(Topic ID: 244043)

I was wrong. I'll own it, learn from it, and move on.

By jeffro01

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 209 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by orangegsx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dont look at it (resized).jpg
    sense thread (resized).jpg
    20190511_204222 (resized).jpg
    20190531_082222 (resized).jpg
    8BE8F32F-F318-44A8-BC69-E668D139B1D5 (resized).png
    daretocompare02 (resized).jpg
    18581302._SX540_ (resized).jpg
    LittleBritainYeahButNoBut (resized).png
    i-said-good-day-sir (resized).jpg
    everything-is-fine-nothing-to-see-here-please-disperse (resized).jpg
    ACFA33DF-9AEB-478A-A9CE-70D7D8A7159D (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

Okay so I saw this CL post that's local to me as I've been looking for an Addams Family to add to my collection...

sfbay.craigslist.org link

$10,500 is quite high for a Addams Family so I emailed the seller to offer a more reasonable price in the $7K range... Turns out the seller is a self-appointed expert in "high-end" restorations and was quite rude regarding my offer.

Just curious what others around here think about this... Seller says they have over $7K invested in said "high-end" restoration which to me is just nuts... It's not even a "gold" Addams Family...

Jeff

#2 4 years ago

You need to do some homework.

#3 4 years ago

Jeff, not my pin but have played it.
    Best Addams I’ve ever flipped.
    You may want to do some digging into what a HEP restore is before insulting the seller.

#4 4 years ago

Well he says it’s a hep Resto. I would say that’s on par for his work. He posts on this site and can maybe chime in. But yeah I would say 7k is low for a hep Resto taf.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

You need to do some homework.

+1.

A $7K offer for a HEP TAF is not "reasonable".

#6 4 years ago

It's likely worth that. HEP is the gold standard.

#7 4 years ago

Apparently you are not familiar with the quality and depth of a High-End Pins Restoration. They are top rate, and knowing that it is a HEP restorations that Addams is actually VERY fairly priced. As previous poster said, you need to do some homework.....

#8 4 years ago

Games restored by Chris Hutchins do fetch quite a bit more than average . Chris is one of the best and people do pay extra for games done by him .

#9 4 years ago

Seems like a fair price for an HEP. Chris Hutchins' (HEP) work is stunning top to bottom.

#10 4 years ago

Game looks fantastic.

#11 4 years ago

Yep, this one will bite you back! If it's a true HEP restore it's worth it. Only thing you will ever have to do is wax and switch the balls. Here is a thread you can check out to see his work.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18

#12 4 years ago

This guy was out of line. Not me. You guys want to see the emails?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I was actually very polite. This guy was out of line. Not me. You guys want to see the emails?

This is Pinside, of course we want to see the emails!!!

Wait right there while I fire up the popcorn machine.

#14 4 years ago

I was actually very polite. This guy was out of line. Not me. You guys want to see the emails?

...but of course!!!!

#15 4 years ago

Guessing this is your game? Not sure airing dirty laundry is needed. Seems more ignorance in the buyers part.

Who am I kidding of course pinside wants to see them haha.

#16 4 years ago

This guy was out of line. Not me. You guys want to see the emails?

I approached you with a fair value and you insulted me, this is how you operate?

Whatever post what you want, it's still an Addams Family standard...

Jeff

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I approached you with a fair value and you insulted me, this is how you operate?
    Jeff

Not sure what was said, but gold or standard has nothing to do with the price here. It’s a TAF restored by HEP. It won’t be cheap haha. I would politely tell you to pound sand as well.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

$10,500 is quite high for a Addams Family so I emailed the seller to offer a more reasonable price in the $7K range... Turns out the seller is a self-appointed expert in "high-end" restorations and was quite rude regarding my offer.

Just curious what others around here think about this... Seller says they have over $7K invested in said "high-end" restoration which to me is just nuts... It's not even a "gold" Addams Family...

