• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210925_180944 (resized).jpg
20210925_180954 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I recently bought my first pin, 1986 High Speed. I've been playing it for about a week. A few times it factory reset when I would turn it on for the first time of the day and once or twice the game froze. Today the game froze while my daughter was playing. I thought maybe the batteries were going and that I should replace them anyways since I don't know how long they've been in there. Put in new batteries and now it won't start a game. Attract mode comes on. I can add credits, but no game will start. Any help much appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

Any battery damage ?

Scroll through the adjustments a few times. Hold the button down ) Then when it goes to attract mode, see if it works then.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Sounds like classic trough switch issue - game will never start unless it “sees” all three balls.

And yes acid damage can cause this too.

I would
Carefully inspect battery holder area for green stuff, and do a trough switch test/visually inspect all switches and check for loose
Wires
Or
Diodes.

#4 2 years ago

Games freezing, power cycling, acting goofy ? I would start at the backbox before i go for the start button. Take a look at your chips, see if they're burning up. I doubt highspeed as an asic chip but if it does, push it back in the socket.

Now go take a plastic pen cap and go and push in any wires sticking out of the connectors, and reseat and press down connectors.

Once you've done all that and no dice ... go buy a nice digital multimeter and learn how to use it. Like stated above it could be the switch and or diode. With your game in idle, pressing the start button with no credits should take you to a credit screen btw.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from JadedHesher:

I would start at the backbox before i go for the start button. Take a look at your chips, see if they're burning up. I doubt highspeed as an asic chip but if it does, push it back in the socket.

Now go take a plastic pen cap and go and push in any wires sticking out of the connectors, and reseat and press down connectors.

Don't go fooling around with your wires and connectors first thing. Follow LTG & CrazyLevi 's advice, move on from there if needed.

#6 2 years ago

So it was a trough issue. I looked down in the drain and there were two balls hanging out there. I pushed them over towards the ball launcher and it will start a game now but doesn't kick out a ball. Should I have left one of those balls down there? Incidentally the boards look good, no acid damage, and I do have a basic understanding of electronics, a multimeter, etc.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Lizard_Wizard:

doesn't kick out a ball.

Pull and check it's fuse with a meter.

#8 2 years ago

OK. Can you tell me where in this mess I find the fuse?

20210925_180944 (resized).jpg20210925_180944 (resized).jpg20210925_180954 (resized).jpg20210925_180954 (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago

OK. Can you tell me where in this mess I find the fuse?

In the back box on a board. A manual can help you. https://www.ipdb.org/files/1176/Williams_1986_High_Speed_Instruction_Manual.pdf

#10 2 years ago

Not easy to find in the manual. Power wiring diagram on page 47 and Interboard Signals diagrams on page 50 (upper right board) have them listed.

Much easier to use the tech chart over at pinballrebel.com - http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Williams_High_Speed_Tech_Chart.pdf

#11 2 years ago

It was hard to find in the manual lol. Pulled fuse F2 which controls solenoids 1-16. Shooter lane is solenoid number 2. Sure enough that fuse is blown. Ordering replacement now. Thanks fam.

#13 2 years ago

So it was a trough issue. I looked down in the drain and there were two balls hanging out there. I pushed them over towards the ball launcher and it will start a game now but doesn't kick out a ball. Should I have left one of those balls down there? Incidentally the boards look good, no acid damage, and I do have a basic understanding of electronics, a multimeter, etc.

Are there three balls in your game or two? You should have three in there.

#14 2 years ago

Don’t be surprised if the fuse blows, which means you have a short or a cooked coil somewhere. May as well look around under the playfield for a coil that looks burned or melted or fused up somehow.

Fuses sometimes “just” blow but there’s often a reason that has to be addressed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-1986-won-t-start-game?hl=jadedhesher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.