bop_3.jpg
bop_2.jpg
bop_1.jpg
100_7909.JPG
100_7901.JPG
100_7888.JPG
100_7849.JPG
go_get_it.gif
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

BOP is one of my grails and I've had mine for about 9 months. I love the pin and play it all the time. I'm just not super thrilled with it's condition anymore. It has raised inserts, some wear around the inserts, a chunk out of the heart insert (I redecaled it), broken ramps (covered by cliffy’ s) and severely faded cab decals with some abuse on the cabinet itself. I tried touching up the playfield myself but I can't get the paint to be 100% so I know it needs to be replaced or done professionally. The pin plays great and is very strong but it's just not real nice to look at.

I know I would be upside down and I'm OK with that but I don't want to dump $4K (I could be way off here) or so into the pin and it only truly be worth $2K or so when done. I foresee this pin being with me for a very long time but also need to be logical here.

What are your thoughts on if it would be worth it and what a HEP restored BOP would be potentially worth realistically?

#2 11 years ago

You will never get the money back out of it if you get it HEP'ed, IMO. I'm not sure HOW underwater you will be by the time they get done with it...but you will be under.

There's no logic in (*edit* HIGH END...) restoring a pin that's worth less than 3000 bucks. It's all a decision of the heart. I've got a CPR playfield for Shuttle...getting the new ramp and toy too...I'll never get that money back out.

#3 11 years ago

What'll it be worth? Less than you have in it.

But, if you like BOP enough, go for it

#4 11 years ago

Bop isnt that rare so I would search for one in beter condition and not invest in restoring yours

#5 11 years ago

you'll be into it for at least twice what's it's worth

#6 11 years ago

I agree with many previous posts, you would lose a good bit of money. If you plan on keeping it forever, it may be worth it to you, but I would do as aeneas suggested and search for one in great condition.

#7 11 years ago

Just like an old Mustang, you are going to put more into it than you are going to get when you sell it.

But, I say just do it anyway.

I just totally restored three F-14s to way better than new condition. The customers who wanted the work done were not worried about making a profit, they just wanted the fastest Steve Richie game for their collection.

The way pin prices are rising, they *might* even make a profit sometime this year. Who Knows?

#8 11 years ago

Shop for one in better condition - I sold a HUO only last year.

#9 11 years ago

Nope. But that rarely matters on High End Restores. I'm dropping about 2.5k into my Space Shuttle Restoration, I'll never get my money back out of that, but I don't care, not selling it.

#10 11 years ago

BoP's in my area have been hot, and if the Dutch Pinball guys get their mod out to the public, then BoP's will get even hotter!

http://www.dutchpinball.com/

#11 11 years ago

Have it restored and don't look back. Awesome game. Most I've seen have been beat. Mine was beyond my skill set to make it perfect and I sold it. Hope to get another some day. If you can afford a HEP restore do it and share pics.

#12 11 years ago

Most of them are beat, it would be incredible to see a high end restore on a BOP.

#13 11 years ago

I think it's so cool when someone sends a game to Chris that you rarely see get that kind of treatment. Swords of Fury is a perfect example. I recall Chris mentioning that he enjoys this type of restoration more than games like TZ or MM which he has done a TON of.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Most of them are beat, it would be incredible to see a high end restore on a BOP.

From highendpins.com:

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album363

#15 11 years ago

That's pure sweetness!

#16 11 years ago

I say go for it. Worth it to you is all that matters, forget about the value after. It will play the way you want it to and look like a work of art. Prolly smell better too

#17 11 years ago

I say go for it too. Just piece meal it out & don’t replace everything at once. I bought my BOP last week and that’s my plan. This week I’m replacing rubbers. Two weeks from now it will be backbox repairs. Before you know it you’ll have a beautifully restored BOP in your collection and it won’t break the bank in the process.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

I say go for it too. Just piece meal it out & don’t replace everything at once. I bought my BOP last week and that’s my plan. This week I’m replacing rubbers. Two weeks from now it will be backbox repairs. Before you know it you’ll have a beautifully restored BOP in your collection and it won’t break the bank in the process.

I think the OP was referring to an all-at-once High End Pins (or similar) restoration, but your approach is the one I've been taking with my BoP (my first machine, which I bought two months ago).

I paid more for it than I care to admit and have replaced the MPU board with a Rottendog one, fixed numerous electrical and mechanical issues, touched up the cabinet, replaced screws and missing posts, cleaned and waxed the playfield/parts, bought Cliffy ramp protectors, replaced some burnt pins/connectors and made lots of little adjustments to make the game play better.

