VideoCapture_20220801-185017 (resized).jpg
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220728_195424 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20220725_210410 (resized).jpg
20220725_181143 (resized).jpg
20220725_223903 (resized).jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Greetings, I have a Gottlieb HH System 80. After doing a bunch of reading there seems to be some recommended modifications and/or upgrades that should be done to this machine. As far as I can tell few if any have been made. BTW the battery had been previously removed and the board mitigated from alkaline corrosion.

Specifically referencing the PinWiki for System 80: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Problems_and_Solutions

It suggests making ground updates, replacing filtering capacitor, rebuilding the power supply board, etc.

Now I come from the line of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". So my question would be how needed or how strongly recommended should these modifications/upgrades be? For example if there is a modification that is quick easy and could save the entire machine from failure that seems like a valid reason to undertake the upgrade. Modifying or replacing something because it might cause a small failure down the road would not seem like a worthwhile endeavor.

Suggestions Appreciated!
Thanks!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Now I come from the line of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". So my question would be how needed or how strongly recommended should these modifications/upgrades be? For example if there is a modification that is quick easy and could save the entire machine from failure that seems like a valid reason to undertake the upgrade. Modifying or replacing something because it might cause a small failure down the road would not seem like a worthwhile endeavor.

All the preventative measures are necessary to ensure a reliable playing game--grounding updates, filter cap, power supply caps. As long as you do all those correctly, they should not cause any sort of failure or delayed failure.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

All the preventative measures are necessary to ensure a reliable playing game--grounding updates, filter cap, power supply caps. As long as you do all those correctly, they should not cause any sort of failure or delayed failure.

Thanks for the reply. I am not a electronics pro but am capable enough. I am attempting to analyze risk/reward. I am fairly sure the risk of replacing the filter capacitor is minimal and the reward is worth the risk. I am uncertain about other upgrades/modifications. For example it sounds like the ground updates is a relatively easy undertaking with the reward of reliable grounding but I am not completely familiar with the process.

If the risk of an upgrade/modification is not worth the reward I would like to get opinions of such. Basically which modifications/upgrades have a low risk/high reward? I want to avoid high risk/low reward upgrades unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Thanks for the reply. I am not a electronics pro but am capable enough. I am attempting to analyze risk/reward. I am fairly sure the risk of replacing the filter capacitor is minimal and the reward is worth the risk. I am uncertain about other upgrades/modifications. For example it sounds like the ground updates is a relatively easy undertaking with the reward of reliable grounding but I am not completely familiar with the process.
If the risk of an upgrade/modification is not worth the reward I would like to get opinions of such. Basically which modifications/upgrades have a low risk/high reward? I want to avoid high risk/low reward upgrades unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks!

I would say low risk on all of it.

There's not a lot you can foul up. Some basic soldering and wire crimping, and making sure the caps are install in the correct direction, and that's about it.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I would say low risk on all of it.
There's not a lot you can foul up. Some basic soldering and wire crimping, and making sure the caps are install in the correct direction, and that's about it.

Are there any other recommended modifications not mentioned in the wiki I would want to perform? I am replacing the missing battery with a super cap after overcoating the exposed traces as per my other post you replied on. The Zep seemed to work great. Super odd putting toilet bowl cleaner on a PCB.. LOL.

I do have some other very minor (minor to me) issues that I will make other post about to keep threads from getting muddied.

Thanks for your input.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Super odd putting toilet bowl cleaner on a PCB.. LOL.

Yeah, but it's all about using the proper PH to counteract the alkaline, and that's something easy to find and use.

Quoted from stvns78:

Are there any other recommended modifications not mentioned in the wiki I would want to perform?

On the lower playfield, change the GI from 28v to 6v, so you can get rid of the #313 lamps, and use standard #44/#47 lamps instead. If you're using LEDs, this is basically a must.

#7 1 year ago

Preventative maintenance is important on games that are 40+ years old. A lot of the important electrical components (electrolytic caps and connector pins especially) are waaaaaay past their manufactured/intended life span

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Preventative maintenance is important on games that are 40+ years old. A lot of the important electrical components (electrolytic caps and connector pins especially) are waaaaaay past their manufactured/intended life span

Bought a 4800 50v and a 6800 50v alum cap to replace the two original filter caps from Digikey. Going to perform the ground mods. I do have the occasional thunk but I am not comfortable performing the mod based on the limited documentation I have found. Clipping the pins on the ICs makes me very nervous. Might just buy a new driver board on Pinballlife.com vs jacking with the factory driver board.

