(Topic ID: 134854)

Hi, I'm New Here, looking Forward to Getting Scammed!

By WedgeHeadRevival

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Greeting from Canada! Just joined the site today! I own one EM pinball machine I purchased 1.5 years ago, and have now caught the pinball bug!

The first thing I stumbled across was the Pinside on how not to get ripped off (Vid). I am fairly skeptical to begin with, and a lot of the ads I have replied to on Kijiji (like Craigslist, but only in Canada) seem to fall into the shady to say the least, blurry pics, etc., as mentioned by Vid.

I am looking to buy another on the lower end of the scale ($800 to $1800 - the exchange rate is terrible here in Canada, currently 31 cents on 1 USD ), but find it frustrating how easy it is to be scammed, and the amount of willing scammers.

So, I hope to learn a lot on this site!

thanks,
    Vik

#2 8 years ago

Welcome to the site. I wish I could say this site is Scammer Free but 99% of the folks here are good people.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Seal Clubber, it's good to know on here are on the up-and-up. No iste or marketplace can be completely safe, but hopefully I can find something safely!

#4 8 years ago

You may want to rethink your thread headline.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from WedgeHeadRevival:

Thanks Seal Clubber, it's good to know on here are on the up-and-up. No iste or marketplace can be completely safe, but hopefully I can find something safely!

Typically people with higher Karma have been around and are quite trustworthy, Oh wait, never mind....

Always start a thread looking for someone to vouch for a seller if you are a bit uneasy transacting with them.

Best of luck!

#6 8 years ago

If possible check out a machine in person, if I want to make sure I lock something up I usually tell the seller "I'll take it but only if it's in the condition described and shown in the pictures when I inspect it, so tell me any other faults or issues now"

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I had no idea until recently that pins were a lucrative market for scammers.
    Unfortunately, a lot of my wants seem to be mostly in the U.S. and not many turn over (at, least publicly) here.

That's good advice center-flank, I think I'll do that. There is one machine I was eyeing but the seller is less than a week old on here. I think i'll take it easy and scope this place out and try to soak in as much info. as possible.

I am still shocked at the asking price on some machines I have been looking into, especially as compared to others offering similar machines.

#8 8 years ago

Where in Canada art thou? Tis a large land

Lots of good folks here, both southern and northern. We can all assist with your needs.

#9 8 years ago

Yup I've had lots of luck and of course some obvious scams I've avoided on kijiji. Best advice is check out a pin in person and pay in cash if possible. Pinball revolution is mainly canadian members if looking for local.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from WedgeHeadRevival:

looking Forward to Getting Scammed

We are all looking forward to scamming you.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Where in Canada art thou? Tis a large land
    Lots of good folks here, both southern and northern. We can all assist with your needs.

I am near London, Ontario!

I know there's a few members on here from the surrounding areas!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Yup I've had lots of luck and of course some obvious scams I've avoided on kijiji. Best advice is check out a pin in person and pay in cash if possible. Pinball revolution is mainly canadian members if looking for local.

I registered on that site too! Not too much action happening on there. It looks like one has to import from the U.S. to get a lot of the pins, unless I am mistaken.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

We are all looking forward to scamming you.

Hey Vid! Nice post on avoiding rip-offs!

#14 8 years ago

Don't dismiss pinball revolution if you want to buy pins in Ontario. Like pinside there is much wisdom and very very helpful pinheads, unlike pinside there is much local experience.

My advise is to see the pin in person, play it, research it and make sure it plays well right to the end, bring a friend or two, DONT bring cash until you have checked out the pin and seller. Most people in the hobby are good people.

#15 8 years ago

Hey WHR. Check out Maaca.org too. It's a pinball site / organization based out of Montreal. Buy/sell/trade forums there are almost all Montreal / Quebec city / Ottawa & Gatineau based, so borders won't be an issue.

#16 8 years ago

I'm in London. Check out our league: http://www.incitti.com/pinball/lopl/

Next one is Saturday.

#17 8 years ago

I'm right at the border.....I got a buddy that comes over and brings pins back all the time....get a receipt for what you paid for it "uhemm"(clears throat)...pay a small duty when you bring it home....simples.....the price is driven by desirability.....not the similarity of the machine... ................Joey

#18 8 years ago

I'd love to buy in the U.S., but with a .74 cent dollar, it's going to be some time before I do. So anyone want to buy a LOTR LE for 10k Canadian? Lol

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

I'd love to buy in the U.S., but with a .74 cent dollar, it's going to be some time before I do. So anyone want to buy a LOTR LE for 10k Canadian? Lol

No, but I may know someone willing to take a crack at that ST you have,

#20 8 years ago

I would second visiting PinballRevolution and maaca.org as well as getting to know your local collectors. Come up to the Ottawa Pinball Show in September! (http://ottawapinball.com/opgs).

You will need patience -- wait for the right machine to pop up. There might be a few bargains (there was a 300 for $300 this morning on kijiji, gone already) but expect to pay fair price from a collector (but still -- EMs are a relative bargain). If you don't mind travelling WilliamsFan just put up his nice Surf Champ on Ottawa kijiji -- buy with confidence!!

#21 8 years ago

Welcome to the club. PbRev is a great asset.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hi-im-new-here-looking-forward-to-getting-scammed-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.