPG

#122 3 years ago

After a couple weeks of having a Taxi at home to play whenever I wanted out of my system, it was time to tear into the game and see what’s going on.

First issue I noticed is that the bell would just “ding” once when the bell should fully ring. This was just a switch adjustment issue on the bell. The switch contacts were firmly pressing against each other. The left leaf needed to be adjusted back so they are just barely in contact.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/37#post-5603950

#123 3 years ago

Another issue was that playfield GI did not turn on and off during gameplay. It just stayed on all the time. The backbox GI flashed correctly. Sounds like a minor issue, but it ended up being a much more complicated one. I did some research and found that Taxi has 2 relay boards for the GI, one in the head behind the light board and one under the pf in the lower right corner. The board in the head looked fine.

IMG_3282 (resized).JPGIMG_3282 (resized).JPG

Upon looking under the pf, I found that the relay board was completely missing! Near the location where the relay board should have been there was a .156 molex connector with a zip tie wrapped around it hanging from the wire harness as well as a disconnected 2-wire connector.
IMG_3380 (resized).JPGIMG_3380 (resized).JPGIMG_3379 (resized).JPGIMG_3379 (resized).JPG

#124 3 years ago

I figured one of two things happened- an operator needed the relay board for another game and just robbed this one or something bad happened to the GI and fried the board. Either way, to make the game whole I would need to get another board and then figure out how the wiring was hacked to keep the GI on all the time.

I discovered that the relay board was not made by any repro company since Great Lakes Modular made them and they are out of business. There were none for sale from any of the usual sources or Ebay.

Fortunately, I stumbled across the company LED OCD and one of their products, GI OCD. I pm’d the owner, @herg, who is a great guy, and was absolutely the key to solving this issue. He helped me dive into the problem, starting with this hacked GI connector on the IC board at J9. We also discovered some other issues, like poorly crimped pins in a molex connector at J7 that were causing intermittent problems with the backbox GI.

IMG_3381 (resized).JPGIMG_3381 (resized).JPGIMG_3383 (resized).JPGIMG_3383 (resized).JPGIMG_3385 (resized).JPGIMG_3385 (resized).JPGIMG_3400 (resized).JPGIMG_3400 (resized).JPG

#125 3 years ago

Pretty sure this guy doesn't belong in Taxi!

IMG_3397 (resized).JPGIMG_3397 (resized).JPGIMG_3398 (resized).JPGIMG_3398 (resized).JPGIMG_3399 (resized).JPGIMG_3399 (resized).JPG
#126 3 years ago

herg and I were able to track all of the hacks down. I then purchased two GI OCD boards to replace the missing one and the one for the backbox.

IMG_3429 (resized).JPGIMG_3429 (resized).JPGIMG_3450 (resized).JPGIMG_3450 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#128 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Glad you got this all fixed.

For anyone reading this thread that may need one in the future ... I have these boards available as bare or complete. I have a thread here on Pinside and the first post lists what I have available.
[quoted image]

Thanks for making these available again!

IMG_3498 (resized).JPGIMG_3498 (resized).JPGIMG_3500 (resized).JPGIMG_3500 (resized).JPGIMG_3499 (resized).JPGIMG_3499 (resized).JPG
#129 3 years ago

Yay Pinside is back!

Continuing on, with the GI problem solved the machine was now working 100% and I could begin acquiring parts for the rebuild. I already had the new cabinet, so my first purchases were a Mirco pf and a set of Radcals.

IMG_3498 (resized).JPGIMG_3498 (resized).JPGIMG_3499 (resized).JPGIMG_3499 (resized).JPGIMG_4357 (resized).JPGIMG_4357 (resized).JPG
#130 3 years ago

First task was to deal with the backbox lightboard/door. The old door was in pretty bad shape. It had areas of swelling as well as damage from liquid spilled on it. It possibly could have been sanded down, but I believe the best option was to replace it.

IMG_3957 (resized).JPGIMG_3957 (resized).JPGIMG_3946 (resized).JPGIMG_3946 (resized).JPGIMG_3980 (resized).JPGIMG_3980 (resized).JPGIMG_6433 (resized).JPGIMG_6433 (resized).JPG

I bought a piece of MDF and cut it to the size of the door. I then clamped it to the old board, routed it and drilled the holes.

IMG_4280 (resized).JPGIMG_4280 (resized).JPG

The board was painted and cleared.

IMG_4337 (resized).JPGIMG_4337 (resized).JPG

#131 3 years ago

After removing displays, hardware, wiring harness, etc. from the old board, I removed the lamp sockets. I tried to leave as much of the ground braid as possible so I would have a template for it on the new door. I also marked locations of other large objects on the door.

IMG_4361 (resized).JPGIMG_4361 (resized).JPG

Next was new ground braid. I used the same better quality wire from PinRestore that I used in HS. This is a very tedious task that took hours.

Along the ground braid all new lamp sockets were installed.

IMG_4360 (resized).JPGIMG_4360 (resized).JPGIMG_4362 (resized).JPGIMG_4362 (resized).JPG

The wire harness was cleaned and re-molexed. Lastly, the jackpot display was replaced with an X-Pin led display.

IMG_4378 (resized).JPGIMG_4378 (resized).JPGIMG_4381 (resized).JPGIMG_4381 (resized).JPG

#132 3 years ago

Back to the cab. I could start painting right away since the cab was already drilled, primed and sanded along with HS:

IMG_4386 (resized).JPGIMG_4386 (resized).JPGIMG_4487 (resized).JPGIMG_4487 (resized).JPGIMG_5330 (resized).JPGIMG_5330 (resized).JPG

IMG_4864 (resized).JPGIMG_4864 (resized).JPG
#133 3 years ago

Acquiring paint for Taxi was a little more difficult than HS since I had to match it. I am using Radcals, which somewhat match the original Taxi color, but have slightly more of an orange tint.

I took the Radcal to Sherwin Williams to match the color. Due to the reflectivity of the decal, their scanner wouldn’t read it correctly. I went back to my original cab to look for a place with minimal exposure to fading or dirt. The best place I could find was on the cab under the head and under a bracket where the paint was very well protected. I cut off a small sample and returned to SW. They scanned the sample and mixed in a little more red to make a color that matched the Radcals very nicely. The color is washed out by lighting in these pics.

1ABF22DB-48EB-49A0-80CA-0A01F46FFBC2 (resized).jpeg1ABF22DB-48EB-49A0-80CA-0A01F46FFBC2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6231 (resized).JPGIMG_6231 (resized).JPG

I painted the interior and front of the head with the same black paint from HS. I allowed a week of cure time between coats.

Painting is really messy and cleaning an HVLP gun sucks!
IMG_5350 (resized).JPGIMG_5350 (resized).JPG

#134 3 years ago

I moved on to dealing with the harnesses. Unlike HS that has molex connectors in between, I discovered that Taxi’s harnesses go directly from the pf to the boards. You cannot quickly disconnect the pf on Taxi which is annoying. I like being able to pop a few molexes and pull the pf if I ever need to. Lots of work, but much better!

