(Topic ID: 20997)

High score rankings/charts (Robin?)

By pinballslave

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

July_12_after_small_extension.jpg
    Photographer.gif
    #1 11 years ago

Dear esteemed Pinside staff (Robin!), I think it would be very nice if, along with the % of the highest score being visible in our high score list, we could also see where we rank... OK, if you have a score at 100%, then you know you're number 1 for that machine, but if your score is any other percentage, you have no idea how many people are above you... You can work out the highest score of course (your score x 100/your percent)... but I'd be interested to know if at 79% I'm number 2 or number 200 in the ranking...

It would also be very nice to be able to see the top 10 players of that game in order of how they rank... you can then click on any player and instantly see how they have the game set up... to give yourself an idea of how good you are compared to others... i.e. if you're 90% of the high score for a game, and you're 2nd place, and you have your game set to 3 ball, factory settings, moderate outlanes and tilt, and you see the highest score is by someone with conservative outlanes and no tilt... then at least you can get the feeling that you don't suck

Thoughts anyone?

Edit: oh yeah, and I'd also like to see a chart for players... the chart would be based on how many games the player has the highest scores on, and in the event of a tie, the 'better' player would have a larger % gap between himself and the 2nd highest player... We could have a 'top 100 players' list

#2 11 years ago

that chart is an encouragement for pinsiders to put their scores. i like it.
    and there should be an encouragement to upload a pic when you register a score also.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

that chart is an encouragement for pinsiders to put their scores. i like it.
    and there should be an encouragement to upload a pic when you register a score also.

I agree on both counts... I always take a photo now just to put on pinside if I get a personal best

One thing this system is open to is abuse from cheaters, trolls etc... the whole 'charts' could be messed up by them, but hopefully it will be easy to spot these 'abusers'...

I've been giving some thought to how points could be calculated... As you can imagine, being number 1 just because your score is 10 points behind number 2 for any game should reward the player less than being 10mil ahead of the 2nd highest score, and players should get points for being 2nd, 3rd and 4th too... so here's my suggested calculation of points:

For each game that a player is in one of the top 4 positions, the player gets for that game:

No1 gets 100 points x (his score- 2nd score)/ his score (basically a percent of 100 based on the percent gap to the next highest scorer).
    No2 gets 75 points x (his score - 3rd score)/his score.
    No3 gets 50 points x (his score - 4th score)/his score.
    No4 gets 25 points x (his score - 5th score)/his score.

If there is no lower player to allow any specific calculation, then the points should be (I suggest) half of the points (i.e. of only 3 people have registered a high score for one game, then the 3rd place should get 50/2 = 25 points. You could argue that this should be less, because a very bad player registering a score for a game that no-one else has a score registered on should not get 50 points... so maybe instead of half, it should be 25%...?

The points for each game the player has a top 4 location in are then added together to give that players total score... which is then charted with all other Pinside players...

This also encourages players to play a wider variety of games to get more points

Of course, everying can then be multiplied by 10 million to make it more 'pinball'

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Of course, everying can then be multiplied by 10 million to make it more 'pinball'

LOL

i agree with everything. and the points based on the percent gap to the next highest scorer sounds very nice.
    i think it shouldnt be only top 4 positions, but 10. in that way the chart gets bigger and peeps have more chances to be on it?
    of course there are no prizes, but the existance of a chart and a more detailed scoring system is very fun and rewarding..

pslave you have 22 billion on RS... i just bought mine and now i am coming for that score muhahahahahah
    in the meantime you can try to beat my congo score heheheheheheh

#5 11 years ago

I saw that and was impressed. I know what a great game I had posting 3.4 billion!

Quoted from hassanchop:you can try to beat my congo score

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

pslave you have 22 billion on RS... i just bought mine and now i am coming for that score muhahahahahah

It's a long slog I can tell you... Collect the souvaneers (every time you plunge the ball, go for the skill shot to get one!) and go for the bonus multipliers when you have a lot... a massive chunk of that score was from bonus alone!!

Quoted from hassanchop:

in the meantime you can try to beat my congo score [] heheheheheheh

I'd gladly rise to the challange, but my Congo is now folded away... can only have a couple of games set up at once

#7 11 years ago

By the way:

Quoted from hassanchop:

i think it shouldnt be only top 4 positions, but 10. in that way the chart gets bigger and peeps have more chances to be on it?

Agreed, so 1 would be 100, 2:90, 3:80 etc... all multiplied by the percent to next highest scorer of course...

Quoted from hassanchop:

of course there are no prizes, but the existance of a chart and a more detailed scoring system is very fun and rewarding..

Also agreed.

The points wouldn't go to any 'world ranking' of course since nothing can be validated like in tournaments, but it would be fun and encourage players to try harder knowing that their efforts will affect others around the world... i.e. if I see someone beat me at a game I have set up, I'll tend to play that game to try and claw back some respect... and even if I don't beat his score, if I get just a bit closer, this will reduce the highest scorers points, and increase mine... Just tweaking your score up a bit but not changing position for any specific game could justifiably move you up a notch in the charts... It would be another dimension to an already excellent site!

#8 11 years ago

i would love to see Robin's comments
    i dont know much about site managing stuff, but maybe the ideas here are way to hard to program?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

i dont know much about site managing stuff, but maybe the ideas here are way to hard to program?

I don't think these relatively simple calculations will push the boat out...

I did paste the link to this topic in another topic where Robin commented on updating the Pinside High-score section... maybe he took a look here and was paralised by the complexity of the proposed method of calculating someones score

Come on Robin, spill the beans... what's your plan? And can we change it to the above?