I'm probably already in it for more than I'll ever get if I were to sell it, but this is one of my favorite games from when I was young and I don't plan on getting rid of it. The game already plays and looks much better than when I got it. Down the road, if the right opportunity comes along, I may do a playfield swap, as mine suffers from the same insert wear (and right inlane wear) as I've seen in many others.

#19 11 years ago

I have a BoP and really enjoy it. the PF has the original factory mylar but it is bubbled over the Big Wheel inserts and there are areas that paint has worn in unprotected areas, discoloration, etc. I have been trying to decide what to do about restoring it. I have purchased new Heartbeat and a main ramp from PB Inc. and have Cliffy protectors, new bride cube faces and new mini-playfield from CPR. The playfield restore would be more than my ability at this point. I think it could be made into a very beautiful game with the right skills though. The pinball preservationist in me says get it done for the good of the hobby!! I have no plans to sell her, but if I did, I know I would likely lose some $'s, but that would not be the first time.. What to do?

#20 11 years ago

Is it that hard to find another one in fantastic condition and sell yours?
Is JackBot a better game? I've only played PinBot.

#21 11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I've got some thinking to do and maybe some wife convincing too.

I really like the idea of restoring it myself as I'll get more pride out of it that way but where I'm hesitant is my cab needs a lot of work as does the playfield and I'm not sure I can do the cab correctly and I know I'll need to have a new playfield put in or this one redone for me. I can do the electrical no problem as it all works perfect now and really just needs a good cleaning. Just not sure if it would be worth sending just the playfield out and doing the rest myself. I'm leaning heavily towards sending the whole thing to them. Your feedback helps a lot as it confirms what I was thinking. It would be more desirable down the road and worth a bit more but I'll be way under water.

Floyd - Sounds like we are in the same boat. I paid $1850 plus shipping for mine. Plays great but just isn't all that pretty to look at.

#22 11 years ago

The PF restore alone can be 600-1000 to restore depending on its condition
Plus the cost to strip the PF down to bare wood and reassemble if you will not be doing that part.
Cabinet striping and repainting, not sure on cost for that...

For what you would spend on restore...compared to what you could get with a better condition, its a gamble. It really can go either way. The only thing I can see you would be saving with selling your current one to find a better condition game is time. What its worth varies from person to person .

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Is it that hard to find another one in fantastic condition and sell yours?
Is Jackbot a better game?

I've never seen one for sale in the condition I want this to be in. They all seem to have worn playfields (swirl marks and fading), some insert lifting and cab issues. If I could find the right one that would not be a bad option. I'm guessing it would cost me about $2K to make an upgrade as I figure I'd only get $1K for mine and one in QC condition would be around $3K. It's an option though.

As for jackbot - That's going to be a personal preference but to me it ranks 3rd in the tirology. I prefer them as, #1 BOP, #2 Pinbot, #3 jackbot

#24 11 years ago

I haven’t seen any BOPs in the wild. Are they typically in bad shape? I thought mine has some bad playfield wear but sounds like it has the same issues as most here.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Thanks for the feedback. I've got some thinking to do and maybe some wife convincing too.
I really like the idea of restoring it myself as I'll get more pride out of it that way but where I'm hesitant is my cab needs a lot of work as does the playfield and I'm not sure I can do the cab correctly and I know I'll need to have a new playfield put in or this one redone for me. I can do the electrical no problem as it all works perfect now and really just needs a good cleaning. Just not sure if it would be worth sending just the playfield out and doing the rest myself. I'm leaning heavily towards sending the whole thing to them. Your feedback helps a lot as it confirms what I was thinking. It would be more desirable down the road and worth a bit more but I'll be way under water.
Floyd - Sounds like we are in the same boat. I paid $1850 plus shipping for mine. Plays great but just isn't all that pretty to look at.

I paid $1825 and drove roundtrip from Chicago to Louisville to pick it up. There were issues that I didn't notice when I picked it up because (a) it was my first pin and I didn't know what to look for and (b) I was impatient and was excited to have my first pin, especially one I always wanted.

A couple weeks later, I saw one listed much closer to me (it's still listed on Craigslist and in the Pinside market) for $2000 (now $1800), and in much better shape. Oh well! I'll be more discerning and patient for my next purchase.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

I haven’t seen any BOPs in the wild. Are they typically in bad shape? I thought mine has some bad playfield wear but sounds like it has the same issues as most here.

