You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HH_ProBowl_-_working.png
DropTargetMock_(Medium).png
HH_ProBowl.png
#1 12 years ago

Now that I have a Hollywood Heat donor pin, I've begun trying to apply some of my theme ideas. Unfortunately none of the really cool themes seem to fit well. The one theme I've found that fits is

Pro Bowl. It was going to be Super Bowl, but the existing pf controls and such favor pro bowl.

Below is some of the design work I did this weekend including a mock up of the drop targets. I could probably get sued for the copyright violations just in the mock up, so I'll have to consider how far "fair use" can get me in a one-off.

HH_ProBowl.pngHH_ProBowl.png DropTargetMock_(Medium).pngDropTargetMock_(Medium).png

#2 12 years ago

If it's your machine you can do whatever the F you want to it. No one is going to sue you hahaha

#3 12 years ago

Saw the title, thought it was a Haunted House re-theme...

#4 12 years ago

I LOVE it. I wouldn't think it would be a problem doing the change to your own machine..?

I wish I had the thought processes that some of you have on this site. I couldn't come up with something like that in a year of thinking

#5 12 years ago

Looks pretty cool, I really like your drop target art. Keep us up to date with your progress.

Quoted from dieseldogpi:

Saw the title, thought it was a Haunted House re-theme...

I thought the same thing

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from SunsetPinball:

I really like your drop target art.

Of course I can't take the credit - They're LeRoy Neiman paintings - so I can get lawyer letters from them as well as NFL

Not sure I could strip a Haunted House. It both plays and looks better than a Hollywood Heat.

#7 12 years ago

Brilliant idea for a theme and the drop target look fantastic!! Can't wait to see it finished.

#8 12 years ago

What program did you use for the playfield mockup? Looks good.

#9 12 years ago

Looks very cool, good luck with the it. Keep us posted on the progress.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Kane:

What program did you use for the playfield mockup? Looks good

I lifted the pf layout from a pdf of the manual and used Gimp for the mock-up work. I'm not as proficient as I used to be (or with this tool) so I'm struggling getting some of the other design aspects (field markings, tropical flowers under HAWAII) down because the masks just don't seem to be working for me. Essentially anything that'd need to be under/masked by an insert is holding me up. I'm liable to have to go back and start again with all the pf components on a separate layer as the pf.

#11 12 years ago

Hypothetically, could you get sued for making a custom pin? I know it seems silly, but is it possible? One of the first things everyone asks me about my 'custom in progress' when they see it is "Aren't you worried about getting sued?" I've mostly dismissed it, but there's so much hoopla in the media these days about copyright. Would a studio or artist actually ever waste their time/money going after a custom pin maker?

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Would a studio or artist actually ever waste their time/money going after a custom pin maker?

Probably not by Neiman estate. NFL - maybe. I don't know how strong even "fair use" could go if someone pushed hard enough. The best approach is to stay under the radar. I think if I build it for my collection - and even if I sell it to another collector - I'd be OK as long as it wasn't out in the public eye (I'll even mention their rights under the apron). But as you hint, you never know.

Obvious the best way to get noticed would be to route or show it in any commercial venture. While I'm not going to do so, what about someone I might sell it to down the road. If they route it and get knicked for it, what are the liabilities if they use the SODDit defense?

Yeah, I like the "oh, fuck it" approach as well. This theme just seems to work the more I look at it and the rule set.

#13 12 years ago

don't care for the theme, but hollywood heat is a great layout to start with. I always love seeing people re-theme machines, no matter what it is. good luck with it.

#14 12 years ago

I have the layer problem solved. Updated pic with a more appropriate background. I'm not sure if I like the varied background of this one (this is a low qlty for test), or the solid color background, like the one above, with well defined field markings. Now I need to start add the "artistic touch" - and will be quickly out of my element. Planning some tropical flowers behind the HAWAII, X and O play patterns. bumper area will be the blitz pattern. yadda yadda yadda

HH_ProBowl_-_working.pngHH_ProBowl_-_working.png

#15 12 years ago

Wow very kool! i cant wait to see the finished product!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hh-retheme-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.