Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Scucci_
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

Got a HH that had a weak coil kicking up to the top playfield (attic). I replaced the coil, now I can't start a game.

I've checked all the fuses and they all test out good with my DMM, voltages seem to be correct, everything seems to be just peachy... but when I go to start a game the attract mode just freezes and it just sits there.

On top of that the coil I just changed (#2) doesn't pop in test mode.

Sooo... I'm having all kinds of fun over here.

Any tips or suggestions?

#2 4 months ago

Disconnect the new coil. Does it start a game now?

Look for bent lugs shorting to a switch or lamp near where you worked.

#3 4 months ago

Disconnected the coil and it still wouldn't start. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Also didn't see anything shorted near where I worked, or anything under it (in case a little glob of solder fell).

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from Scucci_:

Disconnected the coil and it still wouldn't start. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Also didn't see anything shorted near where I worked, or anything under it (in case a little glob of solder fell).

were you working on the game while it was powered on?

#5 4 months ago

Nope, she was off but plugged in as I use using the service outlet. But she was off.

#6 4 months ago
Quoted from Scucci_:

Nope, she was off but plugged in as I use using the service outlet. But she was off.

ok,when you start her up after 5 or 6 seconds do you hear the clicking sound and the displays go off and on quickly?

#7 4 months ago

The displays just come on and stay on. They show 0's, then the scores and keeps cycling like that. The relays click as the bottom playfield is shown and hidden. The playfield lamps keep cycling their normal patterns and the attract sounds still kick in if you leave it running.

But as soon as you push the start button, it immediately freezes (minus the lightning flashing on the backbox, that keeps going).

#8 4 months ago

Anyone have anything?

#9 4 months ago

Have you replaced the many edge connectors going to the boards? Does the game have ground mods done? Those are 2 things *every* system 80 game needs done sooner or later.

Have you checked voltage at the test points on the power supply board?

#10 4 months ago

Ball in the trough?

#11 4 months ago

The ground mods are already done, I haven't done anything with the edge connectors though. They look to be in good shape though.

I've checked the voltages and they checked out good.

No ball in trough when I'm working on it, but there is when I try to start a game.

I was probing the boards a couple of days ago and when I go to start a game, everything freezes. It's like you just pressed a pause button, everything just hangs. Sometimes you'll get one of the game sounds when it happens. Sometimes it's silent.

I decided to just fix the coil not working in tests just to get SOMETHING fixed on it. For sol. 2 it's on pin 13 with it's sol.gnd on pin 10. The schematic shows the gnd and power going straight to the solenoid but when I do a continuity check the sol.gnd isn't showing continuity. It's acting like it's going through a capacitor or something... but again, that's not shown on the schematics. And since the person that owns the rights to Gottlieb's stuff won't let that stuff be shared, I'm not 100% sure I've got the full set of schematics (ran across some online).

Would GPE's sys80 test board be of ANY help with something like this? Because I'm literally at my wits' end with this machine.

Quoted from frunch:

Have you replaced the many edge connectors going to the boards? Does the game have ground mods done? Those are 2 things *every* system 80 game needs done sooner or later.
Have you checked voltage at the test points on the power supply board?

3 weeks later
#12 3 months ago

Okay, got my test boards in (MarLab/Leon's) and they're showing everything as okay. My HH board doesn't seem to be able to use the extended tests using the other EPROM, but the first part of the test seems to work fine.

So, what am I looking at. Normally, when you start a game on a fully working game what happens? I mean, I know the game starts... but since mine is freezing, is there a step I'm missing? Is it supposed to kick a relay somewhere or something?

#13 3 months ago

Pm sent with some help.
-Mike

#14 3 months ago

Thank you for all the help, everyone.

It ended up being a bad inverter on a 7404 that was holding the tilt (not slam).

#15 3 months ago

Which 7404? I know yours is a Sys80, but it may help me track down the stuck tilt on my Sys80b, although I'm getting continuity between the bob & bracket, so I'm thinking it's in the wiring.

#16 3 months ago

Z11 on the MPU board. Hope it'll help you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
King, NC
$ 329.00
€ 50.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
€ 55.00
€ 15.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 119.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 189.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 1,099.00
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside