Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by tomdrum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

02225259-8B8B-4BB6-AE7A-66C384675B3B (resized).jpeg
4C2CA8BC-1F6D-41D4-B463-16C15E8390F2 (resized).jpeg
1F766F76-B9E5-413C-9BC0-06EFBE44FEA3 (resized).jpeg
1D7BCAC7-834A-429F-8E22-4ADD5DD48604 (resized).jpeg
78DCC394-996C-46A0-BF90-A5BB1463F599 (resized).jpeg
High Hand game over (resized).jpg

#1 35 days ago

I picked up a High Hand last week and apparently it has some issues. I cleaned all the stepper units and they move freely now. The issue is that I don’t think it’s actually going into Game Over.

I was checking out some drop targets that weren’t working correctly and heard coils buzzing. With the game showing Game Over on the back glass, if I drop an entire set of drop targets, the appropriate coil energizes for that bank.

I’m EM stupid so I’m not sure where to start. I have a schematic but I'm like a cave man looking at an iPhone.

#2 35 days ago

The drop targets should only reset if the S/Start relay fires and the Score Motor turns. Are both of those happening? If so, when does the S/Start relay pull in?

Beware that the drop target reset circuits (at the very bottom of your schematic) are all running at 120 volts so don't poke around in the game with the power on. Just lift the playfield and observe as you drop the targets from above the playfield.

/Mark

#3 35 days ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The drop targets should only reset if the S/Start relay fires and the Score Motor turns. Are both of those happening? If so, when does the S/Start relay pull in?

Hi Mark. The drop targets reset at the beginning of the game when I hit the start button. The main issue is that if a full set of drops are down even if there is no game started, the associated drop targets relay pulls in.

For example, lets say I lift the playfield and turn on the game (but not hit start). If I drop a full set of any of the 4 drop target banks, the relay energizes for that bank.

Also if I hit the outlane switch, the score motor runs through its end of ball cycle.

It’s like it’s not really in game over.

I can also do that after a game. Meaning if the game ends and a full bank is down, the relay is still energized and the outlane switch still causes the score motor to run through its end of ball cycle.

Quoted from MarkG:

Beware that the drop target reset circuits (at the very bottom of your schematic) are all running at 120 volts so don't poke around in the game with the power on. Just lift the playfield and observe as you drop the targets from above the playfield.
/Mark

Thanks so much. I didn’t know that.

#4 35 days ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

if I drop an entire set of drop targets, the appropriate coil energizes for that bank.

I misunderstood your first post. I thought that the targets were resetting. I think you meant instead that the target bank relay fires. I think that's normal.
High Hand game over (resized).jpg
The schematic shows that whenever all the drop targets in a suit are down, the associated relay for that bank (the B-E relays) fires whether the game is over or not. Similarly the two outside rollovers can fire the H relay at any time. It's only the part of the game north of the switch in the red box that gets cut off once the game is over.

Generally only part of the game is cut off from power once the game ends. Other parts that have to do with resetting or adding credits for example need to stay available between games. I'm a little surprised that the four target bank relays stay active after game over (maybe to keep the playfield feature lights on?) but the rollovers ordinarily wouldn't matter since the ball wouldn't be in play.

If you look at the coil chart on the left side of the schematic you'll see that the designer chose 9740 relay coils for the four target bank relays and 9735 coils for most of the other relays. 9740s have a 20 ohm resistance compared to the 15 ohms for 9735s so they burn about 3/4 of the power of a 9735s to help keep it from overheating.

#5 34 days ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I'm a little surprised that the four target bank relays stay active after game over (maybe to keep the playfield feature lights on?) but the rollovers ordinarily wouldn't matter since the ball wouldn't be in play.

I was worried that a relay being energized after a game was over would just burn up. I just assumed it should be off when the game was finished.

I guess it’s working correctly then. Thanks for your help.

Now it’s off to try and figure out a sticky flipper. The plunger is getting stuck in the coil every once in awhile. The coil is turning off, but the plunger gets stuck in there. I think the coil stop might have the coil slightly cocked, but I need to look.

She turned out pretty good. I need to clean up the coin door and the side rails, but the play field turned out really nice.

1D7BCAC7-834A-429F-8E22-4ADD5DD48604 (resized).jpeg78DCC394-996C-46A0-BF90-A5BB1463F599 (resized).jpeg
#6 31 days ago

Anyone know why my flipper would get stuck up? It’s mechanical and not electrical. I took it apart, cleaned it, put in a new coil sleeve and it still does it.

A very light touch and it immediately springs back. I can move the flipper manually 100 times and it never happens.

Not sure what this coil stop is supposed to look like so that might be the problem. I’ve never seen one with a nut on the bottom.
02225259-8B8B-4BB6-AE7A-66C384675B3B (resized).jpeg1F766F76-B9E5-413C-9BC0-06EFBE44FEA3 (resized).jpeg4C2CA8BC-1F6D-41D4-B463-16C15E8390F2 (resized).jpeg

#7 31 days ago

Slightly magnetized coils stop/plunger id say. Try a new stop.

#8 30 days ago

It could be that there is not enough tension on the return spring, the spring tension is easily adjustable by using a different screw position to secure the spring to the bush/playfield. Ideally the spring tension should be enough to return the flipper but not too much, as the flipper power is weakened if the mechanism is fighting the spring.
I saw that you said it works ok manually but if the playfield was up when you tested it, that can make it behave differently from when the playfield is down.

#9 30 days ago

Game is looking good!

#10 30 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Slightly magnetized coils stop/plunger id say. Try a new stop.

Do I need the entire thing, or is the stop replaceable? The nut on the bottom is throwing me for a loop.

Never mind. Looks like it is replaceable according to the picture PBR has up on their website. The flippers work fine, but I might as well rebuild them while I'm in there.

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/kt-gflip-02m.jpg

#11 30 days ago

Put orange dot coils in while you're there. More power to reach upper target banks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Mason City, IA
950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 60.00
$ 29.99
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside