IMG_7654 (resized).jpg
IMG_7606 (resized).jpeg
33326834-35C1-426D-9901-6ACEF10A012A (resized).jpeg
IMG_7581 (resized).jpeg
20200808_121750 (resized).jpg
IMG_7568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7550 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7503 (resized).jpeg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Picked up this beauty today. I would have passed but I had this pin as a kid and I've been looking for another for a long time. Anyway, I'm hoping to repaint and by a playfield protector to get this back in shape. If anyone has any hi-res scans of the playfield that they would be willing to send, I would be very appreciative. Will be my first repaint job. I don't think I can screw it up any more than it already is. . .

Also, if anyone is selling a playfield in better shape than this one, I would be interested.

Thanks

IMG_7114 (resized).jpegIMG_7114 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#2 3 years ago

I have a complete TA in California. Shopped and plays beautifully. 9/10. Happy to ship!

2 months later
#3 3 years ago

My BoP restoration hit a speed bump so I'm back to this Target Alpha. Day 1 before and after cleaning with alcohol & magic eraser.

IMG_7490 (resized).jpegIMG_7490 (resized).jpegIMG_7494 2 (resized).jpegIMG_7494 2 (resized).jpeg
#4 3 years ago

Every time I look at this thing it reminds me of this other retouched artwork.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

1st attempt at wood tone airbrush touch ups, before and afters

IMG_7493 (resized).jpegIMG_7493 (resized).jpegIMG_7500 (resized).jpegIMG_7500 (resized).jpegIMG_7499 (resized).jpegIMG_7499 (resized).jpegIMG_7503 (resized).jpegIMG_7503 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#6 3 years ago

Yellow and pink paint done. Probably should have just painted over the black lettering and painted back later with stencils or waterslide. Oh well, live and learn.

IMG_7550 (resized).jpegIMG_7550 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7 3 years ago

Red done. Purple next.

IMG_7568 (resized).jpegIMG_7568 (resized).jpeg
#8 3 years ago

Nice progress

#9 3 years ago

Thanks! It's definitely more work than I expected, but it feels great to get a color done. I'm dreading the black lines but I have a feeling those will really make it look good when they're done.

#10 3 years ago

Are you using frisket and an airbrush?

#11 3 years ago

I'm using a silhouette cameo and gerbermask for most of it. Frisket for stuff that I forgot to plot on the silhouette or that I think is going to be easy to freehand cut. Airbrush for everything.

I think the cameo will be critical for the black lines. I can't think of any other way to get consistent line thicknesses, etc., but that will mean a ton of prep work in illustrator before I can even think about painting.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I'm using a silhouette cameo and gerbermask for most of it. Frisket for stuff that I forgot to plot on the silhouette or that I think is going to be easy to freehand cut. Airbrush for everything.
I think the cameo will be critical for the black lines. I can't think of any other way to get consistent line thicknesses, etc., but that will mean a ton of prep work in illustrator before I can even think about painting.

I’ve used a paint pen with mixed results. I may try water slide decals next time. I don’t have a Cameo.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I’ve used a paint pen with mixed results. I may try water slide decals next time. I don’t have a Cameo.

with the paint pen, don't you still have to mask everything off?

I bought the cameo on sale just for this project. It's by far the best and most useful tool I've purchased for pinball related stuff. I don't think I would have attempted this without the cameo.

#14 3 years ago

Apologies for stepping in....what are the items you mention...silhouette cameo, gerbermask, frisket?

#15 3 years ago

Are you scanning the playfield to get accurate cut outs for the Cameo? I know it’s similar to one of those Cricut machines. What’s your process?

#16 3 years ago

Baslaw:
Were you missing any lacquer in the lower wood area?
Did they just paint over or was it bare wood.
I ask cause I'm looking to solve this similar issue.

20200808_121750 (resized).jpg20200808_121750 (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago

@Flipperfanatic: A Silhouette Cameo is a vinyl cutter (cuts other things too). There's a thread on pinside about using it on pinball restorations. You upload drawings to the Cameo, and the Cameo cuts the drawings into the vinyl so you have an adhesive paint mask. Cricut is another brand.

Murphdom Personally, I've scanned my playfield with an old scanner that I have, but the scanned pictures were still hard to align perfectly. The frame of the scanner is angled so the scanner doesn't lay perfectly flat on the playfield. The good thing about the vinyl is that it's stretchy. If my scans are a little off, I can stretch them enough to align perfectly.

FlipperFanatic Frisket, Gerbermask, and Oramask are all types of low adhesive vinyl that are used for airbrush paint masking. Gerbermask works best for cutting small details with the Cameo (basically, all of the lettering on my playfield). My understanding is that the oramask and frisket are harder to cut with the Cameo, but they're good for freehand cutting - they're see through so you can place a sheet on the playfield and then cut the outline of what you want to paint.

I had never airbrushed or heard of a cameo until I decided to rehab this target alpha and started seeking advice on pinside. Airbrushing is really easy, and the cameo makes the process almost dummy proof if you have good scans of the playfield.

RE: the bare wood at the bottom, not only did the previous owner paint over the lacquer, the wood had some gouges in it. I think I would have been able to use the airbrush to get a good thin wood color if it was just stained, but I had to fill the gouges with wood putty so now the bare wood section will probably have to be painted more of a brown/beige color. I'll figure that out when I get to that point. If your wood is in good condition, I would consider picking up a can of varnish and brushing just on that section. It won't be as good as a pro restoration but I bet it would be perfect for home use.

It's all a little hard to describe in words if you're not familiar with the cameo. I'll upload some pics when I print my next set of masks for the purple color.

#18 3 years ago

Thank You for all this information. Like you I turned to Pinside for information. So...yeah...tag you're it

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

with the paint pen, don't you still have to mask everything off?
I bought the cameo on sale just for this project. It's by far the best and most useful tool I've purchased for pinball related stuff. I don't think I would have attempted this without the cameo.

I didn’t mask anything when using the paint pen. I bought an empty pen last time but am going with a Montana acrylic paint pen this time.

#20 3 years ago

One thing that you might try to even out your bare wood color is to use oxalic acid crystal mush.. yeah i know water isn't something to take lightly... I make the paste with just enough water to attack the wood... usually takes several applications... apply for a half hour, clean with alcohol... let dry to see results, rinse and repeat. Here are a few photos of a really nasty GTB Hit N Run playfield before and after set of pix:

https://photos.google.com/search/hit%20n%20run/photo/AF1QipMnRKbuLeiRaKF7T6LLCfPhhsYLu9ZWA9USEB81

More great background info and technique tips on this pinside topic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nasty-pop-bumper-damage-and-other-points

#21 3 years ago

This weekend's efforts had some set backs. I decided to mask the playfield by hand with an xacto knife using oracal (the blue stuff). The only part I used the silhouette for in this picture is the white mask top right- cutting those small lightning bolt shapes by hand would have been annoying.

I sprayed all of the purple areas, but doing so highlighted some additional playfield defects that I hadn't noticed before. They really showed up under a clean coat of paint. Also, when I removed the oracal, it proved too strong and pulled up some of the yellow and pink paint. It even pulled up some wood fibers in spots. Guess the oracal can't be trusted with an uncleared playfield. Too bad - it's see through and really easy to cut and work with.

I wood puttied and sanded many spots and now I'll repaint the colors.

Still dreading the black lines. I'll have to try to find a very fine black paint marker. I'm also looking into using a pinstriping paint brush.

IMG_7581 (resized).jpegIMG_7581 (resized).jpeg
#22 3 years ago

Montana makes an acrylic marker with a .7mm tip. I haven’t tried it yet.
33326834-35C1-426D-9901-6ACEF10A012A (resized).jpeg33326834-35C1-426D-9901-6ACEF10A012A (resized).jpeg

#23 3 years ago

When you’re done why don’t you take the 5 minute drive and pop on over and do one of my playfield touch ups for me

#24 3 years ago

Ha! I am enjoying this attempt but I think I'll need a year off after I finish this one

@silverstreak - I just ordered one of those montana markers. That's probably my best option.

