(Topic ID: 202994)

HH - System 80 - Sound/Speech PSU - going bad?

By bklossner

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bklossner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HH_Sound_Speech_PCB_2448x1428 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bklossner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

So, I'm getting ready to re-cap the Sound board to my Haunted House. I was poking around to see what else to add to the Mouser order and happened to look at the PSU for the sound board...

Umm, all of the diodes (CR1 and CR4-7) look like they are getting ready to fail. I have not taken my DMM to test them as I don't want to start a project *right now* but, bleh, look at 'em!

Everything works fine (this sweetheart is bulletproof) but I have noticed the sound has becoming more distorted over the past year (hence the re-capping project).

I have attached an image of the ugliness. I'll probably replace all of the diodes but just wanted to share this to see if my hunch is correct that these are on the way to failure.

Note, I'm quite sure these are original factory components. I know the electrolytics definitely need to be replaced.

Bleep bloop.

-Bob

HH_Sound_Speech_PCB_2448x1428 (resized).jpgHH_Sound_Speech_PCB_2448x1428 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Cooooool. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll leave the diodes alone for a while.

Thanks for the head's up about the pads. I have re-capped a lot of electronics in the past few years (pins and video game consoles) so I'm definitely aware of the perils of lifting pads. I learned this the hard way when I was first getting into fixing stuff. Unfortunately, the victim was my brother-in-law's Sega Genesis.

It's ugly, but it works, and that's fine by me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
3,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gettysburg, PA
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Johnston, IA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bklossner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hh-system-80-soundspeech-psu-going-bad?tu=bklossner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.