Most of the ones I've seen have the insert wear and the same bare spot in the right inlane where the ball drops from the heartbeat ramp return. Mine was so bad that sometimes the ball would rest there and I'd have to nudge the machine. I have since filled it in with a little super glue, which seemed to do the trick.

It's been a long time since I saw one on location. There was one I played at a Putt-Putt a ton as a kid and then another I ran into at a pizza place in college.

#27 11 years ago

Play it and enjoy it as is! Spend the money on another pin

#28 11 years ago

Question is: Will a $4,000 investment in a restore give you $4,000 more of enjoyment?

#29 11 years ago

Before you decide put ads all over ...Looking for Collector Quality Bride of Pinbot...
See what comes up.

go_get_it.gifgo_get_it.gif

#30 11 years ago

It's like an old Mustang.

Will putting $30K restore work into a $15K Stang make it any faster? No.

But will you enjoy looking at it and driving it more? Absolutely!

If you have the cash, and want a game everyone will drool over at the expos then do it.

Every BOP is pretty well beat. A nice one would be something you would never sell.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

What'll it be worth? Less than you have in it.

But, if you like BOP enough, go for it

+1 if you plan to keep it.

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Question is: Will a $4,000 investment in a restore give you $4,000 more of enjoyment?

It could be a lot more than that depending who does the restore, and how far he wants to go with it. Since he mentioned HEP, shipping it there and back alone would set him back 6-7 hundred. At the end of the day he would have the nicest BOP on the planet. Chris is the king of restorers.

You really have to have the mind set that I am doing this because I want to do it and do not look at it as an investment.

#32 11 years ago

I love my BOP. It is in ok to decent shape, but it is so much fun to play I don't really care. Now my centaur is in pretty good shape but I still want to either get it restored or find a new playfield, even though the original playfield is in pretty good shape. I don't care if I put more money into centaur cause I am definitely not ever gonna sell it!!!!

#33 11 years ago

I've seen really nice BoPs sell for around 3500, the last one was about 4-6 months ago. One of them had a HEP cc'd pf, which was a diamond plate example and didn't need a ton of work but was still expensive to do. A beat regular bop pf will be even more costly to restore, like well over a grand, if anyone would even take on the task. Cab decals and ramps are available now which is good, but will run $500-600, plus a lot of labor. All that being said, depending what you paid for the base game and how far you take it, you probably won't loose too much if you do most the labor yourself. Sending it out for a full restore is a different story, but great game either way.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I've seen really nice BoPs sell for around 3500, the last one was about 4-6 months ago. One of them had a HEP cc'd pf, which was a diamond plate example and didn't need a ton of work but was still expensive to do. A beat regular bop pf will be even more costly to restore, like well over a grand, if anyone would even take on the task. Cab decals and ramps are available now which is good, but will run $500-600, plus a lot of labor. All that being said, depending what you paid for the base game and how far you take it, you probably won't loose too much if you do most the labor yourself. Sending it out for a full restore is a different story, but great game either way.

Well I have only done one BOP playfield as a stand alone service (the only one you could possibly be referring to) and here it is
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album137
Having actually done the work and collected payment I disagree with both your assessment of how much work was needed and the fact that it was "expensive".If anything for the effort and materials used it was too cheap.

Christopher Hutchins

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Well I have only done one BOP playfield as a stand alone service (the only one you could possibly be referring to) and here it is
Having actually done the work and collected payment I disagree with both your assessment of how much work was needed and the fact that it was "expensive".If anything for the effort and materials used it was too cheap.
Christopher Hutchins

Wow. I wish my playfield looked like the before pictures!

#36 11 years ago

Do it!

#37 11 years ago

Christopher Hutchins

I'll let him speak for himself, but when he used the term "expensive" I don't think he was saying or implying that you overcharged for the work that was done. "Expensive" can mean different things to different people.

That BoP that you did was AMAZING.

#38 11 years ago

Not sure the title warrants a High end restore, but like most out ther mine needed alot of work. Why not try doing it yourself, this was my first restore attempt and I think it turned out good considering what I started with. Heres a few progress pics of mine.

100_7849.JPG100_7849.JPG 100_7888.JPG100_7888.JPG 100_7901.JPG100_7901.JPG 100_7909.JPG100_7909.JPG

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'll let him speak for himself, but when he used the term "expensive" I don't think he was saying or implying that you overcharged for the work that was done. "Expensive" can mean different things to different people.
That BoP that you did was AMAZING.