#25 3 years ago

Tried the black montana marker today after repainting yellow. Worked pretty well for straight lines but it's real tough to draw curved lines that are consistent width and not wavy. Also, the marker tip snagged on every defect in the wood, spattering paint. This seems like it will be my best option for black but it's going to be very hard to make it look professional and not hand drawn.

IMG_7606 (resized).jpegIMG_7606 (resized).jpeg
#26 3 years ago

It looks great. I’m sure there has to be something decent at the craft store that can help with curved lines.

1 week later
#27 3 years ago

Lots of progress today.Repainted red and purple and played around with the Montana paint marker on some keylines. I think I need to spray a lockdown clear coat to protect the existing paint before I do white and the rest of the black but I'm dreading it a bit - I would hate to ruin any of the work I've done.

IMG_7654 (resized).jpgIMG_7654 (resized).jpg
#28 3 years ago

Thanks for posting your progress. Did you spray a lockdown clear at the start, and what clear coat are you using?

#29 3 years ago

I did not spray a lockdown coat to start. The playfield was so messed up it didn't matter if I pulled any paint off when I started. Frisket and Gerbermask 1 have the perfect amount of low tackiness so I'd probably be safe without the lockdown, but I have enough work into this now that I don't want to screw anything up.

I'm going to try Diamond Finish by KBS for my clear. I've seen a few posts on it. It's brushable. I know I'd get better results with a 2PAC clear but I don't want to pay someone to do that, and I don't want to buy all of the safety equip to do it myself. This was a free machine that will be strictly home use so I have no worries about the clear holding up. My only concern is that it reacts with something on the playfield and screws up the work I've already done.

#30 3 years ago

Maybe try the Spraymax 2k clear in a can? - about $20 a can

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club

#31 3 years ago

Still need a fresh air respirator, full body suit, face shield- way too much risk and expense to me by the time you buy all the safety equip.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Still need a fresh air respirator, full body suit, face shield- way too much risk and expense to me by the time you buy all the safety equip.

Amazon has a 3m mask that works for this. The cost is $27, add $5 for a bunny suit at Harbor Freight and a pair of $6 swim goggles. A box of gloves at Harbor Freight is another $8. I thought I would throw this out for reference.

#33 3 years ago

I've used KBS on 3 playfield now, no issues with any of the touchups or any issues after a couple thousand plays. Dave and Ryan did a series on their turbografx7 facebook page where they touched up a couple alien stars and then did the KBS clear on them, lots of good details in there.

edit: playfield is looking good.

#34 3 years ago

@Silverstreak - 3M supplied air masks (required for spraying 2PAC) are usually in the hundreds of $$ - certainly not $27, but it's not my concern if people want to risk their health over a playfield. Call me crazy but there's enough info out there to scare me so I'm going the KBS Diamond Finish route. As BorgDog says - he and others have tried KBS with good results, and being able to brush the stuff onto my playfield is something I'm comfortable with.

#35 3 years ago

BorgDog did you spray a lockdown coat with KBS and then brush over, or did you brush all coats with KBS?

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

borgdog did you spray a lockdown coat with KBS and then brush over, or did you brush all coats with KBS?

I've done both brush and roller, have not sprayed at all.

2 weeks later
#37 3 years ago

More progress this weekend. A very light spray clear coat worked well (no bubbling or issues). Followed up with some black airbrushing. A few more black touchups, then white and I'll be ready to start the final clear coat process. Black createx has been the easiest to spray by far. Would love to get this back together and working by Thanksgiving so I can turn my attention back to my BoP refurb.

IMG_7757 (resized).jpegIMG_7757 (resized).jpeg
#38 3 years ago

I think I'm finally ready to clear the playfield. It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement from where it started.