Thanks!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Bought a 4800 50v and a 6800 50v alum cap to replace the two original filter caps from Digikey. Going to perform the ground mods. I do have the occasional thunk but I am not comfortable performing the mod based on the limited documentation I have found. Clipping the pins on the ICs makes me very nervous. Might just buy a new driver board on Pinballlife.com vs jacking with the factory driver board.
Thanks!

I would just ignore the thunk, personally. Only happens on bootup. Also you could have gone up in uf rating on those caps and have been fine.

#11 1 year ago

Biggest problems I have with the system 80 stuff are the displays acting flakey and some of the sounds not being right. Cleaning the connectors on the display/MPU and the sound board connector is only a very short term fix for both problems. Anybody have the forever fix for both issues?

John

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Bought a 4800 50v and a 6800 50v alum cap to replace the two original filter caps from Digikey. Going to perform the ground mods. I do have the occasional thunk but I am not comfortable performing the mod based on the limited documentation I have found.

I did the basic grounding stuff many years ago to my BH, making sure a ground wire is connected directly at every board. Just wire+screws+bolts, and one wire end soldered to a ground spot on the MPU board, no big deal. Didn't touch any chips. Never had a thunk or a coil lock on since.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Biggest problems I have with the system 80 stuff are the displays acting flakey and some of the sounds not being right. Cleaning the connectors on the display/MPU and the sound board connector is only a very short term fix for both problems. Anybody have the forever fix for both issues?
John

Did you do the ground mods, replace the filter cap(s) and actually repin the connectors? I have a Mars and have never had this problem, once I got it up 100%

#14 1 year ago

Completed the gound mods on each board, back to the ground plate in the cabinet.

Replaced the two caps with like for like on the uF except the 25v went up to a 50v.

Works the same.

So here are my remaining issues.

I bought a super cap from Amazon for the 5105. Went to install it. According to documentation the arrow points to the negative. Soldered it on to the MPU. Before putting it back in I decided to double check to make sure the polarity was correct. Set the MM to Ohms, red to + black to -..... nothing. Switched it started climbing.... tested voltage red to + black to -... got a negative voltage reading. Removed it and not sure if it's me or the cap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M1RG5RC

Many of the lamps and in particular the 24v 313s dim ever so slightly when the flippers are engaged, probably unnoticeable to just about everyone.... but me. Correct me if I am wrong but neither one of those filter caps I just replaced would have anything to do with that correct? Another person who played it a couple of days ago mentioned the dimming when the old caps were still present but I had not noticed it until I replaced the caps. If it's not the caps what could it be? If it is the caps would a higher capacitance help? My understanding it's best to keep the capacitance as close to spec as possible but I am certainly no expert.

Lastly when I first turn it on there is a slight audible hum on one or both of the speakers that goes away after play 30 seconds. Anything to be concerned about or just ignore it?

Other than these issues she runs like a champ. I am considering doing the mod to the 313s to make them 44s but I am searching for pics and unable to find them.

Also I find the background music annoying and was hoping there was a way to turn the background music down whilst keeping the play sounds higher. I noticed the two potentiometers on the sound board and figured one was for play sounds and the other for background..... nope. R15 controls both play and background sounds. I am aware of the main volume potentiometer in the cabinet but was hoping R16 was for background. It must be for speech which HH does not have. I just flipped the dip to turn the background music off. Anyone know of a way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Oh yeah please ignore my crappy soldering. LOL

20220725_181143 (resized).jpg20220725_181143 (resized).jpg20220725_210410 (resized).jpg20220725_210410 (resized).jpg20220725_223903 (resized).jpg20220725_223903 (resized).jpg

#15 1 year ago

Speaker hum and flippers dimming lights is common on a lot of different types of pinball machines

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

I bought a super cap from Amazon for the 5105. Went to install it. According to documentation the arrow points to the negative. Soldered it on to the MPU. Before putting it back in I decided to double check to make sure the polarity was correct. Set the MM to Ohms, red to + black to -..... nothing. Switched it started climbing.... tested voltage red to + black to -... got a negative voltage reading. Removed it and not sure if it's me or the cap.
amazon.com link »

Any thoughts on the super cap issue?