That's cool I am not stressed about it or anything just wanted to put it in better perspective since it was being used as an example.

Christopher Hutchins

#40 11 years ago

I'd get mine HEP restored.....in a "heartbeat"!

#41 11 years ago

HEP - I'm glad you chimed in as you would be the person I would ask to do the work. I'm in the planning phase now but will be contacting you if I go this route to see if you would want to take it on and price.

All - I should have posted this at the start. My idea of condition may be worse than other or lighter than others. Here are some pics of the machine. All I've really done was remove the bubbled mylar which ripped paint off around all the inserts so I had to repaint the whole wheel by hand. As you can tell my paint matching skills aren't that good I also repainted the inlanes where the ball drops as they were just bare wood when I got it. The worst part is the heart insert. I removed half the decal with the mylar so I put a new decal on and botched it as it's not smooth at all.... The biggest part that bugs me is the foggy inserts. I tried cleaning them with water and soap with a que-tip but it didn't nothing.

Pics of what I have now:

bop_1.jpgbop_1.jpg bop_2.jpgbop_2.jpg bop_3.jpgbop_3.jpg bop_4.jpgbop_4.jpg bop_5.jpgbop_5.jpg bop_6.jpgbop_6.jpg

#42 11 years ago

couple more. Don't know if this changes oppinions. You at least get an idea of my restore skills (or lack thereoff).

bop_7.jpgbop_7.jpg bop_8.jpgbop_8.jpg

#43 11 years ago

Christopher Hutchins

Yep that's the one. Me saying it didn't need a ton of work meant it wasn't as bad as most BoPs, which is agreeing with your comment of the first pic. As for price, I was told a $# but only you and the customer know for sure how much it was. It's none of my business really be it high or low, but I know he was very pleased with it. I only cited your example because it's the only one I know of. I wasn't knocking the job done, I think it came out great.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

As you can tell my paint matching skills aren't that good I also repainted the inlanes where the ball drops as they were just bare wood when I got it.

I think that’s a pretty good match in color. Any chance you have the paint codes? I guess all BOPs have missing paint by the inserts.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Yep that's the one. Me saying it didn't need a ton of work meant it wasn't as bad as most BoPs, which is agreeing with your comment of the first pic. As for price, I was told a $# but only you and the customer know for sure how much it was. It's none of my business really be it high or low, but I know he was very pleased with it. I only cited your example because it's the only one I know of. I wasn't knocking the job done, I think it came out great.

I understand and you are right.It was better than many and at least had plenty of potential.I reject most non DP BOPs because very few can be taken to a truly high level.

#46 11 years ago

I was just on that playfield repro place website. The have a copy of the mini-playfield for Bride.

#47 11 years ago

I reject most non DP BOPs because very few can be taken to a truly high level.

Bummer as I think this gives me my answer and direction Mine is not a DP Play field and is worse off than the one that was pictured so it sounds like a HEP restore is off the table now on the whole machine or just the PF.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

I think that’s a pretty good match in color. Any chance you have the paint codes? I guess all BOPs have missing paint by the inserts.

I mixed it myself. It took me about a dozen or so attempts but I got it as close as I could get it. I think I still have some left over as I kept them in small paint containers as I made colors that were close. If I do, I'll let you know and would be more than happy to send it to you. I took the acrylic paint and then covered it with a little clear over the top. The wheel is what bugs me to most as I could never get that color right. I was going to repaint everything that color but got concnered with the area around the shuttle and how I would redo the lettering so I didn't attempt it.

#49 11 years ago

i think it looks fine as it is. Just keep your eye out for a NOS playfield or maybe a CPR reproduction. These playfields have pretty common wear areas so i wouldn't be surprised if CPR does one in the next few years.

Do you really want to drop 2 to 3 thousand for a restore that most people won't notice?

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I mixed it myself. It took me about a dozen or so attempts but I got it as close as I could get it. I think I still have some left over as I kept them in small paint containers as I made colors that were close. If I do, I'll let you know and would be more than happy to send it to you. I took the acrylic paint and then covered it with a little clear over the top. The wheel is what bugs me to most as I could never get that color right. I was going to repaint everything that color but got concnered with the area around the shuttle and how I would redo the lettering so I didn't attempt it.

Thanks! That's very generous of you. I see that we are both located in Texas. If you’re local to the Dallas area maybe we can meet up someplace to play some pinball and drink some beer. I’ll even buy you a few rounds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.99
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-end-restore-on-bop-worth-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.