A $10k price tag for a game restored by HEP is about the norm, even though it's higher than the typical price range for that title. That's just because of the amount of work and new parts/materials that go into it to make it look as new/mint as possible.

I would suggest that you look at some of the restoration threads posted by High_End_Pins to get an idea of what is done to a game that he restores. It is well beyond a typical shop job or teardown that most people do.

#19 4 years ago

I don't see the value in a specific kind of restoration done by a specific person, at the end of the day the machine is the machine. Flame me if you must.

Jeff

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

Take it on the chin, you made "an offer" that wasn't accepted. Move on. Not all offers have to be accepted.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I approached you with a fair value

LOL

#22 4 years ago

$10.5k is absolutely in line. I couldn’t build one today for that with a base game costing $5500 and up now.
    You can’t get leather on a vinyl budget unfortunately.
    You will have to lower your standards ,do the work yourself or increase your offer.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Take it on the chin, you made "an offer" that wasn't accepted. Move on. Not all offers have to be accepted.

That part I'm totally in agreement with. I can admit when I'm wrong. I didn't come here to pound on the seller, I came here to ask the community what they thought. Community says I'm in the wrong.

Jeff

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I don't see the value in a specific kind of restoration done by a specific person, at the end of the day the machine is the machine. Flame me if you must.
    Jeff

Why bother to flame if you see no value in it? This post seems dead now. NOT!!!

#25 4 years ago

First e-mail
    Good Morning,
    In an effort to not waste your time, I'll cut to the chase. Love the machine but for a regular Addams Family (not the gold collectors edition) I'd be around $6,500-$7,000. Not trying to low ball you in any way, nor am I some sort of scammer. I'm a serious collector that would love to add this machine to my collection. Are you even interested in a conversation? Totally understand if the answer is a hard no as you might get that much out of it if you're patient enough.

Thank you for your time reading, hope to hear back but I understand if you're taken back at where I'm at currently.

Thanks,
    Jeff

My response
    What you need is an unrestored Addams Family. Your budget it sufficient for one.

Second e-mail
    Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply. I'd be shocked if you get anywhere near $10K for a standard Addams Family but good luck nonetheless, I totally understand. If you had a Gold then we'd be having a completely different conversation. I get my valuations from pinside if you're curious as to where my number even came from.

All of that being said though, appreciate the super fast response and I can assure you my intention was not to insult you or or your price.

Thanks, Jeff
    My response
    Citing Pinside average values tells me you are totally unfamiliar with the value of high-end restorations. The restoration itself runs well in excess of $7000. Your budget can get you an unrestored Addams. Good day.
    Third e-mail
    Good Morning,

LOL... I tried to be nice and respectful but then you had to take a cheap shot... If you paid $7K to restore this machine then you're in no position to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, you wasted $7k... Considering a standard Addams Family goes for around $7K, you're already in the hole so no wonder you're excessively pricing this machine. That's okay, I'm sure you'll eventually find a sucker who will grossly overpay.

Good luck, you're going to need it...

Jeff
    My response
    No, I'm the one who tried to be nice. Screw off you ignorant newb.
    4th e-mail
    Ignorant newb? I'm not the dumbass who spent more restoring the machine than it's worth... LOL... Again, good luck... I'm sure you'll find a sucker eventually.

Jeff

That is all.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I didn't come here to pound on the seller, I came here to ask the community what they thought.

Quoted from jeffro01:

Turns out the seller is a self-appointed expert in "high-end" restorations and was quite rude regarding my offer.

Yeah... no.

#27 4 years ago

Let it go guys, there was an understandable misunderstanding in a hobby that is full of supposed 'mint' machines for top dollar which are obviously not. If I wasn't already aware of HEP pins I'd have scoffed too. You see people tell people on these forums all the time that 'just because you put that much money into it, it isn't worth it' when people go to sell.