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Any thoughts on the super cap issue?

The arrow points to the negative terminal.
Also, each terminal on the SuperCap is stamped with either + or -.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#18 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

The arrow points to the negative terminal.
Also, each terminal on the SuperCap is stamped with either + or -
--
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info[quoted image]

That's exactly what I thought but I am confused why I am getting a negative voltage reading from the positive side and an increasing Ohms reading from the negative side

#19 1 year ago

So I installed it and now the game does not reliably boot up with it on or off the board

Sometimes when I turn it on it will just hum and display a "t" in the credit spot. I unsoldered the cap as that was the only change I made and the problem persists..... but hey at least when it does boot up I have my credits and high scores saved.

I re-reinstalled the cap. Wondering if the cap is a red herring.

20220728_195424 (resized).jpg20220728_195424 (resized).jpg
#20 1 year ago

If it isn't reliably booting it could be a connector issue, may have bumped the pot for 5V so that is off, or maybe flexing the board cracked the solder in a via loose. From the picture it looks like the black tantalum capacitor has part of the body cracked off and a few resistors have the coating chipped off. Several of the vias appear to have corrosion so those are questionable. I'd probably clean those out and use thin wire wrap wire to make a stitch onto the trace on each side. For the ones just below that supercap I'l just use three small jumpers. I don't trust any that look like that. On these boards I've been running either NVRAM or a larger 4F memory cap with good results. The 1F cap should work fine. I just prefer the larger one since it should hold the settings longer.

#21 1 year ago

So I think I just bricked my baby. In my quest to troubleshoot the issue I removed the PROM thinking a bad connection and I installed it incorrectly and turned it on. It just started blinking all the lights. After realizing my mistake I put the PROM back in correctly but I think it's too late. It still just blinks all the lights when I turn it back on

Just placed an order for brand new Rottendog MPU, Driver, and Power boards. All three probably could use replacing anyway. The driver board had a couple of really bad burn spots. The MPU has corrosion damage and now a bad PROM...

I will take this as a learning experience... a very costly one

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

So I installed it and now the game does not reliably boot up with it on or off the board
Sometimes when I turn it on it will just hum and display a "t" in the credit spot. I unsoldered the cap as that was the only change I made and the problem persists..... but hey at least when it does boot up I have my credits and high scores saved.
I re-reinstalled the cap. Wondering if the cap is a red herring.
[quoted image]

That photo shows damage from a battery that leaked. That would likely need to be addressed before moving forward too much.

Quoted from stvns78:

So I think I just bricked my baby. In my quest to troubleshoot the issue I removed the PROM thinking a bad connection and I installed it incorrectly and turned it on. It just started blinking all the lights. After realizing my mistake I put the PROM back in correctly but I think it's too late. It still just blinks all the lights when I turn it back on

That will kill the eprom/prom (since the wrong pin would be receiving voltage where it's unexpected), but the rest of the board(s) shouldn't be affected by that.

Burning/Installing a new eprom would get you back to where you were.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That photo shows damage from a battery that leaked. That would likely need to be addressed before moving forward too much.

That will kill the eprom/prom (since the wrong pin would be receiving voltage where it's unexpected), but the rest of the board(s) shouldn't be affected by that.
Burning/Installing a new eprom would get you back to where you were.

I was considering replacing the boards with new ones anyway then rehabbing the old ones as backups. I saw where you can flash a new EPROM but between the cost of the flash machine and rehab costs, time, etc I figured it would be best to go new. In the future I will rehab the old MPU with a flashed eprom.

Thanks

#24 1 year ago

Looks like I can get a EPROM burner on Amazon for about 100 bucks. Can get used 2716 ICs for about 5 bucks. And there is a French site that has the ROMs. Is this the way to go?

I am running under the assumption that the original EPROM I messed up is complete toast meaning I cannot reprogram it correct?

Thanks!

#25 1 year ago

I’ve been able to erase and re-write to EEPROMS that I’ve plugged in backwards before, but those were much larger and newer chips. I would get a couple of new chips if I were you. Also make sure the writer you get supports 2716s. They need a higher voltage to enable the write function than newer chips.