Molex disconnect (resized).jpegMolex disconnect (resized).jpegMolex disconnect2 (resized).jpegMolex disconnect2 (resized).jpeg
#135 3 years ago

I used a different process for cleaning the harnesses this time. I liked the dishwasher process, but saw the method Jjsmooth used, putting the harnesses into a bucket full of Grease Lightning for a day. I tried that and found that it worked equally well as the dishwasher. I also threw the mechs in there. Most of the parts will be replaced with new, but some unusual ones will be refurbished.

IMG_5274 (resized).JPGIMG_5274 (resized).JPGIMG_5275 (resized).JPGIMG_5275 (resized).JPG
#136 3 years ago

Like HS, I cut off all of the connectors (IDC's) to the boards, re-pinned the wires with trifurcons and molexed them. Most of the IDC's were yellow but ok. A couple were molexed (poorly) by other owners:

IMG_3400 (resized).JPGIMG_3400 (resized).JPG

Some were cracked and a few even had signs of fire!
IMG_6269 (resized).JPGIMG_6269 (resized).JPG

Lots of pics, lots of patience and they are all re-done.
IMG_6296 (resized).JPGIMG_6296 (resized).JPG

That’s a lot of connectors!

IMG_6267 (resized).JPGIMG_6267 (resized).JPG

#137 3 years ago

Some pics of old pf topside teardown

IMG_4866 (resized).JPGIMG_4866 (resized).JPGIMG_4912 (resized).JPGIMG_4912 (resized).JPGIMG_4999 (resized).JPGIMG_4999 (resized).JPGIMG_5073 (resized).JPGIMG_5073 (resized).JPGIMG_5160 (resized).JPGIMG_5160 (resized).JPGIMG_5221 (resized).JPGIMG_5221 (resized).JPG
#138 3 years ago

Underside teardown

Bottom side start (resized).jpgBottom side start (resized).jpgIMG_5236 (resized).JPGIMG_5236 (resized).JPG

IMG_5253 (resized).JPGIMG_5253 (resized).JPG
#139 3 years ago

Like HS, I sourced new boards where I could.

The power supply and auxiliary board were replaced with Pinball PCB. I will replace the sound board and MPU in the future when they produce them.

The IC board was the only board with obvious physical damage. Some of the header pins had heat damage. It's really just a pass-through board that doesn’t have any electrical components. I found a repro made by Gulf Pinball.

The MPU was sent to @Chrishibler's shop for modernization/refurbishment.

I also replaced the large 30,000uF 25V cap, the bridge rectifier and the fuse holder with new.

IMG_3401 (resized).JPGIMG_3401 (resized).JPGBig Cap-1 (resized).JPGBig Cap-1 (resized).JPGBridge Rectifier-1 (resized).JPGBridge Rectifier-1 (resized).JPGIMG_4177 (resized).JPGIMG_4177 (resized).JPGNew cap and BR (resized).jpgNew cap and BR (resized).jpg
#140 3 years ago

I removed all of the pcb's from the large metal board in the backbox and found an interesting bit of information about the history of this game. Here’s what I saw-

IMG_4275 (resized).JPGIMG_4275 (resized).JPG

Well, that explains the power supply and auxiliary board being replaced as well as the burnt IDC's!

The metal board was sanded, painted and cleared. Like HS, I didn’t paint the back of the board or standoffs to avoid grounding issues.
[att

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

This is great to follow along with. These machines look tremendous.

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

#143 3 years ago

Back to the cab. Needed to do some more gutting to get all of the metal parts off.

IMG_3808 (resized).JPGIMG_3808 (resized).JPGIMG_4511 (resized).JPGIMG_4511 (resized).JPG

#144 3 years ago

Pulling the siderails. You have to be careful or they will crease, destroying them. My method was a heat gun along with a few putty knives. You slowly work your way along with one putty knife, loosening the tape from the cab. Stick the extra putty knives under the rail as you progress to keep the rail from re-adhering to the cab.

IMG_4561 (resized).JPGIMG_4561 (resized).JPGIMG_4563 (resized).JPGIMG_4563 (resized).JPGIMG_4559 (resized).JPGIMG_4559 (resized).JPG
#145 3 years ago

I considered giving Taxi the same chrome treatment as HS. I decided not to for two reasons:

1. I absolutely love the look of the chrome on HS. It’s beautiful. BUT, after a month of having that chrome I realized what a pain in the ass it is. Every time someone plays there are fingerprints all over it. It has to be frequently polished to look good.

2. After seeing several Taxi restorations (including HEP) that used black powdercoating for the game’s armor, I felt that it ties into the game better than chrome. The black/yellow contrast just looks right to me.

I shopped around for powdercoating services. The best service at the best price I found was HemiOrange09 (Steve at MI Pinball Refinery). His $250 deal can’t be beat! The downside is that shipping a big, heavy box full of metal parts back and forth is not cheap.

Turnaround was quick and I was very pleased with Steve’s service.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-can-powder-coat-your-pinball-armor-for-29500-plus-return-shipping

IMG_5268 (resized).JPGIMG_5268 (resized).JPG
#146 3 years ago

While working on the cab I got a big shipment of parts from PBR, including a mostly complete new set of coils. The two more unusual small coils (bell and upper pf ball gate) came from other sources.

I first re-built both flipper mechs. They are built with the newer-style extended spring.

IMG_3772.JPGIMG_3772.JPG

I re-labeled all of the coils with wrappers made by @athens95. His coil wrappers look great, are easy to apply and are made of a vinyl material that cleans easily. (Note- diodes were later cut off)

IMG_6179 (resized).JPGIMG_6179 (resized).JPGIMG_6180 (resized).JPGIMG_6180 (resized).JPG

#147 3 years ago

Next is soldering new wires to each coil and molexing them. This takes hours to do, but it will make things very easy when rebuilding and placing the mechs on the pf.

I have the old mechs nearby to verify wire colors.
IMG_6183 (resized).JPGIMG_6183 (resized).JPGIMG_6184 (resized).JPGIMG_6184 (resized).JPG

The graduating class of new coils!
IMG_6206 (resized).JPGIMG_6206 (resized).JPG

Packed and set aside until they are needed to build mechs.
IMG_6207 (resized).JPGIMG_6207 (resized).JPG

#148 3 years ago

In that big parts shipment I also received a ton of lamp sockets. Like HS, every single lamp in this game is being replaced (with their diodes...uggggh).

I prepped the lamps with diodes using the same procedure as before. I then laid out the harnesses and began cutting off old lamps and attaching new ones, including new flasher lamp sockets.

IMG_5550 (resized).JPGIMG_5550 (resized).JPG
#149 3 years ago

Another side project was making the wood rails. Like HS, Taxi has wood rails made of super cheap wood wrapped with black laminate.