We've got at least two people who are in agreement here!! Anyone else agree with the above suggestion on how to calculate a players score for charts? Or anyone disagree and have another suggestion? Or anyone disagree and have nothing more to add?

#10 11 years ago

lol

the proposed method doesnt need to go forward. it can be any method. the big picture is to have charts for players so we could start by that.
    my guess is Robin will put out a beta someday and start building as we go along. hope so..

in the meantime i will try to beat your ridiculously high scores!

#11 11 years ago

Slavester! I'd love to see some pix of your collection! Sheesh!

Photographer.gifPhotographer.gif

#12 11 years ago

in the meantime i will try to beat your ridiculously high scores!

Congo should be fairly easy... but I agree Roadshow will be a long haul

Slavester! I'd love to see some pix of your collection! Sheesh!

Will one pic do?

July_12_after_small_extension.jpgJuly_12_after_small_extension.jpg

Edit: it looks like a pinball grave-yard!! There are some nice games in there though amongst the beheaded beasts...

#13 11 years ago

I did paste the link to this topic in another topic where Robin commented on updating the Pinside High-score section... maybe he took a look here and was paralised by the complexity of the proposed method of calculating someones score

Haha, to be honest there is no detailed plan yet. I'm currently quite occupied adding the much needed location features to the Pinside Market place. This proves to take a lot more time than I though it would.

I am keenly reading all of your thoughts on this and your points system seems pretty good. I think I can build something starting with these ideas! As soon as time permits I will give it a try! Should there be some kind of validation for participating in this? A minimum number of Karma points or something else to keep the cheaters and trolls out? I guess we should worry about that later.

#14 11 years ago

Congo should be fairly easy... but I agree roadshow will be a long haul

the congo highest score is mine, remember? hehehehehe

RS i dont even understand the game well yet... :S

Quoted from pinballslave:Edit: it looks like a pinball grave-yard!! There are some nice games in there though amongst the beheaded beasts...

you live in paradise!! chaotic paradise, but still a paradise!

Quoted from robin:

A minimum number of Karma points or something else to keep the cheaters and trolls out?

yes, for sure.

#15 11 years ago

Man I was happy with 1.7 billion on Congo. What the hell do I do to get 6 billion more??

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Man I was happy with 1.7 billion on Congo. What the hell do I do to get 6 billion more??

lol
    lots of maps, lots of amy and lots and lots of gorilla mini pf (that is one easy mode and you cant drain the ball )
    super multiball sucks... 10 million each jackpot? pfff you get more on bonus than 5 minutes in super multiball

#17 11 years ago

Edit: it looks like a pinball grave-yard!! There are some nice games in there though amongst the beheaded beasts...

Man, still in storage? AND you're up to 94??? When is your gameroom going to be done?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Should there be some kind of validation for participating in this? A minimum number of Karma points or something else to keep the cheaters and trolls out?

My suggestion, thinking about it, would be to make the hi-score charts only accessible to people who make a monthly donation... it might sound harsh, but I'm on another similar site for music (last.fm) and they have two ways to use the site... one is free and the other is for 'members' who pay $2/month... members get some extra features... I think is makes sense on many levels... The site gets more money to support the extra memory (or whatever it is... I'm very dumb in these things!! haha), it keeps trolls at bay, and... OK, that's it... but both those are good right!!

On the Karma front, this is easy to get round by just saying +1 to loads of topic comments... Personally I think the way karma is earned should be changed... if it was up to me, I'd give 1 karma point for making a post which increses by 1 for every 50 characters up to a max of 5, and +3 for every 'thumbs up'... that way people would have to say something good to get points... and that's what karma is right... being rewarded for doing good... I'd also give some decent karma for adding photo's of hi-scores (50?), again to encourage people to do it... I'd also have two hi-score charts... one exclusively for scores with photo's, and one overall (with all scores, photo's or not)... again, all to curb cheating... the one with photo's would therefore be more respected and believable... Maybe even a step further: Photo's and factory settings... where factory is defined as outlane posts set to mid position and tilt set moderate, and of course all settings at factory... this third chart would be for the 'hard core competitors' I know it's more work, but the result would be awsome and suiting every need...

Quoted from hassanchop:

the congo highest score is mine, remember? hehehehehe

Ah yeah, sorry... too many issues at work to distract me from the important stuff

Quoted from hassanchop:

you live in paradise!! chaotic paradise, but still a paradise! []

I do like the feeling of being there, but to be honest it's a bit too much at the moment... I can sense all the work these games are going to need when I set them up eventually, and I wonder if my lifetime will be enough...

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Man, still in storage? AND you're up to 94??? When is your gameroom going to be done?

Please... don't dude... progress is being made though, although there's no visual evidence of this at the moment... nor any other evidence of any kind... but there IS progress... really...

Post edited by pinballslave : Additional detail to karma and charts

#19 11 years ago

Please... don't dude... progress is being made though, although there's no visual evidence of this at the moment... nor any other evidence of any kind... but there IS progress... really...

Buddy you're killing me! That many machines and no where to set them up to play. Are you building a new house or something? I can't recall now...

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

That many machines and no where to set them up to play. Are you building a new house or something? I can't recall now...

3 are set up to play

I'm planning to renovate a house, and when I do this I'm planning to add an extension which should house the pinballs... that's the plan... but at the moment this house is sitting abandoned while I raise kids and go to work

#21 11 years ago

I agree with the ranking idea. The percentages sometimes make scores seem feeble when in actually fact that particular score could potentially be the 2nd highest score on the site. I dont think it needs to be any more complicated than that. But it is a good idea

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Medieval_Gofers:

I dont think it needs to be any more complicated than that. But it is a good idea []

Charts would be cool though eh... (especially with a complicated points system )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-score-rankings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.