#26 1 year ago

If your part of a pinball community where you're at in TX I'm sure someone has a burner and would happily loan it to you. Hell, if you want I'll send you my burner if you kick me a few bucks for shipping.
As for that French site that has the roms it is definitely legit. https://www.flipprojets.fr/Freeplay_EN.php
There is a guy on pinside that has most all gottlieb rom sets. Not sure he would appreciate getting called out publicly. I'll DM you his info. If it were me I wouldn't pay for preburnt roms. Owning a rom burner has come in pretty handy. Everything I learned about rom burning came from this video

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the rom files on virtual pinball sites are usable also and can be burnt to roms.

#27 1 year ago

Your MPU is entirely repairable.
The alkaline corrosion must be abated properly. If not, then the corrosion will return.
I can take care of the board if you'd like.

If you take it on yourself, you can ease the job by using a modern reset generator as described here at the link below. I just added a new diagram to show what should be removed, what needs to stay, and where to add jumpers.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Using_a_Reset_Generator_for_the_CPU_Reset_Section

The most important System 80 issues are...
...edge connectors. They need to be clean and shiny. Re-tin them rather than sanding to bare copper. Re-pin the female connectors if they have been impacted.
...ground modifications (also explained in the PinWiki).
..."Big Orange", the cap in the cabinet.

Good Luck!
--

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

The alkaline corrosion must be abated properly. If not, then the corrosion will return.
If you take it on yourself, you can ease the job by using a modern reset generator as described here at the link below. I just added a new diagram to show what should be removed, what needs to stay, and where to add jumpers.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Using_a_Reset_Generator_for_the_CPU_Reset_Section
...edge connectors. They need to be clean and shiny. Re-tin them rather than sanding to bare copper. Re-pin the female connectors if they have been impacted.
Good Luck!
--

I have abated the alkaline with Zep. Everything was working great until I pulled the board to install that super cap and then everything went sideways. Not saying the supercap cause the issue but I probably cracked a trace when I removed the board or something. I have replaced the cabinet Caps, and did the ground mods. The only two issues I had remaining was L19 not functioning and no battery for the memory and now today I have a non working game.

I have already purchased a new Rottendog MPU, Driver, and PS. My plan is to rehab all the old boards and keep them as backups. If i cant get them to work right I will have someone else rehab them but I think I can manage it... assuming I take care to plug things in the proper direction

BTW the Pinball community has been the most helpful and patient group I have been a part of. Fantastic people that don't treat newbs like morons but are very helpful and nice.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

I have abated the alkaline with Zep. Everything was working great until I pulled the board to install that super cap and then everything went sideways. Not saying the supercap cause the issue but I probably cracked a trace when I removed the board or something. I have replaced the cabinet Caps, and did the ground mods. The only two issues I had remaining was L19 not functioning and no battery for the memory and now today I have a non working game.

Abating the Alkaline with Zep is a good start but often not enough if you want that MPU to last. Also doesn't help with the solder filling the in VIA's between the top and bottom. Besides treating I usually have to scrape off the corrosion with an exacto and then I use one of the scotch bright pads on dremel wheels to get nice shiny copy. Others use sandpaper but my preference is to avoid that. I retin exposed copper to protect vs painting over it.

I agree with Chris that is totally fixible and cleaner that some of the boards I've fixed. A good start would be to check/verify the contents of your EPROM. If corrupt try erasing and reprogramming. If it won't program then the chip may be toast after plugging in backwards.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

I have abated the alkaline with Zep.

Well, that might make a slight dent in the corrosion, but it doesn't get nearly all of what is required. It's a topical treatment for a deeply embedded problem.

Zep, Mustard, Toilet Bowl Cleaner, bead blasting...none of them do the job properly.
Here is the only way to ensure that corrosion is abated forever.

--

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

I have already purchased a new Rottendog MPU, Driver, and PS.

shoulda gone with Ni-Wumpf or Pascal. Also, have you repinned any of the connectors? That's a must on these Gottliebs

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

shoulda gone with Ni-Wumpf or Pascal. Also, have you repinned any of the connectors? That's a must on these Gottliebs

Could you elaborate on why Pacal or Ni-Wumpf is better please?