IMG_6262 (resized).JPGIMG_6262 (resized).JPG

I bought oak board at Lowe’s and my friend again easily cut and straightened the rails. The only additional challenge with Taxi’s rails are the cut out notches in the shooter lane to accommodate the wireform. He came up with a way to perfectly cut these notches using a table saw.

IMG_6259 (resized).JPGIMG_6259 (resized).JPG

With the rails cut, I sanded and edged them. I then primed and painted them.

IMG_6324 (resized).JPGIMG_6324 (resized).JPG

The new rails are MUCH better than the old ones!

#150 2 years ago

With the cab painted, it was time to install the Radcals. For those not familiar, they are essentially a thick plastic cabinet decal that has a high gloss appearance.

The great thing about them is that since they are thick plastic they are WAY easier to install than standard decals. You don’t have to worry about them getting creases or air bubbles or sticking to themselves. You also don’t have to worry about them amplifying every little imperfection in the wood like decals. Also, they are already cut to the shape you need so there’s no edge trimming required!

They have paper on the back covering the adhesive and plastic protective film that you peel off on the front side.

IMG_4357 (resized).JPGIMG_4357 (resized).JPG
#151 2 years ago

My procedure was pretty much the same as HS decals. I did the front first. The door and start button were already cut out, so I figured that was again the best place to start since I would need to line up the sides with it and I wasn’t going to have much flexibility in the placement.

I went ahead and installed the start button so I would have an accurate way to center the decal.

I again used the hinge method to install them:

1. Line up the decal and put a heavy object on one end of it.

2. Lift the opposite end and remove the backing paper to expose the adhesive, about 25% of the entire decal.

3. Cut the backing paper off with scissors and let that end of the decal adhere to the cab. I still used my felt-covered squeegee to smooth it out, but honestly, with these you could just do it with your hand.

4. Remove the heavy weight and place it on the finished end. Lift the unfinished side and pull the rest of the backing paper as you smooth out the Radcal until it’s finished.

That’s really about it for the installation. The sides are obviously much bigger than the front, but the process is the same.

IMG_6270 (resized).JPGIMG_6270 (resized).JPG
#152 2 years ago

The only tricky part of Radcals is cutting out holes. Bolt holes are pretty simple. I just shined a flashlight from the inside of the cab and you can easily see the location of the holes through the Radcal. I then marked the spots with a pick, started the holes with a brad tip bit, then used the correct size bit for the hole.

IMG_6275 (resized).JPGIMG_6275 (resized).JPG

The tricky part I mentioned is cutting out larger holes, such as buttons. Fortunately, I have some leeway on Taxi as the flipper button holes will be covered by the side rails.

Shining light through as mentioned above, I started out by drilling a hole and then just a “rough cut” using a brand new Xacto knife blade. You just have to be very careful the the knife doesn’t slip.

I then used my Dremel with a round grinder on low speed to finish out the hole. Lastly, I test fit a side rail and a flipper button to ensure fit.

This was also a good time to drill the holes for the side rail bolts.

IMG_6272 (resized).JPGIMG_6272 (resized).JPG
#153 2 years ago

I drilled holes for the leg bolt plates and installed the cabinet leg protectors on the outside. The Radcal is already pre-cut for the legs, so that helped.

IMG_6276 (resized).JPGIMG_6276 (resized).JPG

I also recommend this YouTube video, it’s the only one I found of Radcal installation. I didn’t follow his procedure exactly, but he gives a lot of good pointers. Try to count how many times he says “sorry”!!! Lol

#154 2 years ago

I am extremely pleased with the Radcals. I wish they made them for HS! Installing them probably took me 1/4 of the time it took to install the decals on HS.

I painted the entire cabinet so I didn’t have to worry about it, but I don’t know that I necessarily had to. You could possibly just paint the edges, but I’m not sure if you would be able to see anything through the decal.

I believe that with a little filling and sanding these things could make even a beat up cab look like a superstar! They are expensive, but to me it was totally worth it.

Quite a contrast- old vs. new!

IMG_6312 (resized).JPGIMG_6312 (resized).JPGIMG_6311 (resized).JPGIMG_6311 (resized).JPGIMG_6247 (resized).JPGIMG_6247 (resized).JPGIMG_6336 (resized).JPGIMG_6336 (resized).JPG
#155 2 years ago

I then worked on ground braid. I made some changes, as I wanted to keep all of the ground braid on the right side of the cabinet. Of course I ran out of it and had to order another roll!

IMG_6329 (resized).JPGIMG_6329 (resized).JPGIMG_6386 (resized).JPGIMG_6386 (resized).JPGIMG_6387 (resized).JPGIMG_6387 (resized).JPG
#156 2 years ago

Next was the coin door. I purchased the same style new Suzo-Happ door that I used on HS. This made things fairly simple since I could copy most of the work that I had done on the last one. The old door’s harness would not have worked so I built a new harness for this door.
IMG_6348 (resized).JPGIMG_6348 (resized).JPG
IMG_6383 (resized).JPGIMG_6383 (resized).JPG

I again re-located the volume pot to the door. I also added wiring for flipper button lights
IMG_6395 (resized).JPGIMG_6395 (resized).JPG

Wiring has been cleaned up and molexed. Door is done (menu switches mounted later).
IMG_6404 (resized).JPGIMG_6404 (resized).JPG

#157 2 years ago

Time to start the pf swap! First was tee nuts and hammering in the pop bumper nails.
Tee nuts (resized).JPGTee nuts (resized).JPG

Then ground braid and the GI lamps attached to it.
Ground braid (resized).JPGGround braid (resized).JPG

#158 2 years ago

Next was installation of the wood rails and metal ball guides. Cleaning and re-graining the ball guides was a lot of messy work just like last time. I also started assembling the pop bumpers.

IMG_6455 (resized).JPGIMG_6455 (resized).JPGIMG_6457 (resized).JPGIMG_6457 (resized).JPG
#159 2 years ago

Moving on to the speaker panel. I am again using a set of Flipper Fidelity speakers. My old panel had two issues- it was worn/stained and it was built for one larger speaker and one smaller speaker. I’m not sure why Williams used the smaller speaker, I’m guessing it was just a cost cutting thing.
IMG_5254 (resized).JPGIMG_5254 (resized).JPG

The metal parts on the top and bottom of the panel were removed and sent for powdercoat. I removed the plastic panel from the front and removed the speaker grilles. They were a little beat up and needed to be reconditioned, but I didn’t realize how much work it would be!
IMG_6509 (resized).JPGIMG_6509 (resized).JPG

First, I put one of them on my scanner and made a 1 : 1 copy in order to make a template of the “W” logo. I put this printout on thin cardboard to make it a little more durable. I cut the logo out with an Xacto.
IMG_6515 (resized).JPGIMG_6515 (resized).JPG

I then sanded them down to bare metal and primed them.
IMG_6510 (resized).JPGIMG_6510 (resized).JPGIMG_6512 (resized).JPGIMG_6512 (resized).JPG

I then painted them black and cleared them. Lastly, the template was placed on and the logo was painted. I first tried Krylon's "red pepper" but found it was too dark. Ace Hardware’s “banner red” is a perfect match to the original.

