Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Londonlad5
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Star_Trek_PF.jpg
spock.gif
mirrorRight.jpg
mirrorLeft.jpg
TU3.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Not sure if this right place to post this but just registered and wanted to say howdy , am getting first pinball machine this coming weekend a sttng, have always wanted one as also big Trekkie.

Looking forward to applying some mods (have already ordered the undercab lighting from Chris and has sent already fantastic service thanks Chris) , any advice apart from it'll break down more often than not haha .

Cheers all
Gav

#2 5 years ago

Congrats and welcome to the community.

#3 5 years ago

get a pingulp

#5 5 years ago

Welcome to Pinside. Great website for owners. Great machine to chose as your first!

#6 5 years ago

cheers for the reply all , a pingulp?? what's that and where do me gets? ,

so whats the best mods to do then for a newby , i do like the custom back boards are they hard to change ?, i like to tinker with things but am not great at electronics to component level so anything to technical and i may have to cheat and call someone to assist

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonlad5:

Not sure if this right place to post this but just registered and wanted to say howdy , am getting first pinball machine this coming weekend a sttng, have always wanted one as also big Trekkie.
Looking forward to applying some mods (have already ordered the undercab lighting from Chris and has sent already fantastic service thanks Chris) , any advice apart from it'll break down more often than not haha .
Cheers all
Gav

STTNG was the first pin I got when I got back into the hobby. It's a great pin, you won't be disappointed. I put LEDs in mine, which make it look a lot brighter., and a lot better IMO.. Also, some play field spotlights help, as the play field can be dark and somewhat hard to see the ball if the room lights are off.

#8 5 years ago

hey dphelps,

yeah used to play on tng years ago in my youth lol was excellent and recently been playing on pinball arcade and re-found my love for it so thought why not and bought one , it has already been upgraded with full led kit got it from a guy in uk who seems to really know his pins and sells the led kits online , not sure about the playfield spotlights though i like the sound of these where would i find these chappies ?

thanks

#9 5 years ago

Great choice with STTNG-welcome to the club!

TU3.jpg
#10 5 years ago

Just sold mine after 3+ years. Great game. Can be a bit challenging to maintain, particularly for a new pinball owner. Post any problems here - you will bet some great advice for keeping it maintained.

Good luck and welcome.

#11 5 years ago

Get the manual and read it.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2357/Williams_1993_Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Operations_Manual_with_OCR.pdf

Buy a multimeter if you don't own one.

When you get the machine, pull each fuse, check for continuity and be sure to verify that the amp value is correct as per the manual.

Make sure power plug and line cord are not damaged and that it has the ground prong.

I'd do this regardless of the seller.

Have fun!

#12 5 years ago

congrats on your new game! welcome to the club!

STTNG is a wonderful game, but it is a little on the high-maintenance side. the most common problem is dirty optos resulting in weird behavior, such as balls getting lost, modes starting unexpectedly, or erroneous multiballs. clean the opto sensors with a little windex on a q-tip and that usually solves it.

as for mods, you can go as crazy as you want. here's a list of stuff you can look into:
- side mirrors *
- custom ships (people like to replace the stock ones with the Hallmark ornament versions, and rig them to light up)
- domed cannon lights
- laser sights on the cannons
- custom painted borg ship
- LED OCD* and GI OCD *
- ColorDMD *
- translucent rubbers
- Superbands
- Pin Butts
- Pin Gulp *
- Cliffy protectors *

* = highly recommended!

#13 5 years ago

I recommend bookmarking Marco's, pinball life and pinwiki. Good for parts and repair tips

http://www.marcospecialties.com/
http://www.pinballlife.com/
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

#14 5 years ago

thanks for all the replies and help guys , will definately look these up and bookmark given links, definately getting color dmd have found a site in uk selling them for £330 is this about right price for 1 of these?, must say do like the looks of the side mirrors do they look really good or a bit tacky?

cheers all

Gav

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonlad5:

thanks for all the replies and help guys , will definately look these up and bookmark given links, definately getting color dmd have found a site in uk selling them for £330 is this about right price for 1 of these?, must say do like the looks of the side mirrors do they look really good or a bit tacky?
cheers all
Gav

depends on the game, but for STTNG in particular, I think the side mirrors look awesome.

mirrorLeft.jpg

mirrorRight.jpg

#17 5 years ago

trekkie is from nj i believe. are you from nj? what town?

#18 5 years ago

So Gav what is your next game?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

So Gav what is your next game?

Funny cause it's true! He is starting with a great title that will hold his interest for a while. Months?

Welcome aboard!