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Could you elaborate on why Pacal or Ni-Wumpf is better please?

Better customer service, more reliable boards. Rottendog can be hit and miss

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Better customer service, more reliable boards. Rottendog can be hit and miss

The pascal is the only other option I can find in stock. But it sounds like I would still need to use the original PS?

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

The pascal is the only other option I can find in stock. But it sounds like I would still need to use the original PS?

https://www.flippp.fr/pi80.php
This one will replace all boards except the sound board I believe

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

https://www.flippp.fr/pi80.php
This one will replace all boards except the sound board I believe

After reading a bunch of threads I am convinced. I placed an order for the Pascal and will return the rottens when i get them... thanks

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

After reading a bunch of threads I am convinced. I placed an order for the Pascal and will return the rottens when i get them... thanks

I know some of the Rottendog boards have had their ups and downs but haven't heard of any issues with their MPU and driver boards for the System 80. Are there any specific issues to watch out for?

I tend to go with original power boards and end up rebuilding those. Have all original power in my games.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Knxwledge
I have not repinned the connectors but have seriously thought about it. I have examined most of the edge connectors and they all look pretty decent and I was not having any connection issues before I bricked it. What do you think about deoxit for a cleaning and protection?

It seems great plains is no longer a viable place to get cheap connector pins at this time. Macro is about 2.5x the price. Any other good place to get the pins. Also what is the best way to remove the previous pin as I would be reusing the housing? I have seen there is a tool but that tool seems unreasonable expensive.

Also the A12P4 3x5 molex was smashed and partial broken when I got it. I straightened the pins back out and connected it and all seems fine but that is the one I would repin. I have been unable to locate that specific connector. I assume any 3x5 molex that accept the AWG size would suffice such as this? I really only need to repin the male 3x5 connector. The female is fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NK8R22H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7

BTW I bought a GQ-4X V4 to burn a new EPROM. Going to try to reburn the original, if that doesnt work I had already placed an order for 4 used ones and will burn one of them.

Thanks y'all!

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Knxwledge
I have not repinned the connectors but have seriously thought about it. I have examined most of the edge connectors and they all look pretty decent and I was not having any connection issues before I bricked it. What do you think about deoxit for a cleaning and protection?
It seems great plains is no longer a viable place to get cheap connector pins at this time. Macro is about 2.5x the price. Any other good place to get the pins. Also what is the best way to remove the previous pin as I would be reusing the housing? I have seen there is a tool but that tool seems unreasonable expensive.
Also the A12P4 3x5 molex was smashed and partial broken when I got it. I straightened the pins back out and connected it and all seems fine but that is the one I would repin. I have been unable to locate that specific connector. I assume any 3x5 molex that accept the AWG size would suffice such as this? I really only need to repin the male 3x5 connector. The female is fine.
amazon.com link »
BTW I bought a GQ-4X V4 to burn a new EPROM. Going to try to reburn the original, if that doesnt work I had already placed an order for 4 used ones and will burn one of them.
Thanks y'all!

White connector pins not on power supply: (the ones labeled "For System One Pins")
https://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/Gottlieb/system%2080.htm
http://www.pbresource.com/molex.html

Interconnect (black) pins:
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/pinball-kits-parts/pinball-parts/bifurcated-edge-connector-split-pins-18-24-awg-100-pack-me1004/
(this is the only place I know of that sells these for any sort of reasonable price)

Power supply pins are standard 0.156" molex crimps, used in many other pinball machines:
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/pinball-kits-parts/pinball-parts/molex-156-trifurcon-pins-female-18-20-awg-loose-100-pack-ca1007/
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/pinball-kits-parts/pinball-parts/molex-156-trifurcon-pins-female-22-26-awg-loose-100-pack-ca1008/
(this might not be the cheapest vendor for these, shop around they are extremely common)

Docent sells an economy removal tool, might wanna get two in case you break one. If you repin the interconnect and keep the original wiring, I had problems with the wiring being too short after repinning both sides (on a Mars God of War, HH might be different), so you'll either have to put in new wiring (Docent sells a kit thats wires pre-crimped, you provide the connector housings) or drill new holes and mount the pcb standoffs for the MPU lower. It's not necessary to repin every single connector, I think repinning the interconnect and power connectors is a good start, then do the rest as necessary.