IMG_6513 (resized).JPGIMG_6513 (resized).JPGIMG_6519 (resized).JPGIMG_6519 (resized).JPGIMG_6864 (resized).JPGIMG_6864 (resized).JPG
#160 2 years ago

I re-built the cabinet power box with all new parts. Along the way I did discover that my powdercoated parts did not show continuity with the cabinet ground braid when tested with my multimeter. For those items, I had to scrape away a bit of the powercoat where it touched the ground braid, as you see here.

I also wired up the main power switch. I’m again using the newer style rocker switch as opposed to the toggle switch.

IMG_6524 (resized).JPGIMG_6524 (resized).JPGIMG_6535 (resized).JPGIMG_6535 (resized).JPG
#161 2 years ago

Going over to the pf to install the various metal parts/posts and the star posts. This is where you find out if you took good pictures or not! Since I don’t directly swap them (I run all of them through the ultrasonic and tumbler) I depend on good pics to get me through re-installing them. I take several angles of them installed and then photograph them laying next to a ruler to later verify size.

Also installing shooter lane mylar and cliffy.
IMG_6579 (resized).JPGIMG_6579 (resized).JPGIMG_6574 (resized).JPGIMG_6574 (resized).JPG

Most of the topside posts done.
IMG_6539 (resized).JPGIMG_6539 (resized).JPG

IMG_4902 (resized).JPGIMG_4902 (resized).JPGIMG_4932 (resized).JPGIMG_4932 (resized).JPGIMG_4919 (resized).JPGIMG_4919 (resized).JPG
#162 2 years ago

I thought that this was a good point to do a test fit of the pf in the cab since the pf is still somewhat light. I want to verify the hinge bolts are correct and the hinge plates are installed properly. I didn't have a lockdown bar receiver yet to truly verify everything, but so far it looks good.

IMG_6564 (resized).JPGIMG_6564 (resized).JPG
#163 2 years ago

Larger posts are being installed. I polish them by chucking them up in the drill and spinning them in a sock with Mother’s metal polish.
IMG_6543 (resized).JPGIMG_6543 (resized).JPGIMG_6548 (resized).JPGIMG_6548 (resized).JPG

Rubbers are installed. I again went with Titan. Great product, great service!
IMG_6761 (resized).JPGIMG_6761 (resized).JPG

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

Very nice work, very detailed step by step documentation - many thanks for sharing!
Regarding the original stock speakers, i guess back then the two way speakers were more expensive and as the sound part is not giving out a "real" stereo signal there was no reason to put in two of the same speakers. They just did seperate the mid and the high tones to the two speakers on the panel (with the big bass speaker in the cabinet).

That makes sense, the music and sounds in Sys 11 are pretty basic. Don’t know if you saw this already, but a guy did a partial rewrite for Taxi if Pinsound ever does Sys11B, pretty interesting to hear the updated soundtrack:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-reorchestrated-pinsound#post-6086841

#166 2 years ago

Now I’m starting to install some mechs.

I have to say that I’m very impressed with the Mirco pf. Not to bash CPR, but the dimples on the bottom of the HS CPR pf were basically useless. I spent hours lining up the mechs on HS to get them to function properly. The dimples on the Mirco pf were pretty much all spot on. I was honestly kind of shocked. I would set them up, install one or two screws and check the function. Again and again, the dimples were in the correct spots that allowed perfect function.

I still verified everything before screwing them down, but about 90% were dead on.

IMG_6567 (resized).JPGIMG_6567 (resized).JPG
#167 2 years ago

The next big hurdle is switches. All are being replaced with new, so each switch had already been cut from the harness. I went through the pile that were cut off and ordered what I needed. Taxi uses very few leaf switches compared to HS, so mostly everything is micros.
IMG_6781 (resized).JPGIMG_6781 (resized).JPGIMG_6788 (resized).JPGIMG_6788 (resized).JPGIMG_6792 (resized).JPGIMG_6792 (resized).JPGIMG_6812 (resized).JPGIMG_6812 (resized).JPG

I first had to place a new diode on each one. I then cut the wires from the old switch, stripped and soldered them to the new switch. The other end of the wires were molexed. This should make any troubleshooting a breeze since it will be easy to isolate any switch you need to.

The larger switches are a little more difficult. Like I learned from HS, the switch needs to be taken apart so the correct actuator arm can be installed and the NC tab can be cut flush like OEM.

IMG_7051 (resized).JPGIMG_7051 (resized).JPGIMG_6801 (resized).JPGIMG_6801 (resized).JPGIMG_6802 (resized).JPGIMG_6802 (resized).JPGIMG_7053 (resized).JPGIMG_7053 (resized).JPGIMG_7054 (resized).JPGIMG_7054 (resized).JPG

The pop bumper switches are always the biggest pain of the group. They have multiple wires as well as a capacitor and a resistor.

Old/new:
IMG_6823 (resized).JPGIMG_6823 (resized).JPGIMG_6962 (resized).JPGIMG_6962 (resized).JPG

A batch of new switches are ready for installation. I easily spent 8 hours or more to finish all of them!

IMG_6800 (resized).JPGIMG_6800 (resized).JPG

#168 2 years ago

New pop mechs built:

IMG_6222 (resized).JPGIMG_6222 (resized).JPG

And installed:
IMG_6760 (resized).JPGIMG_6760 (resized).JPG

#169 2 years ago

After long USPS holiday delays, my order from Mantis arrived. I got a new lockdown bar receiver and pf hooks as well as their ramp protector. This protector is for that curve in the departures (left) ramp that is cracked on many Taxi machines. The curve really takes a beating from balls being thrown into the ramp by the Drac catapult.

taxi-ramp-protector (resized).jpgtaxi-ramp-protector (resized).jpg

IMG_7138 (resized).JPGIMG_7138 (resized).JPG
#170 2 years ago

Also received packages with a new spinout ramp and a MRS (magnetic reed switch).

After much back and forth I decided to go with the red ramp. I like the idea of the new blue ramp, but the red one is just the classic look I prefer.

IMG_6858 (resized).JPGIMG_6858 (resized).JPG

To add a little blue, I’m going to try some blue BriteCaps EVO pop bumper lights instead of the original red lights. I’ll see, if I don’t like it I can always easily swap them out with red.

EVO lights (resized).jpgEVO lights (resized).jpg

The MRS is made by @sonic. It replaces the microswitch in the spinout with a reed switch, detecting spins with a magnet instead of the ball hitting the switch lever. It’s plug and play, just stick it to the spinout bowl and plug into the pf switch harness. This helps the ball make maximum spins as it’s not hitting a physical switch. I don’t know if it makes a huge difference, but it’s something that I wanted to incorporate into the new game.