#28 4 years ago

First e-mail
    Good Morning,
    In an effort to not waste your time, I'll cut to the chase. Love the machine but for a regular Addams Family (not the gold collectors edition) I'd be around $6,500-$7,000. Not trying to low ball you in any way, nor am I some sort of scammer. I'm a serious collector that would love to add this machine to my collection. Are you even interested in a conversation? Totally understand if the answer is a hard no as you might get that much out of it if you're patient enough.
    Thank you for your time reading, hope to hear back but I understand if you're taken back at where I'm at currently.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    My response
    What you need is an unrestored Addams Family. Your budget it sufficient for one.
    Second e-mail
    Good Morning,
    Thank you for your reply. I'd be shocked if you get anywhere near $10K for a standard Addams Family but good luck nonetheless, I totally understand. If you had a Gold then we'd be having a completely different conversation. I get my valuations from pinside if you're curious as to where my number even came from.
    All of that being said though, appreciate the super fast response and I can assure you my intention was not to insult you or or your price.
    Thanks, Jeff
    My response
    Citing Pinside average values tells me you are totally unfamiliar with the value of high-end restorations. The restoration itself runs well in excess of $7000. Your budget can get you an unrestored Addams. Good day.
    Third e-mail
    Good Morning,
    LOL... I tried to be nice and respectful but then you had to take a cheap shot... If you paid $7K to restore this machine then you're in no position to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, you wasted $7k... Considering a standard Addams Family goes for around $7K, you're already in the hole so no wonder you're excessively pricing this machine. That's okay, I'm sure you'll eventually find a sucker who will grossly overpay.
    Jeff
    My response
    4th e-mail
    Ignorant newb? I'm not the dumbass who spent more restoring the machine than it's worth... LOL... Again, good luck... I'm sure you'll find a sucker eventually.
    Jeff
    That is all.

I'm just happy to have read a thread of emails from people who know the difference between "your" and "you're"

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

It's not about the specific person per say, but the work that has been done to it.

Like I said, it's way beyond a typical refurbishment. I highly suggest taking a look at HEP's restoration threads to see what is actually done to games. Brand new cabinets with new stencils/decals, full playfield restoration or replacement with clear coating, all metal parts polished to a mirror finish, and much more.

#31 4 years ago

Just let this go...its over
    OP is just a little inexperienced
    Just going to get worse from here if both sides keep posting

I would also like to add that the game looks incredible

#32 4 years ago

He made it public. Felt inclined to defend myself. I'm over it.

#33 4 years ago

I've bought 3 pins from NorCalRealtor, one of the best pinsiders & sellers I've ever known. What a clown this tire-kicker is. Buy with confidence

#34 4 years ago
    ACFA33DF-9AEB-478A-A9CE-70D7D8A7159D (resized).jpegACFA33DF-9AEB-478A-A9CE-70D7D8A7159D (resized).jpeg
    #35 4 years ago

A Mustang restored by Chip Foose is worth more than a Mustang restored by your neighbor. Same with pins.

OP is hopefully going to learn something new today

#36 4 years ago

First e-mail
    Good Morning,
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    My response
    Second e-mail
    Good Morning,
    Thanks, Jeff
    My response
    Third e-mail
    Good Morning,
    Jeff
    My response
    4th e-mail
    Jeff
    That is all.

Hmm to be honest Jeff comes across as a nice guy in these emails, just a little uninformed. You are really short with him and I can see where he could take it as you being a dick. I don't think you were, and I get both sides. He doesn't understand an HEP resto, and you didn't want to waste your time with this guy who is clearly not on the same page.

#37 4 years ago

4th e-mail
    Jeff
    That is all.

Why is he so upset? He is a newb. Cites pinside but has been on since January of this year.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Okay so I saw this CL post that's local to me as I've been looking for an Addams Family to add to my collection...
    sfbay.craigslist.org link
    Jeff

If I were the OP, I'd beg the mods to delete this thread. People are so quick to attack without knowing what the hell they are talking about. Next time do some research first...