IMG_7766 (resized).jpegIMG_7766 (resized).jpeg

12db2d10df36e358ef5a7f33aee20aee41f37253.jpeg (resized).jpg12db2d10df36e358ef5a7f33aee20aee41f37253.jpeg (resized).jpg
#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I think I'm finally ready to clear the playfield. It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement from where it started

Certainly something to be proud of, very nice work!

#40 3 years ago

Looks awesome.

#41 3 years ago

Really nice work. Thanks for taking the time to document. Inspiring stuff to see how far you brought it back from near ruin.

#42 3 years ago

Looks nice. I'd be curious to hear your takeaways. What worked great? What would you do differently?

#43 3 years ago

Takeaways so far -

I've never done most of the things I did on the machine - this is totally possible for a noob like me.

Createx paint is as good as Vid claims in his playfield guide, although you have to thin some colors (e.g. white) with water to get them to spray well. I had zero problems spraying white over black. This is the first time I've ever airbrushed anything. I did it with a cheap airbrush and a home depot shop compressor and everything worked perfectly. I now want to airbrush everything

Heat setting the paint with a hair dryer is awesome. However, even a day later, some colors (eg red) will smear if you wipe them with a damp cloth. Clearing over is the only way to stop the smearing.

Everything in the silhouette cameo thread at pinside is spot on - that is an awesome tool for playfield restoration and using gerbermask (per the thread instructions) is the only way to go for detail work like text. You need a scanner to get accurate pictures to trace. If you have the scanner & silhouette, you're golden.

Original frisket is great when you're too lazy to trace your images for the silhouette or you have a simple shape to cut. I tried a knock off Frisket and it was terrible.

I could have done waterslides for the text, but my test shows that airbrushing works pretty well if the silhouette is cutting the stencils. It's not perfect, but I think I could get it there with more time, patience, and experience.

Airbrushing over everything as I did minimizes the amount of sanding lead paint that I had to deal with.

Where wood was damaged, I filled with wood putty & painted over. Even on bare wood areas, you can get decent results with a few light coats of different shades of beige. Again - not perfect but a guest wouldn't probably wouldn't notice in a HUO situation with lights, etc.

Montana paint markers (mentioned above) work very well (.07mm fine tip). I'm hoping they don't bleed when I clear over. They also sell empty montana paint markers. I filled one with the pink createx I mixed and that worked well for minor touch ups when I screwed up a spot airbrushing or accidentally scratched a spot.

1 week later
#44 3 years ago

Painted on my first coat of KBS Diamond Finish clear today. It did NOT go well. I followed the instructions perfectly. Outside, not too hot, low humidity, used a foam brush, did not thin. I think this stuff is way too thick out of the can. I will likely have to wet sand before my next coat and hope I can get things to level out (and hope I don't cut into any of the paint).

The good news is, outside, under natural light, at an angle where the drags and runs don't show, the clear makes thge paint look great

IMG_7779 (resized).jpegIMG_7779 (resized).jpegIMG_7780 (resized).jpegIMG_7780 (resized).jpeg
#45 3 years ago

The paint really pops with the clear on it.

4 weeks later
#46 3 years ago

Finally calling this playfield done. It came out better than I had hoped. After I brought it inside, I realized I probably could have sanded longer with each grit sandpaper. I can see tiny swirls. That said, I'm happy with my first repaint & clear coat.

IMG_7907 (resized).jpegIMG_7907 (resized).jpegIMG_7908 (resized).jpegIMG_7908 (resized).jpeg

#47 3 years ago

Looks great! Did you stick with KBS for the clear?

#48 3 years ago

Switched to spraymax. I never got kbs to work. Spraymax was extremely forgiving for a noob like me.

#49 3 years ago

Looks awesome. How many cans and how many coats out of curiosity? It really turned out great.

#50 3 years ago

Looks amazing. Now you’re going to want to repaint the cabinet to match the fresh playfield repaint.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hideous-target-alpha-playfield-needs-art?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.