IMG_6859 (resized).JPGIMG_6859 (resized).JPG

#171 2 years ago

New lockdown bar receiver installed and doing another pf test fit.

IMG_6822 (resized).JPGIMG_6822 (resized).JPGIMG_6820 (resized).JPGIMG_6820 (resized).JPG
#172 2 years ago

Getting the bell assembly ready. In case anyone needs it, here is a blowup of the assembly that I found a little more helpful than the one in the manual. The only difference is that Taxi uses the SM-26-600-DC coil:

Bell assembly (resized).pngBell assembly (resized).png

Ready to install:
IMG_6908 (resized).JPGIMG_6908 (resized).JPG

#173 2 years ago

Next is side rails and coin door. Since they are identical to HS side rails, I installed them with the same tape and procedure. Flipper buttons installed.

IMG_6865 (resized).JPGIMG_6865 (resized).JPG

Also installing the cabinet harness. I ran wiring from the coin slot lamps through the coin door harness molex to provide power to 2 lamp sockets I added for flipper button lighting. For now I have color changing flex head leds in there.

I made a slight modification to the position of the tilt bob wiring from original to go under the assembly for a cleaner look.
IMG_3375 (resized).JPGIMG_3375 (resized).JPG

#174 2 years ago

Got her up on legs. After some odds and ends like installing the subwoofer, installing the transformer and connecting the bell assembly, I’ll call the lower cab finished. I put some felt tape along the wood under the lockdown bar to prevent scratches when sliding the glass in/out.

I also tested continuity of all ground braid and metal parts touching to the ground on the main power plug.

IMG_6878 (resized).JPGIMG_6878 (resized).JPG
#175 2 years ago

Got a big PPS shipment so I can finish up the pf mechs. Also received a new speaker panel plastic and both ramps ($280 for new ramps ugggh)

IMG_6890 (resized).JPGIMG_6890 (resized).JPGIMG_7060 (resized).JPGIMG_7060 (resized).JPG

Had to put together another parts order from PBL. I needed one more blue lane divider since I didn’t realize that the first (C) lane has a double stack. I apparently ordered opaque blue from PPS by accident when I should have ordered transparent blue:

IMG_6950 (resized).JPGIMG_6950 (resized).JPG

#176 2 years ago

New decals are installed on the rebuilt drop targets mechs. The originals are much thicker and I tried to save them but couldn’t.

IMG_6914 (resized).JPGIMG_6914 (resized).JPG

When I rebuilt these, I cleaned their opto switch pcb's and replaced the grommets that were dry rotted:

IMG_5562 (resized).JPGIMG_5562 (resized).JPGIMG_5565 (resized).JPGIMG_5565 (resized).JPGIMG_5563 (resized).JPGIMG_5563 (resized).JPGIMG_5566 (resized).JPGIMG_5566 (resized).JPG
#177 2 years ago

All mechs other than the the flipper mechs are installed and now working on switches.

There were a few dimples off here and there, but overall the dimples continued to be pretty much on target.

IMG_6853 (resized).JPGIMG_6853 (resized).JPG
#178 2 years ago

Pop bumper lights are connected. When I cut the pops off of the original pf, I left the leads stapled so I would know exactly where to connect them to the ground braid.
Pop bumper leads (resized).jpgPop bumper leads (resized).jpg

I again added a little solder to the leads to reinforce them. I also again went with the "Cheung method" of attaching the leads under the pf with washers pinning them down instead of staples. They are very secure and I will thank myself later if I have to replace a pop bumper body or skirt.

IMG_7065 (resized).JPGIMG_7065 (resized).JPG

Pop switches installed:
IMG_6963 (resized).JPGIMG_6963 (resized).JPG

Just for reference, this is the approximate gapping of the switches (I later lined up the spoon correctly with the skirt pin):
IMG_6966 (resized).JPGIMG_6966 (resized).JPG

#179 2 years ago

The volume pot on the door is molexed to the cab harness. The flipper button light harness is built and attached.

IMG_6911 (resized).JPGIMG_6911 (resized).JPG

Head is attached to cab. Everything looking good.

IMG_6916 (resized).JPGIMG_6916 (resized).JPGIMG_6917 (resized).JPGIMG_6917 (resized).JPG
#180 2 years ago

Before installing the backbox lightboard/door I wanted to get the speaker panel installed so I can see the fit of the backglass. This is needed to correctly set the depth and height of the lightboard. That being said, time to build out the speaker panel.

IMG_6997 (resized).JPGIMG_6997 (resized).JPG

As mentioned earlier, I ordered a new repro speaker panel plastic. I was really on the fence with this. The old plastic was in fairly good shape and I spent a good bit of time cleaning (30+ years of tobacco stains) and then polishing it with novus using a drill polishing pad. It looked nice, but just didn’t have that “shiny new” look that I wanted. Being such a visible place on the machine, I made the decision to go with new. In the end I’m glad that I did, it looks great.

Speaker panel is assembled with speakers and XPin led display.

IMG_7002 (resized).JPGIMG_7002 (resized).JPG
#181 2 years ago

Backbox door can now be installed. I paid particular attention to getting the height right to line up the traffic light baffle on the board with the traffic light on the backglass.

Backbox door (resized).jpgBackbox door (resized).jpg

The Flipper Fidelity speakers come with their own volume adjustment pot. I like the ability to really customize the sound output. The downside is that I have to find a place to mount the knob. It’s a set-it-and-forget-it thing so I want it accessible, but out of the way. I found this location behind the door to be a good fit.

IMG_7018 (resized).JPGIMG_7018 (resized).JPG
#182 2 years ago

CPR had a Black Friday sale so I had purchased their mirrored backglass. As mentioned earlier, I liked my original backglass, but I noticed that it had what appeared to be moisture behind it. It also was cut out to require the mirror block on the backbox door that I had eliminated.

IMG_6452 (resized).JPGIMG_6452 (resized).JPG

I took one of the side trim pieces off of my original backglass and discovered a small piece of black tape under it. Curious as to why it would be there, I took the top trim off. It also had a small piece of tape underneath. I then realized that what I thought was a screened backglass was actually just a translite! Oh well, it was just going to be wall art anyway.

IMG_7036 (resized).JPGIMG_7036 (resized).JPG

With the installation of the backglass, I can finally call the cabinet complete and it is a beauty!
IMG_7521 (resized).jpgIMG_7521 (resized).jpgIMG_7035 (resized).JPGIMG_7035 (resized).JPGIMG_7029 (resized).JPGIMG_7029 (resized).JPG

#183 2 years ago

Wanted to wrap up all painting. It was winter, so even in Atlanta it’s hard to find a day warm enough to paint. Last is the apron and shooter lane cover. I primed, sanded, painted and cleared them.

IMG_6981 (resized).JPGIMG_6981 (resized).JPGIMG_6978 (resized).JPGIMG_6978 (resized).JPG

I then decaled them:

IMG_6979 (resized).JPGIMG_6979 (resized).JPGIMG_6986 (resized).JPGIMG_6986 (resized).JPG
#185 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Where did you find the decals?

