Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rat_Tomago
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have the opportunity to buy one and I loved this title as a teen. That said, I never experienced Captain Card and as I read more about both titles, I am left to believe I may now be disappointed with HH and its nonresetting targets. Is a modification possible/easy to address this/make it more like CC even though I know AAB is out of the question?

#2 10 years ago

So the thing with HH is that yeah, after you get all the drops down, you're left with going after the special in the kickout hole "only". It can feel a bit dull at that point, but it's matter of personal taste.

Folks have explored making the conversion to reset the drop targets in the past (if you search on rec.games.pinball there are discussions about it in years past). And it is possible to do, but is not a simple task. Then the issue is that it skews the scoring of the game, which can shift the problem to making it too easy from high scores.

HH is a decent enough title though. They made a bunch of them, and they got played to death. Finding one with good cosmetics is challenging. It's one of those games that if a nice one popped up locally and was priced nice, it's a good game to try until something more compelling came along. Or it could just grow into a keeper.

#3 10 years ago

I had a HH a few years ago. It was fun to have an EM in the collection, but the non-resetting drops was kind of a bummer.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks DF, since the HH is 400 miles away, I will wait (maybe forever?) for a CC.

#5 10 years ago

I played one game on High Hand last night at the VRPA tourney finals and that reaffirmed why I sold it... the non resetting drop targets. This was the second pinball that I owned back in 1983. I had lusted after this game after seeing the flyer in the book "Pinball Portfolio". I love drop targets and the bg art is cool. High Hand is still my biggest pinball purchase disappointment - I had hoped for so much more. I briefly looked into modding the game to reset the drops but didn't bother (don't forget this was pre-internet and I was only 17 years old at the time!).

OTOH "Jack in the Box" was my first pinball machine and that is still in my collection (Jumping Jack now).

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from timmyvee:

Thanks DF, since the HH is 400 miles away, I will wait (maybe forever?) for a CC.

HH is more a <50 mile game.

CC would be the one worth a trip (if it's nice).

#7 10 years ago

My HH was a 2 mile game ....

#8 10 years ago

HH sucks...CC worth all the money. In fact it is one the only AAB I would want since I am a replay guy.

#9 10 years ago

I have to agree, Gottlieb missed the boat on high Hand with the non-resetting drops, one of their odder decisions.

#10 10 years ago

CC is in my opinion one of the best of the 70's - 3 inch flippers.

Hard to compare to 60's and 2 inches.

#11 10 years ago

I like HH just the way it plays maybe because I have a few other games whose drops reset after each ball so it’s different. Also being penalized with down the middle drain and no way too recoup those points by knocking down targets again is a challenge. Getting those red specials lit and keep hitting them to hear that knocker does it for me.

Drop-em, put it in the whole, and knockers galore!!!! Hahahaha

#12 10 years ago

On HH all they needed was a risk / reward shot after all the drops are down to reset them like Abra-Ca-Dabra has.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeville, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-hand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.