• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Larry212
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi all,

Im back at my High Speed game after a few years. I have a problem with the pop bumpers and slings. They are not activating during play. Heres the thing, They work during the dianogistic test but dont during the switch edge test. So I know everthing works but none of them come up as being touched on a switch edge test. Can somone help out here. Thanks in advance.

Larry

#2 10 years ago

Switches need cleaning, Adjusting ? broken wire from them to the board ?

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for your reply. So if none of them are working on the touch test are they wired in series? So the power to switches must take another path when in diagnostic mode because they fire off. Thanks .

Larry

#4 10 years ago

pop bumper and slings have coils and switches. their wiring is separate. coils are wired to the cpu and the switches are wired to the cpu seperately.

during gameplay, the cpu monitors the sling and pop switches - and if detects a switch is closed, it fires the coil.

during diagnostics you can have the cpu fire the coil. that tests the cpu to the coil. this is coil test.

you can also monitor the cpu to see if the switches get recognized when closed. this is switch test.

you need to find out why the cpu does not see you trigger the switches in switch test. as mentioned above, check the wiring from the switches to the cpu.

read the switch test section of the high speed manual.

#5 10 years ago

Test all your switches in the switch matrix. Are some of them "On" but aren't supposed to be? Could have a shorted diode or some other short or broken wire in your switch matrix. The pop bumpers are all wired to the same column, along with Ball Shooter, some EOSes and the Hideouts. The slings I THINK are on a different matrix.

Verify at switch matrix, if it's not what I mention above, start at individual switches and work your way towards to board. (i.e. cleaning/connectivity)

-Wes

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

pop bumper and slings have coils and switches. their wiring is separate. coils are wired to the cpu and the switches are wired to the cpu seperately.
during gameplay, the cpu monitors the sling and pop switches - and if detects a switch is closed, it fires the coil.

Somewhat False for sys 11 slings and pops. These coils are part of the special solenoids that are directly driven by their trigger switches. The activation of the playfield switch does not tell the CPU to fire them, the transistor is closed directly by the switch closure to prevent a delay due to processing the instructions in the CPU. The switch test will only register the scoring switch and not the activation switch if I recall correctly.

Now that said, these coils can also be called by the CPU in test mode, but this is not how they are driven in game. I need to pull schematics to get back into sys 11 mode, but If the coils fire in coil test, it isn't a voltage or coil problem. You likely have broken or dirty triggering switches, or breaks in the wiring or voltage supply to the activation switches, or completely mis adjusted switches entirely.

#7 10 years ago

Thank you all for the info. I will start checking the switches today. Any further info would be great.. I will post later after getting under the hood and checking all switches ..

Larry

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for your help on the tech form. I went through and looked for broken wiring on the switches. All looked good. I manually pushed each switch and looked for contact, looks good. I fired up the game and just played it for 15 mins. At one point the switches worked for about 5 mins then not again. I guess what I dont know is if one switch doesnt work does it take them all out or are they wired in parallel. Because its all or nothing here. I did put a new referb board in last year to rule that out.

Larry

#9 10 years ago

Ok I dug up the schematics. The fact that they either all do or don't work, (I'm assuming they always work in coil test?) and are seemingly intermittent would lead me to check headers and plugs on the special solenoid switches, specifically connector j18 at the top of the right hand side of the board. I would suspect that you might be able to enable and disable the special solenoids by wiggling or pressing on this connector. The first step I would take would be to reflow the solder on the header pins and redo the plug if the parts are handy.

I don't think the problem lies in the 7402 chips as the CPU drives these as well and that seems to work in coil test so it's upstream from that.

The other source of issue would be if the special solenoid switches weren't getting the voltage they require. Take a multimeter and check to make sure there is voltage at the switch. I'm not 100% sure where the signal voltage is supplied from for the special solenoids but it's not thru the switch matrix, but I assume it would be daisy chained so a bad connection or break in that could render the switches inoperable. I'll take a look in my machine tonight. Will be easier than deciphering schematics on my iphone.

#10 10 years ago

Thank you much for helping here. I will start looking at the j18 connector and test voltage at the switches. This problem is very furstrating, thanks for hanging in there with me.

Larry

#11 10 years ago

There is a "white" wire daisy-chained along all of the special switches. I believe it comes from the top connector of the power supply. Check schematics to be sure. I just fixed a high speed with an inoperable top pop bumper, it ended up being U50 as the culprit. There is an extra trace on the back side for the computer signal to fire the coils in test.

Switch wise, the white wire is linked from switch to switch, so I'd start there

#12 10 years ago

I see the the white wire goes from switch to switch. Do you know if that is power supplied to each switch or the common back. thanks for the post..

Larry

#13 10 years ago

OK. The white common wires that go from Special switch to special switch all rang out OK via continuity under the hood. Followed that back to the power supply (recommended by emperor above). When checked continuity from that point to each switch sometimes had it sometimes not. Removed and reconnected at power supply board and rang our the wires again to each switch and there it was a strong signal
Fired up the machine and all bumpers work as well as slings. So there it is. I want to thank everone for pointing me in the right direction hanging in there and helping me... Thanks Much..

Larry....

#14 10 years ago

Glad it worked for you. But... You probably will want to remove the power supply and reflow those header pins if cracked or check for heat or corrosion on the pins themselves. Reseating the connector and it fixes it just tells you there is a problem with that connector. Don't forget to replace both male pins AND female connector if there is any noticible damage

#15 10 years ago

Will do emperor. Tks. Again.

Larry

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.