I got them from PPS. I just checked and they're not on the website anymore. Ministry of Pinball has the same set, but shipping is probably expensive.

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/system-11-b-apron-decal-set.html

It looks like someone is also selling them on Ebay, but they may be bootleg:

ebay.com link: itm

#186 2 years ago

Finishing some final items before wiring harnesses. Remaining switches and mechs are installed, and all lamps are being soldered to the ground braid. Also installed the large lamp PCB in the center.

IMG_7040 (resized).JPGIMG_7040 (resized).JPG

Another nice feature of my Costco rotisserie is that I can drop it down on one side to simulate the slope of the pf in the cab. I can roll a ball through the return lanes which helps to determine optimal placement of the flipper mechs.

IMG_6954 (resized).JPGIMG_6954 (resized).JPG

IMG_7039 (resized).JPGIMG_7039 (resized).JPG
#187 2 years ago

Now for the wiring harnesses.

First step is to get them laid out and oriented, starting with the controlled lamp and solenoid harnesses. The “memory” of the harnesses again comes in handy as once they are laid out, they tend to show you where they go. Having everything labeled also makes life much easier. I can also always look at the original pf for reference.

Solenoids are connected.

IMG_7070 (resized).JPGIMG_7070 (resized).JPG

Then switch harness. Again, pretty fast and simple since everything is molexed.

IMG_7071 (resized).JPGIMG_7071 (resized).JPG

Lastly, wire holders are installed and some zip ties added.

IMG_7074 (resized).JPGIMG_7074 (resized).JPG

#188 2 years ago

That pretty much concludes the underside. There are still a few things I need to install at the top of the pf, but they are currently covered by the rotisserie bracket and will have to be installed when the pf is removed.

IMG_7132 (resized).JPGIMG_7132 (resized).JPG
#189 2 years ago

Every bulb in the game hits my lamp checker before it’s installed. I’ll later know that if I run into a non-working lamp issue, it’s most likely not the bulb.

You don’t have to twist the bulb in, just touch it to the checker and it lights. It can also quickly test fuses. I love this thing!

81FAC3CC-33F5-4DB6-8700-5CB79C893A3D (resized).jpeg81FAC3CC-33F5-4DB6-8700-5CB79C893A3D (resized).jpeg709A55BA-F977-44E1-B752-BF9721820C52 (resized).jpeg709A55BA-F977-44E1-B752-BF9721820C52 (resized).jpegC17FC66F-EECC-4FB5-87B4-C58605DC299C (resized).jpegC17FC66F-EECC-4FB5-87B4-C58605DC299C (resized).jpeg
#190 2 years ago

Back up top to install ramps and plastics.

While test fitting, the Arrivals ramp fits fine, but there’s an issue with the Departures ramp. It doesn’t sit flush in the cutout and the ramp flap sticks up above the pf.

IMG_7077 (resized).JPGIMG_7077 (resized).JPGIMG_7079 (resized).JPGIMG_7079 (resized).JPG

I did some research on the issue, and found that it is an issue with the new repro ramps. The issue is caused by the washers under the ramp that hold the flap rivets.

IMG_7078 (resized).JPGIMG_7078 (resized).JPG

Some people suggested filing down the front of the ramp, but I didn’t like that idea.

HEP's Taxi thread to the rescue! He had the same problem and instead of filing the ramp, he drilled two holes near the cutout for the washers to sit down in. I liked that idea much better and used a forstner bit to accomplish it.

IMG_7101 (resized).JPGIMG_7101 (resized).JPG

#191 2 years ago

With the ramps fitted, plastics and ball gates need to be installed.

The plastic above Pinbot is interesting. I've seen some versions with seven red posts (like my original) and some with only the far left post.

IMG_7109 (resized).JPGIMG_7109 (resized).JPG

The CPR repro plastic does not have holes drilled for the posts. I like the posts, so I had to drill the plastic.

IMG_7110 (resized).JPGIMG_7110 (resized).JPG

I remove the posts from the original and tape it to the repro, then drill the holes.

IMG_7111 (resized).JPGIMG_7111 (resized).JPGIMG_7113 (resized).JPGIMG_7113 (resized).JPGIMG_7114 (resized).JPGIMG_7114 (resized).JPG

Rebuilt.
IMG_7117 (resized).JPGIMG_7117 (resized).JPG

What happened to this guy? Lol

IMG_7119 (resized).JPGIMG_7119 (resized).JPG
#192 2 years ago

Building the new spinout w/MRS.

IMG_7103 (resized).JPGIMG_7103 (resized).JPGIMG_7104 (resized).JPGIMG_7104 (resized).JPG
#193 2 years ago

Why I use leds:

IMG_7121 (resized).JPGIMG_7121 (resized).JPG
#194 2 years ago

The complete plastic set:

IMG_7102 (resized).JPGIMG_7102 (resized).JPG

Installing more:
IMG_7129 (resized).JPGIMG_7129 (resized).JPGIMG_7123 (resized).JPGIMG_7123 (resized).JPGIMG_7124 (resized).JPGIMG_7124 (resized).JPG

#195 2 years ago

Installing ramps:

IMG_7134 (resized).JPGIMG_7134 (resized).JPGIMG_7136 (resized).JPGIMG_7136 (resized).JPG

Looking at the switches on the old ramps, it's kind of amazing that they worked at all:

IMG_7044 (resized).JPGIMG_7044 (resized).JPG
#196 2 years ago

Wireforms and final plastics installed:
IMG_7141 (resized).JPGIMG_7141 (resized).JPGIMG_7143 (resized).JPGIMG_7143 (resized).JPG

And the spinout:
IMG_7148 (resized).JPGIMG_7148 (resized).JPG

That completes the top side!!

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That is very cool! Did you make it or buy it?

Bought it on ebay:

ebay.com link: itm

#201 2 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

Why did you only install 6 of them and not the full 7?
[quoted image]

That's hilarious! I have no idea how I missed that, that's the great thing about having more eyes put on your work. I'll pull that plastic during my next cleaning/maintenance and add the 6th post. Thanks!

#202 2 years ago

Another tedious, yet very important part of my pf swap process is electronics QC. With a laptop to display pics nearby, I go through each and every connection and lamp. The things I look at include:

- correct color wires are connected to the proper terminal and that the connection is solid
- bad solder jobs or solder blobs
- switch/lamp terminals near anything that could cause a short
- diode orientation
- Molex connectors

Once I verify each connection, I cut the label from the connection and check it off the list.

At the end I was really pleased. The only thing I found was a switch molex connector with a crimp that I didn’t like. It was re-pinned. Other than that, everything looked good.

That’s a lot of checks!