Brian

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I don't see the value in a specific kind of restoration done by a specific person, at the end of the day the machine is the machine.
    Jeff

Could not be further from the truth, guess you are better off sitting at the docks waiting for containers of over seas water logged machines to come in. That might be more of what your looking for.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

What that game went through is the equivalent of a classic car going through a high end frame off restoration with every single part restored and or replaced. It's quality is far beyond any shopped or even HUO version of the game. Better then new.

I see you own a Pirates LE as well. Imagine that game going through thousands of plays over 20+ years. A typical shop job would likely return it to working order but it would still look beat. Would you pay $10k or more for it though? No. HEP though would take the game and make it look better then new. Every part removed polished, cabinet redone or replaced, new artwork, multiple parts replaced, playfield professionally restored or replaced with high end clear coat job. Dozens and dozens of hours would go into the restoration.

Price is fair.

#41 4 years ago

These statements were WAY out of line and tipped the scales for me.

I'd be shocked if you get anywhere near $10K for a standard Addams Family but good luck nonetheless, I totally understand. If you had a Gold then we'd be having a completely different conversation. I get my valuations from pinside if you're curious as to where my number even came from.

If you paid $7K to restore this machine then you're in no position to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, you wasted $7k... Considering a standard Addams Family goes for around $7K, you're already in the hole so no wonder you're excessively pricing this machine. That's okay, I'm sure you'll eventually find a sucker who will grossly overpay.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinghetto:

If I were the OP, I'd beg the mods to delete this thread. People are so quick to attack without knowing what the hell they are talking about. Next time do some research first...
    Brian

At this point, let people pile on. I'm not going to say anything else, flame me, call me what you will. I came to ask, got hammered and that's life...

Jeff

#43 4 years ago

I've sold a pin to NorCalRealtor and it went flawlessly (other than me forgetting to pack the power cord!)

And from the emails, the OP looked to be quite polite and respectful in his initial emails until he felt personally offended in the response.

#44 4 years ago

He made it public. Felt inclined to defend myself. I'm over it.

You defend in quite a rude manner, i understand the HEP bandwagon, but he almost apologized he made you an 7k offer .... , instead of saying thank you for your offer, you lashed out ... c'mon

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Correction: It's an HEP Addams Family standard.

#46 4 years ago

Just a misunderstanding. If I came into a hobby and saw a nice shiny "something" I wanted and then the price was way over my expectations due to some alteration or restoration, I'd be feeling like someone's trying to pull one over me. But then again, research may do people well in avoiding silly public threads like this. Also, being a veteran in the hobby, I'd probably just not respond after the first email bc I wouldn't want to ruffle feathers and let someone else take on the burden of explaining or teaching - dont care any on wasting time on that. Serious collectors have some serious coin into lots and lots of valuable and rare games. Most collectors collect anything. A serious collector won't say that they're a serious collector.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

At this point, let people pile on. I'm not going to say anything else, flame me, call me what you will. I came to ask, got hammered and that's life...
    Jeff

...yet you'd rather have that than admit you made a mistake and apologize?? Seriously, everyone makes a mistake or misjudges something, how you handle dealing with that mistake it is what people will remember. It's how you are handling this is bringing on Pinside's hammering than the actual mistake/misjudgment.

#48 4 years ago

OP, if you stay in the hobby a few more years to give yourself time to learn more about HEP or even read his thread a bit, you may regret not spending just a few grand more for a work of near perfection sold to you by a well known and honest collector. Opportunity missed. The seller and HEP’s work deserve far more respect.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypalooza:

If you paid $7K to restore this machine then you're in no position to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, you wasted $7k...

Some collectors want the finest of the finest. We all have different tastes, and that's OK. Crazy to you, but a must have for someone else.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

I personally think if the title were
    High End Restorations? you would have fared better than “High End “Restorations...LOL

Sometimes it is just the presentation that sets the tone here.
    Anyway I am sure you will have no problem finding a TAF that meets your budget and requirements and if you are new at this it is an easy mistake to make.

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-end-restorations-lol?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.