HPL2014-03-10-17h35m35s109.jpg
generalizing.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
285956.png
the-walking-dead-michonne-pets.jpg
michonne.png
le-detail1-980x551.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I posted this in the photos thread, but it's on page 20 and didn't want it to get buried. Some of you may know I'm the creative director at tech site Ars Technica, and I occasionally write about pinball there. So I have connections with Stern's PR and got some really nice high rez shots of the Pro and Le playfields and cabinets. Article is here:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/got-bit-fever-hit-the-walking-dead-pinball-shambles-into-game-rooms/

Just click to enlarge them in a new window so you can see them nice and big. Enjoy!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

LE has a plastic apron? Disappointed.

That struck me as odd too, but I wonder if it was just the only cost effective way to modify the aprons for the crossbow mech?

I thought it was interesting that the translite and backglass are the same image, just with different color treatments.

I really thought the look of the LE cabinet improved a ton with seeing it in high rez. The armor is more interesting of a color than it first appeared, and the details of the hands reaching through the crate sides looks pretty cool.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Seizure warning on the apron sticker is lame, though. I'm going to assume this is some lawyer's fault, though it's never been an issue in the past.

Star Trek LE and Prem has it too, that's one thing that motivated me to make new decals for it, getting rid of that. Pro doesn't, but it doesn't have all the flashers the Prem/LE does. Iron Man has it too. I presume it's just going to be on all new machines from here on out with flashers?

I'll keep doing custom decal packages to get rid of it if people are interested.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Looks like a plastic apron to me.

Same here. As far as I know every apron with a sunken area under the apron cards is plastic, and the metal ones are always flat there. Anyone ever see a metal one that went down like that?

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

I'm a little surprised that you like the LE's cabinet art and are giving Stern a pass on using the same backglass/translite image for both models.

Why? I mean, taste is totally subjective, but what's wrong with the LE cabinet art? Keep in mind, I've never watched the show, only ready the comic, and so I have basically no attachment to any of those actors. Seeing them on the side of the Pro doesn't offend me or anything, I think they did a nice job, but the LE is kind of Scared Stiff-y, the crates and zombies are a nice idea.

Curious what it is you don't like. I was kinda so-so on it when I first saw it in low rez, it was too muddy, but once I saw the high rez I changed my mind.

As for the same image, I think it's actually really clever on Stern's part. They each have their own feel, they each match their respective cabinet art, and the mirroring on the LE looks like it's gonna feel pretty sweet. The LE has the more photographic look, with the full color, it's not as flat, more depth, and the broken glass + mirroring is only going to make it feel even deeper and more 3D. I'd love to see that in person.

Not to mention, kudos to Stern for listening and bringing back the mirrored backglass. They skipped it on Mustang, and I was worried that was the end of it. Very glad to see that's not the case.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Great piece Aurich.

Thanks. I don't write for Ars all that often, not my job as the creative director, but I do occasionally, and pinball is definitely something I like to cover when I think it's something our audience will dig. Nothing fancy in the text, anyone on Pinside probably already knew all that info, but I knew everyone here would appreciate some big high rez photos.

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

We do....we do. I still can not wrap my head around the fact that every time Stern announces a game they do it with pictures I could have practically taken with my phone. Why do you think they do that?

I dunno, as you can see they take some great pics. I didn't even put up the full resolution, the files are huge. They should be proud to show off this one in detail.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My premium came with this?

That is I believe Hooked's apron. Which reminds me that I was supposed to get him Helen apron card art to make light up for some and I've been so busy it fell off my radar.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from LunaStone:

That's what I've been saying. Give the LE a mirrored backglass, new cabinet art, powder coated legs / rails, color DMD, shaker motor, more detailed paint on the toys, etc.

Would you honestly pay $3000 more for that? Because the LE model is presumably a pretty nice profit margin model for Stern, and helps subsidize the Pro in a sense.

I agree in principle, I like JJP's model of just cosmetic differences between LE and Standard, but I don't particularly care for JJP's prices.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The difference is that Stern often has 3 versions to choose from, including the Pro. Again, JJP does not offer a model equivalent to Stern's Pro, which is usually around $1700.00 less (actual price) than the Premium model.

So I don't understand when people say that they like JJP's model of just cosmetic differences between LE and Standard, when Stern generally has that same model PLUS the pro option on top of it.

I guess my point is that this conversation seems more about eliminate the Pro and just have the Premium and LE. Stern uses the differences on the playfield to help sell the upgrades, and keep the Pro cheaper.

I simply don't believe there are 600 people who would pay a $3000 tax for nothing but some bling. It's a big difference.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from LunaStone:

Personally, If it is economically feasible, I'd leave the Pro price where it is, but have all the play features of the LE then drop the LE some.

I don't work for Stern, I'm just another dork on the forum. But I'm going to say it's not. Because what you just suggested is make the build costs of the Pro more expensive, and then make the profit on the LE smaller.

I'm struggling to see how that's good for Stern, the company. Everyone here would love for games to be cheaper, and have more things. Why not? But if it means Stern struggles to make a profit we'll ultimately be sorry.

#312 9 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

yeah, that is the only thing than really bugs me....more cash, and I believe that this is the first LE from Stern without a shaker motor included unless the ST-LE did not have one?? What gives??

Nope, METLE didn't have one either. My understanding is that Borg prefers to spend the money that would go into a shaker on the playfield toys and features instead (he obviously has a budget he has to stay within) since you can always add a shaker yourself later if you care, but you can't just add your own cool playfield feature.

Makes sense to me!

#382 9 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

Under the playfield looks so damn cheap its sad. Like a cheap bike ramp.

Looks like the bottom of a pinball machine to me.

#419 9 years ago

I had zero intention of buying this game right away, and frankly nothing was going to change that. I've spent a ton of money on Stern pins recently, no game is going to get me to open my wallet that wide right now, I need a break. So I'm a fan of Stern games, I'm a fan of Borg + Lyman, but I'm pretty impartial on this one. I don't watch the show, and I have no money on the line.

I'm watching the cycle on Pinside do that same old dance. People beg for the theme. The rumors fly. It's released. People are excited. And Stern didn't hold back on this one, no crap photoshopping, lots of gore, you can't fault them for hitting the right notes.

Then there's the chorus of "where's the video?"

Then the first crappy (no offense to anyone who took them, I know you did the best you could under the circumstances) videos surface and people start getting cold feet. The doubts come out.

The code is early, it's raw, there's something that isn't right. The Well Zombie isn't the right zombie. The pops are too much. We can't hear the sound, but man it sucks anyways.

It's all so familiar. Anyone who bought Metallica knows it. Anyone who bought Star Trek knows it. (Did anyone buy Mustang? I troll, I troll!) This is how it is. Stern is what it is, this is how they work.

I guess all I'm saying is, be patient. This is the dance, we all know the steps, but you gotta let the music play anyways. If you're in on the LE and can't afford to be patient, well, it's just the price you pay. Your pin is going to ship unfinished, and with issues. It just will. It might take 8 months or a year to really shine. I'm confident it will, because Lyman is The Man™. Borg knows how to lay out a game, and if it feels like Tron or Metallica (or X-Men) then don't trip, because the code will make it different, and the small differences will mean it's not the same game. Star Trek isn't Spider-Man.

Stern is far from perfect. They do a lot to make you gnash your teeth. But they make great games still. And they have way more hits than misses these days. You just have to give them time to let the process play out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-rez-photos-of-the-walking-dead-pro-and-le?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.