IMG_7195 (resized).JPGIMG_7195 (resized).JPG
#203 2 years ago

The pf is ready to come off of the rotisserie. I place it against the wall to add the final parts that I couldn’t install because of the rotisserie brackets. (ball gate molex was connected after pics taken)

Playfield swap is finished!

IMG_7168 (resized).JPGIMG_7168 (resized).JPGIMG_7169 (resized).JPGIMG_7169 (resized).JPG

#204 2 years ago

Another big moment, putting the finished pf into the cab!! My HF lift cart makes this a much easier task by lowering the cab.

IMG_7187 (resized).JPGIMG_7187 (resized).JPG

Legs back on and done!

IMG_7189 (resized).JPGIMG_7189 (resized).JPG

Overall everything looks good. No clearance issues.

IMG_7194 (resized).JPGIMG_7194 (resized).JPG

#205 2 years ago

Now for an issue I was dreading... the infamous Taxi shooter lane. This is a critical part of the game and has to work perfectly.

After adjusting the shooter rod housing, the tip is perfectly centered hitting the ball. I shoot the first ball on this game and get a clunking mess that only yields around 4 revolutions in the spinout bowl. Ugggh, not what I wanted to see!

There are 2 important transitions- the beginning of the shooter lane to the wireform and the wireform to the entry lane of the spinout.

I found that the best tool for getting these transitions correctly lined up was the Slo-mo video feature on my phone. I filmed shooter lane shots over and over, looking for any places where the ball was losing momentum.

First transition looked good. Entry to the wireform is sitting correctly in the grooves, just slightly above playfield level. Ball is going straight into the wireform without hitting the sides.

IMG_7289 (resized).JPGIMG_7289 (resized).JPG

Moving to the other end of the wireform I saw that as the ball exited the wireform, it was just catching the left side of the entry lane to the spinout bowl, bouncing the ball off the walls of the entry lane and slowing it down. As you can see here, it's a little off to the left:

IMG_7275 (resized).JPGIMG_7275 (resized).JPG

I adjusted the wireform to get a straight shot directly to the spinout bowl.

IMG_7288 (resized).JPGIMG_7288 (resized).JPG

#206 2 years ago

Fixing that got me up to 7-8 revolutions, enough to get up to 100k, but still not where I wanted to be.

I then remembered from the Taxi club thread that new barrel springs on the shooter rod tend to be too large and reduce the force of the tip hitting the ball. I swapped it out with a new shorter one and it did help slightly- I got up to 9-10 revolutions, but still not enough to make it a true skill shot.

IMG_7278 (resized).JPGIMG_7278 (resized).JPG

I then saw this thread from years ago by @blackbeard. In it he eliminated the barrel spring completely, replacing it with a rubber ring. I was curious to see the effect it would have.

The effect actually made me laugh! The ball did an insane amount of revolutions around the bowl, probably somewhere around 30!! Now we’re getting somewhere!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-spinout-issues-remedy

#207 2 years ago

Unfortunately I couldn’t use this solution as it takes away the factory look of the machine. It was very important information though, because it showed me that the real problem was the barrel spring killing the shooter rod’s momentum.

I cut the original spring down and re-installed it. Now I’m exactly where I want to be, generally getting about 15 or so rotations on a full plunge. This forces you to adjust your plunge to target the 2 best spinout bonuses- 100k or 25k plus passenger, making this a real skill shot. Mission accomplished!!

IMG_7304 (resized).JPGIMG_7304 (resized).JPG
#208 2 years ago

Also installed new Mantis playfield hooks.

IMG_7260 (resized).JPGIMG_7260 (resized).JPG
#209 2 years ago

Time for the first power up, always a scary moment. The MPU was still out so I ran the test with only the power board and the aux board. The switch was flipped and the boards powered on without issue. I then got to see the beauty of the GI turning on for the first time!

IMG_7298 (resized).JPGIMG_7298 (resized).JPGIMG_7296 (resized).JPGIMG_7296 (resized).JPGIMG_7297 (resized).JPGIMG_7297 (resized).JPGIMG_7301 (resized).JPGIMG_7301 (resized).JPG
#210 2 years ago

While planning to build stadium lighting, I looked over the mounting locations and realized that there would probably be issues with the spinout ramp, the limo plastic and the blue plastic over the catapult wireform. I searched for info on this and discovered from the PinStadium thread (thanks to Southerntwang71 for posting his installation notes and pics!) that the plastics do interfere with stadium lighting.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/122#post-5614452

Taxi is a somewhat dark game, so I was ok with the adjustments. It's also easily reversible to original.

Here I'm getting the parts together to build them. The left rail is standard size and the right rail is cut shorter to fit with the spinout ramp.

IMG_7310 (resized).JPGIMG_7310 (resized).JPG
#211 2 years ago

After test fitting the stadium lighting rails, I found that I could still use the limo plastic, I just had to adjust the angle.

IMG_7569 (resized).jpgIMG_7569 (resized).jpg

An interesting quirk on Taxi builds is that the shooter lane wireform was slightly changed. Some machines have the Taxi limo plastic attached basically flat on top of the wireform. One riveted bracket attaches to a spinout support post and the other bracket is screwed to a woodrail, as seen here on my original pf:

IMG_4883 (resized).JPGIMG_4883 (resized).JPGIMG_4882 (resized).JPGIMG_4882 (resized).JPG

They later welded two support brackets to the wireform and screwed or riveted the limo plastic into place, as seen here:

Limo plastic (resized).jpgLimo plastic (resized).jpg

I’m guessing that this was a time saving measure or maybe they thought it looked better?

#212 2 years ago

The blue plastic, however, would have caused a problem with the stadium lighting rail. I didn’t want the space to be empty, so I came up with a custom plastic. This custom plastic also allowed me to add a personal touch to the game.

I have a relative that was a taxi driver for years. When he heard that I was restoring this game, he asked if there was a way that I could somehow incorporate his cab number somewhere in the game. I designed a simple black plastic to accomplish this. Of course I'll always keep the OEM plastic so it can be reverted to original.

IMG_7577 (resized).jpgIMG_7577 (resized).jpg
#213 2 years ago

Finishing the apron. I found this apron card set on @Inkochnito’s site and think they perfectly complement the apron. I had the FedEx store print them out on glossy stock card and then laminated them with these Scotch lamination pouches.

Also made a donation to @Inkochnito’s site, thanks for what you do!

IMG_7228 (resized).JPGIMG_7228 (resized).JPGIMG_7229 (resized).JPGIMG_7229 (resized).JPG

Apron and stadium lighting being installed.
IMG_7330 (resized).JPGIMG_7330 (resized).JPG

#214 2 years ago

The boards are back from @chrishibler’s shop. He did an excellent job with them, and as an added bonus made a YT video of the work he did!

The boards are installed and all molexes are connected.

IMG_7411 (resized).jpgIMG_7411 (resized).jpg
#215 2 years ago

Leftovers. I keep all of this in a box in the attic in case I need something on a future machine.