#20 5 years ago

Welcome good sir! Always nice to have another on board

Pssst get this - http://pinballbulbs.com/products/star-trek-the-next-generation-full-led-kit

More Importantly - Fantastic first pick up, you will definitely enjoy it!

Star_Trek_PF.jpg
#21 5 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Funny cause it's true! He is starting with a great title that will hold his interest for a while. Months?
Welcome aboard!

Yep! I always thought a good t-shirt would be "Pinball - I would've been better off hooked on drugs" yeah need to add the sarcasm guy so people dont think......

#22 5 years ago

Make more room.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

Welcome good sir! Always nice to have another on board
Pssst get this - http://pinballbulbs.com/products/star-trek-the-next-generation-full-led-kit
More Importantly - Fantastic first pick up, you will definitely enjoy it!

Star_Trek_PF.jpg 139 KB

Amazing how some games the LEDs just make it !!! Some other games look blah with LEDs. I know POTC is one game that LEDs look great in it!!

Gav, welcome to the hobby!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Amazing how some games the LEDs just make it !!! Some other games look blah with LEDs. I know POTC is one game that LEDs look great in it!!
Gav, welcome to the hobby!

totally agree. sttng and potc look awesome with LEDs.

#25 5 years ago

Cheers guys , I'm itching for weekend to come , haha I doubt the mrs would let me but you never know she spotted the wizard of oz machine and said can't we get that one instead but I want me tng table and who knows in future they may come down in price?, the machine is fully led'd up already and I've ordered the undercab lighting already from rock customs so it's already begun Haha, have seen so many things today I want to order but sensible head says a little at a time , are these machines holding there value then I got mine for 2600 pounds which looking around doesn't seem too bad

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonlad5:

haha I doubt the mrs would let me but

It's better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!

#27 5 years ago

Haha I like your thinking mate

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonlad5:

are these machines holding there value then I got mine for 2600 pounds which looking around doesn't seem too bad

it's a weird time for pinball! the last decade has seen a dramatic rise, but nobody knows what the future holds price-wise for 90s Williams titles! My advice would be to look at them as incredibly fun luxury toys that have the perk of generally holding their value, or at least not losing much. I would not count on them going up in value significantly, or use them as an investment strategy. just my advice / opinion.

Having said that, STTNG has as good a chance of holding its value as any, though, for a variety of reasons: parts are available, the game is one of the most advanced for its time, the theme is extraordinarily well-done (full cast custom callouts! Patrick Stewart shouting "All hands prepare for multiball!") and relatively popular (there are some real "WTF" themes out there), it's a classic Steve Ritchie design, and it's very popular with pinheads and non-pinheads alike.

STTNG is a game that will always be desirable, but it's not immune to whatever direction the overall pinball market takes in the next few years.

#29 5 years ago

yeah i doubt i'd be looking to sell it at anytime anyway i think it would be a permanent part of my collection once i've completed all the mods etc , one I really want is the custom sound rom with the funny cast quips but cannot seem to find anywhere in the uk that does them anyone have any knowledge of where i can get these ?

thanks all

Gav

#30 5 years ago

Never played stng before. Does it have a Mott the barber Wizard mode?

#31 5 years ago

it does but it does shave some point of your overall score!!!

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonlad5:

Cheers all
Gav

Congrats on your first game and welcome to the madness. Thanks for your order, pm me if you have any questions. Leds go great in the title, I would look into the led ocd board and a color dmd. Great suppliers here for leds Comet, Pinball bulbs, and cointaker. Enjoy!

-Chris

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Congrats on your first game and welcome to the madness. Thanks for your order, pm me if you have any questions. Leds go great in the title, I would look into the led ocd board and a color dmd. Great suppliers here for leds Comet, Pinball bulbs, and cointaker. Enjoy!
-Chris

Color DMD on this is fantastic, I second that. Rock's flasher mods are really awesome as well, tie in some cool effects.

#34 5 years ago

Sorry for late reply all been hectic few days , well it won't be here today after all delivery guy been hectic too and won't be here until Tuesday now the wait is killing me ,

Ahhh next game well I was looking at building one of them virtual machines as hav already got screens and comp all setup with tables just need to build a cab now , space is limited so as long as I've got my one real machine I can make do with the virtual for other games .

So far i have on order :

Rocks custom undercab lighting
Playfield Spotlights
Domed cannon covers
Target decals

Next pay day will be color dmd and mirrors with custom backboard decal
was liking the look of the Borg one ,

Also I have seen the custom apron on a German website that lights up
With the next gen logo but it says not available do any of you know where I can get this from?

Thanks
Gav

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside