(Topic ID: 312547)

High Prices at TPF, but is the market really up for EMs and early SS??

By undrdog

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dragonfist (resized).PNG

#1 2 years ago

Here we were at one of the best shows in the nation, in the wealthy State of Texas in high rent Frisco, and a very nice Paragon didn't sell for $3,000. It didn't sell for $2,275 either, which is what the seller finally came down to in the last hours of the show. I guess the seller is taking it home.

Doesn't seem like the market for classic machines is as high as everyone has been going on about ever since Banning, not even at a well attended show where you'd expect higher prices. This is Paragon, after all.

There was a beautiful, very nicely reconditioned Paragon with a $6,000 tag on it. Don't know if it sold.

#2 2 years ago

Paragon isn't what I think of when it comes to sought after early SS games.

EMs are definitely up. For early SS, a lot of the Sterns go for the prices you're expecting, and are amazing games to play.

Paragon is gorgeous, but I personally would never take up a spot at home with one (doesn't mean they haven't gone up).

There's often been show games I would have purchased if not for the hassle of making a deal and arranging shipping, etc. (I'm also beyond capacity). I'd rather experience the event in most cases.

#3 2 years ago

Prices are up on everything. Everything. If I had a nice paragon I wouldn’t sell for much less than 2500 either.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

EMs are definitely up.

Any price spotting at TPF? Just curious.

#5 2 years ago

For a classic SS, they are still somewhat common, especially compared to other games of it's era.

One unsold example certainly isn't a reflection of the current value of SS machines in general. There are many other titles that sell for much more than Paragon average prices.

#6 2 years ago

I felt like prices were generally up at TPF across the board but there were several machines that weren’t horrifically priced. There weren’t any bargains either, to be fair.

My Whirlwind was in the tournament and wasn’t for sale but if it had been for sale I would have put $5500 on it and see what happens.

How was the swap meet?

#7 2 years ago

I’m glad someone finally had the courage to start a pricing thread.

Yes, it seems prices are up on classic games based upon my experiences and also anecdotal evidence.

Mods please mark as resolved.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, it seems prices are up on classic games based upon my experiences and also anecdotal evidence.
    Mods please mark as resolved.

Levi he’s saying the opposite, that prices are NOT “up”. The OP believes EMs and Early SS prices are not elevated.

EMs have always been a rough sell. Right now people don’t seem to be buying them. My observations have been people are buying any DMD-era project that comes up. Any projects at all, nearly any price because there is significant panic that supply has dried up. This has caused people to pass up less desirable games due to lack of space and funds.

People are worried that if they buy a 2k Paragon that they’ll miss out on some fairytale “steal of the century” TAF for 4k at a garage sale, meanwhile they will fight to the death for a non-working Robo War for the same price

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Levi he’s saying the opposite, that prices are NOT “up”. The OP believes EMs and Early SS prices are not elevated.

And he's wrong!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Here we were at one of the best shows in the nation, in the wealthy State of Texas in high rent Frisco, and a very nice Paragon didn't sell for $3,000. It didn't sell for $2,275 either, which is what the seller finally came down to in the last hours of the show. I guess the seller is taking it home.
    Doesn't seem like the market for classic machines is as high as everyone has been going on about ever since Banning, not even at a well attended show where you'd expect higher prices. This is Paragon, after all.
    There was a beautiful, very nicely reconditioned Paragon with a $6,000 tag on it. Don't know if it sold.

I spoke with the seller since I would be interested in owning a paragon again. The dropout in the backglass and PF wear just didn't equal the original asking price of 3000 imo.

Maybe it's worth 2k in that shape?

It seems that the recent trend in rising prices is largely centered around high end examples of very highly rated games as many new collectors have stepped up with deep pockets. A rising tide lifts all boats, but older games (EMs and early SS) just haven't seen the same increase as some of these newer machines.

#11 2 years ago

The question is not so much whether prices are up, but whether they are selling at those prices. Willing seller AND willing buyer.

And I didn’t mean to be price policing, but to do a reality check on what the market really is on the games I am familiar with- EMs and early SS.

If games were to sell anywhere, seems like a big show like TPF would be the place.

The Texas market isn’t necessary the NY or Chicago market.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Any price spotting at TPF? Just curious.

The EMs my buddy and I were interested in weren't for sale unfortunately.

Not sure on other EMs at the show, but in general, EM availability and pricing is much different than when I got into the hobby.

Several overpriced non-EMs though.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

EMs have always been a rough sell. Right now people don't seem to be buying them

If anyone has a nice Flip Flop for sale, please PM me

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's time for a single containment thread. Worked for covid.

#14 2 years ago

Here was the top 2 posts when I loaded pinside right now... you be the judge.

dragonfist (resized).PNGdragonfist (resized).PNG
    3 months later
    #15 1 year ago

The Dragonfist sold, but the amount is private. Hard to see that as an example when the seller didn’t disclose the price.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

The Dragonfist sold, but the amount is private. Hard to see that as an example when the seller didn’t disclose the price.

DF is a rare game, take the price in isolation.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-prices-at-tpf-but-is-the-market-really-up-for-ems-and-early-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.