IMG_7203 (resized).JPGIMG_7203 (resized).JPGIMG_7207 (resized).JPGIMG_7207 (resized).JPGIMG_7201 (resized).JPGIMG_7201 (resized).JPG
#216 2 years ago

It’s time for the super stressful first full power up. You just pray that you got it all right and flip the switch. I keep the backbox open to watch the fuses.

I saw “Taxi” come up on the display and heard the wonderful “bong” sound of the game booting up! Fuses are good and the trough kicked looking for a ball.

IMG_7413 (resized).jpgIMG_7413 (resized).jpg

I spent the next hour or two running through the diagnostic menus doing an assessment of everything. Overall, extremely pleased. All coils good, two controlled lamps out and left kicker switch stuck closed. All were easy fixes- switch just needed adjustment and the lamps were just not twisted in correctly.

Pressed the start button, a balled kicked out and Marilyn says “Ooh Taxi!” So far so good!
IMG_7615 (resized).JPGIMG_7615 (resized).JPG

#217 2 years ago

Played a few test games and made notes of issues I found.

First was the Gorbie shot. For some reason, the controlled ball gate was not allowing the ball to enter.

IMG_7588 (resized).JPGIMG_7588 (resized).JPGIMG_7631 (resized).JPGIMG_7631 (resized).JPG

The ball gate is supposed to stay shut most of the time so when the ball is kicked out from under the spinout it’s blocked from going into the Gorbie/Jackpot hole. I found that the switch that controls it is the wire gate to the right of the CAB lanes. When the ball hits that gate switch, it's supposed to open the ball gate for a period of time, allowing you to make the Gorbie/Jackpot shot.

IMG_7629 (resized).JPGIMG_7629 (resized).JPG

Coil test was good, but when I looked closer, I noticed that the ball gate was not being lifted high enough to allow the ball to enter. As you see, there's a spring on the left side of the gate that is pulled by the coil to open the gate. I used the correct spring (10-194), but it was slightly too long. I cut the spring about a 1/4” and reconnected it. Good to go!

#218 2 years ago

Another annoying problem was crazy airballs from the Santa/Gorbie/Jackpot hole kickout when the ball strikes the rubber ring on the back of the Marilyn target bank.

Solution: The kickout was sending the ball to the correct spot. The issue was the Titan rubber ring is too springy for this location. Of course, this ring is one of the worst in the game to get to because it involves taking the plastic off and then both wireform ramps to get to it. I switched it to a generic 2-1/2” rubber ring and that fixed it. I love Titan bands, but they caused a problem in this spot.

IMG_7592 (resized).JPGIMG_7592 (resized).JPG
#219 2 years ago

With that, Taxi is finished! Here are the final product pics:

IMG_7645 (resized).jpgIMG_7645 (resized).jpgIMG_7641 (resized).jpgIMG_7641 (resized).jpgIMG_7642 (resized).jpgIMG_7642 (resized).jpgIMG_7352 (resized).JPGIMG_7352 (resized).JPGIMG_7590 (resized).JPGIMG_7590 (resized).JPGIMG_7353 (resized).JPGIMG_7353 (resized).JPGIMG_7355 (resized).JPGIMG_7355 (resized).JPGIMG_7357 (resized).JPGIMG_7357 (resized).JPGIMG_7643 (resized).jpgIMG_7643 (resized).jpgIMG_7607 (resized).JPGIMG_7607 (resized).JPGIMG_7595 (resized).JPGIMG_7595 (resized).JPGIMG_7621 (resized).JPGIMG_7621 (resized).JPGIMG_7622 (resized).JPGIMG_7622 (resized).JPGIMG_7624 (resized).JPGIMG_7624 (resized).JPGIMG_7634 (resized).JPGIMG_7634 (resized).JPGIMG_7362 (resized).JPGIMG_7362 (resized).JPG
#220 2 years ago

Here is a list of vendors I highly recommend that were used in these rebuilds:

Pinball parts-
Pinball Life
The Pinball Resource
Marco’s Pinball
PinRestore
Comet Pinball
Titan Pinball
Flipper Fidelity
X-pin

Playfields/decals-
Mirco Playfields
CPR Playfields
RetroRefurb decals

Boards/board work-
PinballPCB
Chris Hibler

Electronic parts-
Great Plains Electronics
DigiKey
Mouser

#221 2 years ago

The most satisfying part of this whole experience is just looking at two like-new pins from the 1980’s in my gameroom. It feels good knowing they aren’t something that I could go buy from a distributor. I’ll definitely always remember the amount of work that went into them.

In closing, I want to sincerely thank all of the Pinside people mentioned that helped me along the way to complete these projects. Your help was invaluable!

So that’s a wrap! Thanks for following along and I hope you enjoyed the thread. Here are the two 80’s brothers back together!

IMG_7367 (resized).JPGIMG_7367 (resized).JPG
#223 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Those are 2 Nice pins!!! Great Job

Thanks man, much appreciated!

1 month later
#225 2 years ago

Thanks man, I appreciate that!

Your HS thread from years ago is what gave me my first glimpse into what all was involved with a pf swap. There were a ton of valuable tips in there I still use.

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

Which gloss level is that black powder coat? Bellagio

Not sure of the level, I just requested gloss black. The job was done by Steve at Pinball Refinery (@hemiorange09). I was very pleased with his service.

1 month later
#230 2 years ago

So I found out that I what I said in post #207 was not the best option. I had cut down the shooter rod barrel spring to get more power when plunging the ball:

D42339BF-81A6-4BEE-BC61-EA81B5F3701D (resized).jpegD42339BF-81A6-4BEE-BC61-EA81B5F3701D (resized).jpeg

It worked fine, but eventually led to this:

8933A009-9A61-499E-BC85-8104C4440B8E (resized).jpeg8933A009-9A61-499E-BC85-8104C4440B8E (resized).jpeg

There was just too much force on the shooter rod. It also bothered me that I had to modify it from original to make it work. I decided to really spend some time and get to the bottom of the issue.

I bought a new shooter rod and a new barrel spring. After hours of working with it, I found that the problem was a slightly (and I mean slightly) misaligned wireform. After watching slow-mo videos, I could see that the ball was bouncing off the walls of the spinout ramp as it approached the bowl. Giving the shooter rod more power with the shorter spring cancelled out most of the loss of power from the bouncing.

I loosened the two screws at the transition between the wireform and the spinout ramp. I moved them and lined them up until video showed the ball going directly to the bowl without hitting the walls.

Now I’m averaging about 20 spins on a full plunge with a factory spring!

B9A2BC89-A644-4B75-8D0B-8D535254C9D7 (resized).jpegB9A2BC89-A644-4B75-8D0B-8D535254C9D7 (resized).jpeg

#232 2 years ago

Glad to hear it! For me it was definitely the most frustrating part on Taxi to dial in, but once I got it right, it’s my favorite skill shot of any game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 109.00
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bellagio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-amp-taxi-80s-brothers-rebuilt?tu=bellagio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.