• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pindiddy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 9 years ago

I'm working on restoring my Taxi playfield, and I'm exploring my options.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yo-another-taxi

The main issue is the transition between the protected and unprotected parts of the playfield. The unprotected part has faded and built up an awesome layer of grime. So I can either try to be as precise as possible with my frisket tracing around all the different cars and people, or ai can shoot grey over the whole thing and apply decals. Perhaps there's a third option I don't know about.

But assuming I wanted to go with the decal route, I'd first need a hihg-res scan of the playfield. If anyone has one, I'd sure love to see it. Otherwise I need to research the right scanner to buy. I'd go with the HP 4600 Vid and Whridlsoncestood both endorse, but it's getting tougher to find and appears to not work well under Windows 7. That's a subject for a different thread, at any rate.

So, does anyone have a high-res scan of a Taxi playfield?

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

I'd go with the HP 4600 Vid and Whridlsoncestood both endorse, but it's getting tougher to find and appears to not work well under Windows 7. That's a subject for a different thread, at any rate.

I just bought a 4670 off ebay not too long ago. You can use the Windows Vista drivers under Windows 7. To scan, you have to go to the "devices and printers" area, right click on the scanner, and click scan.

#3 9 years ago

Is the scan surface of the 4670 smooth all the way through the glass-to-plastic transition? Or is there a slight bevel? If it's beveled slightly, then that means that people are happy with it despite not being perfectly straight, and that there's hope for other, similar scanners.

Is the reason the people like the 4670 because of its transparency? Or does it do something else unique?

#4 9 years ago

The bottom of the scanner is all glass with no bevel and no distortions.

#5 9 years ago

Ah ha. That's why you guys like it so much. I'll have to see if I can snag one at a good price or find an equivalent one.

#6 9 years ago

I went ahead and picked up a 4600 for 50 bucks shipped. Here's hoping!

#7 9 years ago

Vid has probably contributed to the sales of more HP 4600's than HP did! I hunted for months and finally found 2 giveaways on craigslist. The first didn't have the power cord but was in perfect shape. The second was trashed but included the power cord. Works great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-res-scan-of-a-taxi-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.