Also, idk where you found Gottlieb pinball ROMs but keep it on the downlow, the company that owns Gottlieb is extremely protective of their copyright (fuck them). You normally cannot find any manuals or ROMs freely available online.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Well, that might make a slight dent in the corrosion, but it doesn't get nearly all of what is required. It's a topical treatment for a deeply embedded problem.
Zep, Mustard, Toilet Bowl Cleaner, bead blasting...none of them do the job properly.
Here is the only way to ensure that corrosion is abated forever.

--

Watched the video, very nice detail.

Would you think the area circled in red would be all I would need to detach and get new? Can I abate the ICs or is it best to get new?

So unsolder, remove as much excess solder as possible, sand area with 150 then 400, rinse with water and isopropyl, solder on new parts, overcoat traces, maybe reflow some pins? That about do it?

Thanks!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
#41 1 year ago

You might as well go all the way and remove the whole reset section. There is a new diagram in the PinWiki which shows which parts to remove to retain. You will need to pick up a reset generator as explained in the PinWiki.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Watched the video, very nice detail.
Would you think the area circled in red would be all I would need to detach and get new? Can I abate the ICs or is it best to get new?
So unsolder, remove as much excess solder as possible, sand area with 150 then 400, rinse with water and isopropyl, solder on new parts, overcoat traces, maybe reflow some pins? That about do it?
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

I would use solder to re-tin each of the fingers on the edge connector. Afterwards you can use a good quality solder wick (starting from the inner part of the board and drag it to the outside edge of the board. With practice it can leave the perfect amount and a nice tinned surface. Afterwards wipe with rubbing alcohol. Then lightly go over with a fiberglass pen and then pink eraser.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

You might as well go all the way and remove the whole reset section. There is a new diagram in the PinWiki which shows which parts to remove to retain. You will need to pick up a reset generator as explained in the PinWiki.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

After studying the reset generator it does indeed seem to be the easier and better way to go since I am removing most of those parts anyway. A few jumpers and a reset generator and whalla!

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Good Luck!
--

The DS1811-10 reset generator is obsolete as it seems. Would the DS1811-10+T&R be fine. DigiKey says its a direct sub.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc-maxim-integrated/DS1811-10-T-R/957029

#45 1 year ago

DigiKey won't ship singles of that part, but it would work.
The alternative part, MCP130-460DI/TO-ND, DigiKey doesn't stock and Mouser is out of them.
If you can't find one at your favorite supplier, I'll send you one. No biggie at all.
--

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

DigiKey won't ship singles of that part, but it would work.
The alternative part, MCP130-460DI/TO-ND, DigiKey doesn't stock and Mouser is out of them.
If you can't find one at your favorite supplier, I'll send you one. No biggie at all.
--

I was able to get all the parts to rebuild it online. I also bought parts to rebuild the PS and spare transistors for the Driver board just in case.
I am going to give the good ole college try. If I fail I will send it for you to repair since you have been very helpful.

Thanks!

#47 1 year ago

Muhahahha! She lives again!!!

I UV erased the original EPROM for 30 minutes, was able to read and verify all sectors were FF but it wont let me write it. I wrote the ROM to another 2716 I had and it worked fine. Wondering what the manufacturer of the original is and if that matters. Perhaps I cooked the original 2716

VideoCapture_20220801-185017 (resized).jpgVideoCapture_20220801-185017 (resized).jpg

#48 1 year ago

Yep. The original ROM is cooked.
Well done on the new "burn".
--

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

The DS1811-10 reset generator is obsolete as it seems. Would the DS1811-10+T&R be fine. DigiKey says its a direct sub.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc-maxim-integrated/DS1811-10-T-R/957029

FWIW - I got my MCP130-460DI/TO (direct substitute) on Amazon last year for about $5 incl. shipping. Worked great so I got a second one for my anti-thunk driver board modification.

Still available: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZV9CB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

#50 1 year ago

I was reading the Maxim DS1233 is a suitable alternative to the MCP130-460. Can someone confirm this? The spec sheet seems to match very closely to the 130.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc-maxim-integrated/DS1233D-10-T-R/956854

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hh-system-80-upgrades-and-modifications?hl=stvns78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.