Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hi Deal Bonus Score relay picture (resized).jpg
IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1266 (resized).jpeg
Hi Deal Bonus Score relay (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

When my Hi-Deal round ends, the bonus score adds up one thousand per rotation of the score motor instead of 5000 point chunks (if achieved) very quickly as in every video I watch on YouTube. Theirs goes like this: ding ding ding ding ding - ding ding ding ding ding, ding done (when zero is reached). Mine goes: ding (score motor rotates), ding (score motor rotates), ding (score motor rotates), etc., until zero is reached.

When I press and hold in the Bonus Score relay, it will quickly add up the thousands (in 5000 increments if achieved) until zero is reached like in the videos. I'm not savvy at reading schematics, and have no idea what is out of adjustment for this. I've checked and cleaned all the score motor switches.

I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark P.

#2 2 years ago

If your Bonus Score relay doesn't fire when the ball drains, check the path in red on the right side:
Hi Deal Bonus Score relay (resized).jpgHi Deal Bonus Score relay (resized).jpg
If the Bonus Score relay fires but relaxes immediately check the path in black on the left side.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, it fires then relaxes immediately, then fires again when the motor spins one revolution, until the last bonus is collected. However, since I'm not yet fluent in reading schematics, I'm not sure what I'm looking at or looking for! I see that those two switches are open, but that's all I know.

What is supposed to trigger and hold the Bonus Score relay? That's the part I think I'm looking for, but not sure.

#4 2 years ago

If the Bonus Score relay fires it means that the path in red works. The circuit on the left in black is the lock in circuit for the Bonus Score relay. It should hold the Bonus Score Relay on until the bonus has been counted.

Once the Bonus Score relay has fired it should close its own lock in switch in the lock in path. Also in the lock in path is another switch on the Bonus Unit that should be closed until the bonus has counted down to the zero position. Together those two switches when closed should keep the Bonus Score relay active while the bonus counts down.

So if your Bonus Score relay does not stay active until the bonus reaches zero either its own lock in switch is not closing or the Bonus Unit zero position switch isn't closed when there is a bonus to count, or there's a wiring issue in that path.

#5 2 years ago

What you say makes complete sense to me. It's just a matter of me finding all the right relays is the problem. I can not locate the Bonus Score relay lock switch, but I'm not giving up! I think I've found the zero position switch, but some of the labels have come off of the machine, so I'm winging it. I'll work on it later tonight.

#6 2 years ago

The Bonus Unit is probably a step unit. If you manually advance it (by pushing the plunger into the step up solenoid and then releasing it) the lights that keep track of the bonus will probably advance too. If you manually reset it (doing the same thing with the other solenoid plunger) you'll eventually reach the zero position where the Zero switch should open.

The lock in switch will be on the Bonus Score relay itself and will have a short jumper wire between the lug of one leaf and the lug of the relay coil.

The schematic also offers wire colors to help verify the switches.

#7 2 years ago

Just so I'm on the same page, are these the parts we're talking about? The bonus wheel works as you describe when I manually press either of the two plungers. The wires look as they should (to me) on the Bonus Score relay from the schematic. I took apart the bonus wheel spider and cleaned and lubed it (with a bit of dielectric grease). It now randomly counts down rapidly like it's supposed to, but not very often. It's hit or miss. Getting closer.

IMG_1266 (resized).jpegIMG_1266 (resized).jpegIMG_1267 (resized).jpegIMG_1267 (resized).jpegIMG_1269 (resized).jpegIMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkP213:

The bonus wheel works as you describe when I manually press either of the two plungers... I took apart the bonus wheel spider and cleaned and lubed it (with a bit of dielectric grease).

You're looking for a switch that won't close. If the stepper is working grease won't help a switch close.

Quoted from MarkP213:

Just so I'm on the same page, are these the parts we're talking about?

I don't have the game but the schematic should tell you what you need to know.
Hi Deal Bonus Score relay picture (resized).jpgHi Deal Bonus Score relay picture (resized).jpg
On the left is the Bonus Score relay. The wire in the red box goes from the coil solder lug to the lock in switch. It looks like one of the wires on the switch is grey-black which would match the schematic. Is the other wire on that switch white-black as shown on the schematic? That would confirm that that is the lock in switch you're looking for.

On the right is what is presumably the Bonus Unit. When it steps down to zero a pin on the toothed gear should open a normally closed switch - probably the one in the red box. It should have the same white-black wire as the lock in switch on the Bonus Score relay on one side of the switch. The switch next to it that would also activate at zero looks like a Make/Break switch so that's probably not what you're looking for.

If your Bonus Score relay doesn't last through all 15 Bonus Count steps chances are that one or both of those switches isn't closing electrically. Closing visually doesn't count. If you have an alligator clip test lead you could jumper around one switch at a time to see if the circuit starts working. That would tell you whether the switch you bypassed is at fault. Or you could just clean both switches.

#9 2 years ago

I just had a Bally that was having bonus countdown issues. It took a good while to figure it out, but what it ended up being was the bonus unit zero switch. When bonus was at zero, the switch is open. As soon as bonus increases, then the switch closes. The issue was the switch was closed, but just barely. Meaning it looked closed when I examined it with the power off. But as soon as the bonus mechanism fired during the countdown cycle, I believe the mechanical movement caused the switch to open during the cycle. This made the machine logic say bonus was complete. I adjusted that zero switch to have a bit more force to keep the blades closed and the problem was solved. It took me a few hours to go through the whole bonus circuit and verify all the relays and cycles. I was thrilled to figure out the issue.

The point is, check your switch blades and their open gaps and closed force. I'm not saying adjust each one. NO! Look at the schematic and see what correlates and check those switch(es).

#10 2 years ago

Hi Mark,

Well that ended up being the same problem with my machine! With your previous troubleshooting suggestions, I ended up checking the zero switch. I unscrewed the zero switch stack to double check the wires with the schematic. When screwing it back down it would short and blow a fuse (it had done this before when slightly moving the bonus score wheel. I think it was touching an adjacent bulb socket). I readjusted the stack and socket, and everything is working as designed! Whoever "restored" this machine tightened the switch stack screws so tight on just about everything, it was causing problems everywhere. My previous post for help with incorrect scoring was also due to over tight switch stack screws on the score motor assembly - which I discovered accidentally.

Such a good feeling having it work correctly! Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions. I really learned a lot from this because of you, and will help me become better at reading schematics - I hope.

#11 2 years ago

Thank you too, Skydave. I played it for over an hour this afternoon and it’s working great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hi-deal-slow-bonus-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.